moving & insurance rate changess..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004 | 08:58 PM
Instructor

moving & insurance rate changess..

i'm probably going to be moving in the next month or two so i called up progressive today to see what my rate would be after i move. the results were a bit shocking.

i used to live in ohio, my rates were decent but then i graduated from college and the place where i work is right outside of cincinnati in northern kentucky. so i ended up moving to ky to save a commute, etc. well, after buying my tsx my insurance shot up a ton. i figured it was just b/c of the tsx...

so i'm moving back to ohio and getting a nice loft in downtown. i figured insurance would be insane for downtown cincinnati, well guess what? its not. in fact is almost 90$ a month CHEAPER than living in the suburbs of northern kentucky.

the only thing i can figure is KY is a no-fault state... but 90$ a month difference??
Old 03-08-2004 | 09:40 PM
Instructor

Man, I feel your pain. I graduated from college in December and moved here to Dallas for a job in January. Back in NC, my insurance was running about 650 for 6 months. But now, when I called Geico to change addresses I had to get a new policy. So keeping the exact same options, they wanted to quadrouple my rate to like 2748 for 6 months!! Fuck you Geico It gets even better that the woman tried to tell me that I was lucky to pay that and I should be happy. Morale of the story, I manged to call Progressive and got an awesome 1400 premium Guess its better than 500+ a month. Gotta love the insurance companies... bunch of damn snakes..
Old 03-09-2004 | 10:46 AM
Team Owner

Wolfpack, I sypathize but prolix was making a point of his insurance being $90/mo. LESS in downtown Cincy than in Kentucky. Have you guys seen the insurance rates in NJ? Read some of the posts (do a search). The folks that live there are absolutely getting raped.
Old 03-09-2004 | 10:52 AM
Instructor

yeah, even at the higher rate mine is still nowhere near what people in NJ pay. i couldn't imagine paying some of those rates
Old 03-09-2004 | 12:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Wolfpack_TSX_22
Man, I feel your pain. I graduated from college in December and moved here to Dallas for a job in January. Back in NC, my insurance was running about 650 for 6 months. But now, when I called Geico to change addresses I had to get a new policy. So keeping the exact same options, they wanted to quadrouple my rate to like 2748 for 6 months!! Fuck you Geico It gets even better that the woman tried to tell me that I was lucky to pay that and I should be happy. Morale of the story, I manged to call Progressive and got an awesome 1400 premium Guess its better than 500+ a month. Gotta love the insurance companies... bunch of damn snakes..
Dallas is the Hail Capitol of the US.
Old 03-09-2004 | 04:33 PM
ABP TSX

Originally posted by miner
Dallas is the Hail Capitol of the US.
True and I garage all the time with the exception of when it is on the road.

Insurance rates in Dallas vary widely on the county you live in. I live in Collin County but with a Dallas address. The rates are much less than actual Dallas County rates. I used to have a Dallas address in Denton County and the rates were even cheaper.

But in the end, all auto insurance is a SCAM IMO.
Old 03-09-2004 | 08:27 PM
Instructor

Anybody in the DC/ Baltimore area have rate info they'd like to share? I'm thinking of upgrading from a 96 Civic eventually and was just wondering what the hike would be. I'm just not in the mood right now to spend "15 minutes or less" (what an f-ing joke that is) with a Geico representative...Gracias.
Old 03-09-2004 | 08:45 PM
Lost In Transmission

prolix21 - i live in suburbs of cincy, and i work in NKY... i dont have my TSX yet though... mine insurance is going up $200 a year from my 97 civic... which i'm not pleased about... but it might have something to do with my tickets at the end of last year... yeah... maybe...
Old 03-14-2004 | 03:54 PM
BPP
2nd Gear

Unhappy

Originally posted by Wolfpack_TSX_22
Don't feel sad. I have to pay US$3950.- for my 6 months premium, and guess what it even from progressive. I cannot find anything cheaper, but what can I do. My father won't let me use his name. I hope it will get cheaper soon.:'(