Old 05-31-2005 | 08:03 PM
Cruisin'

Need advise on bargaining on Certified Preowned Car

2004 Blue TSX, 6-Speed, Non-Nav
VIN: JH4CL95844C010251
Carfax checks ok.
Mileage: 24, 640
Dealer offer: $24,900
According to Internet Sales manager, the car came from wholesale auction. The car has no service records. From the carfax, it shows it was a lease.
Three things I noticed from my brief inspection and test drive:
1.) Interior plastic piece on driver's side door is missing (near door handle).
2.) The center cubbie (the top portion where you can put coins) does not stay down when you pull up. When pulling up, it comes up with the top piece.
3.) Front tires pretty worn out.
According to salesman, it will be covered bumper to bumper warranty for Certified Pre-Owned car is to 5-years 62k miles, and then Powertrain up to 7-years and 100k miles.

He was obviously pressuring me to make an offer since it's the last day of the month.
I said I'll call him back tomorrow.
He said I can get 3.9% financing for CPO via Honda, if I got a score of 720. I have about 700, so I would go to a Credit Union to get a better rate.

Checking NADA and KBB: I got these prices:
Retail: $24,945
Private Party:
Fair: $19,170
Good: $20,985
Excellent: $22,405

Questions:
What would be a fair price? I told the guy already that I think it's too high, considering invoice on a brand new one is $24,784.
It's high mileage for an '04
He put in 87 octane to fill up the car before we switched for me to drive. The manual recommends 91. Is putting 87 in the car ok?
I saw that the TL comes with LSD (Limited Slip Diff). Does the TSX? The salesman didn't know, and I could not find any information.
Old 05-31-2005 | 08:09 PM
Cruisin'

Also, what's the deal with these two recalls?

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/01/04013446.html
Safety Recalls
TSB Number & Issue Date TSB Title
04-026 SEP 04 Recall - Rear Wire Harness Modification

General Recalls
TSB Number & Issue Date TSB Title
04-012 SEP 04 Campaign - A/T Inspection/Replacement
Old 05-31-2005 | 08:11 PM
Cruisin'

And another thing:
I'm dealing with Herb Connelly Acura in Framingham on Route 9, East Bound side.
Old 05-31-2005 | 11:57 PM
Drifting

You can probably get him closer to the private party pricing.
However, it probably wont get that low.
What i would also do, is have him replace the stuff that's broken in the car.
Although it's a certified Acura. 24000 and only the front tires worn down means that the tires were probably not properly rotated every 5000 miles. Not only that, but that probably meant he took the corners very hard too. Also, since the car is probably less than a year old and has only 24000 miles on it and it's got all of those pieces missing. I'm inclined to think that the car was not very well taken care of previously.
It's your call but i would stay away.
You can probably get an Acura dealership to pull up maintenance records with the VIN # is the guy did the service at the dealerships. However i doubt it since he doesn't seem to have taken care of the car really well.

But if you really want to get it, i would get the dealer to sell it to you for near the private party value. Then have them repair all of that stuff including 2 front tires as well for that price.
Old 06-01-2005 | 07:04 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Alin10123
You can probably get him closer to the private party pricing.
However, it probably wont get that low.
What i would also do, is have him replace the stuff that's broken in the car.
Although it's a certified Acura. 24000 and only the front tires worn down means that the tires were probably not properly rotated every 5000 miles. Not only that, but that probably meant he took the corners very hard too. Also, since the car is probably less than a year old and has only 24000 miles on it and it's got all of those pieces missing. I'm inclined to think that the car was not very well taken care of previously.
It's your call but i would stay away.
You can probably get an Acura dealership to pull up maintenance records with the VIN # is the guy did the service at the dealerships. However i doubt it since he doesn't seem to have taken care of the car really well.

But if you really want to get it, i would get the dealer to sell it to you for near the private party value. Then have them repair all of that stuff including 2 front tires as well for that price.
When you say private party value? Do you mean shoot for $22,4k?
Old 06-01-2005 | 12:23 PM
VSA Rocks

Considering that a good deal in Southern California for a brand new 2005 is around $25,600 combined with the better resale of a newer model year, I'd pass on that CPO.

