I used to hate the TSX...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:23 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to hate the TSX...

WARNING: WALL OF TEXT

So it's finally been a year since I bought my TSX and just thought I share the love for my very first car with everyone. Now I know many people made such topics like this before so I'll try to get new points instead of just repeating what most of you have been repeating since forever.

First off, I would just like to thank this forum and its friendly members here for giving me a sea of knowledge to soak up. I've learned so much here that I would've NEVER realized/figured out on my own. This forum made it safe for me to mod my TSX and made me aware of plenty of problems and other things to avoid with the TSX. Thank you all!

Origin

I originally drove my mom's 2003 camry SE (4 cylinder) whenever it's free. hehehe... I thought it was fast. The only other car I drove was my dad's pathfinder and I hated driving SUVs. The Camry did what it intended to do for me... provide a soft ride, going point A to B... absolutely no passion at all. Needed a new car for convenience...

When I was searching for a car last year, the TSX NEVER crossed my mind... I was looking for the RSX and any 2002 Honda Accord Coupe V6 in perfect condition that I could find. What's with me being 18 and all, I thought I should just grab a beater and fix it up. Well, my parents doesn't believe in used cars of any sort whatsoever so I was denied of the RSX. I also can't buy a coupe due to insurance reasons and "coupe" translates into "race car" in Chinese... and my dad knows that I would mod the hell out of it since he is also aware of ricers. I don't know how or why but this is when i started to look at the TSX...

First Impression

When I first saw the TSX on the road (2003/2004), I was very confused... I saw the back and it looked like the RSX but the front is TL. I didn't know better back then and hated the TSX for being a "TL Knockoff" or a "Poor man's TL" since they both look the same only the TL is more powerful.

Fast forward to last year... I'm researching reluctantly into the TSX and hahaha I stumbled upon Acurazine. I found out that the TSX is loaded with gadgets and has 200+ HP coming out of a four banger. I was impressed... I was even surprised to find out that EVERYONE/EVERYTHING was praising it for its handling (this was something I made a TOP PRIORITY in a car to contrast with the Camry). Long story short, Test drove it... loved it... then I was all over Oregon looking for a great deal on one

Ownership Period

First great thing I noticed about my TSX... it gets more attention from my friends than I do. All i've ever received are compliments and how awesome my car is EVERY TIME. I especially like the comment "That's a cute car" from one of my friends; Deep down, I think the TSX is cute looking on the front due to its "big grin" bumper. At some angle, the TSX just looks oh so jolly! It's a great looking car; I can look wealthy without actually being wealthy.

Steering is heavy... damn, the steering is heavy... compared to the Camry. I could steer and turn the Camry's steering wheel with my pinky (absolutely no resistance) but the TSX's steering wheel actually requires intentional force to move it around. I didn't like it at first but found out how GREAT it actually is to have steering feel. Over time and probably through muscle memory, the steering felt lighter. Everyone who drove my TSX will always mention the heavy steering... then they go into the "WOW! it's so responsive!/so smooth!". I love the handling! Even when the car was stock, going through twisties and corners was no different than going straight (almost). I could go at 40-50 mph through the same bends where I couldn't even do 30 mph with the Camry. That's a really big improvement.

Power... This car is obidient... it has enough to crawl when I wanted to..but it can also take off when I demand of it. I LOVE how easy the engine revvs. The TSX actually have a personality unlike the Camry. I can shoot across the whole RPM range effortlessly where the Camry can hardly get pass 3k. Although sometimes I wish I have the 6MT for the sole of more power, I think the 5AT is great for me. Even though I drive only in SS mode now, I do get lazy sometimes so it's nice to go into auto now and then. Best compliment about my car's power was from my manager... She was very pleasantly surprised at how fast the TSX reached 40 mph "so effortlessly!". This is coming from someone who's been driving an oldsmobile intrigue her whole life. I, for one, wasn't too concerned about power. If it didn't matter much for me, it didn't matter to my passengers so no complaints here.

I love the blue gauge cluster. That was a selling point. I love how it starts at six o'clock. It's stylish and sporty. MID is also VERY useful and awesome. It impresses everyone. I'm still not tired of it and still like to look at it when I'm inside my car.

Rear seating is great... I don't see how some people called the TSX "crammed" in the rear. I am 5'10" and I can sit behind the driver's seat very comfortably. I also drove 5 adults of various size a few times before and they didn't complain.

