Modify your navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007 | 01:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fender4645
Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will bring back the original splash (you will lose all your presets...and make sure you have your radio/Navi activation numbers handy).
Or just start the car, hold down the Map/Guide, Menu, and Cancel buttons for 5 seconds. then hit version in the bottom right corner, then push download software and it will restore everything back to normal no codes needed for anything.
Old 03-05-2007 | 04:10 AM
TSX Navi AT 2007

Did anyone try to remove the nag screen on a '07 TSX using either the white or gray DVD version 4.55A ? Comments ? Good / Bad experience ?
I don't really care much about switching to a new start up screen but I definitely wish to get rid of the nag screen.
Old 03-05-2007 | 05:40 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by michelc
Did anyone try to remove the nag screen on a '07 TSX using either the white or gray DVD version 4.55A ? Comments ? Good / Bad experience ?
I don't really care much about switching to a new start up screen but I definitely wish to get rid of the nag screen.

I'm looking for help here also. I've got an 07 TLS w/ v4.55a nav dvd. Anyhelp getting that stupid ok nag gone would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-05-2007 | 11:07 AM
10th Gear

Navigation Acceptance Screen

I've been fussing with this thing for about an hour.. I did figure out that the HMImanager.dll file contains the nag screen text.. I know in previous versions of the software, the navi.exe that contained this text was modified to remove the nag.. I just don't know how it was modified exactly. Also- the current version of the bysin.exe extractor isn't letting me put HMImanager back into the BIN file... I'm continuing to work on this- if other people join me, maybe we'll figure it out soon.. it shouldn't be that hard.
Old 03-05-2007 | 02:21 PM
Racer

Can you make the nav play movies?

Hi I'm new here and I'm wondering if you can mod the nav system to play movies?
Old 03-05-2007 | 06:27 PM
TSX Navi AT 2007

^^ Not with the TSX

Thanks Synstsia, unfortunately Acura have redesigned the file structures for the 2007 models (maybe 2006 too ?) Bysin's procedures no longer apply in post #1. :-(
Old 03-05-2007 | 06:44 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frenchv
Hi I'm new here and I'm wondering if you can mod the nav system to play movies?
Use Google and you'll find a number of options to let you play DVDs over the Navi screen, just like there are options for hooking up an iPod to the HU to let you use it rather than CDs.
Using the search function here will also bring up threads with information and answers to similarly asked questions.
Old 03-05-2007 | 08:47 PM
10th Gear

Nav

^^ Not with the TSX

Thanks Synstsia, unfortunately Acura have redesigned the file structures for the 2007 models (maybe 2006 too ?) Bysin's procedures no longer apply in post #1. :-(
Yes, the file structure has changed- however-

The bin for 2007 (in this case 07touch2.bin) can still be extracted with Bysin and CeBin, there is just trouble trying to re-compress it with those tools. (The splash screen BMP works fine, but the module we need to edit doesn't) I'm pretty sure the file that needs to be edited is 'HMIManager.dll'.. at this point, I don't think it would be difficult to hex edit the ok prompt out of that file since it's been done before. I know for a fact right now we could at the least remove the disclaimer language if we could get the hex edited file back into 07touch2.bin.
Old 03-05-2007 | 09:03 PM
10th Gear

Nav File

Here is a link to the nav file HMIManager.dll extracted from the 2007 TSX (v4.5)

http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=96596

If you hex edit it and look for "This system", it's obvious it contains the disclaimer.. At the least, this is a good step in the right direction.
Old 03-06-2007 | 09:23 AM
10th Gear

Cool

Originally Posted by synstsia
Here is a link to the nav file HMIManager.dll extracted from the 2007 TSX (v4.5)

http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=96596

If you hex edit it and look for "This system", it's obvious it contains the disclaimer.. At the least, this is a good step in the right direction.

Thanks for the info, there is no reason we cant figure this out between us all... I use IDA 5.0 for work (well olly mostly). So it looks like getting our dll re-inserted is the current stumbling block..

I'll be peeking at dll to see how that works.
Old 03-06-2007 | 01:11 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by acidflash
Thanks for the info, there is no reason we cant figure this out between us all... I use IDA 5.0 for work (well olly mostly). So it looks like getting our dll re-inserted is the current stumbling block..

