Navigation DVD Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 12:21 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation DVD Upgrade?

Has anyone purchased the latest DVD for the navigation system? Is it worth the $200? I live in the Washington DC area which had many new roads over the past year and I wonder if they are included in the latest DVD? My car is a 2004 TSX and I think the current DVD was made in 2003. I must say that the 2003 DVD doesn't work very well in the DC area - sometimes it shows that I am on a road that does not exist on the DVD; other times the system takes a huge detour when there are much shorter routes available.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Quattro in.....

Here is a thread talking about updates and different versions. You could ask a member who has recently purchased a 2005 TSX with Navi to look up an address for you.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=Navi+version

And welcome to the forum!
Old 08-26-2005, 01:13 PM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm still working on making a copy or 2 for members of the 3.4 dvd i got with y 05

i will report back my findings!
Old 08-26-2005, 01:18 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by sew1734
Has anyone purchased the latest DVD for the navigation system? Is it worth the $200? I live in the Washington DC area which had many new roads over the past year and I wonder if they are included in the latest DVD? My car is a 2004 TSX and I think the current DVD was made in 2003. I must say that the 2003 DVD doesn't work very well in the DC area - sometimes it shows that I am on a road that does not exist on the DVD; other times the system takes a huge detour when there are much shorter routes available.

yeah with all the work around here its getting to be a pain. I'm gonna wait to see if they include the zagat stuff from the 06 in the next disc release and then I'm gonna buy it.

Welcome to AZ btw

*Shameless plug * Check out the NoVA meet thread!!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:24 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I just receive the DVD last week. Mine is free since the dealer reimburse me for the purchase my Pre-owned 04 TSX. There are some restruants and streets not included in the map. The map date is 2004 Nov. So I guess that anything after 11/04 will not be in the DVD.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:35 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by swong
I just receive the DVD last week. Mine is free since the dealer reimburse me for the purchase my Pre-owned 04 TSX. There are some restruants and streets not included in the map. The map date is 2004 Nov. So I guess that anything after 11/04 will not be in the DVD.
I called Acura and was told that the latest DVD is February 2005. The weird thing is, I was also told that the previous version was in 2003, which contradicts the quote above. Anyway, I find it somewhat frustrating there is no information on what roads are updated and what's not. Personally, I don't care all that much about POI (except for gas stations, perhaps) - I just want to get from point A to point B while I am driving. I can find the POIs on my own, when I am not in my car.

My personal experience, and I think most readers of this forum would agree, that the system is far from perfect and can be quite misleading at times when you are not careful. I also had experience where the system was off by an entire block when I was driving in DC (i.e. the system shows I am on F Street when I was actually on E, something like that). Perhaps it was because I was near the White House / Congress and the GPS signals were purposely scrambled by the government? I suppose that's a legitimate reason, but I dunno if it is true or not?

My weirdest experence with the GPS system was when I was driving on a highway (somewhere in Maine), missed an exit, and the system tells me that I should make a U-turn ("make a U-turn, if possible") - in the middle of the highway! Anyway, in the end, I did make a U-turn... but in front of a toll booth when all cars were going at 5 MPH.

Anyway, I digress - let's hear more from those who paid $200 for a new DVD.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:55 AM

I called Acura and was told that the latest DVD is February 2005. The weird thing is, I was also told that the previous version was in 2003, which contradicts the quote above. Anyway, I find it somewhat frustrating there is no information on what roads are updated and what's not. Personally, I don't care all that much about POI (except for gas stations, perhaps) - I just want to get from point A to point B while I am driving. I can find the POIs on my own, when I am not in my car.

My personal experience, and I think most readers of this forum would agree, that the system is far from perfect and can be quite misleading at times when you are not careful. I also had experience where the system was off by an entire block when I was driving in DC (i.e. the system shows I am on F Street when I was actually on E, something like that). Perhaps it was because I was near the White House / Congress and the GPS signals were purposely scrambled by the government? I suppose that's a legitimate reason, but I dunno if it is true or not?

My weirdest experence with the GPS system was when I was driving on a highway (somewhere in Maine), missed an exit, and the system tells me that I should make a U-turn ("make a U-turn, if possible") - in the middle of the highway! Anyway, in the end, I did make a U-turn... but in front of a toll booth when all cars were going at 5 MPH.

Anyway, I digress - let's hear more from those who paid $200 for a new DVD.
The new version is May 2005 Version number 3.4C. You can check out the latest version number on www.acuranavi.com
Old 08-28-2005, 06:51 PM
TSX4EVR

Sorry for the newbie question and an almost TSX navi owner.

They give you a DVD with your system but any new upgraded data you have to purchase and they are in the neighbourhood of $200 USD each?

(I was silly enough to think that any upgrades would be like a free download)

Excited
Old 08-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Potentially a silly question...is there an update DVD for the US and a separate one for Canada? I just moved to Canada from the US and was wondering if the NAVI DVD was different in Canada?

Also, any chance of converting from imperial to metric units?? Cheerz.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by excited
Sorry for the newbie question and an almost TSX navi owner.

They give you a DVD with your system but any new upgraded data you have to purchase and they are in the neighbourhood of $200 USD each?

(I was silly enough to think that any upgrades would be like a free download)

Excited

Yes, you have to purchased the new update since the map data is in DVD form.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by kammerz
Potentially a silly question...is there an update DVD for the US and a separate one for Canada? I just moved to Canada from the US and was wondering if the NAVI DVD was different in Canada?

Also, any chance of converting from imperial to metric units?? Cheerz.
Yes, the Navi DVD do cover Canada. Go to www.acuranavi.com to see the DVD map coverage area.

On my Navi system, it does have the option to change the display from imperial to metric.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Instructor

swong, in case I don't find the instructions in the manual, how do you change the display from imperial to metric? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Instructor

This is from the acura.ca NAVI update page:

DVD Navigation System
We appreciate your interest in Acura and our products. To order a new navigation system DVD, please fill out the following information:

Year --Please Select Year First-- 2004 2005

Model --Then Select Model-- MDX RL TL TSX

The current version is 3.40, it does NOT contain Full Coverage Mapping of Canada. It may be purchased as a replacement for a Lost or Damaged DVD or as an update for 2004 MY vehicles.

Acura IPF DVD DISC VERSION 3.40 $280 Qty

(Shipping and handling Included) plus taxes.

Just FYI...cheerz.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by kammerz
swong, in case I don't find the instructions in the manual, how do you change the display from imperial to metric? Thanks!
In my car, it is on the 3rd setup screen. You can change the unit from miles to Kilometer.