The AC rocks! It takes no more than 1 minute to chill the cabin! The Camry on the other hand... takes about 15-20 minutes.

IT'S MADE IN JAPAN!!!

The Complaints

The turning radius... It's wider than a bus. What the hell?! (I know the reason why...but still...)

The weight... it weighs more than the Camry by some 200 lbs but it is also a smaller car

five gears... sometimes I wished there was a sixth gear...

No track duration on the CD player

Performance Mods- I initially didn't worry much about the HP because it came with a lot for a Honda and I thought since it is a Honda, there would be a huge selection where I can put an extra 50-60 HP into the car anyway. I was wrong on this part... though there are a lot of parts to increase HP, there's some sort of hindrance on the TSX that wouldn't allow such mods to be put on (hello DBW).

End

I enjoyed every moment of my car every time I get to drive it. That's all.

I want to type more but I scrolled up and I see a very huge wall of text and I'm very sleepy from the heat... so I'll stop here.

Thank you very much for reading if you did!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Professional Newbie

Glad you gave the car a chance. I also had no intentions of getting the TSX when I first set out to buy a car. It was between an STI, 325, and TL for a couple months, then I finally drove the TSX and fell in love with it. With gas prices the way they are today I don't think I could've picked a better car.

Oh, and it does have a 6th gear....you did get the 6MT, right?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:53 AM
gets all the crazy chicks

Although sometimes I wish I have the 6MT for the sole of more power...

Guess not.

I hated my 6spd TSX at first, didn't like the clutch/shift feel compared to my '99 Civic..my Civic was stolen exactly two weeks after I got the TSX though (wtf), so I quickly grew accustomed to the feel and love it. Still miss the Civic though, even stock it could carve through the corners..
Old 05-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Racer

Anyone else here who feels so sentimental towards their TSX that they'll keep it for as long as they can?

I know I will. This being my first car and all. I'll try to keep it even when I buy a new car like five years from now. If 1989 Honda Accords are still running around today then so will my TSX 20 years from now!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:44 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, the 1st Gen's AC is colder than witches twat!
Old 05-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Zyuan10
Anyone else here who feels so sentimental towards their TSX that they'll keep it for as long as they can?

I know I will. This being my first car and all. I'll try to keep it even when I buy a new car like five years from now. If 1989 Honda Accords are still running around today then so will my TSX 20 years from now!
I plan on keeping mine for a long time, if I buy a new "fun" car in a few years I still plan on keeping the TSX as a daily driver. Its got all I can ask for, its decently quick, handles great, its got a classy interior and exterior, an amazing 6 speed, and great gas mileage
Old 05-18-2008, 11:05 AM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
what part of oregon you in? I can relate on the turning radius.. my other car has a better turning radious.. for the weight.. I originally weighed with practically full tank of gas (23 miles on the tank) at 3375 without me in it, I recently weighed it with stuff i removed and it came in at 3300.. i find losing weight is hard but i can say the hood and the trunk will be next on my list for weight reduction.. and for the 6th gear auto we really dont need it in oregon since everyone around here drives like a grandma... What year of TSX did you end up with?
Old 05-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Racer

Cruising around Portland with my 07
Old 05-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Intermediate

I think the tsx was out before the tl.. so technically the tl copied the front end no?
Old 05-18-2008, 05:10 PM
A Passionate Performer

I just purchased my '08 TSX a month ago and with all the research I did in buying a new vehicle, taking all the important things into consideration (value, quality, MPG), I can truly say that the TSX is one of the BEST cars on the road today. It basically came down to the TSX and the Lexus Is250. I test drove the Lexus, and although it drove great, it just didn't have the same sporty feel of the TSX. Plus, when I researched how expensive the Lexus would have been in the long run (maintenance etc), I knew I had to go with the Acura.

I couldn't be happier with my car. It's the best car I've ever purchased! I got the Carbon Grey Pearl (Classy!). It's the perfect blend of luxury and sportiness. And... I agree, the backseat has plenty of room! I'm not sure if you have tried to get into the backseat of a Lexus Is250, but its a total joke.

Yup, the Acura TSX was the winner... hands down!
Old 05-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

why would you want a 6th? the 5th on the the tsx tranny is too long in my opinion and it lugs.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Burning Brakes