Nav System Gripes (will an update fix them?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Life's a beach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav System Gripes (will an update fix them?)

I have a 2005 TSX and haven't updated the nav DVD since I bought the car.

Thinking of updating to the newest edition, but I wonder if doing so will fix my #1 gripe with it: their database consistency and integrity just plain sucks when it comes to place names.

For example: Go to Places and search for the nearest Lowe's. You get Lowe's, Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse, Lowe's Inc. Stores, Lowe's Home Improvement Wrhse, Lowe's Home Improevement [sic] Wrhse, and a bunch of individual Lowe's stores like Lowe's #2493 or "Lowe's of Anaheim" or whatever.

Same thing happens with a TON of other common business names and place names. Drives me nuts. I know there's a store around here, I've driven past it before, just can't remember exactly where it is. So I search for it, and my lovely nav system tells me the nearest one is 683 miles away in Texas or something. All because the database has tons of differently-spelled or abbreviated entries for the same business.

Then you get to the business categories after that, and you find a bunch of overlapping categories. Hmm, is it "general merchandise stores" or "home supplies stores" or just "shopping"?? A different list of stores will come up depending on what you choose.

Garbage in, garbage out. The database consistency sucks. Does anyone know if the newest nav DVD for the 2005 TSX improves this at all?

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For first gen TSX's (3rd? Gen navi) it won't fix it. I have an '04 and went through 2 upgrade cycles - one in '05 and one recently in '08 and there are still the exact problems you are describing.

Remember, kids, that Wal*Mart, Wal-Mart, and WalMart will return different results. Highly frustrating to say the least!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:30 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Yea I really hate it when that happens. I wonder if this problem is on other navi's too (ie infinity, lexus, bmw, mercedes)
Old 05-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the same problem with mine, it tries to send me like 400km away for a movie theatre or something. I was in an 09 with nav and it had the same issues..
Old 05-10-2009, 10:40 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
A new disk will NOT fix the inconsistencies. The problem is the database is inconsistent, often because the database is taken for multiple sources with different naming styles.

Most effective search, with a newish disk, is telephone number. I couldn't find a lawyer's office by searching his name...telephone number brought it right up.

Least effective is entering a name yourself because you don't know what style was used.

Handy trick...if you know about where a certain place is, you can slew to the rough location, select an address as destination, then search around destination for certain locations (limited list, but it works OK).

Or, for a Lowe's, and you dont know where one is. Search city vicinity for a small city/town nearby, it'll search in a circle around the point and list all those type stores from closest out.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Life's a beach

Bummer. I was really hoping that they had improved this. Probably not worth spending $180 on the "upgrade," then, just to get some newer place names that are also sloppily entered.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:34 AM
2nd Gear

I agree - I find the problem of subcategories appearing when I am searching for a specific business name to be tremendously frustrating. If I just wanna go to the nearest Home Depot, for example, I am presented with choices such as shopping, hardware, rental equipment, business, etc. How the heck am I to know under which subcategory lies the closest store? There has to be some way to defeat this and just get a list of all the stores called "Home Depot" without regards to their categorization! Hack anyone?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:59 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Er, search by Name..."Home Depot"...and distance to travel.