New car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New car!

Hey guys,

As most of you know i had been polling what to do about my job and car situation and have been missing for about 2 weeks now. Well i had finals for graduate classes, i started my new job 2 weeks ago, i bought my girlfriend a ring and i bought myself a car to use for commuting instead of the TSX. My reasons for getting the car were the site is horribly dirty, large, my car takes premium and i drive 55 miles on way, i have to drive more at work in around trucks and such, and i didn't want to beat up the TSX. I have been using it for the past week and a half and plan on fixing and doing maintenance on my new ride this weekend to start running it next week. Here are the specs on it...

The good:
1993 Honda Civic EX 2dr.
D16z6 SOHC VTEC
Auto tranny (i know but i needed it)
45,789 original miles (a guy in philly bought it from a old guy in Maryland)
repainted original red but def a Macco job but good enough.
All power features work perfectly
Interior is SPOTLESS!!!!
Both orignal keys, spare tire, and jack

The ok and maybe bad:
tranny shifts pretty hard from 2-3, plan on changing tranny fluid this weekend
1 softball size rust spot in the passenger side rear fender (bought bondo for this weekend)
3 different brand tires....LOL (2 yoko's up front and a goodyear and falken in the back)
thermostat doesn't shift all the way to hot, like its stuck, but hot enough for me
honestly, that is about it.

I had my mechanic look at it and he said to just fix that rust spot and he thinks it is a good little car. I got it for $3600 a little high, but honestly this car is pretty good shape and seems to run great so far except for that shift.

My plan for this weekend is mesh up the whole and apply the bondo followed up with some paint, change out plugs and wires, oil and filter, and tranny fluid. Any suggestions or anything i missed would be appreciated!

I only have a bad cell phone zoomed in pic i took through the screened window since it is pouring out here but i'll get some better ones up soon since this is just for those "this is worthless with out pics" guys....lol.......here ya go....
Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank goodness its not the 09 TSX.

I'm surprised its a Civic considering the type of road surface at construction sites. But, Honda's are relatively indestructible and give you good mileage which were the two biggest things you were looking for. Congrats, now you're really going to baby that TSX.

Oh, and congrats on the engagement too.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:09 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
congrats on the engagement and car... I'm glad everything worked out for you
Old 03-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Congrats on the car and the engagement!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jlukja
Thank goodness its not the 09 TSX.

I'm surprised its a Civic considering the type of road surface at construction sites. But, Honda's are relatively indestructible and give you good mileage which were the two biggest things you were looking for. Congrats, now you're really going to baby that TSX.

Oh, and congrats on the engagement too.
Thanks Jan

I went with the civic for that exact reason! The site is a strange clay material so when its dry its VERY dusty and when its wet, its really mushy but its all pretty compact. I will be able to get around with the civic just fine.

I haven't gotten the ring yet, its being made as we speak. I am thinking of doing a hot air ballon ride to pop the question in a month or so. I'll let ya know how it goes
Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Shyuperman and Jackie!!! Again, not engaged yet but soon to be!

Anyone have any tips for the civic and maintence before beginning to use it for my commute?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:02 PM
built for speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does this have to do with a first generation TSX?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by bbbuzzy
Maybe because he used to own one?

jwood_06TSX, you did real good - I'm jealous (I have a secret obsession with Civics, especially red ones). They are indestructible, get excellent mileage, and the best part, they are Hondas.

Good luck on your finals & popping the question. A hot air balloon ride will be a memorable engagement location!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:26 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by bbbuzzy
The thread is not focusing on the TSX. This is more suited for Car Talk.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:35 PM
detour

congrats man
Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
thats the ultimate commuter car. i think you made a great decision
Old 03-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
The thread is not focusing on the TSX. This is more suited for Car Talk.
Yeah, I know. But its related to a previous thread where Jordan was debating whether he would keep his TSX or not. So, its kinda related.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Racer

45k miles on a 1993 car?! That's... impressive
Old 03-20-2008, 02:21 AM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by jlukja
Yeah, I know. But its related to a previous thread where Jordan was debating whether he would keep his TSX or not. So, its kinda related.
Sorry, the "New Car!"(title of this tread) relating to the Civic we're discussing in the TSX forum confused me.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

I posted this here because of my other threads like Jan said. If you want to get technical MAYBE i should have added to that one but i figured it was a new car and i wanted a new thread ok!!!

Like Jan said, its kinda related

Thanks for the comments guys, i found the mileage hard to believe too but i actually think that is why the transmission shifts a little hard. I don't think this car has ever really been pushed much so i can't wait to see what it can actually do!! I will be changing the fluid this weekend and attempting bondo for the first time so we'll see how that goes and then i start driving next week!!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you got a beater!!! Good Luck with the car and the engagment!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

nice pick up! the price isn't too bad either! i could definitely use a beater. the tsx is accumulating a lot of miles too fast and is getting torn up from rock chips. I would like to use it as an evening car/weekend car rather than for everything.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
I posted this here because of my other threads like Jan said. If you want to get technical MAYBE i should have added to that one but i figured it was a new car and i wanted a new thread ok!!!

