Intermittent starting 2004 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent starting 2004 TSX

Hi, new here, not sure this is the right section for posting, but:

I have a 2004 TSX, 98K miles. Recently had service and a basic tune-up, everything checked out ok.

But for a couple of weeks or so, I've noticed a very slight drag when I turn the key, as if the battery was maybe running a tad low, but it has started right up. My mechanic said that can happen in very cold weather, which we've had.

This evening, I went into the garage and reached for the driver door, but it was locked - and I do not lock my car in the garage. So I thought it was really odd. Pressed the door button on remote, it opened fine, I got in, put key in ignition and there was a real drag, lights came on, slight cranking sound, then click and nothing.

I waited a couple of minutes, tried again, no lights, no sound, nothing.

Went back in and called someone to come and charge the battery.

He got here about an hour later, but right before he arrived, I went back out and car started just fine - no hesitation.

The guy checked the battery, said it was fine, strong charge.

Alternator also checked out fine.

He thinks it may be the starter, which may indeed be the case.

Will take it to mechanic tomorrow, but I am afraid if it's the starter, it may not only be expensive but take several hours.

In the meantime, do you guys think there is any possible correlation between the doors being locked and this happening? Or was this merely a coincidence?

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Suze
Old 02-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Check both positive and negative battery cables and connections for corrosion and repair as indicated. Symptoms can be caused by bad connections or cables, as well as bad starter.

If battery is original, I would get a 2nd opinion as you are overdue.

Excellent diy procedure for starter replacement on this forum.

good luck
Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the battery voltage is good (about 12V while cranking) then it is sounding more and more like the starter. If that was the case you should have the ability to turn on the lights. With the battery low the brights would come on, they would just be very dim.

The job itself is straight forward, just a lot of stuff that needs to be disconnected to remove the manifold.

I don't think there is any correlation between the door being locked and this problem. I think it is most likely that you hit the button on the FOB at one time or another. With this car, even if you hit the unlock button the doors will relock after about 30 seconds.