I'm a current A4 owner...help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004 | 08:49 AM
1st Gear

I'm a current A4 owner...help.

This is my first post here, so forgive me if I sound a little naive when it comes to the TSX.

I'm a current owner of a 2001 A4, (1.8 turbo, quattro...etc), and my lease is up in a little over a month. I've been toying with whether or not I should get rid of the car or keep it. I like it, but as with most Audi products, there are issues. I used to own a '95 Integra GSR and was very happy with it. Anyway, I've noticed the TSX on the road and liked it. What I want from you guys is to hear your thoughts on your car and if any of you happen to be previous Audi owners, what you thought of the transition?

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2004 | 08:57 AM
Race Director

If you do a search of the site most of the mentions of Audi is less than flattering. It's mostly when it relates to reliability vs. an Acura. The ride is probably quite similar while the TSX is a bit bigger.
You will not go wrong moving to a TSX.
Welcome to the site.
Old 06-16-2004 | 09:21 AM
Racer

Welcome!

You will not have any regrets transitioning from an Audi to the TSX. The interior is almost as good if not on par with Audi, the driving dynamics are better (except without the obvious advantages of quattro), the 6-speed's shift feel is one of the best you'll find on a sports sedan, and you don't have to deal with the maintainance headaches. I still have my Audi and for the last year now, it does a lot of sitting around in the garage. I now have 14K miles in my TSX and have not been to the dealer once for any unscheduled visit... every time I drive is pure joy. The TSX was only meant to be a temporary transitional car but 1 year of ownership has convinced me to keep it longer.

Like biker said, do a search, there has been several threads comparing the TSX to its german counterparts.
Old 06-16-2004 | 02:13 PM
Pro

When a guy with an S4 says he prefers to drive his TSX, that is just about the highest praise a $27k car can get.
Old 06-16-2004 | 05:06 PM
Intermediate

Old 06-16-2004 | 06:33 PM
04 remembrance

In my opinion, you shouldn't keep the lease. Keeping the lease is exactly like purchasing the car twice, which never feels right.

If anything, you should finance an Audi (if you're completely satisfied with the Audi), or just get a TSX. (Duh)

I know this post wasn't much help, but try the search button. We've discussed the positive/negative aspects of the TSX and covered almost EVERY aspect about the TSX.
Old 06-16-2004 | 09:44 PM
Cruisin'

I had a 2001 A4 1.8 quattro and now I have a TSX. Until I got the TSX, the A4 was my favorite car that I had owned (I've had a Saab 9-5, 325i, Eclipse Turbo, Mustang GT and a few others). The TSX just feels right. The seats are some of the best that I've sat in (the Saab is a close second and the 325 were horrible). Ergonomically, the car is great. I have the navigation system which is very easy to use and a worthwhile option. In comparing the 2 cars, the TSX is quicker (but not much - the other cars I've had were much faster). The TSX is roomier and the stereo is better (the Saab Harmon Kardon stereo is still the best I've heard in a car), but neither car is special in this department. As far as reliability, I had no problems with the A4 and the TSX is fine so far (some minor rattles, but with the warm weather they seem to have gone away). Service on the A4 was better than the TSX, but this depends on the dealer.

Hope this helps...
Old 06-17-2004 | 09:19 AM
Drifting

If your Audi was stock then you'll be happy with the TSX.

If it was chipped you will be giving up something.

I had an A4 but am enjoying my TLS much more in some ways.
Old 06-17-2004 | 11:40 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iamhomin
In my opinion, you shouldn't keep the lease. Keeping the lease is exactly like purchasing the car twice, which never feels right.
This is strictly a numbers game. Very often you come out better doing this than you would have just buying the car up front -- it all depends on the rates and residuals, but this happens as often as not.

If the car was a dud, get something else. If it's been a gem and you aren't having car fever, then buying it may be an OK choice, too.