Just noticed how young everyone is on here ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hunterk1
I guess some form of acknowledgement might be nice (perhaps in the form of "yes, your analysis is correct, I could potentially have done better financially by postponing my purchase of an expensive depreciating asset"), but it's difficult for people to admit errors; and it's difficult (and wrong, IMHO) to say it's a (life) error. I could run the numbers (and have in other cases)... how much, really, are we taking about here? $5k? $10k? That's really not that much.

I appreciate your logic, but not everyone is that logical.

A TSX isn't a dumb purchase, that's for sure. A smart purchase right now is a Camry Hybrid (IMHO). Not as fun as a TSX but man... easy on gas! I mean, jeez, they could have bought a $30k SUV instead, that would have been dumb! Talk about depreciation!

Extravagant... well I considered the TSX VERY extravagant... but I'm not sure most people do. I like my hair-shirts.

I agree that there is a broad sense of entitlement in the US today. I do not know if it has been around for a long time. Certainly our grandparents (the 'depression generation') did not seem to have it.

Fair enough. Don't go into business or grant writing, you've got to be a little more diplomatic there...
For the sake of full disclosure I've been wondering lately if I didn't make a mistake buying a new TSX instead of something used, not necessarily a TSX. I got a good deal on a used Odyssey recently, a better deal than I though possible for any vehicle at the time I bought the TSX. While I have the benefit of knowing the new car's history and I've maintained it well, the difference in price is probably enough to pay for an engine rebuild.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
You take me off your ignore list long enough to point out spelling mistakes? Please put me back in.
I was joking, nimrod. ... No, actually you've made for enjoyable reading for several weeks, I guess you got laid or promoted at work or something. But from time to time you state your opinion, and when someone has a contrary view, you start taking it personally and lash back. You seem to overlook that you type it, we read it, mission accomplished; getting someone to say, "wow, you're right and you've altered my viewpoint" is the rare success. Usually the best we can expect here is someone reading thoughtfully. Which I think has already been done. You seem to want to go further and brand those who disagree with you "cowards" and such. Very predictable ... and very boring. Oh, and very good at devaluing anything you have to say.
This is nothing new. davidspalding keeps taking me in and out of his ignore list, he can't make up his mind. There is one member who I'm sure intends me physical harm. The mods can lock this thread, that wouldn't be a first for me either.
Nope, "ignore" is not a permanent purgatory. I can make up my mind just fine, and have made up my mind that at times you're rather rambunctious in your treatment of others, so are we all, and so you're worth listening to most of the time. In the past, I've squelched you for a while, had a nice respite from wackura-isms, then taken it off when I regain interest in your viewpoint. I refuse to brand you as a stereotype and never listen to you again. That'd be,... well, stupid.

And if none of this makes sense, settle for "I know you are but what'm I?"
Old 07-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
For the sake of full disclosure I've been wondering lately if I didn't make a mistake buying a new TSX instead of something used, not necessarily a TSX. I got a good deal on a used Odyssey recently, a better deal than I though possible for any vehicle at the time I bought the TSX. While I have the benefit of knowing the new car's history and I've maintained it well, the difference in price is probably enough to pay for an engine rebuild.
Sometimes it's worth remembering that you made the decision at a certain point in time, with certain information available to you. In retrospect, I wonder if I'd been better off getting that hot red IS250 for $18k, or holding out for a CPO RSX, or maybe a cheaper Celica or Camry or Altima or Accord, but ... I did a load of research, test drove a few cars, and grabbed what I wanted for a price which Consumer Reports indicated a better than average price for a CPO TSX. Done deal. I try not to look back. Was it a reckless purchase? I dunno, did you do it on impulse, or think about it and review the options?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Sometimes it's worth remembering that you made the decision at a certain point in time, with certain information available to you.
I definitely should have bought the CBR1000RR instead. And put a baby pillion seat on it.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 07-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by EuroR08
used TSXs seem a little more in the younger crowds price range. also I dont see ppl over 30 really into moding up their car and going crazy on the forums.

also keep in mind TSXs get cheaper when you remove options.

personally i bought mine as my 21st birthday present to myself. I work at an engineering firm just out of school and make good money it all works out.

>>>>> oh as a side note - thanks to those who are serving our country. I think you have a right to get paid bank and drive a nice car

What options? You mean the only option there is -- navi? Other than that, I love the TSX because the TSX is what it is. It's sporty but sophisticated, and it's luxurious but not over the top.

I don't think cars like Camry's are bad but when they range from all manual (no power windows, locks) to all leather (pretty much like the Lexus IS250) then it's hard to be proud of what you own.

I'm very proud of my TSX for what it is!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:42 AM
05 Crew

Originally Posted by davidspalding

We have a winner! (I know your dad would've gotten a good used car, but he made a reaaalllly sensible choice for you IMPO. The TSX will likely take you through college, and then some.)
Yeah definitely. I hope to keep the car for at least 100K miles. I just reached 30K this weekend. So far, the only things that went wrong with the car were the Door Actuator in the front passenger side door and the center armrest storage bin hinge.

Both were replaced with warranty.

oh, and not to mention the shitty michellin stockies.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
well i bought my tsx thanks to all your tax money :P actually i was deployed to iraq for a year and came back with 38k and decided to buy the tsx. i would have never have enough money if i never got deployed. so i can proudly say that i worked hard for this car
You deserved it. Thanks for your service to our country.