Like Jan said, its kinda related

Thanks for the comments guys, i found the mileage hard to believe too but i actually think that is why the transmission shifts a little hard. I don't think this car has ever really been pushed much so i can't wait to see what it can actually do!! I will be changing the fluid this weekend and attempting bondo for the first time so we'll see how that goes and then i start driving next week!!

It's ok with Jan, it's ok with me. He's the boss. I didn't want to sound like I was giving anyone shit, just clarifying the point. And hey, congratulations on your new car!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
It's ok with Jan, it's ok with me. He's the boss. I didn't want to sound like I was giving anyone shit, just clarifying the point. And hey, congratulations on your new car!
Hey, I'm just the tour guide with a hammer. I could be wrong sometimes, sometimes I miss stuff. No big deal. And, dj, you've been spot on a number of times so no worries here.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whaddup Jordan!

Wow....you've had a lot happen in two weeks. New Job, New Degree, New Fiance, new car. I'm not sure if it gets any better than that!! Congrats on everything man

That's a nice little beater you got there! It must be nice not having to worry about everything when driving/parking etc. That's the only thing about having a nice car like the TSX as a daily driver, you have to be a little more cautious. With a beater, you can hit something, and just laugh or shake it off Well, enjoy it man. Any plans for any mods? $30 corner lens replacement?!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Racer

This thread inspired me to also look for a cheap beater car to learn manual in after I'm done modding my TSX...
Old 03-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Whaddup Jordan!

Wow....you've had a lot happen in two weeks. New Job, New Degree, New Fiance, new car. I'm not sure if it gets any better than that!! Congrats on everything man

That's a nice little beater you got there! It must be nice not having to worry about everything when driving/parking etc. That's the only thing about having a nice car like the TSX as a daily driver, you have to be a little more cautious. With a beater, you can hit something, and just laugh or shake it off Well, enjoy it man. Any plans for any mods? $30 corner lens replacement?!
Thanks Kenny

Yea its been an pretty cool and overwhelming two weeks but it hasn't hit me yet, it still seems surreal!

Yea i plan on doing one good detail of the Civic this weekend assuming weather permitting of the exterior, oil, tranny fluid etc. The only problem is there is a pretty significant amount of rust on the suspension when i looked more closely last night. It all looks very superficial but its still there and its on the trailing arm, upper and lower arms, and the controling arms. The drum brake is covered but the interior looks just fine so mechanically it seems ok. If i can maybe find some parts from a junk yard or something i might try to swap a few of them.

Any mods to the civic or to the TSX? All i plan on doing with the TSX is fixing my fog light covers, finishing my custom lower intake section, putting the Ron Jon's back on, and honestly i think i'm done with it for a while. I need to save some money!! As for mods to the civic, none whatsoever except maybe an intake for better gas mileage but i don't know if thats even worth it....lol.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well a little update for those of you who were wondering where i went. My new job does not allow me to be on the computer hardly at all due to being out in the field. I really enjoy it! I have put over 8,000 miles on the civic already and its only been 3 months that i have been driving it! The only problems i have had with it is i needed to recharge the AC which is now good to go, and my mom had to use it one day while her car was in the shop and some did a hit and run on the bumper. It was $585 which wasn't worth dealing with the Insurance company over it (it was a hit and run...i hate some people). Oh, and i get between 32-35 MPG with the civic on regular gas whereas i was getting 26-28 with the TSX on my commute. Its 55 miles on way and then another 25 on the job and i do around 80-85 the ride here and back so the civic should pay for its self over the length of this job

I have only put about 1200 miles on the TSX.....LOL. I finished my air intake with the velocity stake and otherwise i have not done anything else to it and pretty much do not plan to as i am currently shopping for a house. If any of you have any suggestions about housing feel free to leave it here or PM me

I will post pics of the civic after this weekend when i do a little shoot with the TSX just for fun.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 AM
Engineer Extraordinaire

time 4 mods
Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow how'd I miss this thread earlier Jordan! Congrats on the 'new' car. Those are indestructable little cars. Did changing the tranny fluid help the rough 2-3 shift? My guess is that at that mileage, the original tranny fluid was still in there. Yuck!

Any updates on the forthcoming engagement?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Eric,

I did change the fluid, twice actually, and it helped it shift between 2.5-3k rpm's which was good. But, if it shifts between 3-4.5k rpm's, it shifts hard but anything higher than that it shifts fine. It still down shifts really hard but not as hard so its good enough to live with. the guy said the fluid was extremely dirty...lol

As for the engagement, we set a date and are just waiting to hear from our church for an interview....lol. We book a reception place, DJ, and just need to pick a photographer and a few other odds and ends but its going very well

NO mods to this thing. I am not putting any money into it if i don't have to. the only thing i thought about was an intake to maybe help with gas mileage but that is about it. However, the exhaust system is pretty rusty and may not pass inspection next year, and if that is the case the i will just go after market for headers, cat, exhaust because it would be cheaper than OEM probably. But i'll cross that path when it comes. It will need tires soon though so i'll be shopping for some sweet little 185/60/14's