Infiniti G35 -- On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give it a B+

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004 | 03:49 AM
More On

Infiniti G35 -- On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give it a B+

Rented a G35 this weekend. At first they gave me a Chrysler something-or-other Classic, I really don't know (it was night-time and stuff, couldn't see it too well, didn't have the stomach to take a closer look), and I was like, "Uh, I don't think this meets the criteria , so I went back and flipped the dice again a coupla times and wound up with the G35. Did quite a bit of driving in it, all kinds.

Verdict: Nice, but no TSX. I'm serious.

Power is a lot better of course -- but I think I discovered why I don't mind FWD -- I'm sort of too delicate for RWD. I mean, I hit the gas, and it's like, "WHOA!!! Who did that?" Mostly j/k, but maybe it's true. But besides that, the acceleration just isn't as smooth as the TSX or the TL (or the old TL-S).

Handling -- Felt very, very similar to the TL, but as best I can remember, not quite equal. (I only test-drove the TL, and that was 3 months ago.) Which means, not equal to the TSX. While the TSX feels like tight steel, the G35 feels a little rubbery. "Hey, what's the car doing coming over HERE??? The wheels are still over THERE!"

Ride -- Similar to the TL but (again as best I can remember) not quite as good in any respect. TSX has a tighter ride, and I like it better. (Although my wife doesn't.)

Brakes -- Great. Better than TSX, probably better than 5AT TL also (don't remember for sure).

About the seat: At first I thought, hey, this is great. It reminded me of the ES300 (yeah, when I tried the Lexus it was before the 330 came out). Really plush, maybe better than the TL. (And my wife loved the G35's passenger seat.) But after about 20 minutes, I was really missing the TSX seat. The G35 seat is way more luxurious, and the leather feels finer, but the support is a lot less. Not that I was in pain or anything, but its feeling was flimsy and, well.....non-athletic, and, it seemed, less healthy, especially noticeable in the low-back area.

Bottom line: I wouldn't want a RWD car anyway because of the winter considerations, but even regardless, it's hard for me to see why anyone would want this car over the TL. And of course I much prefer the TSX. But don't get me wrong -- it was neat to drive this car...... and I think I had a little better time with it than I would have with the Chrysler.
Old 01-12-2004 | 04:04 AM
Über Geek

Nicely done, Larch.
What did you think of the interior? I keep hearing that's its weak spot. I sat in one at our 2002 Auto Show but I barely remember.
Old 01-12-2004 | 04:05 AM
More On

Like what?

Really -- I don't notice "interior" much, except for the seat.
Old 01-12-2004 | 10:57 AM
Instructor

A friend of mine has a G35.... it's pretty powerful, and I dig the sound of the exhaust. My friend does concur though, that he likes the TSX interior better. The G35 interior kind of looks a little too "blocky" for such a curvy looking car.
Old 01-12-2004 | 11:24 AM
Pro

Re: Infiniti G35 -- On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give it a B+

Originally posted by larchmont
Bottom line: I wouldn't want a RWD car anyway because of the winter considerations...
Get with it larch, they have an AWD G35 now for wet and winter driving. However, when the wheels are not slipping, it is 100% RWD, so that is still something that you seem to dislike.
Old 01-12-2004 | 12:12 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Hey Larch, how do you classify a B+ on a numerical scale???
Old 01-12-2004 | 01:31 PM
More On

I was wondering if anybody would notice that.

About the interior: I guess Jester is right, although as I said, I'm not much affected by those things. The seat surfaces -- meaning the leather -- looked and felt nicer in the G35, but from a "sitting" standpoint, the seats weren't nearly as good for me. The dash/console etc., in retrospect, weren't cool like in the TSX, but I didn't really pay attention.
Old 01-12-2004 | 02:53 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by lgregoir
Hey Larch, how do you classify a B+ on a numerical scale???
it's clearly 8.67 :P
Old 01-12-2004 | 02:54 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Larch, I think you should edit your post to add a few more parenthetical comments (some people think I make a lot also).
Old 01-12-2004 | 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

People who make too many parenthetical comments should never be trusted (including me). :P
Old 01-12-2004 | 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

I sat in a G35 coupe the other day (but didn't have time to drive it). The exterior looks great but the interior just didn't do it for me at all...the styling just said "I wanna look cool" but it's just trying too hard. And for some reason, the materials reminded me of domestic luxury wanna-bes...
Old 01-12-2004 | 05:12 PM
More On

Originally posted by jcg878
Larch, I think you should edit your post to add a few more parenthetical comments (some people think I make a lot also).
Ah, the memories!.....We got into that over here:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...2619#post22619

.....and for a few posts after that.

