Newb Questions, TSX vs. TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb Questions, TSX vs. TL

Hello all,

This is my first post so please fogive me if I missed a previous post that discussed this (It's probably been beaten to death already). I presently have an S2000, but I'm seriously considering something a little tamer for my daily commute.

I went to visit my local Acura dealer and immediately fill in love with the TSX as soon as I sat in it. Then I drove it. Sorry guys but this thing is slow, and handling was pretty mushy. No dissing intended. But even compared to my old GSR beater it seemed pretty weak. How do they perform after they break-in? Do they get any better? I know they're built in Japan and that's a major bonus, but I just can't get past that test drive because I was so disappointed with the performance.

So next I drove the TL. Performance difference is night and day of course. But these are made here in the states, and I've read about all of the quality control issues. But the performance with the 6 speed is awesome, and the real gas mileage is amazing too.

Can you guys convince me to go with the TSX over the TL? What made you choose the TSX? What kind of real world gas mileage figures can I expect with the TSX wit a 6 speed? What's a fair price in So. Cal. for a 6 speed with Navi? I can get a TL with Navi for 31,500.

Thanks everyone,
Markk
Old 07-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Funny...there's a recent thread about someone wanting to trade in their TSX for an S2000. If you care about the speed/power, get the TL or you will join the "I traded my TSX for a Legacy GT/350z/Evo/STI" club. A TL for $31,500 is pretty good so I will definitely take that over the TSX. As far as quality control goes, most of the rattles are found on the '04 TLs. I would suggest waiting a few months for the 2007 TL to come out with new goodies. And yes, this topic has been covered waaay too many times. Search is your friend =).
Old 07-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Markks2000
Hello all,

This is my first post so please fogive me if I missed a previous post that discussed this (It's probably been beaten to death already). I presently have an S2000, but I'm seriously considering something a little tamer for my daily commute.

I went to visit my local Acura dealer and immediately fill in love with the TSX as soon as I sat in it. Then I drove it. Sorry guys but this thing is slow, and handling was pretty mushy. No dissing intended. But even compared to my old GSR beater it seemed pretty weak. How do they perform after they break-in? Do they get any better? I know they're built in Japan and that's a major bonus, but I just can't get past that test drive because I was so disappointed with the performance.

So next I drove the TL. Performance difference is night and day of course. But these are made here in the states, and I've read about all of the quality control issues. But the performance with the 6 speed is awesome, and the real gas mileage is amazing too.

Can you guys convince me to go with the TSX over the TL? What made you choose the TSX? What kind of real world gas mileage figures can I expect with the TSX wit a 6 speed? What's a fair price in So. Cal. for a 6 speed with Navi? I can get a TL with Navi for 31,500.

Thanks everyone,
Markk
I had a chance to drive an S2000 about a month ago and loved it. The power was "right on time". It made me not want to get back into my TSX, lol. I have driven a TL also for about 2 days and must say it does have alot on the TSX. If you are going for power the TSX is clearly not for you. However, I do see the TSX as sportier and more compact than the TL. I personally do not care for the interior of the TL. You slide on the seats when taking curves and to me it just seems to "float" more. I didnt feel as safe in the TL as in my TSX (maybe just because I am used to mine).

As for my TSX. I have a 6MT and get about 23-25 MPG. That is with me being pretty aggressive (from my standards) with it. I like my car alot. I have Tein Flex suspension on it and it handles GREAT! There is a huge difference having that and getting in a car w/out it. You would have to drive one with it to understand that is is soooo worth the money to have that done. Just my

Why do you not want the S2000 anymore?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. After speaking to many owners of TLs I'm surprised gas mileage is easily 30+ on the road. I would hope the TSX would get at least that much if not more. My S gets 30 going back & forth to work at ~70 MPH.

Believe me, I love the S2000, but it's just too intense for the dail commute. I'm driving my GSR on a daily basis now but it's getting old, it's a 94 and the paint is almost gone now. I don't like driving a car that looks like this. It's been well taken care of all it's life and I can't blame Acura for paint that held up this long, (look at Chevys!). So I'm thinking of selling both the GSR and the S and getting something more pleasent to drive. My S is perfect, and only has 15,000 miles on it, but it's just too intense for me. I'm getting old I guess (46).

Markk
Old 07-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Advanced

I would say go for the TL. Just from what I have gathered, it seems like you would probably be happier with that. I could see myself driving something like a TL maybe 10 years down the road, when I am not worried about taking those curves fast...haha.....

Good luck with whatever choice you make!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I'd do some searches in here. I've read some pretty convincing arguements for the TSX.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Seems like you're already leaning heavily towards the TL. I'd go with your gut and get it. Searching on here will give you tons of opinions, but they're everyone else's opinions, and when buying a car, your opinion is the only one that counts.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Handling mushy compared to what, the TL? Compared to your S2000 sure. The general consesus on both boards is that the TSX easily outhandles the bigger TL. As for power, the TSX should be slightly quicker than your 94 GS-R.

