Las Vegas and Grand Canyon here we come!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:11 AM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las Vegas and Grand Canyon here we come!

So, seeing that I *may* be taking my TSX for a drive out west this summer, I think this is a good place for a "General post" if not, mods, feel free to move me.

Anyway, I've been to Vegas before so I'm going to concentrate on the Grand Canyon. Has anyone been there? Any recommendations? I saw the mule rides down to the canyon on youtube (scary), however, they're booked solid for the days that we're thinking of going. Is hiking down feasible? We're planning to spend overnight at Yavapai Lodge (any good?) so a good two days will be spent at G Canyon and the rest will be exploring Nevada in general.

What I really want to know is what are the fees once you reach G. Canyon? Saw hints of gate fee of some sort, and then some hiking permits and whatnot, but they're all hints from G. Canyon tour packages and they never have fees stated. We want to see the new Skywalk which was opened recently in March I think.

Any recommendations from first hand experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
we are heading from NC to Ca on May 7th. We want to do our road-trip before school summer vacations (parks get very crowded). We are driving the southern state route. We are planning to visit our nephew and family that live near vegas. Last may we took a road trip thru 20 states (yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, etc.) Drove 6,177 miles.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Poser / Fanboi

Try the north rim, it's less crowded.

You could get there via I-70, it would be a much more beautiful drive than I-40, I assure you... well, at least once you got into Colorado.

If you are in TN, I would suggest taking I-40 to approximately Jackson - from there head northwest on backroads to pick up I-155 in Dyersburg, then I-55 to St. Louis. Skirt around the outside of that town to I-70 west. Once you hit Denver and start to climb into the Rockies you won't be disappointed.

Once you hit the western slope - that's what we call the Grand Junction area in Western Colorado - you'll be close to Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, and, of course, Moab. Bring a mountain bike.

Head south on US 191, to US 163, you'll go through Monument Valley, then over to Page and north enough (across the Glen Canyon Dam) to get to the north rim.

That's my suggestion... You can still get to Vegas from there.

BTW, you won't really want to "explore Nevada". It's a barren wasteland of a desert. Death Valley is okay this time of year but don't go much later unless you like to sweat A LOT.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Race Director

you lucky sob
Old 04-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Boring Teacher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was at the Grand Canyon last May, I think I paid a $20 entrance fee to the park. That was one fee for everyone in the car. Once inside the park, I didn't pay anything else. The park is huge! and $20 is NOTHING for the experience of seeing the canyon in person. I did a helicopter tour and it was awesome! They flew us right into the canyon.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Hybrid

Been there, done that... Lots of tourists and storms during the summer - Have fun

Try these links:

Grand Canyon Explorer

National Parks Service - Grand Canyon
Old 04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

thanks for the suggestions... also, i've been looking to see what i need to bring, aside from sunscreen lotion sweatshirt?, jeans? bug spray for mosquitoes? an umbrella? flashlight? a taser for unruly wildlife?.

can i get away with wearing shorts for the evening?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
We stayed in Las Vegas last Sep and made a day trip to the West rim and that Sky Bridge. You know, the glass bottom walkway that goes out over the rim. It is 4,000 feet to the bottom of the canyon and over 1,000 feet straight down below your feet. It was great. They were still building this place while we were there. Making some sort of restaurant at the sky walk. And they take you by bus to some other places and we had the best bar-b-que in the most remote place you can think. It was not cheap, about $80 per person including a ticket to walk on the bridge but it is an easy day trip from Las Vegas and we stopped at the damn along the way. But a MAJOR warning.... the road to the west rim has a 14 mile stretch that is unpaved. They tell you it is a gravel road, what they don't tell you is that it is 14 miles of the most hellacious washboard road you have ever seen in your life! We had a rental car and I found it was best to drive about 30 mph on this thing and I thought I was going to beat the shit out of that car. At 30 mph you hit the tops of the washboard but the effect feels like you are driving on ice. I would NEVER take my car over that road. In hindsight it was hilarious, but at the time we almost turned back. For a day trip it was great and there are some awesome views of the canyon. I would recommend it but not if you are driving your own car.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I once was planning to take a mini vacation to the grand canyon. I didn't go because no one else could go with me. You can either drive there and pay for parking, or you can take a bus which will be cheaper. The place you're staying at might have some sort of arrangement.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Check this out... the National Park Service's guide to the South Rim. If you're camping it might be a good idea to get reservations, which you probably can do through this site.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:05 PM
2006 DGP Sold 10/24/2012

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just returned from a LV/GC road trip a few weeks ago. IIRC it is now $25 per car for the entry to the park and that is good for (I think) 3 days. It was crowded but not bad if you get to the rim in the morning before 9 AM. By noon it was nuts... can't imagine what it is like in the summer but I'd never visit then after experiencing it in April and October.

There was still snow on the ground in a few places but most likely it has disappeared by now. I'd go with long pants at night unless you are very hairy.

Oh, and if you feel the urge to pee over the side.... be advised that most places on the rim have a nasty updraft....
Old 04-27-2008, 06:56 AM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Originally Posted by Santa Rosa Steve

{good stuff snipped}.

Oh, and if you feel the urge to pee over the side.... be advised that most places on the rim have a nasty updraft....

thanks for the warning! i may just try it for the hell of it!

no, really, so another words, you're saying that before we hike down, make sure we either empty our bladders or try to sweat off the water bottles that we'd be consuming on the way down?