And also, for some reason, around the middle of this thread too:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...ht=parentheses

I guess it IS incurable.
Old 01-12-2004 | 05:35 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Hey Larch, if this G35 rating is on a scale of 1-10. Where did the B+ come from. SHouldn't it have been 8 or 9 or something numerical. Sorry i just had to point that out. when i first read the title of your thread i had to laugh.
Old 01-12-2004 | 05:58 PM
Banned

too cramped... kinda ugly.
Old 01-12-2004 | 07:01 PM
Drifting

Thanks, Larchmont - great write-up!

Regrettably, I never test drove the G35 before I bought my TSX. I was just looking for a FWD or AWD vehicle for this snowy climate here. I am surprised by your comment that the G35 drove more like a TL, with less precise and less tight handling than the TSX! Does anybody else feel the same way about the G35's handling too?
Old 01-12-2004 | 08:22 PM
Pro

Originally posted by ostrich
I am surprised by your comment that the G35 drove more like a TL, with less precise and less tight handling than the TSX! Does anybody else feel the same way about the G35's handling too?
Remember the source. Larch is the biggest TSX fan on earth, so nothing will ever compare. A Lexus isn't as reliable, a Ferrari's handling isn't as tight and a Bentley doesn't ride as smooth...

I will agree with him on one point, and that is that the interior of the G35 is not for everyone. When compared to the interior of the G35, I prefer the interior of the TSX as well. Other than that, the G35 is way faster, handles & brakes better and is just as comfortable if not more. It was designed to be a true luxuary sports sedan/coupe. Go drive one yourself and you will see the dramatic difference. Now the question is "do you need that extra performance?" And that is for each of us to answer individually... I know I don't.
Old 01-12-2004 | 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
Remember the source. Larch is the biggest TSX fan on earth, so nothing will ever compare. A Lexus isn't as reliable, a Ferrari's handling isn't as tight and a Bentley doesn't ride as smooth...

I will agree with him on one point, and that is that the interior of the G35 is not for everyone. When compared to the interior of the G35, I prefer the interior of the TSX as well. Other than that, the G35 is way faster, handles & brakes better and is just as comfortable if not more. It was designed to be a true luxuary sports sedan/coupe. Go drive one yourself and you will see the dramatic difference. Now the question is "do you need that extra performance?" And that is for each of us to answer individually... I know I don't.
werd...i dont really see how he can even attempt to say the G35 handling is not nearly as good as the TL... i've driven both and all the mags have said the TL handles a few levels below the RWD competition and the brakes on the G35 are signifigantly better than the brembo equipped TL (around 30ft+ or so difference from 70-0 to a few mags)...also the G35 doesnt have torque steer or plow into turns
Old 01-12-2004 | 09:09 PM
More On

Originally posted by gilboman
werd...i dont really see how he can even attempt to say the G35 handling is not nearly as good as the TL... i've driven both and all the mags have said the TL handles a few levels below the RWD competition.....
Oh, I see.

Hmmm, OK, lemme pick a magazine at random. Like maybe the current issue of Consumer Reports, which has a survey of the upscale sedans:

Consumer Reports Reviews the TL

The Acura TL......scored well enough in our tests not only to top this month's group, but to edge out the BMW 330i as the best upscale sedan that we've tested.....Most of the top models in the upscale-sedan category use rear-wheel drive, which typically helps a car's handling and steering. While the front-wheel-drive TL didn't quite match the BMW 330i in at-the-limit handling performance.....it delivers taut, agile handling and the quickest acceleration and best fuel efficiency of this group......It provided the best handling in this group.......It proved secure in our avoidance maneuver, where it posted the fastest speed of the group....The TL is noticeably quicker than the other cars here. Even with such high horsepower, the car was largely devoid of torque steer.

Would you care to take that back, Gilbo pal?

(edit) Hey Gilbo, I just noticed something else:
Where tf did I (or anybody) say the G35's handling isn't "nearly" as good as the TL's?
Nowhere, that's where. What I said was "not quite equal." Very different, right?
Old 01-13-2004 | 12:05 AM
Burning Brakes

werd
werd, LMAO
this coming from the guy who never says anything positive about acura on this board.
Old 01-13-2004 | 12:25 AM
Pro

Oh, I see.

