Modify your navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005 | 08:26 PM
A Commuter

Originally Posted by Tajam
hahaha here I go again, you need to be quick, Run and hit Disc Load button before it says that. sounds like you did everything right
-----------------------
wait, nm, sounds like you already pressed the disc load button, Bysins readme instructions are very easy to follow so I doubt you messed up

but i did hit the "disk load button..."

ahhhhh!...maybe i should try this over...
Old 04-11-2005 | 08:59 PM
.:KCCO:.

Originally Posted by nahooneyya
but i did hit the "disk load button..."

ahhhhh!...maybe i should try this over...
make sure that the bin file you modify is the original one from the dvd. dont re-modify the bin file. it wont work. use a new disc too. if you modify a bin file more then once, its messed up already.
Old 04-11-2005 | 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

nahoonya, i have done it ! w00t i can do it for you
Old 04-11-2005 | 09:35 PM
www.teamultraspeed.com

Originally Posted by tizo
...i have the exact same .BIN but it still says "Nag modification isn`t supported on your car"
Originally Posted by Tajam
Mine actually worked with the 1.5 update. Try again
...i did, over and over... even downloading the program multiple times... maybe it wasn`t meant to be...
Old 04-11-2005 | 11:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
Yeah, it can control those devices, but can the WinCE system actually access the stereo's 6-speakers? I'm skeptical about this.

And, so, if if the WinCE system cannot output audio through the Alpine head unit/amp setup, then any DVD/MP3 project will have mono output.

This is what I was saying before about thinking through the project priorities based on what's really doable with the hardware.

A lot of folks here are asking for things that simply can't be done because while WinCE is powerful enough, it's only as powerful as the inputs and output devices it has access to.

That does mean, however, we can have a lot of fun with the HVAC, Audio controls, etc., because they are all devices the WinCE system clearly has access to.

I want to re-up my vote for GRPS/EDGE bluetooth cell phone connectivity using IE for CE. That would just be awesome.

Jon
Everyone here does seem to have some vivid imaginations, but as an electrical engineer (hardware design) some things are just not possibile. All of the audio gets routed to the head unit in the dash. All of the video is generated by the NAV system. Everyone should use their imagination with the video screens and the content on the display. CD text would be difficult since the CD player would have to tell the NAV whats on the CD so the NAV could generate the text. I am not sure the CD player has that capability. I think it would have to get hacked as well. You could probably make the NAV an MP3 controller for an IPOD with a custom screen. However, you would have to create a custom interface to pipe in the audio stream. Well you could have a switch addressable by the NAV on the GA-NET II bus to switch audio feeds on command. I guess my point is to keep dreaming up ideas, but realize the NAV can do two things (when you really boil it down ...)--display images/text and control things through the build in data bus provided by Honda (GA-NET II).
Old 04-11-2005 | 11:24 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by spyfish007
Everyone here does seem to have some vivid imaginations, but as an electrical engineer (hardware design) some things are just not possibile. All of the audio gets routed to the head unit in the dash. All of the video is generated by the NAV system. Everyone should use their imagination with the video screens and the content on the display. CD text would be difficult since the CD player would have to tell the NAV whats on the CD so the NAV could generate the text. I am not sure the CD player has that capability. I think it would have to get hacked as well. You could probably make the NAV an MP3 controller for an IPOD with a custom screen. However, you would have to create a custom interface to pipe in the audio stream. Well you could have a switch addressable by the NAV on the GA-NET II bus to switch audio feeds on command. I guess my point is to keep dreaming up ideas, but realize the NAV can do two things (when you really boil it down ...)--display images/text and control things through the build in data bus provided by Honda (GA-NET II).
Exactly the functionality I am looking for.

A custom Trip Computer with widgits of available data over the internal bus.
Specifically I want the Trip Computer to not have any menus and at the very least have time, temp, and fuel range.
I don't know what else is available, perhaps OBD data for a performance screen such as engine temp, spark advance, etc.
Old 04-12-2005 | 12:02 AM
Burning Brakes

how can i save the bmp file as 8bit?! i customized mine and i can only save it as 16bit, which is 220k. someone help
Old 04-12-2005 | 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by n3ok318
how can i save the bmp file as 8bit?! i customized mine and i can only save it as 16bit, which is 220k. someone help
read Post #662
Old 04-12-2005 | 12:50 AM
Burning Brakes

^^^^ ty, yea thought i read it here so i was searching but couldn't find the nasewr. Thanks! anyways, now i can't update my bin file because the previous bmp had smaller compressed file size... what now?!
Old 04-12-2005 | 01:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by n3ok318
^^^^ ty, yea thought i read it here so i was searching but couldn't find the nasewr. Thanks! anyways, now i can't update my bin file because the previous bmp had smaller compressed file size... what now?!

if you had done it right. No reason you get a bigger file.

