Offer by email

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004 | 11:34 PM
Advanced

Smile Offer by email

Do any of you have a general format for emailing the internet sales mgr when offering/requesting a price on a car? I'm going to start emailing a few dealers with offers on a TSX and am just wondering if there is any specific language/terms I should include in emailing the offer. I remember seeing a form online where you basically just filled in the blanks with price, model, name, etc...

Thanks!
Hopefully I'll be a TSX owner in a week or two.
Old 03-11-2004 | 11:46 PM

My only suggestion is let them make the first offer. You don't want to leave any money on the table. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2004 | 11:53 PM
Team Owner

I did not save the e-mail I used but it went something like this:

" I am interested in a 2004 Acura TSX with Pearl White exterior, Parchment interior, 5AT transmission, without the navigation system. I will purchase one for $25,000 cash. If this offer is acceptable please let me know. I can complete the transaction at your dealership tomorrow afternoon."

I sent the e-mail to around 10 dealers within a 2 hr. drive radius. Several responded with counter offers or asked that I call them or stop at their dealership. I think only 2 or 3 were serious. One e-mailed me back 1/2 day later saying he accepts my offer. I called to make sure the deal was sqare, he faxed me the sales offer (including the VIN) and I called him with my credit card number for a deposit. Picked up my TSX 2 days later. This was toward the end of December 2003.
Old 03-12-2004 | 12:02 AM
Racer

Re: Offer by email

Originally posted by Ambient
Do any of you have a general format for emailing the internet sales mgr when offering/requesting a price on a car? I'm going to start emailing a few dealers with offers on a TSX and am just wondering if there is any specific language/terms I should include in emailing the offer. I remember seeing a form online where you basically just filled in the blanks with price, model, name, etc...

Thanks!
Hopefully I'll be a TSX owner in a week or two.
It's email.... there's nothing 'formal' about it.

I bought my TSX virtually by email. (haggled, bargained, and finally agreed on purchase price before I even saw my car to be)
The emails went something like this:

"Looking for blue 6speed tsx with nav. what you got?"

"Have blue but no nav, have carbon with nav. interested?"

"Nah. Find me a blue 6sp with nav and you've got a sale"

(2 weeks and several pushy emails later pass)

"we've got your car, want to come by and check it out?"

"can you get me $2000 off msrp?"

"let me see what I can do. can you give me your phone number so I may contact you"

"no, just email me, I check all the time, I only have a cell and it's private"

(hour later emails back)

"I can do $1000 off, are you trading something in?"

"No sale, I think I'll buy carbon 6sp my specs for $1600 off if I drive an hour away" (total lie)

(emails back 10 mins later)

"$1200 off msrp?"

"get me $1400 off and I'll be over in 10 mins with a personal check"

"You've got it. Stop by."

See, nothing formal about that
I've had harder times ordering consumer electronics online... seriously.
Old 03-12-2004 | 08:56 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

I remember seeing a form online where you basically just filled in the blanks with price, model, name, etc...
Yup, edmunds.com has an online form combined with lists of dealers.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-12-2004 | 09:32 AM
DPZ
Advanced

Some of the dealers have online forms you can submit but you can also just email. My preference was to do everything by email, saves time and easier to manage the negotiations. They'll try to get you to call or come in but will do email if you insist.

My preference was also to be very specific about what I wanted included (floor mats or whatever) and that I expected all dealer fees (prep, destination) to be included in the price. Saves going in and finding out about the $250 prep fee they want to add.

I think the best way is to negotiate is to keep the dealers bidding against each other. I was upfront with everyone that I was shopping around and would look for the best price. But start with an offer, you can make one up if you want (say for $28K for a navi), and see who's willing to beat that. Then, get dealers to try to beat that. When you sense you're getting close, decide which dealer you prefer (convenience or reputation) and offer them a chance for your business.
Old 03-12-2004 | 09:33 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by jlukja

" I am interested in a 2004 Acura TSX with Pearl White exterior, Parchment interior, 5AT transmission, without the navigation system. I will purchase one for $25,000 cash. If this offer is acceptable please let me know. I can complete the transaction at your dealership tomorrow afternoon."

