my wrecked 2006 tsx compared to 2008 CLK 350 replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my wrecked 2006 tsx compared to 2008 CLK 350 replacement

Hello, I am by for a quick visit.
My 2006 TSX was destroyed by a semi outside of Flagstaff Arizona Feb 18th…(see old thread) I am still recovering, and due to the LOUSY police report, the trucker is not being pursued for legal consequences. I am thankful I survived relatively intact.

Before I go further, INSURANCE Companies pay NOTHING for ANY mods. I had recently Hondated, Enkei Wheels,
upgraded sound system, sport bra, CAI, & Medallion Touring exhaust.

My tsx had 35,000 one owner well cared for miles, and I settled for 16,636.00
I was able to convince the insurance company, the exhaust system was safety related. That netted me an extra $400.00.

Early March I saw and fell in love with a 2008 Mercedes Benz CLK 350…black, white leather interior, 26,000 miles.
I am 61 and have had 20+ cars in my life, never a black one, or a German product, figured what the heck, I am due.

I absolutely loved my 2006 TSX, and even though I am not comparing apples to apples, I am doing a short comparison.
The reason for the comparison is simply to emphasize what a great deal the 2006 TSX was.

The Mercedes has NO standard heated seats, NO Satellite radio. The gas pedal is stiff, I was spoiled by drive by wire.

Now the good stuff…260 CI 255 HP Seven Speed tranny, rear wheel drive.

Hit the gas hard and "Whoa" 80 MPH before you can say "Yeehaw"
Sweet whisper quiet get up and go.
The rear wheel drive takes curves like it is on rails…the very same curves I had to hang on for life with the TSX, are
non-events.

The leather is sumptuous, it was thin in the TSX.

The sound system is a tad better than TSX, Harmon Kardon.

The air conditioning- heating system has too many settings, probably a German thing… the high automatic setting will
freeze your face and make you think you are in a hurricane…a bit of overkill.

The folding rear seats are ingenious, totally flat through the trunk and I can nap in it.

Gas Mileage, city 19-20 highway 26-27 TSX city 23.5 highway 30 (CLK weighs only about 200lbs more than TSX)

MSRP TSX new 2006 $28880 Mercedes 2008 clk 350 new $43,559 (used paid $27950)

FOR THE MONEY, the 2006 TSX was a screaming great value.

I still look at First gen TSX when I see them on the road and admire them for what they represent.
The beaked 2nd Gen I still get nauseous….

Enjoy your great TSX's…I am dreaming of an AMG 63 Mercedes Coupe
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I remember your story from the old thread. Can't believe the truck driver will not be pursued for that. (You are lucky to be alive.) But, glad you're okay.

Congrats on the new purchase -- sounds terrific.

I've had rear wheel drive cars before, and the handling is indeed a completely different experience. (But with the reduced traction in snow, and my living in Colorado, they are not an option in the winter -- even with VSA. Sounds like it should work well for where you live.) My TSX was my first black car, and I had never considered one before. Suffice it to say, I love black cars now.

Good luck with the new ride!
Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
You're right.... apples and oranges, but thank you for sharing. I owned a number of German cars before we moved down to Acura. That said, I'm confident that we wouldn't have enjoyed the relatively trouble free 143K and 120K miles (so far) with any of the higher end German rides that are 05 and 07 TSX's have provided. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just that it would probably be the exception and not the rule. I'll probably go back to a German car when I drive less miles, but for a DD with a long commute, I'm sold on the Acura.

Oh, and I think you made out like a bandit on your insurance settlement for the car (the mileage, and the care, and the mods may mean something to you, but zero to an insurance company). Just my opinion....
Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
You're right.... apples and oranges, but thank you for sharing. I owned a number of German cars before we moved down to Acura. That said, I'm confident that we wouldn't have enjoyed the relatively trouble free 143K and 120K miles (so far) with any of the higher end German rides that are 05 and 07 TSX's have provided. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just that it would probably be the exception and not the rule. I'll probably go back to a German car when I drive less miles, but for a DD with a long commute, I'm sold on the Acura.