1) What is your file size ?
2) Got Photoshop ?
Old 04-12-2005 | 09:16 AM
Overlord

Bysin, would it be possible to have a mode where the navi screen displays a really big digital speedo and compass? The information is there in the navi system; it would just be a matter of bringing it together on one display.
Old 04-12-2005 | 09:27 AM
My Garage

I'd just like the nag screen gone and to be able to boot up directly to the map screen.

Thanks for all the hard work guys
Old 04-12-2005 | 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by matelot
if you had done it right. No reason you get a bigger file.

1) What is your file size ?
2) Got Photoshop ?

1)110k
2)yes

well, i tried to over write my already-modified bin file so that might be the problem.. i shall try from the scratch
Old 04-12-2005 | 11:04 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by spyfish007

Im a Computer Engineer that has taken hardware classes, and I agree with spyfish007.
Old 04-12-2005 | 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
Bysin, would it be possible to have a mode where the navi screen displays a really big digital speedo and compass? The information is there in the navi system; it would just be a matter of bringing it together on one display.
That would be pretty cool.
Old 04-12-2005 | 11:27 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
That would be pretty cool.
Why do you need a compass if you have navi, just for looks?
Old 04-12-2005 | 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Why do you need a compass if you have navi, just for looks?
personally i don't care about the compass - more the speedo. but yes, just for looks. in reality i don't see a huge use to having the speedo farther out of your view.
Old 04-12-2005 | 01:26 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by ChRiS_nYc
wish this guy had a tl cause it already can read DVD's (audio dvdS) ... there must be a way to make it play video without using additional hardware.
Well I would say yes and no to this one. With a standard Windows PC, you need at a minimum a software codec in order to play DVD's. In this case I highly doubt the version of CE we have has such a codec in place. Which would mean having to create/gank one from another source. Assuming this was in place, the other question is one of hardware firmware for the existing head unit (not the Navi DVD drive). More specifically does the existing firmware support disks of this type..the answer is no it does not. So in this case it would be a two fold mod, one is to provide an applicable codec to play the DVD's, the other would be to update the head unit firmware to allow these discs to be recognized. Here is to wishful thinking!!!

Old 04-12-2005 | 01:43 PM
10th Gear

There is a reason why the Navi Converter UNit needs a FM modulator or SHOND for the audio because the Navi don't have the ability to tap into all the audio.
Old 04-12-2005 | 02:31 PM
Can't wait to drive

a lot of things are possible, but we are limited by the hardware. Either by the memory, or the way the hardware was designed.

MP3 playback may not be physically possible. the CD changer may only be able to read CDs at 1x, and not CD-ROM (which is required for for mp3s) unless the drive itself is "reflashed"

as mentioned, navi cannot truly tap into the amp in stereo mode. that's a possibililty

Adding any program would require more memory to store the application/ codec, etc..there might not be much spare memory left in the navi unit unless we hack it at a hardware level.
Old 04-12-2005 | 04:24 PM
Team SSM

Originally Posted by tizo
...i did, over and over... even downloading the program multiple times... maybe it wasn`t meant to be...
eh honestly dont worry about it. The no nag thing isnt a big deal, just says go. Plus I noticed whenever the navi has an ok button its been replaced with go.
Old 04-12-2005 | 04:38 PM
TSX User

It took me a couple of days, but I read through most of the posts. DANG!!!

Anyway, the mod [so-far] is that we can change the screen that appears just before the disclaimer (nag) screen. Correct? Is there anything else I missed?
Old 04-12-2005 | 05:00 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
personally i don't care about the compass - more the speedo. but yes, just for looks. in reality i don't see a huge use to having the speedo farther out of your view.

A small compass like the one on the map would be nice to have on a custom trip computer screen along with other summary information such as in/out temp, time, date, etc.

On the MDX we have a large horizontal bar graph of MPG, kinda silly. Instead it would be neat to have a scrolling line chart much like the perf cart on your PC that can show stats such as MPG, speed, etc.

Instead of having to watch the nav screen to see the current stats, you just browse at it every now and then to see the stats for the recent past.

It would be realy cool if you could pull in other data such as that available through OBD. Throttle position, spark advance, acceleration, etc.
Old 04-12-2005 | 06:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Arcticcl9
a lot of things are possible, but we are limited by the hardware. Either by the memory, or the way the hardware was designed.

MP3 playback may not be physically possible. the CD changer may only be able to read CDs at 1x, and not CD-ROM (which is required for for mp3s) unless the drive itself is "reflashed"

as mentioned, navi cannot truly tap into the amp in stereo mode. that's a possibililty

Adding any program would require more memory to store the application/ codec, etc..there might not be much spare memory left in the navi unit unless we hack it at a hardware level.