I was in the same dillema last week. There was a CPO 6-spd and the dealer was asking $25k. I ended up getting my 2005 with 4 miles on the odometer for $26k with a front underbody spoiler through AAA special pricing.

If you're hell bent on getting a CPO, make sure the dealer fixes all those problems and they have a work order with your sale. You will most likely have to return to have them fix it since they want the car off their lot after you sign. I bought a CPO 2003 Honda Pilot and the dealer promised to fix a door ding and rear bumper scrape during negotiation. When I came back for them to fix it, they told me, "Do you have a work order? If you don't, we can't work on it."
Old 06-01-2005 | 12:32 PM
Cruisin'

It's almost impossible to get $25,6k on new one in the Boston area. Demand is high, and supply is low on the lots here.
Old 06-01-2005 | 04:09 PM
HOWARD911S

I bought used car before. and carfax didnt show anything . if insurance company was not gone through and no major things was RECORDED it doesnt show up. my last CL S tranny blown didnt show up either. so dont belieev carfax.

u said dealer offer 24K. i say just suck it up and find 2 K more for new car. peace of mind. and ull regret not paying that 2K for new car should this one have any trouble later. just suck it up and get new ones!
Old 06-01-2005 | 04:13 PM
HOWARD911S

also. fair price is not determined by bluebook in TSX case. TSX is popular car. fairness depend on popular/consumer demand. So you are at disadvantage at this point. SOMEONE will take the car off his hand.

I had the wiring harness recall. that is just the wire that is attached to ur hinge use for light and open trunk. things. nothing broken, they just beef it up acuse its design will make it rub against hinge and they are afraid its gonna burn out if too much friction and rubbing. no biggie

transmission things. i heard a few model have had minor MANUEL trouble. but its only within certain VIN number. so gotta check that. auto has no problem.

as i said in last post...only couple thousand differences. suck it up and get new car, you will thank me later if u take the 2K and get new ones..
Old 06-01-2005 | 11:45 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

our purchase was a cert. used TSX-04, ours had 6000mi on it, they asked $23,900 for it, they wouldn't budge one I-ota. We haggled on tax a bit that was it--I paid asking for it. You get a 7yr 100k mi warranty it's a nice feature if the miles are low.
Old 06-01-2005 | 11:50 PM
Arctic Blue Pearl

Originally Posted by edboc
And another thing:
I'm dealing with Herb Connelly Acura in Framingham on Route 9, East Bound side.
Go to Acura of Boston in Brighton. Please me better than any herb can do...
Old 06-02-2005 | 09:32 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JLavino
Please me better than any herb can do...
Old 06-02-2005 | 10:07 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by jlukja
Can you blow me where the pampers is?
Old 06-02-2005 | 10:13 AM
Team Owner

En ingles por favor?
Old 06-02-2005 | 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

Acura of Boston is obviously a lot bigger than Herb Connelly in Framingham. They have a lot more cars on their lot and generate a lot of customer traffice. Herb Connelly has offered a new '05 Artic Blue for $26k.

2005 Acura TSX
4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)
What Others
Are Paying

MSRP Invoice
National Base Price
A note about advertising fees $27,190 $24,784 $26,601
Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code Change - - -$182
Optional Equipment N/A N/A N/A
No optional equipment selected
Color Adjustment - - $0
Arctic Blue Pearl
Destination Charge $570 $570 $570
Total with Options $27,760 $25,354 $26,989

According to Edmunds: TMV is just under $27k.
What is a fair deal on a new one?
Invoice is $24,784, and then destination is $570.
Should I expect that they want at least $500 profit on top of that? They already make about $800 on holdback from Honda once it's off the lot.
Old 06-02-2005 | 10:28 AM
OCD in the OC

I don't know--that seems pretty high. If I recall, my 5AT w/Nav was 26,500. Not that much more that what you're paying for a CPO non-nav. I say shop around.
Old 06-02-2005 | 11:50 AM
Cruisin'

What should I be shooting for? Some where in the $25k range?
Old 06-02-2005 | 12:06 PM
04 remembrance

It doesn't make any sense if you purchase that car at that price. Offer to pay $22.5~23, and ask him to throw in some free oil changes and service maintenance, because a new car like everyone mentioned is only $2~3k above the dealer-offered price.
Old 06-02-2005 | 12:10 PM
Luke 1:37

What should I be shooting for? Some where in the $25k range?
Who are you dealing with at Herb Connolly? I know the Internet Sales Manager there, his name is Jimmy Goon. I purchased my TSX Auto w/ Navi for $27,525 with All Season Mats and Wheel Locks. I also helped out JPL530i with his deal at Herb Connolly on a TSX Auto w/ Navi and a bunch of options for $27,900.

