n00b needs help deciding on TSX....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005 | 10:47 PM
Advanced

n00b needs help deciding on TSX....

Howdy all...first post. Be gentle. It's a bit long too...

I think I got the TSX bug. Here's how.

The lease on my 2003 Accord V6 is almost up...it was a nice ride, but time for something less family-sedan-like. I kinda like the idea of a 4WD, which is useful in MI winters, so I started looking at the Audi A4 Quattro. A used one that is....new too pricy. The 1.8T was too noisy. I like the V6 3.0L..but the A4's interior styling is soooo BORING! They must have had that same console for what...6 years now?

Anyway, like the A4 okay...but wanted some alternatives, even if it is not 4WD. So I headed over to the Mazda/Acura dealer. First drove a V6 Mazda 6. Ruled that out quickly, hated the plastic look&feel of that car. Then drove a TL...nice..very luxurious...but I found the ride disappointing. Expected it to be a sportier ride.

I was about to head back to Audi to give that A4 another spin, but the sales rep suggested I drive the TSX. I hesitated...really? Why would I go back to a 4-cylinder? He insisted, so I gave in.

WOW! What a FUN car to drive!!

I was very impressed with the precise handling of the TSX, and for a 4-cylinder, the engine was remarkably smooth and quiet! Even though it would make me give up on both 4WD and V6...I really think I might go for the TSX

Can anyone with both A4 and TSX experience advise?

Also....at first I figured no Navi...but I'm starting to warm to that idea as well. Besides mapping...does it add significant value over the standard display? E.g. with XM radio, do I see more info on the song or songlist?

THX...starting to get anxious!!
Old 07-19-2005 | 11:19 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

welcome, read through some posts you should have lots of info on the A4 and TSX (just do a quick search for A4). I would suggest anyone who is looking at the TSX to get Navi, i found out the hard way (by not getting it).
Old 07-19-2005 | 11:28 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

1.8T ain't worth it.

2.0T is going to be $30k+ with options.

dunno how much you're willing to spend, but TSX w/navi is the best choice under $30k, imo. do a search, the navi has been established by our readers as THE best oem mapping unit of all automakers; and have many features integrated into the display besides the map and voice.
Old 07-19-2005 | 11:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mobidutch
Why would I go back to a 4-cylinder? He insisted, so I gave in.

WOW! What a FUN car to drive!!

I was very impressed with the precise handling of the TSX, and for a 4-cylinder, the engine was remarkably smooth and quiet! Even though it would make me give up on both 4WD and V6...I really think I might go for the TSX
Yeah, Honda can be that way. They can make a 4 cyl perform like you'd think it was more cyl, and still get good gas milage. You just have to get used to revving the engine a bit more.

Also....at first I figured no Navi...but I'm starting to warm to that idea as well. Besides mapping...does it add significant value over the standard display? E.g. with XM radio, do I see more info on the song or songlist?

THX...starting to get anxious!!
The non-navi radio will show the name of the song. Dunno about the rest of your questions. It's been a while since I've been in an Audi, and it seemed nice enough, but do you really need 4WD?
Old 07-20-2005 | 08:11 AM
Advanced

Thx for your replies. I will do a more searching on the A4...was a bit overwhelmed by the content of this forum!

I can't say that I NEED the 4WD...but in MI winters it would be nice. Not hung up on it though.

As for the Navi...I'm going back and forth. The one thing that has me wondering is if it will require me to DO anything to take a quick glance at my console for status of radio and temperature. Does the "normal" screen show all the info in one single overview? If I push e.g. a temp UP button, will it go back to an overview screen after a few seconds? The dealer did not have a navi so I could not try... Thx!
Old 07-20-2005 | 08:22 AM
5th Gear

I moved from a 2002 audi A4 1.8T Quattro to a 2005 Acura TSX w/ navi...

I love both of the cars... very different feel but both are very nice... The turbo and quattro are great on the audi, the sound of the engine is great... but since you are looking at the 6-cyl turbo wouldn't be a concern, since in hot and humid weather, the turbo lag sucks... but the 6-cyl one will put you in a mid-high 30K range... In short, I love my a4 subtract off all the problems I had with it...

