NEW TSX Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
Either he doesn't do these things, has another vehicle to transport them, or goes in someone else's vehicle.
Well, having a different vehicle for just that purpose is a waste of money. That's why roof rack/hitch rack sells.

If you're married, and for example, you drive a TSX, and your wife drives a suburban(or anything meant for hauling/carrying), then it makes sense.

If you're single, and you have a TSX and an another car for just hauling your bike/skis, then it is a waste of money. So much cheaper to put on a roof rack/hitch rack.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by amadeus303
Sorry to resurrect an old arse thread, but was looking to pick up a roof rack for next year after dealing with my 2nd winter of stuffing my boards into my trunk with the backseats down...

Since the Accord rack doesn't come with a faring, how's the noise with it? Do you ever exceed 70mph with the rack on (and loaded)? I'm torn between going OEM vs. getting a Yakima.
I have the Yakima rack with the fairing. Wind noise obviously increases, but it is not so loud that I mind it. but, fairing does help.

Some really hate the roof rack, because it looks ugly (I like it) too much wind noise (I really don't mind) and scratches the car (put protective 3M tape on it) but I put protective tape where the rack touches the car, so no scratches
Old 04-03-2007, 11:52 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Do you guys drive slower when you have the roof rack on? I was always hesitant to put one on my car --- obviously, the potential scratching always concerned me... wasn't sure if gas mileage would be significantly affected... wasn't sure if my boards would get damaged, especially since I travel ~2 hrs. to go up to my local mountain.

I'm really just fed up with putting my back seats down, laying out towels over the backs of the seats, etc. It's too tedious... and while I don't usually have someone else in the car when I go shredding (I generally meet my friends at the resort), it'd be nice to actually be able to have people in the car --- especially since I finally convinced my wife to give it a shot

Daffunda --- thanks for the input... any thoughts on Yakima vs. OEM?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by amadeus303
Do you guys drive slower when you have the roof rack on? I was always hesitant to put one on my car --- obviously, the potential scratching always concerned me... wasn't sure if gas mileage would be significantly affected... wasn't sure if my boards would get damaged, especially since I travel ~2 hrs. to go up to my local mountain.

I'm really just fed up with putting my back seats down, laying out towels over the backs of the seats, etc. It's too tedious... and while I don't usually have someone else in the car when I go shredding (I generally meet my friends at the resort), it'd be nice to actually be able to have people in the car --- especially since I finally convinced my wife to give it a shot

Daffunda --- thanks for the input... any thoughts on Yakima vs. OEM?
I haven't seen the OEM rack, so I can't say. So far, the Yakima rack lasted me for three seasons, going on fourth. I hate putting bike/skis/boards in the car (especially bikes) since it scratches up the interior if you don't do it meticulously.

You may also consider putting on a hitch and put a carrier on it, but I personally don't like it for several reasons. (One being you have to remove the rear under air diffuser plastic thing to put the hitch on.) But again, some like it up top, some like it on the rear end. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by Daffunda
[...]

Some really hate the roof rack, because it looks ugly (I like it) too much wind noise (I really don't mind) and scratches the car (put protective 3M tape on it) but I put protective tape where the rack touches the car, so no scratches
Hi Daffunda, could you tell me what type of tape this is? Where do you find it? I've got a Yakima rack that I need to put on soon for MtBike season - your suggestion is a good one and I'd like to protect the car.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beside the functuality of the rack, yuck. Looks really out there, I understand that your using it for its real purpose, but, I'd have that thing off all other times
Old 04-03-2007, 10:23 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by SimpleWhite
Beside the functuality of the rack, yuck. Looks really out there, I understand that your using it for its real purpose, but, I'd have that thing off all other times
I hear ya, man (although I think it looks somewhat neat in an outdoor-sy sort of way)... I have no plans of keeping the rack on the car when I'm not using it to go up to the mountain --- it doesn't really go with my "dark" (black on black) look

The sad part is that throwing my snowboards in the car for the last 2 winters has really annoyed the crap out of me... I've considered (and still wonder from time to time) if I should just trade my ride in and get something like an Element. I dig 'em, but I'd miss the feeling of a sporty ride. It's not like you can take a box truck on a spirited run through the twisties
Old 04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hunterk1
Hi Daffunda, could you tell me what type of tape this is? Where do you find it? I've got a Yakima rack that I need to put on soon for MtBike season - your suggestion is a good one and I'd like to protect the car.
I got the 3M tape from the guy who did the invisible 3M bra on my vehicle. I'm sure you can get those online. Those films are very though.

Or you can also use the automotive clear duct tape, which is also pretty strong....
Old 05-16-2007, 01:30 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Anyone w/ the OEM rack every try to put an aftermarket fairing on to cut down on the wind noise? I've heard some posters say that they thought the OEM rack looked like a rebadged Thule. Just wondering if this could work...
Old 10-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump - anyone else looking at getting a rack for this yrs ski/snowboard season??

I've used my backseat long enough and am kinda fed up with it... altho I do think a roof rack is ugly, during the winter with my winter tires on steelies i'm not too concerned about looks... i'd rather have a hassle free trip up to the mtn and back and have the ability to take people along for the ride...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 PM
PWP/ebony/6MT/Navi

I'm thinking about it... my first winter with the car, and I just spent $$$$$ on the winter tires and new alloys, but I'm anxiously awaiting the new ski season... I'm just nervous putting a ski rack on this car... somehow it didn't matter with the old Civic. This car just scratches so easily. :-(