Oh, and I think you made out like a bandit on your insurance settlement for the car (the mileage, and the care, and the mods may mean something to you, but zero to an insurance company). Just my opinion....
Simba 91102:

Since you own both a 2005 and a 2007 Tsx, which do you prefer based only on the instrument panel? The 2006+ TSXs have that MID information display on the instrument panel plus the blue rings around the instrument pods are a little different right? It is just not the addition of the MID display right?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
Simba 91102:

Since you own both a 2005 and a 2007 Tsx, which do you prefer based only on the instrument panel? The 2006+ TSXs have that MID information display on the instrument panel plus the blue rings around the instrument pods are a little different right? It is just not the addition of the MID display right?
Yes the lighting is a little different, but not so that you'd really notice since the layout is still the same. I guess I can't really say that I prefer one or the other. I don't drive the 07 that often (it's my wife's ride) and we both leave the screen in the position that shows trip miles and outside temperature so there's not much difference from what my 05 shows me. I've commented many times that I'm much less impressed with the changes made to the 06-08 model year first gen TSX's than many others here. Just my opinion of course, but having a representative of each does allow side by side comparisons.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:00 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I recently received the annual vehicle tax notice from NC-the value my 06 tsx according to the bill is $15,480 so I have to pay $120.75 for this year.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Sorry to hear about the TSX...i remember commenting to you that I admire you keeping up your car. Yours is not the typical demographic for exhaust and rims.... I hope to still be just as into my car by then, like you.

Thanks for the review of the benz. Benzes are great cars. Having owned both german cars and Honda/Acuras I can say they are different flavors, both which I like. Today, I still love my TSX. But I'll take a Benz if the right opportunity presents itself.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with the new to you car. I will say that the gas pedal on the Benz should not be stiff. My C has 140,000 trouble free miles and the gas pedal feels great. I actually prefer it to our TSX. Both great cars for different reasons.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Infinity g37xs..

Surprise.... I am back...call me crazy, traded the clk 350 Mercedes...

Wife had knee surgery, needed 4 door vehicle.

The Mercedes was a nice cruiser, looked great, but was an impulse buy. I always wanted a black car, and never had a German car. ( Resist impulse buys )

It got old quick, decent performance (265 hp v-6), the seven speed tranny bugged me..when you hammered it, the tranny would by-pass second gear "as speed would be unsafe" according to manual That took serious sport shifting fun out of the equation.

The blind spots in the outside mirrors, due to outside sun reflection off the dash bothered me for safety.

What they say about black cars in direct sunlight; it is true..car took 20 minutes to cool after being in Oklahoma sun for an hour.

The cruise control stalk is next to the signal indicator..an easy mix-up if you are not paying serious attention, move it and it activates.

The air conditioning fan on high sounded like a 747 taking off, overwhelming the radio.

I can go on and on about maintenance costs,potential balance shaft issues, potential future tranny issues all documented in the Mercedes forums....I decided since the trade value was fairly close to what I paid for it, and the need for a 4 door, time to move on.

It appears the much vaunted German engineering and car building took a step backwards in the mid 2000's..

Anyhow, after careful research, went for Moonlight White 328 HP Infinity g37-xs (all wheel drive, sports version)

All the bells and whistles, what sold it to my wife besides it was a four door?

She sat in it, and after a 20 mile VIGOROUS test drive, proclaimed
"this is as comfortable and supportive as your TSX..." she loved my 2006.

That is really high praise for Acura... car listed at 44,103 got it for 39,000, gave 30,000 for the 2006 tsx.
I still admire the 2004-08 models,appears they have strayed badly off course however. The ILX? Good God, why?

Wife's positive comments made my choice easy....

Trust me, 328 HP, AWD, Sports Package
creates a warm fuzzy feeling when zipping around.

Will post impressions occasionally; car had 25 miles on it upon pick-up..plan a conservative 500 mile break in..gosh is this tranny a crisp shifter....my Mercedes seemed to hesitate and ponder before a good shift between 2-3-4th
Old 08-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Alien from Mars

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
congrats

I am in market for a good Acura.. was debating whether I should downgrade to i4 but TSX looks like a great value for the money.

The day i said no to MB is when I saw that you had to take MB to the dealer to ACTIVATE BLUETOOTH BETWEEN CELLPHONE. are you kidding me? maybe that has changed (this was 2006 C-series)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:53 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes has never been known for reliability or value. Really, it's more of a status symbol than anything practical.

After 2 years of ownership, I finally took my 6mt for a spirited ride through the twisties and it performed above my expectations. Frequent forays deep to the red zone flexed the v-tec muscle, and I still got 30mpg on that tank of gas. Not too shabby for a 200hp car. Insurance is cheap too.

2 years later, and my only real complaint is that the cabin is a little noisy for a luxury car. It's also got the worst leather I have ever seen, but it works.

Congrats on the G37. Looks like a heck of a ride.