The TSX is great for the bucks... compare to the a4, it's a lot smoother with the engine... the quality is great... at first, i wasn't considering a navi, but i ended up getting it... didn't regret at all... it's a great system...
Old 07-20-2005 | 08:28 AM
My Garage

I had the same feelings, going from a twin-turbo V6 to a 4 cylinder and I have not regretted the TSX one day. You will love it, we all do. I've never seen so few compaints/problems reported on a car website. All you hear about are rattles and minor problems. Its a great car and great value.

Also, search the forum for thread regarding getting the navi, if you can afford the extra cash...GET THE NAVI!!!! it changes the car, you will be happy, trust me
Old 07-20-2005 | 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

maybe the 06 lexus IS250 or 350?
Old 07-20-2005 | 08:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Also, search the forum for thread regarding getting the navi, if you can afford the extra cash...GET THE NAVI!!!! it changes the car, you will be happy, trust me
Ah.... therein lies my personal challenge... I can afford it, but still want to make sure I spend sensibly. But given all the comments here and in other threads...it seems I would not regret going with the navi. I'll find a dealer that has one and check it out. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2005 | 08:54 AM
Guinea Pig

I thought about the A4 and the IS300etc.... I am so happy i got the TSX. And if I can stress anything it is......get Navi!!! It is soooooooo worth it! Once you learn everything it can do you will be so spoiled you won't want to drive anything else!
Old 07-20-2005 | 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

The most important feature to get on the TSX is .... 6 speed manual! for no money charge, you get the best manual tranny available from the market!
Old 07-20-2005 | 10:43 AM
Instructor

Didn't like the nav. I don't drive in unfamilar places very much and I never could, on my three day test drive, easily control the AC and XM with it. I thought, why should I pay an extra two grand for aggravation? The stereo and heating/ac controls on the non-nav are great! Very easy and intuitive.

If the price difference was a couple hundred, I might have paid for the aggravation just to have a new toy!
Old 07-20-2005 | 10:55 AM
CG is the place to be...

As for the Navi...I'm going back and forth. The one thing that has me wondering is if it will require me to DO anything to take a quick glance at my console for status of radio and temperature. Does the "normal" screen show all the info in one single overview? If I push e.g. a temp UP button, will it go back to an overview screen after a few seconds? The dealer did not have a navi so I could not try... Thx!

The navi screen stays on the screen you put it on. when you adjust the temp or volume a black bar will pop up on about the top 1/8 of the screen displaying the relevant information (i.e. the temp you adjusted to or the volume you just changed to). after a few seconds that bar goes away and you can see th whole screen again. On top of that, the "upper"display will show you volume level when you change it and always displays the temp set for both passanger and driver.

I have not had much experience with navi other than the acura's navi, but I do spend a lot of time reading on this forum and general consensus is that the Acrua Navigation is one of the best out there.

So if you do get the TSX, definitely go with the navigation. not only is it useful, it looks awesome.

One final note, you will probalby never see a thread on this forum saying "I got the navi, what a mistake." What you will find is many threads saying "I didn't get the navi and I am regretting it now"

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-20-2005 | 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ianS
The most important feature to get on the TSX is .... 6 speed manual! for no money charge, you get the best manual tranny available from the market!
Actually, I wish they would give you a discount on choosing the stick over auto like most car manufacturers (usually $1k less).
Old 07-20-2005 | 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

The lightweight material they use for the gear box is more expensive causing the price for MT to equal that of the AT.

