Looking into a TSX...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking into a TSX...need advice

ok...I've been looking into a new car/suv/something for a few months now. Earlier today, I saw a commercial on TV about the '06 TSX. It looked cool, so I went to the Acura website and it seems to have everything I want:

4 Door
Automatic option
Auto Climate Control
Optional navigation
Automatic windows
good gas mileage
Reasonable price

My question to all you TSX owners is: how do you like yours? What kind of gas mileage do you get? is it worth spending the money on it?

Thanks for the advice,

Kevin
Old 08-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Revolutionary

I love mine, gas mileage can vary usually from low 20's to mid 30's depending on driver, and yes it's a great value- definitely worth the money.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lately my gas mileage has been crappy... like mid 20's in 50% highway.
I attribute it to AC usage.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Instructor

I really love this car

I went from a '96 corolla to the tsx, so the power actually went up for me. The gas mileage is pretty good; I drive almost all city with maybe 5% freeway and the HID says I average 24.8 mpg, which is more than what the sticker says. It's definitely a good bang for buck luxary car.

The navigation is also a must have for this car. For me, it's the buying point of the car. It's the absolute best navi out of all the ones out in the market. Voice recognition is superb.

I'd also recommend getting the 6 speed manual if you can drive it/have the patience to learn. It's a lot faster with the manual and puts you more "on the road," if you know what I mean.

Good luck to you for the negotiations
Hope to see you on these boards more often!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:48 PM
無限 本田 CL9

depending on what your previous car was, the tsx's gas mileage could be heaven or hell

it was a big improvement from my '04 lancer evolution

you are posting on a tsx enthuasist's website, im pretty sure 90% of the people here feel positive about this car

perhaps a better place to get an unbiased opinion is from edmund.com
Old 08-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
You want my advice? My advice is, go buy this car. =]
Old 08-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I just got mine two months ago, and I love it. Everything about it is perfect for what I wanted. It's true, we're not unbiased, but I wouldn't be posting here in the first place if I didn't like it AFTER I made the choice to buy it.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

With A/C on all the time, mostly highway, I am getting 27, nearly 28 MPG. (I don't think I've had the opportunity to do all-highway, but a lot of my commute to work is highway, so I don't have an all-city figure either. It's not like I can complain -- this is a lot of power for such good milage.)

I love my manual tranny, and the car in general.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:13 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Purchased the 06 TSX 5AT Carbon Gray w/ Quartz & Navi in May 06. To date we have 3600 miles from one road trip and mostly commuter miles. Mileage has been steady at around 25-27 mpg on mix commuter driving (65% hwy/35% city) and 32-34 mpg on interstate driving.

Pros – I’m amazed on how much use I get from the Navi system. I’ve originally felt the Navi was overkill for a city I live in for over 6 years; but I find the Navi saves me a lot of travel time. I can drive directly to my destination instead of hunting for the address a mile or more away from it.

Bluetooth is a great feature because my wife can never find her Razr phone in her purse. One city in our state outlawed talking on a cell while driving, my city might be next. The HFL may be the only way to talk in a moving vehicle pretty soon.

There is enough power for everyday driving/commuting. Very smooth and stable on the highway, even with speed above 95 mph. Only time I crave more is passing on an uphill grade or on ramp situations. I live/travel between 5000-7500ft elevation. I have a few less horses available compared to my sea level TSXs.

Love the HID headlights didn’t realize how much I was missing with Halogen lights until I saw HID behind the wheel.

Cons – The XM radio promotion should be for at least 1 year instead of 3 months. It would be nice to choose between Sirus or XM.

I’ve always figure 360 watt stereo would sound a lot louder, crisper and with more bass. My $140 Alpine in my 97 Accord with 4 speakers is louder and has more bass.

I feel I sit a little too high in the seat and a few more inches of seat travel would be nice for me (6’3” w/ long legs). The rear view mirror causes a front right blind spot for me. I have to look under the rear view mirror at a 4-way stop because the car to the right is 100% hidden.

Conclusion – The TSX has the performance, economy, luxury, reliability, features, and safety innovations I wanted in an entry level luxury sport sedan. I enjoy driving everyday and only seeing 2-3 TSX’s a week compared to 10-15 Honda’s a day. I like the exterior styling and the interior is second to none in its class. I plan on keeping this car well past the 120,000 mile mark. The TSX gets 9 out of 10 in my book.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Love it....so worth it!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
nice write up mr. gold
Old 08-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Burning Brakes

the tsx overall is a great car with a few little probelms. ie squeaky seats.. but then again mine is a 05 so maybe they fixed it for the 06s
Old 08-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Racer

Another option would be to look at the IS250. My friend just got one for $33k OTD.