Hmmm, OK, lemme pick a magazine at random. Like maybe the current issue of Consumer Reports, which has a survey of the upscale sedans:

"Consumer Reports Reviews the TL

The Acura TL......scored well enough in our tests not only to top this month's group, but to edge out the BMW 330i as the best upscale sedan that we've tested.....Most of the top models in the upscale-sedan category use rear-wheel drive, which typically helps a car's handling and steering. While the front-wheel-drive TL didn't quite match the BMW 330i in at-the-limit handling performance.....it delivers taut, agile handling and the quickest acceleration and best fuel efficiency of this group......It provided the best handling in this group.......It proved secure in our avoidance maneuver, where it posted the fastest speed of the group....The TL is noticeably quicker than the other cars here. Even with such high horsepower, the car was largely devoid of torque steer."

Would you care to take that back, Gilbo pal?
Let me fill in some of the "blanks" for those that don't do any follow-up on these types of arguements. Yes, the TL did win this category, but the article did not compare the TL head-to-head with the BMW 330i or a few other major players in this class. This comparison was only between the TL, Volvo S60, Saab 9-5 and Lexus ES330. The author came right out and said, "While the front-wheel-drive TL didn’t quite match the BMW 330i in at-the-limit handling performance, its agility and power make it invigorating to drive." I think the key words were DIDN'T QUITE MATCH. What he is saying is that it isn't the "benchmark", but it is good enough. The rest of the statements referred to best of the "group", fastest of the "group", tops in the "group" and by GROUP, they meant the 4-car group that was being tested, not every car in the category. I am not denying that the TL won this class, it is by far the best package once you factor in value & reliability (assume). However, this car is not nearly as fun to drive as a few others in this group and I know some of you out there will be honest enough to admit it.

Consumer Reports also went on to say, "Are upscale sedans worth the extra money? Not always. As an overall package, our highest-rated V6 family sedans, such as the Volkswagen Passat, Toyota Camry, and Honda Accord, scored higher in our tests than most of the vehicles in this category, and they cost about $3,000 to $9,000 less.". So how did these non-sport, non-luxuary cars beat out all of these hot shot luxuary-sport sedans? Because Consumer Reports puts just as much emphasis on value and gas milage as they do on performance and handling. So, the average everyday "boring 3" (Passat, Accord & Camry) are going to beat out the TL, 330i & G35 every time, year after year. The G35 was Motor Trends CAR OF THE YEAR for 2003, yet Consumer Reports ranked it 12th behind the Lincoln LS, Cadallac CTS & Maxima? Everyone here was so proud of the fact that the TSX made the "10 Best" and yet you forget that the TL did not.

I think I am going to stick to those people that test cars and only cars for a living and leave these multi-tasking toaster testers alone.
Old 01-13-2004 | 12:27 AM
More On

Oh -- forgot to say anything about engine noise.

The G35 has significantly more engine noise than either the TSX or the TL. Not bad -- but significantly more.
Old 01-13-2004 | 12:36 AM
More On

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
.....Yes, the TL did win this category, but the article did not compare the TL head-to-head with the BMW 330i or a few other major players in this class. This comparison was only between the TL, Volvo S60, Saab 9-5 and Lexus ES330......
That's right, Buff, and the rest of what you say makes sense too.

But you're taking your eye off the ball, which I'm sure you never did on the ballfield.

I was just responding to Gilbo, who had said:

"...all the mags have said the TL handles a few levels below the RWD competition."

All I was doing was pointing out that this was FOS, which it was. If you doubt it, take another look at the CR write-up. A close look.
And IMO his assertion is inconsistent with a lot of other reviews too.
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:33 AM
Pro

That's right, Buff, and the rest of what you say makes sense too.

But you're taking your eye off the ball, which I'm sure you never did on the ballfield.

I was just responding to Gilbo, who had said:

"...all the mags have said the TL handles a few levels below the RWD competition."

All I was doing was pointing out that this was FOS, which it was. If you doubt it, take another look at the CR write-up. A close look.
And IMO his assertion is inconsistent with a lot of other reviews too.
I know larch, and what you wrote was honest and fair. I was just making sure that everyone knew what that article was all about. The TL is an awesome car, so is the TSX, but I have seen a lot of mis-information grow and exaggerate on this board, so I thought I would just get some of that info out there. I say congrats to the TL for pushing the competition to the next level. Hopefully BMW will respond with the next generation 3-Series next year and not let Bangle "F" it up!
Old 01-13-2004 | 11:50 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I don't ever recall seeing B-D and Gilbo in the same thread agreeing with eachother. Kinda scary...........