And I agree that it seems you'd be happier with the TL. Some people just can't settle with the power the TSX has to offer.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Intermediate

How do they perform after they break-in? Do they get any better?

I am no expert, but i went to the dealer with the intent to buy used. First they had me test a new one and later i tested the used that i bought. I felt that the new one was definitely more sluggish than the new one. So my guess is yes, it does need to break in.

As far as TLs. My parents have had 3 so I have done my share of driving it. It is definitely a heavier more powerful car, but i would say the handling and "funness" factor of the TSX is better. They r both great cars.
The 30+ mpg for the TL though? i doubt it.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You seem to be more on the side of the TL. The TSX is a great commuter car but lacks the punch. When I had one for a day as loaner, I couldn't wait to get my TL back just for the instant power. Everything else about it is great the interior , the looks, the handling, put a kit on it and it makes you drool. Good luck either way and the GS-R is also a fun car to drive.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Handling mushy compared to what, the TL? Compared to your S2000 sure. The general consesus on both boards is that the TSX easily outhandles the bigger TL. As for power, the TSX should be slightly quicker than your 94 GS-R.

And I agree that it seems you'd be happier with the TL. Some people just can't settle with the power the TSX has to offer.

TL is a cruiser, TSX is a canyon carver. Both great cars, but totally different purposes.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Pro

Thanks for the replies. After speaking to many owners of TLs I'm surprised gas mileage is easily 30+ on the road. I would hope the TSX would get at least that much if not more. My S gets 30 going back & forth to work at ~70 MPH.

Believe me, I love the S2000, but it's just too intense for the dail commute. I'm driving my GSR on a daily basis now but it's getting old, it's a 94 and the paint is almost gone now. I don't like driving a car that looks like this. It's been well taken care of all it's life and I can't blame Acura for paint that held up this long, (look at Chevys!). So I'm thinking of selling both the GSR and the S and getting something more pleasent to drive. My S is perfect, and only has 15,000 miles on it, but it's just too intense for me. I'm getting old I guess (46).

Markk
I'd search this forum if I were you. The TL vs TSX has been discussed many, many, many times over the years and a lot of us here drove both and bought the TSX instead (a few choose poorly since they cleary wanted more power). I don't know if you can tell, but this is why you aren't getting a lot of (detailed) responses. CGTSX2004 and dom summed it up pretty well.

Also, it's possible to get 40+ mpg in the TSX if you work at it. 30+ is easy on the highway, mid-20's in the city/traffic.

The TSX is no more or less a "commuter car" than the TL.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Have camera, will travel

Oh boy! Another TSX v. TL thread!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Banned

A good thread would be Acura TSX vs Cadillac CTS. Everybody already knows the TL eats the TSX for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a few snacks in a TL vs TSX comparison.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
A good thread would be Acura TSX vs Cadillac CTS. Everybody already knows the TL eats the TSX for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a few snacks in a TL vs TSX comparison.

In a straight line maybe.

But a straight line doesn't mean everything.

And the CTS is more TL competition. Unless your reffering to the 2.8L CTS.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Race Director

If you're financially set at 46, why don't you get an RL? Speed and Japan build quality.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
If you're financially set at 46, why don't you get an RL? Speed and Japan build quality.

<--- Can't believe you didn't suggest G35.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Racer

Can you guys convince me to go with the TSX over the TL? What made you choose the TSX?...
TSX, 6-spd version, has been on the Car & Driver 10-Best List three years in a row. TL hasn't been on once.

What kind of real world gas mileage figures can I expect with the TSX wit a 6 speed?...
Only have ~1,400 miles on the '06, averaging ~27.5 mpg in mixed driving.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dom
<--- Can't believe you didn't suggest G35.

He might not be a fan of Nissan/Infiniti
Old 07-06-2006, 02:37 PM
VSA Rocks

Then I drove it. Sorry guys but this thing is slow, and handling was pretty mushy. No dissing intended. But even compared to my old GSR beater it seemed pretty weak. How do they perform after they break-in? Do they get any better? I know they're built in Japan and that's a major bonus, but I just can't get past that test drive because I was so disappointed with the performance.

By the sounds of it, you drove an auto, right? Because I can't for the life of me think of a teg (which I came from) feeling faster than a 6MT 2006 TSX. My current TSX will blow the doors off my old teg. If you have a built B18C, that's a completely different story....

As far as the quality "issues" with the TL, I wouldn't put much into the whole "USA vs. Japan" mentality. Both are cars that will last well over 8 years and have some minor rattle issues.