I would speak with Jimmy and tell him that you are friends with Wilson Kwong and was referred to him directly to work with you. He'll know who I am and he should try to get you the best deal. Let me know if you have any questions.

WIL

btw. I was referred to Jimmy by a kid who knows him directly.
Old 06-02-2005 | 01:29 PM
Cruisin'

I'm dealing with Jimmy directly. This is the email he sent me this morning. I emailed him that I have the National Corporate Pricing Certificate:

Hi Edwin,

The NAtional Corporate Pricing is based on the best Internet Price we offer on the car. The best quote I give to people is $26,200 and thru them get an additional $50 or more off on the car. If you take the one we have in-stock you can have it for $26,000.

Best regards,
Jimmy Goon
Internet Manager
Herb Connolly Acura
(508) 820-9313 x 108
Old 06-02-2005 | 02:33 PM
Cruisin'

Acura of Boston said they can beat $26k.
Old 06-02-2005 | 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Howard911s
I bought used car before. and carfax didnt show anything . if insurance company was not gone through and no major things was RECORDED it doesnt show up. my last CL S tranny blown didnt show up either. so dont belieev carfax.

u said dealer offer 24K. i say just suck it up and find 2 K more for new car. peace of mind. and ull regret not paying that 2K for new car should this one have any trouble later. just suck it up and get new ones!
Peace of mind is worth more than 2K...get an '05. If you are hell bent on this CPO I would not pay much more than 21K for it considering all the unknown facts and the fact that I don't like CPO cars. You never know what the previous owner did to the car.
Old 06-02-2005 | 04:43 PM
Cruisin'

What's the best way of dealing with both dealerships to get the best deal? Eventually, one of them will just say bye and tell me to take the deal with the other place.
Old 06-02-2005 | 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

What's the best way of dealing with both dealerships to get the best deal? Eventually, one of them will just say bye and tell me to take the deal with the other place.
You gotta know when to hold 'em..know when to fold 'em...know when to walk away...

I'd say call their bluff. I am sure in Boston you have quite a few Acura dealerships in the area. They all get the cars for the same and compete for incentives. Selling a higher quantity for a dealer is in their best interest in the long run. I played dealers against each other in the Denver area and was very pleased with my deal.

In the end prices will be just a couple hundred apart before they tell you to go to the other guy. At that point see who gives you the most extras (free powertrain or accessories) and they should be the winner.
Old 06-02-2005 | 06:17 PM
Professional SLACKER

I got mine brand new for $24.5k... this guy is ripping you off. don't get it from him. Tries doesn't cover under warranty. The center tray.... it will be hell to get them covered under warranty. They will say its customer abuse. As far the missing part.. they're not going to cover that either. Used car warranty is usually 7 yrs/100k. ....... you better off getting a new TSX.. ... my
Old 06-02-2005 | 08:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by foolioness
I got mine brand new for $24.5k... this guy is ripping you off. don't get it from him. Tries doesn't cover under warranty. The center tray.... it will be hell to get them covered under warranty. They will say its customer abuse. As far the missing part.. they're not going to cover that either. Used car warranty is usually 7 yrs/100k. ....... you better off getting a new TSX.. ... my

How'd you get below invoice? Non-nav 6-speed? Where ar eyou located?
Old 06-03-2005 | 10:37 AM
Luke 1:37

So I'm assuming that you're going to go with a new TSX correct? I also assume that you've done your research on the average price that people are getting for a new non nav TSX correct? If so, just tell Jimmy and the guy from Acura of Boston that all you care about is getting the best deal. Forget their bull crap talk about service and what not, what matters is the number that is offered to you. What I did was ask Ed Lopes from First Acura for a quote (he gave me the best quote) and then use that against Herb Connolly and Acura of Boston. Remember also that Acura of Boston will beat any competitor price by 10% of the amount under MSRP.

