mirror blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question mirror blinkers

I know a few people on here were talking about clearing out the blinkers in the headlight assembly and maybe the corner parking lights too and putting PIAA blue plasmas or hyper-white bulbs in. I was thinking if anyone thought about doing the same to the side mirror blinkers. (i.e. changing the amber bulbs to blue or white)

Not something I would do personally, but I am just curious.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:29 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

If you find any info on how to do this, fill me in asap... Would be very very interested on performing this mod.

J.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:45 AM
Advanced

...just have to ask this question...do you guys who put bright white or bright blue light bulbs into your corner marker lights and turn signals ever actually drive at night and see what a nuisance and menace you are to the rest of the driving populace?
...why don't you run with your high beams and fog lights on also, might as well make sure that all the other drivers on the road are blinded by your bright intelligence...
...they were designed to be amber for an INTELIGENT reason, called SAFETY!...seems to me that a lot of ricing has little to do if anything at all with safety, but everything for the 'golly gee look at me' aspect and to hell with worrying about bothering anyone, or being a safe driver. Its almost as if the whole idea is one of becoming as obnoxious and in your face as you can possibly get, and believe me there are more than a few rice rockets out there that are incredibly obnoxious...and incredibly STUPID, DANGEROUS, and, after seeing more than a few reduced to their individual components after encountering light poles or other cars while street racing, a menace to themselves and others.
...seems a horrible thing to do to such a great car, an insult to the TSX, IMHO...

Lorne Miller
Old 08-29-2003, 02:05 AM
Banned

your views are completely out of line for this type of forum. and let me just say.... PREACH ON BROTHA... PREACH ON!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:17 AM
Instructor

I am all for a completely clear headlight housing, but keep the turning lights amber by using proper colored bulbs!!!

I cleared the headlight on my '98 Accord by removing that lower amber strip on the bottom. It looked clean and sharp. But I put amber bulbs in there so that it still lit up amber at night.

And please, no blue/green bulbs in the signal lights. It is ghetto.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, it is also illegal to use any other color than amber/yellow in your turn signals. That is a NHTSA regulation.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by Crazytree
your views are completely out of line for this type of forum.
...so tell me why my views are out of line, the last time I checked the title page, it said TSX.com, which is about discussing the TSX, if I happen to think making your car into a rice rocket is a dumb idea, I have the right to say so, my main concern, as voiced by several other members, is the safety aspect of installing bright white or blue bulbs into the turn signals, which is blinding at night to any oncoming driver who you might be trying to make a turn in front of. Tell my why you think that is such a good idea...and why you think it is smart to make your car illegal just to be cool in front of all the other 'dudes' who think that way, makes no sense to me at all...please give us an intelligent answer to justify bright white turn signals, other than the fact you think its 'cool'...

...oh, by the way, my car is not totally stock either, but the modifications were made to make it handle better and safer, and a rear spoiler was added because I prefer the red LED's in it to the smaller center mounted rear brake light, as I don't like tailgaters after being rear-ended over half a dozen times...

Lorne Miller
Old 08-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Racer

Interesting that the NHTSA says that the front turn signal has to be amber...when California state law, allow a clear or amber signal up front.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Geez. I just said i was interested in changing the colour of my lights to distinguish my tsx from the others on the road... I had no plan for all this mishigas from everyone....
To clarify, I was interested in changing the colour of the lights, and thats it. No where did I have any intentions of installing super-bright, blinding lights- a change of colour does not mean an increase in the brightness of the bulb.
I have very little faith in myself in actually going through with this sort of modification, however- I was simply interested in seeing how the mirror is built and what it would take to change the LEDs.
Lorne, I see your point- modifications that distract other drivers can be potentially dangerous and disruptive to other drivers. However, please note that much as clothing styles differ for each and every person, many people find their car to be representative of their personality- and there are many who arent satisfied with the image associated with a stock vehicle.

FYI, my TSX is stock, save blue bulbs in the door lights.

J.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

my .02 i agree 100% with Lorne Miller
and personally after having spent almost 30,000 for a nice lux sports car it pisses me off to see how some kids will do almost anything to the car to make it "unique" the automobile is a tool used for getting yourself from point A to B. there is nothing against getting there in style or with a smile on your fact but first and foremost the car is a tool not a toy.
swapping out bulbs to different is not only illeagle but stupid and just to set the record straight ill say it out loud.
while all the people that put stupid colored lights erector set aluminum wings ground lighting and about every other rice accessory you can think of to look cool for your friends, THE REST OF US ARE LAUGHING OUR ASSES OFF AT YOU!! because it looks so stupid.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:16 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Cool Turn signal color regulations... bah!

Screw this "amber or clear only" BS. :P I plan to make my front turn signals red and blue! Maybe that will make people move out of my way!

Maybe I'll paint the hood black and the doors white, too!

Let's all have a "group buy" on blue and red LEDs!!!
Old 08-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Banned

Lorne... are you that dumb that you don't realize I'm agreeing with you?
Old 08-29-2003, 08:03 PM
Advanced

...sorry, Crazytree, if I misinterpretted your post, no offence intended...

Lorne Miller
Old 08-29-2003, 08:36 PM
Racer

If you guys are so worried about blinding everyone you really need to get rid of your HID lights. I'm sure that the HID's blind way more people than a single turn signal.

Old 08-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Lorne Miller
...sorry, Crazytree, if I misinterpretted your post, no offence intended...

Lorne Miller
PEACE!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

lol
Old 08-30-2003, 12:20 AM
Instructor

I agree with Bass Mechanic. I was hoping for the responses I got. Thankfully my fellow TSX'ers know that this car is about class and refinement not boy-racer rice mods.

My faith in the world has been restored!
Old 08-30-2003, 05:09 AM
Racer

Originally posted by ssm_tsx
If you guys are so worried about blinding everyone you really need to get rid of your HID lights. I'm sure that the HID's blind way more people than a single turn signal.

Here here! Hahaha, there are better and more annoying things to whine about than bright corners. I could use less raised SUVs and trucks with super whites than brighter than normal corner lights.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:00 PM
4th Gear

Back to the original subject

The original question was about headlights and turn signals was it not ???
The mirror turn signal bulb is NOT replaceable. After I took the whole mirror apart to do just the same I found it was a one piece sealed plastic unit so to change the bulb you would have to change the whole clear plastic piece. Unless someone has come out with an actual replacement part you CAN NOT do much with it.
With the HID's this is the same problem that happened when Halogen first came out, correct me if I am wrong. I have changed my HID's to the Philips 6000K which gives a more coloured look (in my case these are a purplish) and I have not had any irate people blinking there highbeams at me since !!!
Just a comment on HID lights, I would NEVER go back to Halogen period.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
According to the California vehicle code:

1. Headlights must be white. They cannot be any color other than white. That means they cannot be green, blue, red, or any other shade. They must be white and must be DOT approved.

2. Turn signal lamps in the front of the car (any part before the B pillar) must light up amber. The lenses may be amber or white, but they must light up amber. This applies to both side marker lights and to the mirror mounted side markers.

3. Turn signal lamps in the back of the car must light up either red or amber. The lenses may be any color, but the it must light up red or amber.

4. Tail/stop lights must light up red. The lenses may be any color, but when lit, they must be red.

5. Reverse lamps must be white. They may not be any color other than white.

Personally, I hate people with the blinkers that light up any color other than amber. It's just ugly and annoying. Also, colored reverse lights annoy me to no end.