Nasty Accident Today in Newark, NJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Nasty Accident Today in Newark, NJ

There was a nasty accident early this morning in Newark, NJ involving a black TSX. Hopefully it was no one here. 3 people (females) died, but they were in another car (Chevy). It was on the news this morning and they showed a clip with the TSX....it was pretty smashed up, but not nearly as bad as the one car with the 3 females.

Three women killed in Newark accident
Posted by pcox July 10, 2008 13:16PM

Three women were killed early today in a three-car accident that closed Route 21 in Newark for several hours, police said.

The victims were in a 2001 Chevrolet Metro sedan that crashed at 2:30 a.m. with two other cars on the northbound overpass linking McCarter Highway to Routes 1&9 and Route 78, said Newark Police Detective Hubert Henderson.
John O'Boyle/The Star-LedgerThe scene of a triple fatal accident on Route 21 North in Newark.

Authorities towed the Chevrolet to the Essex County Medical Examiner's Office to remove the victims, whom authorities have been unable to identify, said Paul Loriquet, a spokesman for the Essex County Prosecutor's Office.
John O'Boyle/The Star-LedgerThe scene of a fatal accident on Route 21 in Newark.

An 18-year-old man driving a second vehicle, a four-door Acura, was treated for non-life-threatening injuries at University Hospital in Newark, Henderson said.

A woman driving the third vehicle, a four-door Toyota, was treated and released from University Hospital, Henderson said.
The scene of a triple fatal accident on Route 21 North in Newark.

Link: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200....html#comments
Old 07-10-2008, 06:18 PM
East Coast Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though it's ashamed that people have to die, I have to say PRAISE TO THE TSX!
Old 07-10-2008, 06:37 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah thats crazy. My dad told me about that when he was on his way to work and I just saw it on the news.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts

I find it kind of discriminating that the reporter decided to point out that the TSX driver was an 18year old, but not mention the ages of any of the other 4 victims.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 PM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is a terrible tragedy. I work in Newark, love the people I work with and the work I do, but, driving in Newark is no pleasure. My father was killed in a head-on on rt 202S, Somerville, back in 1978, 2 weeks before he was to retire. I can't begin to tell you my family's anguish for years to come.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Newark survivor recounts deadly head-on crash
Posted by packerma July 10, 2008 20:59PM

Steven Rivera was on his final stretch home into Newark early today when he reached the crest of the Route 21 viaduct, just before it descends into the city.

He never saw the car headed toward him, driving against traffic in the northbound lane.

But Rivera, 18, felt a violent crash. When he opened his eyes, his father's Acura TSX was wrecked, the airbags inflated and the driver's side door jammed shut.

"I had no idea what happened," he said.

A few feet away, the other car, a mangled 2001 Chevrolet Metro, was resting on a concrete divider. Inside, authorities said, were three women. All were killed.

The Metro was so bent out of shape by the 2:30 a.m. crash that it had to be towed to the Regional Medical Examiner's Office in Newark before the bodies could be removed, Essex County Prosecutor's Office spokesman Paul Loriquet said.

Authorities were still going through the process of identifying the bodies and notifying relatives tonight. They did not release the women's names.

Rivera, a recent graduate of Union Catholic High School, recounted the crash at his home in Newark's Ironbound section this afternoon.

After the collision, he said, he crawled through the Acura's passenger-side door and staggered away from the wreckage.

He called his mother, Maria Rivera.

"I've been in an accident," he told her.

She asked if he was okay and what happened. He said nothing, too stunned to talk about it.

"I was in shock," he recalled.

Another driver at the scene filled him in: the Metro had slammed into the Acura head-on, sending it airborne and crashing into her Toyota Camry.

Rivera's mother arrived. She and her son said they avoided looking at the Metro, frightened of what they'd see.

Rivera was taken to University Hospital, where doctors did a CT scan and told him he was lucky: no broken bones, no internal injuries, just scratches and bruises.

The driver of the Camry also was taken to the hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Doctors told Rivera that had he not been wearing his seat belt, his injuries would have been a lot worse.