I worked with Jimmy because my friend knew him and the guy at Acura of Boston (Sam Davis) was a fockin' dick to me when I was pretty much sold on the TSX.
Old 06-03-2005 | 11:10 AM
Cruisin'

Considering the visible damages to the car...you can't imaging what else is wrong with the powertrain that is not visible and will show up in the long run. Definately go with a new TSX for that peace of mind and extra money in your wallet in the long run.

You might want to email the dealers that you're interested in a new TSX and let them know to email you if a special comes along. Fourth of July might me a time they send special prices. I received an email from a southern cali dealer offering a new non-nav for 24,988 including destination and extras during the memorial holiday weekend.
Old 06-03-2005 | 11:10 AM
Cruisin'

Yes, I'm going with the new one, and not the used one. I've looked on the postings here and on edmunds for what others are getting, and saw TMV on Edmunds, which is almost $27k.
Old 06-03-2005 | 11:46 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by NightShredder
Peace of mind is worth more than 2K...get an '05. If you are hell bent on this CPO I would not pay much more than 21K for it considering all the unknown facts and the fact that I don't like CPO cars. You never know what the previous owner did to the car.
Well, if you purchase a used TSX and don't have any issues by 100k mi it's unlikely you will ever have an issue, the wonders of the CPO 7yr 100k mi. Do you have an issue, it gets fixed.

Ours was used, we've had it for 6mo. and it's been totally fine. My wife drives it to work and at the current milage rate the warranty will last the full 7yrs. I've purchased many used cars in the past, it's really hard to find a true Honda lemon under 20k mi. I mean use some common sense look the car over. Take it for a test drive, look at the fluids, etc. etc. I passed on a few cert. used models before taking this one, many were very rough IMO.
And we saved alot more then $2000 buying used, plus the warranty extesion, that's worth at least $500-1000 as well, now that's peace of mine IMO.

------

As for tranny failure not showing on carfax, only shows title issues; like flood damage, theft recovery, totaled, it doesn't and won't show minor fender benders and warranty-non warranty repair issues.
Old 06-03-2005 | 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrChad
Well, if you purchase a used TSX and don't have any issues by 100k mi it's unlikely you will ever have an issue, the wonders of the CPO 7yr 100k mi. Do you have an issue, it gets fixed.

Ours was used, we've had it for 6mo. and it's been totally fine. My wife drives it to work and at the current milage rate the warranty will last the full 7yrs. I've purchased many used cars in the past, it's really hard to find a true Honda lemon under 20k mi. I mean use some common sense look the car over. Take it for a test drive, look at the fluids, etc. etc. I passed on a few cert. used models before taking this one, many were very rough IMO.
And we saved alot more then $2000 buying used, plus the warranty extesion, that's worth at least $500-1000 as well, now that's peace of mine IMO.

------

As for tranny failure not showing on carfax, only shows title issues; like flood damage, theft recovery, totaled, it doesn't and won't show minor fender benders and warranty-non warranty repair issues.
There are good used cars that will give you reliability in the long run, but there is always the chance (even if a small one; Acura CPOs ARE good) that you purchased a car that was not cared for for the first X miles driven. That is just not a chance I was willing to take when spending 20+K for a vehicle even if I got a chance to save a few thousand. In the long run I might of spent more than that fixing the car. I just like knowing what happened from day one with my car so there is nobody to blame but myself when/if something goes wrong. Life is a gamble and there is no doubt in my mind about that.

As for the common sense, I could not tell a 1 yr old lemon so my ignorance cost me $ I guess. For me it was worth it in the end.
Old 06-03-2005 | 01:07 PM
HOWARD911S

good thinking ed. get new ones.
Old 06-05-2005 | 06:44 PM
Cruisin'

Acura of Boston said that invoice was $25.5k, and when I asked for $24.7k (Edmunds.com invoice), I walked out.