More good things about TSX.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 01:44 AM
Houston we have a problem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More good things about TSX.

Forgot to mentioned quite a bit of improvements on my TSX.

I used to have a feeling about the engine not being as smooth. However, after today's hardwork, the engine seems to be revving smoother without the previous coarse sound, and more power everywhere. I ran probably 16-18 laps today, and under 100F weather. Yet, at the end of my last run, the engine actually felt more powerful. Most other Japanses car that I owned felt softer/rougher after a hard working day like this. Is it my illusions or there is a logical explaination to it?

Also, I want to praise the gearbox. Well chosen ratio and the gear shift is soooo smooth. I had never experience a car that I can easily heel toe downshift to FIRST. Normally, it will be harder to engage. It just popped right into place on my first attempt today. And the harder you rev, the less the notchiness. Seems like hard and quick shifting is what Honda's engineers want you to do. It is a really amazing gearbox...
Old 08-25-2003, 02:07 AM
Racer

I know that cars from mercedes benz adapts to your driving style. By this i mean (automatics) they learn when you like to accelerate (speeds, rpms, etc) and shifts then. At first people say the car is very awkward but later everything changes.

This probably doesn't have anything to do with the TSX but maybe it does? Or you're finally just breaking in every component? Then again i might be talking out of my ass.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles you got on yours? TSX's engine seems to get stronger as it gets broken in.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:59 AM
More On

Originally posted by finalheaven
I know that cars from mercedes benz adapts to your driving style. By this i mean (automatics) they learn when you like to accelerate (speeds, rpms, etc) and shifts then. At first people say the car is very awkward but later everything changes.....
Good Q. Is it true of TSX? (I didn't know there was any such thing.)
Old 08-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Audi Driving Snob

both comments are true. The TSXs do seem to get alot stronger with breakin...if you ant to test it out go test drive a brand new one(i did and was surprised at the power difference)

Secondly the ECUs do adapt and can change the air/fuel mixture to give more power. Alot of CL drivers get better quarter mile times and note the same thign after a few agressive runs. It's basically the computer telling the car to go into full power mode instead of economy!
Old 08-25-2003, 12:41 PM
Racer

RE: adaptive engine/components:

Either I've gotten more used to the DBW throttle or it's settling in nicely. Either way it does feel as if the TSX responds better following the breaking-in period.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Racer

whoa i was right.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:31 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Maybe one theory here. If the ECU adapts to the driving... What would happen if:

Once the car is broken in, disconnect the battery to reset the ECU and then reconnect it after 30 minutes. Once reconnected, kick the sh!t out of the car (be rev happy) so that the car adapts to hard driving.

Would this make the car faster???
Old 08-26-2003, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by Iceman
How many miles you got on yours? TSX's engine seems to get stronger as it gets broken in.
2850, and yes, quite a lot of difference.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by lgregoir
Maybe one theory here. If the ECU adapts to the driving... What would happen if:

Once the car is broken in, disconnect the battery to reset the ECU and then reconnect it after 30 minutes. Once reconnected, kick the sh!t out of the car (be rev happy) so that the car adapts to hard driving.

Would this make the car faster???
Good thought!

So if I start driving like crazy everyday, by the time I go to the next autocross event I would shave a second off my time. Not a bad idea, I'm more than happy to do so, but those damn cops are too sneaky...
Old 08-27-2003, 01:13 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

I guess you don't need to be speeding... Just shift always around 6.5K RPM and always nail the accelerator. Just don't speed over limit... You can still drive your car very aggressively without getting speeding tickets...

I drive my car hard but never got any speeding tickets in 5 years.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Über Geek

I think the shrink-to-fit theory about the ECU is wrong. I think it's the drivers' perception that change--they get used to the car.

Remember all those Audi "unintended acceleration" incidents in the mid-80s? People SWORE they were hitting the brake, not the gas. Then C&D discovered the Audi's brake and gas pedals were closer together than most cars.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:56 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by captainjack
I think the shrink-to-fit theory about the ECU is wrong. I think it's the drivers' perception that change--they get used to the car.

Remember all those Audi "unintended acceleration" incidents in the mid-80s? People SWORE they were hitting the brake, not the gas. Then C&D discovered the Audi's brake and gas pedals were closertogether than most cars.
You may be right... I guess to know for sure, someone would need to dyno the car before and after resetting the ECU...

I personally think it doesn't make a difference to drive the car aggressively. But it would be very interesting to test the theory...
Old 08-27-2003, 10:24 PM
Inspired

This has been brought up before about the CRV and the RSX as well, notice all 3 vehicles have K series motors. I'm guessing that it takes time for these motors to break in, but once they do its really sweet
Old 08-28-2003, 12:19 AM
Advanced

My former beamer adapted to the driver and I could always tell when my husband snuck it out for a drive (and he didn't believe I could tell the difference). I just turned 3000 and noticed my AT shifts much smoother now than before. Plus my MPG has improved.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:25 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by lgregoir
You may be right... I guess to know for sure, someone would need to dyno the car before and after resetting the ECU...

I personally think it doesn't make a difference to drive the car aggressively. But it would be very interesting to test the theory...
Some real numbers would certainly be interesting, but after driving more aggressively last night, the car was more responsive this morning.. (?? dumb luck maybe)

-r
Old 08-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

i keep thinking i wonder if the TBW system actually opend the throttle to WOT. sometimes it seems like the car is peppy and other times it's not. im sure some of that is due to the AC compressor comming on and off
Old 08-28-2003, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Re: More good things about TSX.

Originally posted by TSXautoXer
after today's hardwork, the engine seems to be revving smoother....
... Is it my illusions or there is a logical explaination to it?
Sounds like an Italian tune up to me!

Also a couple of other points. It is very unlikely that the drive by wire is adaptive - it almost certainly has only a single "throttle response mapping" and it is typically only automatics that "learn" when you're driving more sportily and adjust the shift pattern to suit.

The adaptation in the ECU people talk about is definitely there, and it's due to the closed loop, OBD2 emissions control. In effect it bases its assumptions on a rolling average of how you tend to drive and amongst certain cars, the idea of 'resetting' it and then driving like hell is popular. It doesn't exactly make night and day difference, but it's something.

Basically it's my opinion that performance oriented cars tend to perform better when you keep them working hard.

C.