Interior plastic trim just scratches waaay too easily

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Interior plastic trim just scratches waaay too easily

I have an '06 with the gray interior, and I noticed that all the plastic trim pieces inside the cabin are waaay too easy to scratch or mar. I realize that some of the materials in our car are more upscale, but the hard plastic in my GF's PT cruiser is more resistant to scratching than my TSX! I can lightly run my nail on any hard plastic gray trim piece (below driver's seatbelt, center console, back of center console, or anywhere next to the glove box) and make a noticeable mark. My nail (which isn't guitar player long or anything) shouldn't be strong enough to do anything. I'm talking about lightly rubbing the plastic with the top of one of my nails. Is it possible my car just has a bad batch of plastic? Or is this just something general about our cars? I feel like I have to baby the interior all the time. Not to mention the fact that there's NO good way of making light gray trim scratches go away. Can I buff these out with a product or something? The issue is that I see all of my trim getting f'ed up just by having passengers' shoes knocking and scraping the console. Someone wearing a watch could easily scratch the gray plastic pieces on the passenger/rear doors just by leaving their wrist there. All the other trim (leather, vinyl, and soft rubbery black crap on the dash) seems to be very good at resisting scratches. What gives?

Last edited by Jottle; 01-21-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yea I know what you're talking about. I have the ebony interior (2008) and it seems to have a similar issue. It seems that it's jus the material that they used for it. You can try cleaning it but scratches are hard to get rid of on light color interiors, like stains. Check you local auto store and see if they have some products to help treat scrapes and scratches on the interior. I am just very careful when it comes to my interior and most ppl who get in my car i tell not to f it up or anything lol. Kids suck tho, lil cuzins almost always wreck my car. I jus put in some elbow grease with armor all and mf cloths and get to work and it seems to repair it fine for me.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sortudo7
Yea I know what you're talking about. I have the ebony interior (2008) and it seems to have a similar issue. It seems that it's jus the material that they used for it. You can try cleaning it but scratches are hard to get rid of on light color interiors, like stains. Check you local auto store and see if they have some products to help treat scrapes and scratches on the interior. I am just very careful when it comes to my interior and most ppl who get in my car i tell not to f it up or anything lol. Kids suck tho, lil cuzins almost always wreck my car. I jus put in some elbow grease with armor all and mf cloths and get to work and it seems to repair it fine for me.
Glad I'm not the only one. I've looked for products and I'll I've ever found are that plastx stuff that's only supposed to be used on clear plastics, not colored ones. Interior cleaners tend to just be for removing dirt Anyone have some products that work for them on the plastic trim with light scratches?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same Problem - The plastic where the seat belt rests after you take it off looks like i owned the car for 10 years about 2 weeks after I got it.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Pro

This is what I suspected. It's just the material is prone to scratches. Too bad there isn't any way to get rid of them unless you protect the area. You could put some sort of gray felt or something. Of course, that would look pretty ridiculous. Anyone else have experience with this?
Old 01-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You can try asking your dealer if they have anything they use to treat and/or fix scratches like that since I am sure it happens to cars they are tryin to sell and they attempt to fix it or at least make it look good.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Pro

reviving this old thread: I've heard that some of the scratches can be mostly repaired/minimized by using a heat gun or hair dryer. Obviously you don't want to burn your plastic, but heating it up would make it pliable enough to push or rub out scratches pretty easily. Anyone tried this? The f'ing dealership has apparently scratched my lower passenger side door, and they're sending it to a shop to "repair" the scratch. I'm going to raise hell if it's noticeable. Given that the door panel is one part. They're going to have to replace the whole panel if they do a shitty job with this.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My black interior is pristine, the previous owner was anal about keeping it in good shape like me. The only thing I need help with is cleaning the soft A pillar cloth material...