I'll be peeking at dll to see how that works.
The dll shouldn't be to terribly different from the executables in past units.. I don't think Alpine totally re-engineered the software.. Hell, the guy that made the patch before (AngryDad) could probably hack it in a matter of minutes if he owned the more recent navi hardware. If you do dissasemble it with IDA, post the code if you can.. I don't know to much about machine code or ASM, but it would be interesting to see. Also, the same file structure is being used in the new Civics, Accords, Ridgelines, etc.. so if we get something working here, everyone should be able to use it.
Old 03-07-2007 | 02:24 AM
Instructor

If anyone of you has a mac computer, you can just put in the navi disk and view all it's contents and it will be listed the 6 files you need to copy and also the folder that needs to be hacked. just copy it and transfer it to a windows computer and then extract the opening picture and replace it.
Old 03-07-2007 | 03:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WICKEDFX
If anyone of you has a mac computer, you can just put in the navi disk and view all it's contents and it will be listed the 6 files you need to copy and also the folder that needs to be hacked. just copy it and transfer it to a windows computer and then extract the opening picture and replace it.
this is exactly what i did on my 04 tsx, worked like a charm
Old 03-07-2007 | 10:42 AM
Doesn't Rice His Car

06ers and 07ers search this thread for BananaFusions's post. It has a step by step to change splash screens for our cars.

As for the nag screen. The TL guys have found a way to bypass this. A guy by the name of AngryDad came up with it. I haven't read up much on it, but I wonder if it will work on our cars.
Old 03-07-2007 | 12:32 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by studville
06ers and 07ers search this thread for BananaFusions's post. It has a step by step to change splash screens for our cars.

As for the nag screen. The TL guys have found a way to bypass this. A guy by the name of AngryDad came up with it. I haven't read up much on it, but I wonder if it will work on our cars.
One of the reasons why this thread is 54 pages long is that there is a lot of misinformation/outdated information/ridiculous information (like copying files from a MAC over to PC- don't even know how some people came up with that idea)

To set the record straight for anyone reading this behemoth thread, yes, everyone knows you can change the splash screen of an '06 & '07 relatively easy.. it's pretty much the same as the Civic hack here:

http://guicide.com/cars/2006civic/nav/hacks/

However, there is currently NO disclaimer (nag) hack- The person you speak of (AngryDad) succesfully hacked a different version of the navigation software (see this link) http://www.vistabug.com/bb/viewtopic.php?id=22

So people- PLEASE- don't post anything else on here unless you want to actually make progress..
Old 03-07-2007 | 04:00 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

However, there is currently NO disclaimer (nag) hack- The person you speak of (AngryDad) succesfully hacked a different version of the navigation software (see this link) http://www.vistabug.com/bb/viewtopic.php?id=22
Hence, this is the reason I clearly stated the "TL guys" and I explicitly stated, "I wonder if it will work on our cars." If you check over in their forum, there is a gazillion page long thread about it.

Old 03-08-2007 | 07:05 PM
10th Gear

07 Update

For those of you with 2007 TSX Navi's that have unsucesfully tried to change your splash screen, please note the following:

For some of the newer DVD's, the splash screen is no longer Opening1.bmp. Instead, as in my car, the opening screen is comprised of 3 different BMP's- "OpeningBase.bmp", "Navi_title.bmp", and "Acura_emblem.bmp"

So if you've tried to update your splash screen and it didn't change the pic, this is most likely your solution. IE, Instead of replacing Opening1.bmp, replace OpeningBase.bmp.
Old 03-10-2007 | 06:47 PM
6th Gear

navi modify

will this work for acura tl type -s 2003 ?
Old 03-11-2007 | 11:11 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by taikoboi
will this work for acura tl type -s 2003 ?
There are so many different versions out there, so you need to check your navi disk to see which one you have. See this link for some older TL info:

http://www.vistabug.com/bb/viewforum.php?id=2
Old 03-12-2007 | 06:44 AM
10th Gear

Cool TL-S v4.55a (white DVD)

synstsia,

Made any progress with HMIManager.dll?

I've been able to change the background (Opening1.bmp) and dump my 07Touch2.bin. I also have HMIManager.dll open in IDA 5.0 Advanced if you have any interesting places to look?
Old 03-12-2007 | 05:34 PM
10th Gear

synstsia,

I've been able to change the background (Opening1.bmp) and dump my 07Touch2.bin. I also have HMIManager.dll open in IDA 5.0 Advanced if you have any interesting places to look?
I've been working on modifying bysin's program to re-insert HMIManager.. I think I'm getting close. The program was originally made to insert files, but for some reason, not modules (which HMIManager is) One of the biggest problems is that the Windows CE romimage format is not very documented.. I'm pretty determined to figure this out though, as its ticking me off.