I sent the e-mail to around 10 dealers within a 2 hr. drive radius. Several responded with counter offers or asked that I call them or stop at their dealership. I think only 2 or 3 were serious. One e-mailed me back 1/2 day later saying he accepts my offer. I called to make sure the deal was sqare, he faxed me the sales offer (including the VIN) and I called him with my credit card number for a deposit. Picked up my TSX 2 days later. This was toward the end of December 2003.
That's the same exact email I sent to dealers back in July . Only difference was that I gave them two color options, white and red. I offered same amount (25k for non-navi 5AT). I sent it to 6 dealers around Houston and got my car two days later for $25,200.
Old 03-12-2004 | 09:40 AM
DPZ
Advanced

The other thing I wanted to add, which I don't think I fully appreciated going in, is that if a salesman is willing to offer a good price, he will always chase the deal. He may wait a couple of days, but he will come to you if he's willing to deal in the price range you want. Make a hard and fast rule for yourself, after you've made initial contact, always wait for them to make the next offer. If they're interested in dealing, they will.

There are a lot of TSXs out there (even with the "limited production" some of these dealers like to talk about), you just need to buy one of them. Good luck to all.
Old 03-12-2004 | 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by jlukja

Found my old e-mail, here's the text:

"Good Morning,

I will be purchasing a TSX, white, parchmant interior, automatic, non-navi. Will pay cash. Interested in paying $25,000 (i.e. $2000 below MSRP) If price is acceptable I can visit your dealership tomorrow and complete the purchase. Currently have a 91 Integra LS in fair condition which runs well but trade-in is optional. Please let me know if you have one available and at what price."
Old 03-12-2004 | 04:08 PM
Advanced

Here is what I sent....

Good Afternoon,

I am looking to purchase a 2004 Acura TSX with Carbon Gray exterior, Ebony interior, 5AT transmission, without navigation. Over the next few days, I will be sending offers to various dealers in the Detroit and Chicago area, and will pay $25,300 plus taxes, registration, and title fees.
If you have a TSX that fits the above description, please contact me by email with the details and an itemized price. If presented with the right offer, I will make a deposit and take delivery on Friday, March 19th.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

I'll let you know if anyone bites.
Old 03-12-2004 | 10:01 PM
Instructor

Got my TSX in NJ at end of Jan 04. Paid $27k for silver+Navi with Free protection package (mud guard, trunck tray and wheel lock).
Heard someone here got $400 over invoice with protection pk + spoiler at the same dealership.
$500 over invoice is very doable for TSX now.. Maybe even below invoice since the bad crash test just released....
Old 03-13-2004 | 12:46 PM
A Saitama Garage

27k is excellent for the car in my opinion. In Northern VA the car is so much in demand that it's hard to lay your hands on one. I got 27, 643 for the car plus tax, tags, title. I thought I did average I was pretty happy with it especially since they were able to get my car from a d-ship in Chesapeake within 24 hours. So I didnt' really wait, plus they threw in the usual stuff: floormats (no big deal there), wheel locks, and free oil changes and inspections for life (which I thought was a nice touch). How do y'all think I did?
Old 03-15-2004 | 09:25 PM
Advanced

Well, I got a reply today from Acua of Troy with an offer of $25,500 + Tax, Title, Doc. Total price out of the door...$27,132. Not bad at all. Should I ask for the trunk tray, all season mats, and wheel locks to seal the deal? Or maybe fogs? I offered $25,300 to begin with.
Old 03-16-2004 | 12:40 AM
Team Owner

Well, I got a reply today from Acua of Troy with an offer of $25,500 + Tax, Title, Doc. Total price out of the door...$27,132. Not bad at all. Should I ask for the trunk tray, all season mats, and wheel locks to seal the deal? Or maybe fogs? I offered $25,300 to begin with.
Never hurts to ask. If you're within $200 then its almost a done deal. Split the difference with the dealer and drive away in a beautiful new TSX.
Old 03-16-2004 | 12:20 PM
Master in Science

I sent e-mails to 10 dealers in southern California last July. None wanted to negotiate much ($500 max). Finally I walked into the 11th dealer I found for a last resort deal and got $1K below MSRP. I guess I met the right person.