B-D I agree with that post, but I don't agree with Gilbo's view that RWD platforms are light years ahead of the FWD competition. The article did say "at the limit" and thats the only place your going to notice a difference.

Funny that B-D and Gilbo both went for the AWD BMW's and not the RWD versions. I know the respective climates factored in to those decesions.
Old 01-13-2004 | 12:34 PM
Instructor

I'm an Infiniti owner, so you'd think my bias would tend toward the G35. However, I think both cars have their own merits. The G35 has more power and is more a performance oriented car than the TSX/TL. Winter wise the AWD G35x will beat the Acuras any day. Interior quality is about the same. My personal choice in a few years would be neither but rather the larger, unloved Infiniti M45 with a 340hp V8. Resale values are going to suck and I'll pick one up cheap.
Old 01-13-2004 | 12:53 PM
Pro

Originally posted by domn
Funny that B-D and Gilbo both went for the AWD BMW's and not the RWD versions. I know the respective climates factored in to those decesions.
I as you can see, I have never owned a RWD vehicle, probably never will unless it has a system like the G35 does now. Minnesota and RWD should not be used in the same sentance.
Old 01-13-2004 | 08:08 PM
Race Director

My dad just bought the G35-X all wheel drive sedan and I got to drive it, it is really fast and has that noise from the exhaust like it wants to be driven fast. I love the exterior of the car except for the rearend, but if I wasn't living in a non-snow climate I would've bought the G35 coupe instead of Tsx, but I love my Tsx. I still think the interior of the Tsx is nicer than the G35.
Old 01-14-2004 | 07:28 AM
Cruisin'

What I would like to know is what rental car company rents out G35s?? That's quite a cut above the usual crap I'm stuck with when I travel.
Old 01-14-2004 | 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Moosecat
What I would like to know is what rental car company rents out G35s?? That's quite a cut above the usual crap I'm stuck with when I travel.
you just have to ask for it, Hertz rents Jags, Volvos and i've rented a few lexus' from them as well.
Old 01-14-2004 | 07:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by domn
I don't ever recall seeing B-D and Gilbo in the same thread agreeing with eachother. Kinda scary...........

B-D I agree with that post, but I don't agree with Gilbo's view that RWD platforms are light years ahead of the FWD competition. The article did say "at the limit" and thats the only place your going to notice a difference.

don't tempt me with the RWD BMW's i'm always thinking about trading in the XI for a 330CI, i've driven RWD 3 series in snow lots of times, with snow tires, it felt a lot better than my mom's ES with all seasons... i drove it a few days ago when the snow hit and it was scary, i wasnt expecting FWD with all seasons to feel that insecure
Old 01-14-2004 | 07:55 AM
Cruisin'

you just have to ask for it, Hertz rents Jags, Volvos and i've rented a few lexus' from them as well.
I know that Hertz rents those -- but I have not heard of a company renting a G35... Was it Hertz in this case? I would be much more likely to spring for the extra rental cost of a G35 than for a Jag or a Volvo.
Old 01-14-2004 | 01:05 PM
More On

Yes, it was Hertz. And like Gilbo said, you have to ask for it..... but it's not that simple. Sometimes they have them available, sometimes they don't. I always start out asking just for a "mid-size," and then, depending on what they give me and if I have the time and inclination to see what else they might have, I check it out.

Like Moosecat, I was surprised to see that they sometimes have Infinitis, didn't know that before. I had inquired about this kind of upgrade many times and had never been offered an Infiniti before.

Of course, these cars cost more. In this case, it cost a lot more. I actually misunderstood how much extra it was going to cost -- if I had gotten it right, I'm not sure I would have taken it, but as it turned out I don't regret it. When the guy was telling me about the extra cost, it was like, he shrugged like it's nothing and said, "It's about an extra $35," and the way he said it I just assumed he meant total. Well, actually it was per day, and actually it was about $40 extra per day, and then of course all those "miscellaneous charges" got added onto this extra cost as well as onto the original cost ..... so it wound up being about $45 a day extra. Ouch! If I had read the contract, I would have seen that, but I never do; I go by what they tell me. First time I was ever so taken by surprise with what the actual cost turned out to be. But I couldn't be mad about it, and I don't regret it. In earlier days, when I had to be watching the $$ more, I would have been majorly pissed, but in this case, it was like, "It was overpriced but it was worth it."