Negotiating tips!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006 | 12:22 AM
Racer

Negotiating tips!

I need a little help from you guys...getting a TSX soon!
I'm trying to get a 06, Navi, spoiler, car cover.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2006 | 12:34 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Well I'm sure talking them into throwing the car cover, trunk tray, and all seaon mats isn't that hard if you pay a higher rate than what you can bargain for.

I'd go on find Acura dealers and call around for a quote and bargain. You can use the lower price to continue bargaining.
Old 04-24-2006 | 12:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PixelHarmony
Well I'm sure talking them into throwing the car cover, trunk tray, and all seaon mats isn't that hard if you pay a higher rate than what you can bargain for.

I'd go on find Acura dealers and call around for a quote and bargain. You can use the lower price to continue bargaining.
do I tell them what i want (spoiler...etc) first or wait till the end when I am happy with a price and act like I'm not happy with it?
Old 04-24-2006 | 12:45 AM
Master Graphic Artist

IMO I think most of the things you can get for your car, just buy aftermarket... You can usually find them for a lot less than the dealer charges.

I guess for my situation it was unique because I actually ran into a sales guy that gave me a great offer for a 6MT Non-Navi ($27,350) out the door after all fees and taxes.

But I did talk to about 10 Acura dealerships until I got an offer that someone else would match.
Old 04-24-2006 | 12:52 AM
Burning Brakes

First walk in with comparo cars so that they know you aren't bsing. Next claim to have a quote from another dealer (make it a little bit lower), if they say they can't do it. Walk out, if they offer you what you don't want be like I can't do it, I will just hold out on the purchase for a little while. Various strategies, do what you gotta do.
Old 04-24-2006 | 01:24 AM
Cruisin'

http://www.fightingchance.com
Old 04-24-2006 | 03:25 PM
Everyday Joe

I emailed every dealership within 300 miles of me and told them exactly what I wanted (color, AT, etc.) and that I wanted a price within 48 hours. I had responses from most of them and was ready to get a plane ticket to fly to DC when a local dealer (not the one I had been test driving at) called and matched the price (plus threw in free maintenance for 2 years).
I highly recommend my approach- no dealing with BSing dealers until you get your final couple and then try to get your local dealer to match your best price. Think about it...it's an easy sell for them. I never set foot in my dealer's showroom until I showed up to sign the paperwork and drive off in my car.
Old 04-24-2006 | 03:40 PM
Cogito Ergo Idiot

Definitely one of many valid approaches. My thoughts...

- Do your homework. Know invoice, retail, and 'real world' prices for everything. The internet a beautiful thing is.

- Negotiate everything separately. Getting you to think of multiple things at once puts you right in the palm of a good sales person/manager. Agree to a fair price for the car. Then the warranty, if you want one. Then the accessories. Then your trade if you have one.

- Play fair. Don't expect a free car, and in turn you can expect a reasonable negotiation process. They're in business to turn a buck. That's not to suggest you can't succeed in saving every last possible penny, but it probably won't be enjoyable.

The TSX was a late entry onto our list of candidates, so I actually paid a little more for the to-be-installed accessories than I would've liked. In retrospect, that's the only thing I would've done differently, saving myself ~ $250 in the process by doing more homework. Otherwise, I knew what was a fair price for the car, had a fair level of confidence in the warranty cost, and had a reasonable but firm figure in mind for our trade. I'd be embarrassed to admit how many vehicles I've bought over the past 12 years, but I can easily say that this was the most enjoyable transaction.
Old 04-24-2006 | 04:15 PM
My Garage

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=Negotiating
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=Negotiating
Old 04-24-2006 | 04:17 PM
Just dial 1911

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/
Old 04-24-2006 | 04:39 PM
Instructor

A lot of it depends on how much you want to 'deal' with the dealers. On my purchase ~2 weeks ago, I did similar to what keg1997 did, I prepared a RFQ (Request for Quote) outlining exact what I wanted (color, model, options, etc), but I only send it to 8 local dealers. I told them what my best price to date had been (from some initial inquiries), and basically asked them to make their best offer. The lowest price I got I ended up taking to my preferred dealer (who ironically didn't respond), who matched the price. They had higher prices on the accessories, but discounted the car to offset that, so the bottom line was the same.

If you are in a competative area, then this approach will probably get you 90%+ of the lowest possible price. You really need to be a hard negotiator to get the last few hundred dollars of savings. In my case, I presented the numbers to the salesman, he brought them to his manager, and 5 minutes last we started on the paperwork. Could I have maybe gotten more off the asking price, yeah, but I also didn't have to put myself in that type of opposing position.

Jeff
Old 04-24-2006 | 05:47 PM
Instructor

Arrow Confessions of a Car Salesman - Investigative Report

I downloaded this from Edmunds.com. It's very revealing:

Confessions of a Car Salesman