On a side note, one thing I don't understand is if you try to hex edit 07touch2.bin directly, the car always rejects it. That doesn't make much sense to me since hex editing is very passive if you just change text- perhaps the BINS are very sensitive to any kind of change.. Anyway, like I said, I'm pretty determined to figure this out, so keep looking at the dissasembled bin if you can- if I succesfully modify Bysin's program, we'll still need to hack HMIManager..
Old 03-15-2007 | 11:21 PM
10th Gear

synstsia,

I've made some progress with the hack- I've found a way to manipulate the rom images using dumprom- which opens the doors way open, as we are not limited by Bysins program (which hasn't been updated for some time) To give you an example, I can now dump the contents of 07touch2.bin AND 07touch.bin... I don't know how many of you on this forum care about the technical aspects of hacking the navi system, so if you actually interested, then just reply.. it's a lot of information, so I don't want to waste time if no one cares. If there's interest, I'll post all the tools/information I have amassed..
Old 03-16-2007 | 09:37 PM
TSX Navi AT 2007

More people than you might think are hoping to get rid of this nag screen on '06 and '07 TSX

Keep it up !
Old 03-19-2007 | 02:35 PM
10th Gear

Thumbs up

I've made some progress with the hack- I've found a way to manipulate the rom images using dumprom- which opens the doors way open, as we are not limited by Bysins program (which hasn't been updated for some time) To give you an example, I can now dump the contents of 07touch2.bin AND 07touch.bin... I don't know how many of you on this forum care about the technical aspects of hacking the navi system, so if you actually interested, then just reply.. it's a lot of information, so I don't want to waste time if no one cares. If there's interest, I'll post all the tools/information I have amassed..
nice work

If you don't mind hooking a brother up, I can get to work on trying to mess w/ the nag)... I figure the more of us working on it the better!
Old 03-19-2007 | 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Agreed. If you come up with a new program, feel free to start your own thread with the description of it and as much information sharing as you feel like.

I always like reading technical information, post up as you feel like and keep the good work coming!
Old 03-21-2007 | 01:44 PM
10th Gear

looking forward to the new thread / information synstsia Lots of us hate that nag and it's rather difficult when Bysin wont let you update 07Touch2.bin w/ a new HMIManager.dll :P
Old 03-21-2007 | 02:24 PM
I Quit

the nagscreen is horrible I hate it!!!! and yeah bysin's program is great but can be difficult to understand and/or use
Old 03-21-2007 | 06:39 PM
-Mike

any updates to playing DVDs on 05s yet?
Old 03-22-2007 | 10:51 AM
Cruisin'

I've been working on modifying bysin's program to re-insert HMIManager.. I think I'm getting close. The program was originally made to insert files, but for some reason, not modules (which HMIManager is) One of the biggest problems is that the Windows CE romimage format is not very documented.. I'm pretty determined to figure this out though, as its ticking me off.

On a side note, one thing I don't understand is if you try to hex edit 07touch2.bin directly, the car always rejects it. That doesn't make much sense to me since hex editing is very passive if you just change text- perhaps the BINS are very sensitive to any kind of change.. Anyway, like I said, I'm pretty determined to figure this out, so keep looking at the dissasembled bin if you can- if I succesfully modify Bysin's program, we'll still need to hack HMIManager..
Hex editing can be caught if they do a checksum. I haven't looked at the files, but I should probably start.
Old 03-23-2007 | 01:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TheHardlyFast
Hex editing can be caught if they do a checksum. I haven't looked at the files, but I should probably start.
You are correct about the checksum! I just figured this out today- I knew the car was verifying information in the module, I just didn't know how it was doing so.. see pic:

Basically I've been spinning my wheels messing with extracting and re-inserting modules because the car would ultimately reject it. For those of you unfamiliar with checksum, its basically just an integrity check to make sure all the data is not corrupt- I'm pretty sure Alpine didn't put it there to prevent hacks- more than likely they incorporated it to prevent a corrupt HMIManager from being put on the car. The pic I've supplied proves two things: One that the checksum is only 8 or 16 bit, because it did not detect the rearranged bytes... and Two, now that we can get to the screen, the actual hack should come easily. I can't tell you how many hours I spent piling over the dissasembled code trying to find preventative hacking functions- all this time it was just a simple checksum. So now, I'm going to look for checksum function (possibly in UPDATE_API) When the hack is formulated, I will defintely start a new thread- (unless someone gets there before me)
Old 03-23-2007 | 01:54 PM
-Mike

You are correct about the checksum! I just figured this out today- I knew the car was verifying information in the module, I just didn't know how it was doing so.. see pic:

Basically I've been spinning my wheels messing with extracting and re-inserting modules because the car would ultimately reject it. For those of you unfamiliar with checksum, its basically just an integrity check to make sure all the data is not corrupt- I'm pretty sure Alpine didn't put it there to prevent hacks- more than likely they incorporated it to prevent a corrupt HMIManager from being put on the car. The pic I've supplied proves two things: One that the checksum is only 8 or 16 bit, because it did not detect the rearranged bytes... and Two, now that we can get to the screen, the actual hack should come easily. I can't tell you how many hours I spent piling over the dissasembled code trying to find preventative hacking functions- all this time it was just a simple checksum. So now, I'm going to look for checksum function (possibly in UPDATE_API) When the hack is formulated, I will defintely start a new thread- (unless someone gets there before me)
soo....what does this mean for us? lol, sorry i didnt reallyy understand it
Old 03-23-2007 | 02:18 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by yungwunn911
soo....what does this mean for us? lol, sorry i didnt reallyy understand it
Don't worry about the technical crap if you don't care to know- basically it means the door is wide open to remove the nag screen- when the hack is created, it should be simple to apply for everyone (and someone can possibly make a tutorial- like they did for the Civic splash screen hack)
Old 03-23-2007 | 02:18 PM
Advanced

i think it means that it's time to lock this thread up.. it's outta control...
Old 03-23-2007 | 02:38 PM
1st Gear

Awsome work synstsia!!!!

If this really happens (no-nag hack for '06 or '07 tsx's)....then you will have made many people very happy .....me especially.
Old 03-23-2007 | 03:20 PM
10th Gear

Thumbs up

Sweeeet Soon you'll have it nailed!
Old 03-24-2007 | 03:42 AM
10th Gear

hehe, hosed my 07 TL-S tweaking Bysin to do modules. It loaded ok, then reboots with stock nav Opening1.bmp -> black screen.

Even left the battery disconnected overnight to try to 'reboot' and get it to load off the original DVD :P No love so far....
Old 03-24-2007 | 09:31 AM
10th Gear

hehe, hosed my 07 TL-S tweaking Bysin to do modules. It loaded ok, then reboots with stock nav Opening1.bmp -> black screen.

Even left the battery disconnected overnight to try to 'reboot' and get it to load off the original DVD :P No love so far....
Reloading modules is a difficult if not impossible task- this is mainly due to the proprietary nature of the CE Rom's (they are constructed in platform builder with the proprietary Microsoft tool romimage.exe) and the fact that modules reside in multiple regions of memory. I've gotten the Acura BINS to work with dumpromx (which has the ability to insert certain modules) and even it could not do it. Nevertheless, we don't really need to- the only reason we'd even need to extract modules would be to dissasemble and study them- other than that, you can just hex edit the bin directly to get to the module (making sure your checksum stays the same) On a side note, you've got to be extremely careful when you change around HMIManager- it basically contains the core functions of the car- most importantly, the function to upload a new image. If it craps out, the software would probably just crash.

Let me know how it works out with your TL- maybe I'm wrong and the system has a backup it stores somewhere- or maybe there's a way to reflash it with a PCMCIA card or something.
Old 03-24-2007 | 01:14 PM
10th Gear

Thumbs up

Reloading modules is a difficult if not impossible task- this is mainly due to the proprietary nature of the CE Rom's (they are constructed in platform builder with the proprietary Microsoft tool romimage.exe) and the fact that modules reside in multiple regions of memory. I've gotten the Acura BINS to work with dumpromx (which has the ability to insert certain modules) and even it could not do it. Nevertheless, we don't really need to- the only reason we'd even need to extract modules would be to dissasemble and study them- other than that, you can just hex edit the bin directly to get to the module (making sure your checksum stays the same) On a side note, you've got to be extremely careful when you change around HMIManager- it basically contains the core functions of the car- most importantly, the function to upload a new image. If it craps out, the software would probably just crash.

Let me know how it works out with your TL- maybe I'm wrong and the system has a backup it stores somewhere- or maybe there's a way to reflash it with a PCMCIA card or something.
Dealership is picking it up in 3 days to fix it, I'll keep you posted

In the mean time, I'm leaving this to the expert. Changing the Opening1.bmp works nice, and I'll wait until you figure out how to de-nag / change text

I'm running v4.55a, v4.56 is newest available on Acura site... (In case you need something)
Old 03-26-2007 | 01:00 AM
3rd Gear

Hi, I need some help. My brother visited Japan and he bought a used honda navigation dvd system. How will I be able to use it here in US. Thanks
Old 03-27-2007 | 09:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jasperl
Hi, I need some help. My brother visited Japan and he bought a used honda navigation dvd system. How will I be able to use it here in US. Thanks
You posted this in the wrong thread. Start your own thread in the main forum and you may get a faster answer. But I don't think it will work because the maps of Japan are quite different than those of the US.

Quick Reply: Modify your navigation system