"The fact that he's alive and I get to hug him, is all that matters to me right now," Maria Rivera said. "My heart goes out to the other parents. I thank my lucky stars I'm not in their shoes."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...nts_deadl.html
Old 07-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DiaBando
That is a terrible tragedy. I work in Newark, love the people I work with and the work I do, but, driving in Newark is no pleasure. My father was killed in a head-on on rt 202S, Somerville, back in 1978, 2 weeks before he was to retire. I can't begin to tell you my family's anguish for years to come.
That's terrible.

Be careful out there, everyone.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Instructor

I had heard the one car was going the wrong way. Glad to see it wasn't the TSX and that that guy was alright.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
East Coast Crew

Originally Posted by Fyre Man

I find it kind of discriminating that the reporter decided to point out that the TSX driver was an 18year old, but not mention the ages of any of the other 4 victims.
I agree. I bet you they're young too.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Damn. I feel a lot safer now, the TSX is a tank. Remember the other story where these kids flipped theirs over like 8 times and everyone who was strapped in survived unscathed.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fyre Man

they are still in the process of identifying the other victims, so the age probably isnt known at the time of publication

my prayers go out for the family of deceased
Old 07-10-2008, 10:28 PM
gistered User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DiaBando
The impact was so great, to the '71 Ford Maverick my father was driving, that, what was stowed in the trunk, was in his front seat. Maybe one inch between the drivers seat, and the steering column. I'll never forget seeing that car. So, yeah; drive carefully.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Yea i heard this morning on the news that they victims were not taking out of the car because of the intensity of the wreckage. They took the whole thing to the coroner's office while the bodies were still inside.

Stupid drivers, how do u know notice you are on the wrong side of the highway?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

@ 2:30am.... drinking
Old 07-11-2008, 01:21 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by zguy95135
Damn. I feel a lot safer now, the TSX is a tank. Remember the other story where these kids flipped theirs over like 8 times and everyone who was strapped in survived unscathed.
I remembered that the car was a compact car.
it was unbelievable that it flipped 8 times and the guys worse thing was a dislocated shoulder...
Old 07-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Still Lovin my 06

unreal. i've been working in newark for a few months now on a client. i didn't even hear about this. route 21 is brutal. i hate to assume it, but a 2:30am crash i can't imagine alcohol wasn't involved in that. terrible tragedy that people have to go through and I hope it wasn't the case. all these accidents are just a damn shame because they are so easily preventable and avoidable with just a little bit more patience and driving awareness on the road.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Drifting

Not to take away from the TSX's safety but keep in mind it was a Metro it collided with. A guy I worked with had one several years back and I was always really nervous every time I rode in it. It's like riding in an empty beer can with 4 wheels and a 3 cylinder engine. Honestly I feel safer on my bike.

Too bad for the passengers getting stuck in that death trap with a stupid (and I suspect not sober) driver.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

I was wondering why they had a sheet draped over the car door. I thought that was odd.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Not to take away from the TSX's safety but keep in mind it was a Metro it collided with. A guy I worked with had one several years back and I was always really nervous every time I rode in it. It's like riding in an empty beer can with 4 wheels and a 3 cylinder engine. Honestly I feel safer on my bike.

Too bad for the passengers getting stuck in that death trap with a stupid (and I suspect not sober) driver.
Keep in mind that the TSX has a crumple zone, and the Metro went airborne. I don't know if american cars now have crumple zones (back when they started getting popular, americans laughed at that and preferred american "tanks"), but even that wouldn't help them land safely. The TSX that was hit protected its driver, and the Toyota that was hit by the airborne metro protected its driver.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Drifting

If you've ever been in a Metro, the whole damn thing is a crumple zone. There is no room for any part of the body to deform without intruding into the passenger compartment. When I was in high school there was a kid I knew that had one (back when it was the Geo Metro) and one day 4 of us decided to screw with him by picking the car up and turning it sideways in the parking space. It wasn't very hard, even for four not particularly large high school kids. They weigh nothing.