You going to keep the S2000 as the weekend car?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the replies everybody. To answer some of the questions posted above: I drove a 6MT TSX, and both an auto and 6MT TL. Believe me, my wife and I were both sold on the TSX the minute we sat in it, but it just felt way underpowered. It had an obvious kick about 6000 rpm, then went right to the rev limiter. I realize that part of my problem is I'm comparing it's power to what I have now and there's just no comparison. Perhaps I'll go drive another one. I did check out an IS250 today and was very impressed with it. Price-wise it's about the same as a TL. I also took a quick look at the Maxima, very quick look-NO THANKS!
Again thank you all for the replies. I'll let you know how my next test drive goes.

Markk
Old 07-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Thanks for the replies everybody. To answer some of the questions posted above: I drove a 6MT TSX, and both an auto and 6MT TL. Believe me, my wife and I were both sold on the TSX the minute we sat in it, but it just felt way underpowered. It had an obvious kick about 6000 rpm, then went right to the rev limiter. I realize that part of my problem is I'm comparing it's power to what I have now and there's just no comparison. Perhaps I'll go drive another one. I did check out an IS250 today and was very impressed with it. Price-wise it's about the same as a TL. I also took a quick look at the Maxima, very quick look-NO THANKS!
Again thank you all for the replies. I'll let you know how my next test drive goes.

Markk
you were impressed with the IS but not the TSX? You can't be serious...
Old 07-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Ditto....isnt the IS250 about the same in terms of performance with the TSX? just a little more torque and a whole lot more $$.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't believe I am going to say this, but.... Markk based on your responses, have you looked at the 3 Series. It has more power than the TSX and handles better than both and some are also drawn by the snob appeal. The drawbacks to the 3 are: price, drab interior and everyone and their sister has one in SoCal.

Otherwise, if you think the TSX is too underpowered, then go with the TL and get the A Spec suspension to sharpen the handling.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:45 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went to visit my local Acura dealer and immediately fill in love with the TSX as soon as I sat in it. Then I drove it. Sorry guys but this thing is slow, and handling was pretty mushy.

Believe me, my wife and I were both sold on the TSX the minute we sat in it, but it just felt way underpowered.

Markk

Slow and mushy?? for me the TSX had more than adequate power, I have owned other cars with 4 cyl engine and range mostly from 120 - 160HP quite a difference when I finally got my hands on the TSX....205HP is more than enough for me IMO. As far as handling, this is one of the best handling car I have driven....I test drove both the TSX and TL twice (back to back) and the TSX won over for me because of the driving dynamics.....like the way it handle lane changes (very quick and smooth), able to handle corners confidently and quickly. I do feel the suspension to be stiffer and felt the road surfaces more than the other vehicles that I have previously owned but I do like it better than the TL which I felt disconnected from the road and feels like a boat similar to mom's Lincoln Town car!!

TSXmeister
Old 07-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Yes, I am serious. It felt more powerful than the TSX. I know on paper, and from the road tests that I've read on the TSX, it should run pretty good but I just don't feel it. It's a beautiful car and I'd have one in my garage right now if it had more power.

Markk
Old 07-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Pro

Yes, I am serious. It felt more powerful than the TSX. I know on paper, and from the road tests that I've read on the TSX, it should run pretty good but I just don't feel it. It's a beautiful car and I'd have one in my garage right now if it had more power.

Markk
Hondata reflash - $600....now go buy the TSX.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Burning Brakes

You really have to let the engine rev a bit to get the most power out of it. Some people just aren't used to that. Could that be part of it?
Old 07-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Pro

How about a S/C TSX vs a TL? lol. I luv more car even more now. But it seems like you want the v6 and the TL.. so go for it.

When i had the TL as loaners a few times, i luved the power but i did not like the handling and floaty feeling. I did not feel confident taking quick turns. However, the a-spec TL maybe a different story.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Hmmm the TL versus TSX thread is only trumped by the G35 versus TL thread. These cars are aimed at different groups of people and tastes. The cars are pretty much identical as far as interior goes. If you want on-demand power and a quiet cabin, go for the TL (yes you will get 30-33 mpg highway, 20-24 city). If you want a smaller car to toss around and don't mind revving the engine, go with the TSX. That IS250 is very nice on the inside. Top notch Lexus materials. You should look at the 3 series to if you don't have your mind set on a Honda product.

Don't look for anyone to talk you into their decision, this is a decision you have to make on your own. They are both fine cars.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vidgamer
You really have to let the engine rev a bit to get the most power out of it. Some people just aren't used to that. Could that be part of it?
I'm plenty used to this because I drive an S2000, and an Integra GSR.

"You should look at the 3 series to if you don't have your mind set on a Honda product."

Thanks STEELTOWN, this is next on my list. I'm also going to drive the TSX again too.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Pro

It does sound like you want more of a sports sedan than the entry-level TSX can offer. Definitely the 3 for you or check out the 2007 G35 when it arrives - it looks improved inside and out, though the gas mileage probably hasn't improved :-P I think even the new 325i would make you happy, coming from an S2000. More sport? BMW. More luxo? Lexus. Blend? Infiniti (emphasis more sport) or Acura (emphasis more luxo)