New TSX owner observations

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004 | 04:02 PM
TSX Owner

Thumbs up New TSX owner observations

Recently purchased TSX (CGP/qtrz 6sp non). My 2cents:
Very very pleased with it (I used to drive an 01 Accord EX, this is a few steps up to say the least). I have owned hondas since college (reliability & resale!!!), so this was a perfect upgrade for me.

Researched, reviewed, & studied sites like this to the hilt. Test drove the car 3 different times to make sure, esp. after reading negative comments about lack of power and rattles.
Anyway, I find the car does not rattle (yet, KOW) & moves fast (esp compared to 01 and older accords, and my girlfriends 240hp pathfinder). I am really impressed when already in motion (say, going 45mph and downshifting to 3rd). Driving at night is extra nice, with the hid's and interior LED's in the gauges, dash and console.

Biggest complaint might be that the placement of the steering controls seem high to me (given my natural hands on the wheel postions), but it is a three spoke so I guess to look sporty, there was no real other option (and I may at some point, find this easier to deal with). Also, in the accord, I could change the stereo manually without lifting my arms off of the armrest, so the dash controls also are a little high on the TSX, as I find myself reaching up to switch controls (would have prefered to have climate control on top of stereo). I really want some side moldings on it and wish they were easier to get, maybe they will be offered by Acura in the future (I park in a busy parking lot at work).
That's it in the gripes department. Nothing too major.

That being said...
the car is smooth, quiet (rattle free so far!!!), fast enough, decent on gas, loaded, looks great (conservative/sporty), handles well, and is rare out on the open road. It is winning awards and accolades left and right. For the money, I think I made a great choice.
Old 01-15-2004 | 04:06 PM
Race Director

glad u joined the tsx car club, like you, i was an accord driver too. i had a 99 accord ex before driving this car and the Tsx is the best car I've bought. since u're a fellow 98-02 6th gen Accord owner, do u still see exterior similarities between the 98-02 Accord sedan and the Tsx? I do a little in the front end only am I right?
Old 01-15-2004 | 04:21 PM
TSX Owner

I see some similiarities, like you said, looking at the front end, esp around the widened tire wells (comparing 01 EX). But it is a honda, which is why I got it in the first place, so I am glad I see some fimiliar traits. But, it does not drive like a honda, which makes it even better!!!
The stiffer suspension, the wider tires, the performance, the loaded options, that is all new to me, which is nice. "This is not your father's Olds...uh, Honda"
Old 01-16-2004 | 01:08 AM
Cruisin' the Azine's

I just got my TSX today! Picked her up at 4pm. NHB/Parch 5AT Non-navi. I am also a 6th gen accord driver. I definitely see the resemblence, esp in the front end. There are many more nostalgic reminders (key in the ign w/ door open chime, foglight operation, non one-touch moonroof, same basic dash layout.) But alas, when I turn the key and step on the gas...man, this is what my accord should have been like!
Old 01-16-2004 | 01:52 AM
UK Spec

mine is still in the works!!!!

gona go down to acura prob next week to place the deposit!!!
Old 01-16-2004 | 02:08 AM
Racer

Re: New TSX owner observations

Originally posted by ECsteve
Recently purchased TSX (CGP/qtrz 6sp non).
Also, in the accord, I could change the stereo manually without lifting my arms off of the armrest, so the dash controls also are a little high on the TSX, as I find myself reaching up to switch controls (would have prefered to have climate control on top of stereo).
Too bad. Sounds like you coulda used that voice control!