Those are both good points. For the recipe information to be contained we'd probably need more memory. And a faster drive wouldn't hurt either. From some quick research I have found:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...154513&Site=US

Which could be added to the NAV unit (probably in the trunk. Combined with

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...106-966&DEPA=0

(black to match the dash) probably could allow the hardware to do what we are looking for.
Old 04-12-2005 | 06:25 PM
Can't wait to drive

For added memory, we also need to upgrade the memory controller, to access the additional memory addresses beyond the stock navi

There are so many possiblities, yet there are so many things that can get in the way. It would be good if someone has the schematics to the navi hardware
Old 04-12-2005 | 07:45 PM
9th Gear

The hardware used in the different Acuras are probably different as well. I doubt they would use say a 01 MDX Navi in a 05. But then again, the TSX is only a couple of model years old.

Originally Posted by Arcticcl9
For added memory, we also need to upgrade the memory controller, to access the additional memory addresses beyond the stock navi

There are so many possiblities, yet there are so many things that can get in the way. It would be good if someone has the schematics to the navi hardware
Old 04-12-2005 | 08:01 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by rmastbro
Here's a couple....

Check email...
Track stocks...
Weather radar maps...
News...
Sports scores...
Access acurazine ???
Almost all of these are voice commands for the 2003 TL-S with Nav through the OnStar Virtual Advisor system, although OnStar recently ended the 'check email' option. The system would actually read your emails to you and send your spoken replies as an attached .wav file back to the sender. Of course you can't visual see any of the information.
Old 04-12-2005 | 08:21 PM
10th Gear

Before we think about adding memory and dvd-rom, we should focus on how to access the audio. Without no audio there is no point to get more memory.
Old 04-12-2005 | 10:19 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Judging by a fragment of TL Service Manual I have thanks to vikrampatel , audio connection between Navi and Audio Head Unit is mono. If my limited information is correct, it pretty much rules out any quality MP3 or Video playback with software modifications.
Old 04-12-2005 | 10:39 PM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK ASSASIN

Having Problems

So i did the first couple of steps : but I do not have 9 files , I saved to a temp folder on my D drive but see no dump navi tool , dont know how to add new picture and all that good stuff , Can someone please help . . . not good at this type of thing but i figurd I would tackle it anyway . . . . HELP
Old 04-13-2005 | 12:12 AM
Racer

^ Did you go to post #1 and click on the link which downloads dumpnavi.zip?
Old 04-13-2005 | 12:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kona
^ Did you go to post #1 and click on the link which downloads dumpnavi.zip?
you think he didn't even read the FIRST post ?

Old 04-13-2005 | 02:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gatorsong
Before we think about adding memory and dvd-rom, we should focus on how to access the audio. Without no audio there is no point to get more memory.
The Navi has direct audio access. All the voice commands and voice feedback are on the navi.
Old 04-13-2005 | 02:58 AM
JAM
8th Gear

Cool

Hi, bysin

bysin I own an European Honda Accord w/navy, very similar to yours Acura TSX, but in my DVD there is only 1 .bin file not too large: only 377 KB long.
The DVD unit is different to yours, is model ALPINE 34102 and I hadnīt found any exe or cab file in all the DVD.
I wonder if it will be programmed in Windows CE or linux perhaps?
May you help me?
Old 04-13-2005 | 07:43 AM
Advanced

Brilliant

While I'm not going to be doing the mod myself, I think it's brilliant. I will be sending some $ in support of such ingenuity.

Joe
Old 04-13-2005 | 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JAM
Hi, bysin

bysin I own an European Honda Accord w/navy, very similar to yours Acura TSX, but in my DVD there is only 1 .bin file not too large: only 377 KB long.
The DVD unit is different to yours, is model ALPINE 34102 and I hadnīt found any exe or cab file in all the DVD.
I wonder if it will be programmed in Windows CE or linux perhaps?
May you help me?
see you're in Euro-land it's probly Linux, lol
Old 04-13-2005 | 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdrasin
While I'm not going to be doing the mod myself, I think it's brilliant. I will be sending some $ in support of such ingenuity.
Joe
who is gonna do it ?
Old 04-13-2005 | 05:59 PM
Advanced

mod

Originally Posted by matelot
who is gonna do it ?
I meant I won't be moding my car.

Joe
Old 04-13-2005 | 06:37 PM
Intermediate

Will this work on the 2003 Acura CL Type S???
Old 04-13-2005 | 07:09 PM
Instructor

hey you guys, i have a quick question. after you did the nag screen mod with the provide software, does the ok pop up right away or there is still a 5 or 6 seconds delay before the ok is displayed? it kind of bugs me that the ok doesn't pop up right away with the nag screen.

Quick Reply: Modify your navigation system