I don't have much experience with the A4 but I must say if you are worried about the winters in MI you shouldn't be. The TSX is a pretty good snow car with the right tires on it. It has gotten me out of some pretty hairy situations here in the mountains.
Old 07-20-2005 | 02:57 PM
04 remembrance

Never knew they used "light weight materials" to negate the price.
Old 07-20-2005 | 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah. Acura uses a magnesium transmission case which is lighter and more expensive than aluminum.
Old 07-20-2005 | 08:42 PM
Advanced

Really appreciate all the feedback! I plan on driving the TSX again tomorrow, hopefully one with nav. I'm sure that I'll be posting here once I buy it. Now I better take some time to read that enormous thread about modding the nav...
Old 07-20-2005 | 09:31 PM
Got Ramen?

subaru legacy gt?
Old 07-20-2005 | 10:02 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Really appreciate all the feedback! I plan on driving the TSX again tomorrow, hopefully one with nav. I'm sure that I'll be posting here once I buy it. Now I better take some time to read that enormous thread about modding the nav...
Others have said it, but I seriously suggest getting the navi. You won't regret it, and its extremely functional. It is a lot more than "just maps". Well worth it. My $0.02.

RP
Old 07-20-2005 | 10:05 PM
A Commuter

Originally Posted by TypeRS
subaru legacy gt?
good choice if you get lots of snow~
Old 07-21-2005 | 01:20 PM
Advanced

Drove the TSX again today...this time one with navigation system. BIG mistake. Now this car is going to cost me an extra 2k. Very nice!

Still loved the way it drives...but I WILL miss the smooth power of the V6 in my Accord. At lower rpms the V6 just kicks it a little faster, at higher rpms it does so with a little less noise. I think I'll get used to it quickly though.

Now I have to decide if I want to wait for the '06 model...might be better for resale value. When does Acura typically release its new model years?

BTW thx for the Subaru suggestion...but I just don't like the looks of them. Same for the Lexus IS300 and Inifiti G35.
Old 07-21-2005 | 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Drove the TSX again today...this time one with navigation system. BIG mistake. Now this car is going to cost me an extra 2k. Very nice!
$2k better? I dunno, I just couldn't think of any way to justify it. For me, anyway. Although, I'm sure it's neat, I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist, since I now have my non-navi.

Still loved the way it drives...but I WILL miss the smooth power of the V6 in my Accord. At lower rpms the V6 just kicks it a little faster, at higher rpms it does so with a little less noise. I think I'll get used to it quickly though.
I'm used to 4cyl Hondas, and this one seems to have a tad more torque than I expect. Let it rev when you really need the power.

Now I have to decide if I want to wait for the '06 model...might be better for resale value. When does Acura typically release its new model years?
On another thread, it was mentioned that the TSX typically is released later in the year than most cars.

BTW thx for the Subaru suggestion...but I just don't like the looks of them. Same for the Lexus IS300 and Inifiti G35.
The newer ('05?) G35 sedans look slightly better, with some sort of aero kit. Even a used one is going to cost more than the TSX, so factor that in. For raw power, it is tempting, but I question where you'd use all of that power... Then when I think about the gas milage.... I know, getting a sporty car, you're not supposed to worry about gas milage, but Honda/Acura makes cars for the real world with real world compromises.

I also looked briefly at the Soobs, particularly since our other car is one. They are nice enough, but I agree, their exterior styling leaves a lot to be desired. Again, if you want raw power and poor gas milage, check out these.
Old 07-21-2005 | 03:45 PM
Advanced

Thx vidgamer. True, if I look at the cost of the navigation all by itself, I think it is very pricy. I am guessing both Honda and the dealer make a comfortable margin on it. But the reasons for me to get the navi would be...first of all because I am a bit of techno-gadget-freak, and this will give me something to tinker with . Second, I would always wonder if I "should have" if I don't. Third, I like the looks of it, and the audio and temp stuff is nicely integrated. Fourth, with the TSX at 28k, relatively speaking another 2k is not going to kill me. And lastly...I usually know where I am going, but once in a blue moon the navi will probably come in handy :-)

On the power...

Accelleration from stand-still is okay. Not exactly pulling G-Forces, but good enough. I took it onto a quiet highway today to simulate passing a few cars, and as you said, if I kick it and let it rev, passing another vehicle is fine as well. Overall, speed and getting up to speed is really adequate. But it doesn't "feel" like I have power at my disposal, no doubt only because I have been spoiled with a 245hp V6. I think I'll get used to it. With the way it handles it is a fun car to drive.