New Car Smell = TOXIC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Car Smell = TOXIC?

Can we not enjoy ANYTHING anymore?

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - A Michigan environmental group is charging that at least part of the so-called "new car smell" is toxic, and that the interior of an automobile has dangerous levels of various chemicals.

The report, "Toxic at any speed," comes from The Ecology Center, an Ann Arbor, Mich.-based group. It reports that PBDEs, used as fire retardants, and phthalates, used primarily to soften PVC plastics, are found in dangerous amounts in dust and windshield film samples.

It called for tougher regulations to phase out the use of the chemicals as well as voluntary moves by the auto manufacturers to stop using the products inside of new vehicles.

It also suggested that car owners take steps to reduce the release and breakdown of these chemicals by using solar reflectors, ventilating car interiors, and parking outside of sunlight whenever possible.

The group says that phthalates are partly responsible for the smell associated with new cars.

Drivers and passengers are exposed to these chemicals through inhalation and contact with dust, according to the group's report.

"These groups of chemicals have been linked to birth defects, impaired learning, liver toxicity, premature births and early puberty in laboratory animals, among other serious health problems," according to the report.

"We can no longer rely just on seatbelts and airbags to keep us safe in cars," said a statement from Jeff Gearhart, the Ecology Center's Clean Car Campaign Director who co-authored the report. "Our research shows that autos are chemical reactors, releasing toxins before we even turn on the ignition. There are safer alternatives to these chemicals, and innovative companies that develop them first will likely be rewarded by consumers."

The group found Volvo was found to have the lowest levels of phthalates and the second-lowest levels of PBDEs, which it said made the Ford Motor Co. (Research)-owned unit the industry leader in terms of indoor air quality. Volvo also has the toughest policies for phasing out these chemicals.

Other auto manufacturers had more mixed records on the two types of chemicals, according to the group's survey. For example, Korean auto manufacturer Hyundai had the lowest level of PBDEs, but the highest level of phthalates.

The group said it was told by Ford officials that the auto manufacturer has eliminated PBDEs from "interior components that customers may come into contact with." Ford had among the lowest level of PBDEs in its vehicles, and General Motors (Research) and BMW vehicles also had lower-than-average levels for all chemicals tested. But Mercedes, Chrysler, Toyota and Subaru had higher-than-average levels of both PBDEs and phthalates.

In response to the study, one industry group defended the use of PBDEs as an important contributor to vehicle safety.

The Bromine Science and Environmental Forum said in a statement that PBDEs known as Deca-BDE have been extensively studied in the U.S. and Europe -- including a 10-year-long risk assessment -- and found to be safe for continued use.

"If automobile manufacturers follow the guidance in the report, it could result in lowering fire safety for the public, as well as promoting the use of unidentified alternative substances about which very little may be known," said the group's statement. It said it is crucial that autos have the best possible flame retardants available in case of accidents.

"In 2004 alone, there were approximately 297,000 car fires in the United States, leading to 550 deaths. If effective flame retardants were not used, this number would certainly be higher," the group's statement said.

The report was released Jan. 11 during the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, but it received little attention outside of Michigan.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hahaha... I think that Michigan group needs to focus on their Lakes more than the new car smell.

I say go hug a tree or suck on my tail pipe... choose one and stick with it.

"Save a seal.... kill a whale"
Old 01-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I guess dealers will have to put those "new car smell" air fresheners in cars before delivery so that customers will still get the "new car experience."

Old 01-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Absolutely ridiculous. The report isn't really even suggesting these chemicals are harmful to the environment, just toxic to humans. I may be a relative newbie to car discussions, but as a chemist I am not new to the world of phthalates and other polymers. The levels used in animal labs to determine toxicity are tens to hundreds of times higher with no ventilation. As we all know, the new car smell quickly dissipates due to ventilation and we don't spend 24 hours a day in our cars. As with most "chemical" products, there is NO evidence even suggesting that ONE human has suffered due to plastic softening chemicals. In fact, the cigar you light up celebrating your new TSX will be more carcinogenic than the duration of your new car smell.

Interesting that the MICHIGAN group releasing the so-called study rates Ford as among the best
Old 01-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by IlliNorge
Absolutely ridiculous. The report isn't really even suggesting these chemicals are harmful to the environment, just toxic to humans. I may be a relative newbie to car discussions, but as a chemist I am not new to the world of phthalates and other polymers. The levels used in animal labs to determine toxicity are tens to hundreds of times higher with no ventilation. As we all know, the new car smell quickly dissipates due to ventilation and we don't spend 24 hours a day in our cars. As with most "chemical" products, there is NO evidence even suggesting that ONE human has suffered due to plastic softening chemicals. In fact, the cigar you light up celebrating your new TSX will be more carcinogenic than the duration of your new car smell.

Interesting that the MICHIGAN group releasing the so-called study rates Ford as among the best
Yes, I think I will copy my dad on this article. He's a toxicologist and will get a laugh out of it for sure.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
In fact, the cigar you light up celebrating your new TSX will be more carcinogenic than the duration of your new car smell.

That's exactly what I was thinking while reading that. I would bet smoking one single cigarette is more toxic than being in my car for the next 5 years.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Instructor

I have been a acura tech for 4 years i deal with new cars every day thats crap
altho it is hard to type with this huge lump on my hand ..... what who said that ???

I have been a acura tech for 4 years i deal with ne... wow this feels really familiar huh i must be going crazy or something...
Old 01-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Meh,......I heard about this a while ago. I dont care if it is toxic,.........smells so good.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:39 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The odor (i.e. new car smell) is called Outgassing.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by West6MT
Meh,......I heard about this a while ago. I dont care if it is toxic,.........smells so good.
This was on Canadian news channels months ago. I'd do all the venting and such if I cared enough... and if they made a "new car smell" air freshener that ACTUALLY smelled like a new car, instead of like crap. And, of course, the levels were actually high enough
Old 01-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Talked about this and other sources carcinogenic and teratogenic (birth defect causing) pollutants in grad school environmental health classes. Basically, to get rid of the new car smell, or to minimize its supposed effects, the answer is always gonna be just crack open a window. There are more important things to worry about.

Take all that cancer causing stuff with a grain of salt, especially from an pro-environment group. That was straight from my environmental health professor.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Yui
Pro

It's not toxic, but it sure is intoxicating. I got out of my 2006 TSX, which I picked up this past Saturday, over half an hour ago, but when I take light whiffs, I can still sense the smell hitting my olfactory nerves like a little slice of heaven.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I saw a similar article in the newspaper about new car scent being toxic from interior materials. They say plastics, glues, and interior linings from new car contains toxic materials that may be harmful to human when they are exposed for long time. And companies like Toyota and Nissan are finding a alternative way to reduce new car smell.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Racer

It's mostly all harmless.

The only call to concern would be a newborn / small child spending an extraordinary amount of time in a new car for weeks on end.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Only Acuras Since '93

They used to say that (and probably still do) about brand-new houses -- all the outgassing from the chipboard and adhesives and carpets is bad for you, so you ought to air it out. But that makes sense, you spend ten or twelve or twenty hours at a time in your house.

On the other hand, I try to spend less than five or six hours at a time in my TSX, and I try not to sleep in it, unless I just can't resist.