Congrats on your sexy new purchase, and thanks for the added perspective.
Old 01-26-2004 | 09:54 AM
Pro

I too have a 6th gen accord ex 4 cyl. How do the two engines compare? Do you see a considerably larger output of power coming from the TSX? I mean our 6th gen was a 2.3 and the TSX is a 2.4...How much more oompf is there? Do you feel more kick when passing on highways when down shifting?
Old 01-26-2004 | 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: New TSX owner observations

Originally posted by ECsteve
Recently purchased TSX (CGP/qtrz 6sp non).......
Nice choice Mine's your twin. Congrats.
Old 01-26-2004 | 10:38 AM
Racer

Re: Re: New TSX owner observations

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Nice choice Mine's your twin. Congrats.
Make that identical triplets

As far as the steering wheel button placement, I agree they could be a little lower. But I kinda adapted my grip on the wheel to be a little higher, so now it just feels normal. My cousin's '00 BMW 328 has steering wheel buttons just as high, if not higher, if that makes any of us feel better. (Although his buttons are illuminated at night:'( )

Congrats on a smart and fun purchase!
Old 01-26-2004 | 11:10 AM
bleh...

Re: Re: New TSX owner observations

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Nice choice Congrats.
yup, nice choice. I used to have a 2001 Honda Accord EX sedan too. It was the Eternal Blue color and it was traded in for my TSX last May.
Old 01-26-2004 | 03:52 PM
Evil Empire Peon

I think I have the highest "previous vehicle" jump on this thread then.

1986 Honda Civic Wagovan AT -> 2004 Acura TSX 5AT.
Old 01-26-2004 | 05:06 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by HuKaShI
I too have a 6th gen accord ex 4 cyl. How do the two engines compare? Do you see a considerably larger output of power coming from the TSX? I mean our 6th gen was a 2.3 and the TSX is a 2.4...How much more oompf is there? Do you feel more kick when passing on highways when down shifting?
The Tsx has more power than the 6th gen accord and I feel like the engine isn't struggling to move the car in the Tsx compared to the 99 accord sedan i had. when i put the gas pedal down on the accord, it felt like it was using all of its power, but in the Tsx it doesn't feel like its struggling at all, feels more like a V6. but, isn't it odd that the V6 Accord coupe/sedan of the 98-02 body style had 200hp too?
Old 01-26-2004 | 05:37 PM
Instructor

Welcome to the Club!!!

Glad you're enjoying your car! I've been driving mine (6spdMT/Milano Red/Parchment) since May of 2003 and it took me awhile to get used to people staring as I drive by and asking me questions in parking lots...I'm sure you'll get that too!

In response to a few of the points you make:

The placement of the steering controls seem high to me
You'll get used to it...my biggest complaint about them is that they're not lit, so when driving at night be careful not to turn up your volume when you mean to set the cruise Also, I was always a "10-2" driver before I got my TSX...if you change to more of a "9-3" driver you'll find you can just move your thumbs and get the controls no problem!

I really want some side moldings on it and wish they were easier to get, maybe they will be offered by Acura in the future (I park in a busy parking lot at work).
A lot of people have mentioned wanting side-moldings on their car and I have to be honest...I had side moldings on my previous 2 cars (2001 Acura 1.7 EL, 1999 Honda Civic) and it didn't make a lick of difference - I had door dings up the ying-yang. You'll notice that on most cars, the placement of the side-moldings is too low to really give any protection (the dings on my previous 2 cars were both well-above the level of the side moldings). Honestly, I think moldings would wreck the sleek smooth lines of the TSX.

Anyways, glad you're enjoying the car...happy TSX-ing!!!
Old 01-26-2004 | 06:12 PM
Got Ramen?

Originally posted by HuKaShI
there's a VERY big difference from the 6th gen accord 4banger vs the TSX. TSX felt more like a V6 to me wen i test drove it. My 98 accord feels so laggy and even so wen i have 2 passengers with me. Even my friend who test drove the new Accords says tat it felt a lot more powerful than my car. So big step...could it be the DOHC??

anyhoo, i recently test drove a used 2k1 IS300 (it was a good deal and rare color) and as good as tat car was, i will stick to the planned purchase of a TSX (better interior and styling IMO). I'm waiting on the 2005 models...
Old 01-27-2004 | 12:27 PM
TSX Owner

ditto above-
The power difference is obvious when comparing the 6th gen accord 4cyl vs the TSX. Maybe not off the line, but get it moving and punch it (when most of us really need it/want it) = no comparision. And it moves quietly, v6ish as stated.
Amazing what some tweaking can do for a 4cyl.