I love the TSX but the Lexus is soooooo much nicer. Interior is gorgeous with high quality parts.

Im still debating btw the two.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:41 AM
No-navi, yo

Here is the thread of a heated debate on TSX. You might learn some of people's criticism on the car.
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/tl-vs-tsx-345073/

In terms of overall value, I don't see any car comes close to TSX even today. Mine is 2004, and I still love it.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Very nice car. Extremly smooth with very adequate power. Got 33.6 MPG's on a recent road trip with AC on about 80% of the time. The EXTRA bonus you get when buying a TSX, is that it is made in Japan!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Love it. Very nimble, enough power and manuverability in traffic. Most complaints about the TSX lie in the perception of a lack of power due to no v6/turbo option, but this engine is more than adequate at speed or in traffic.

As for your requirements, I don't know about the 06's but 04-05 only have auto up/down window on the driver's door. Otherwise the TSX fits the bill.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks a lot to everyone for the great, in depth advice/ opinions! The TSX has now definitely moved to the top of my list!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 04:39 AM
Racer

I just got a TSX also and so far it has been a great car. It has everything that a luxury car should have including navigation and more. Definitely is the best value for what you get.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:29 AM
Advanced

Here is my advice.

I'm a BIG research guy. I will dive into a project full on when I set forth on it. So, when I recently set out to buy a new car, I went research crazy. I was on message boards, consumer reports websites, and various reviews with consumer feedback as well. In the end I found two cars which seemed to represent the best values available right now.

Of course one of them was the 2006 Acura TSX. However, there was another, much more affordable car that I came across as well. It was the Mazda 3 hatchback.

So, to make a long story short, I ended up buying both cars.

The reason i'm mentioning both cars however, is that I firmly believe that both cars are just awesome deals for the money. The TSX is the best value under $30,000 for a sports sedan. The Mazda 3 Grand Touring, is the best value for under $25,000.

I'll spare you a long song about how much I love the TSX, but needless to say I LOVE it. It's just an awesome car for the $26,000 I paid for my non navi model. Just beautiful inside and out. The car is literally a brilliant blend of fuel economy, power, and safety, Honda reliability, and then they just throw in this amazing sense of classy style. Nearly a perfect vehicle for under $30,000.

The Mazda 3 however, is very similar to the TSX in that it is such an amazing deal for the $20,800 I paid for the Grand Touring model. The car even offers features that aren't on my TSX, and they're far from meaningless features.

The Mazda 3 has auto windshield wipers that work flawlessly. You'd think they threw on some cheap version of them on such an affordable car, but they didn't. These things work as well as you'd dream auto wipers would work. Then the car has auto headlights. When it's gets dark, you can have them set to just turn on when they need to. It also has an auto adjusted volume control on the stereo. The volume of the stereo increases as the speed of the car increases, thus making it less likely that you'll have to turn it up as you get on the highway, and off. Brilliant features.

So, to sum things up here, I love both cars, but I just wanted to mention the Mazda 3, because if you are looking to spend several thousand less, it makes for an awesome alternative, and I can honestly say that I could just about be every bit as happy owning the 3, as I would with the TSX. Even though one cost me $26,000, and the other ended up at $20,800.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Advanced

I have had a modified Jeep Cherokee since I was 16 -- and I still have it. She gets a whopping 13-18 mpg and drives like a tank. However, she is reliable and I know every nut and bolt on her -- so she will be mine until the day I die!!

When I first started looking at cars earlier this year all I knew was that I needed really good fuel economy in order to afford to have a car payment -- so, after much research on the issue, I bought myself a VW TDI on 01 May 2006. However -- on 02 May 2006 the transmission pretty much fell out of the VW and the whole transmission needed to be REPLACED -- not just fixed.

So -- to keep a long story short -- I sold the TDI back to VW about a month ago. What a relief!! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CONSIDERING A VW!!

One week after I sold the VW back (and after much more research), I test drove and purchased a 2006 TSX. It cost me about $1500 more than the VW -- but, in the time that I was waiting to sell the VW back to VW, I was able to save that much more to put down on the TSX!!

So -- on to the important stuff -- I love the TSX. I am 25 years old and living in DC/NOVA hell. I am a bit nervous for my first dent/ding/scratch since she is such a beauty -- but I will take it in stride and consider whatever happens to be a beauty mark!! The handling of the vehicle is pretty good -- the power is surprising -- the design of the interior is elegantly simple -- and I KNOW this vehicle is going to last FOREVER. I guess my only two "complaints" are the sound system being a little less than desired and the "roll" that I feel in turns (but that's fixable in the long run I guess).

Negotiate -- buy the car -- and enjoy the car. Good luck.

Emily