I need to make up my mind on this rattle issue...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to make up my mind on this rattle issue...

Hey guys:

Okay long time reader and occasional contributor to the board. I have gotten many questions answered and have even gotten over the plood to finally decide that the PWP/Parchmont TSX is absolutely the right car for me. I have test driven 10 cars out there (the TSX 4 times) and I know it is the car for me...

However, the rattles thing worries me. Its not like the plood where you are not crazy about some design feature. Rather, if you have rattles that is a big vote of no confidence in the car as you drive daily.

Here's the thing: I accept the fact that no car is perfect and a car will have rattles here and there. Heck, I have driven American cars all my life and didn't mind the gaps between the panels and the occasional rattle. However, what my American cars did not have is the kind of rattles that I have read about on this board: the rattles on the TSX seem to stem from a design flaw and is pretty much continuous with some periods of quiet. Also, it seems a significant proportion of TSXs have this problem (in my mind 5% would be very significant).

I cannot pull the trigger on the TSX b/c the rattles are more than simple quirks or the very occasional rattle or clink...

Help me out here - I realize that any problem gets magnified here on the boards...but please be honest and tell me if you have rattles.

Is it a matter of luck getting a TSX with no rattles (which I may be able to accept) OR are rattles a systemic problem on the TSX (big no no for me). I'm disappointed b/c I feel like it is the latter...
Old 02-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
37,000 + km's on my

TSX 6 spd and no rattles. Had a noise sometimes raising drivers window up or down very periodic over 3 weeks and fixed on 32,000 km service.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:56 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've had my car for about 3 1/2 weeks now...1100 miles, no rattles. i was worried about this issue as well. but so far *knock on wood* i haven't heard any rattles.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:06 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm at 10,000 miles and only rattles were speaker (fixed), and moonroof (fixed). i get coin rattles due to quarters in the not-an-ashtray box and altoids rattles in the cd holder.

besides that my car has no major malfunctions
Old 02-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Registered Abuser

2004 Carbon Grey TSX, Quartz, no Navi, 6MT. #23767.

No rattles. None. Nada. Zip.

Oh, wait, my coffee cup was rattling this morning in the cupholder but I picked it up and took a sip, and then the rattle went away.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by mg7726
i'm at 10,000 miles and only rattles were speaker (fixed), and moonroof (fixed). i get coin rattles due to quarters in the not-an-ashtray box and altoids rattles in the cd holder.

besides that my car has no major malfunctions
Altoids rattles! LOL!!! I've had that one too...
Old 02-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Intermediate

when i got my tsx there was a rattle that came from the a-pillar... i took my car in for the trunk harness recall and had them fix the rattle problem too... shes been totally silent since then.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Professional SLACKER

Rattles here... dealer cnnot figure out where it came from. After a while I just give up on them and learn to live with the rattle. Besides I always turn on my radio. TSX rattles is my friend.

I would consider rattle a minor price to pay for this TSX. Great value, lots of amneties, nice and sporty exterior, and elegent interior. I wouldn't mind the rattle at all. And I also have bunch of coins that rattles in the the car.... My
Old 02-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Instructor

I have a few rattles myself. 5000 miles and there's rattles from the two front doors(probably speakers), steering wheel clicking, and two front seatbelts clicking above the ear area. Pretty annoying, but I'll get it looked at when I have time. It's not a major problem to me, just an annoyance. But, I'm confident that it will be fixed when I take her in.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:16 AM
Intermediate

No rattles here. I have about 6,000 miles and it is eerily silent if I don't have the radio on. I wonder if the rattle issue was more prevalent in the earlier models and have since been "engineered" out?

Oh, and by the way, the color combination you are thinking of was my second choice originally. I ended up with it as there were no Meteor Silver models available. I have never been happier that I took that as my choice.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I upgraded my speakers and my rattles went away. Sound is much improved also!
Old 02-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
No more rattles here, or pretty un perceivable ones if any. I had one noisy rattle in the trunk area, and the dealership fixed it, and it seems like it's holding up well.

I'd like to point out that there are many persistent complaints about rattles in Infinity G-cars, as well as FX-trucks, etc. I have a friend with a brand new Passat who has a few pretty harsh rattles. I drove a Jaguar S-Type last year with rattles, and shifting seats as well.

I'm starting to think that it's a common point among luxury and near-luxury cars.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:08 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now that sauce mentioned other cars rattling, fyi - my friend and i test drove the A6 from Jack Daniels Audi in NJ, and it had a dash rattle.

and that car's way more $$$ then the TSX.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:26 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i have some sounds that are hardly noticable. I describe them to my girlfriend as rice crispies. she says she can't hear them though. after having the car since late 2003 i still dont see anything else on the road in this cars price range that I would rather have.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
All my rattles are fixed for now....
Old 02-02-2005, 09:15 AM
ric
Safety Car

I had rattle-free performances until the weather turned cold, then the car acquired a strange rattle near the front right windshield. However, after I glared at it a few times, it seems to have gone away. No other rattles................
Old 02-02-2005, 10:07 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ric
I had rattle-free performances until the weather turned cold, then the car acquired a strange rattle near the front right windshield. However, after I glared at it a few times, it seems to have gone away. No other rattles................
Almost 2k mi here. Exact same thing happened as mine....annoyed me for a couple days...it rained a few days after rattling started, weather warmed up a bit as well, and now now more rattle.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:29 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Rattles here
Old 02-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by mrbutthead
Almost 2k mi here. Exact same thing happened as mine....annoyed me for a couple days...it rained a few days after rattling started, weather warmed up a bit as well, and now now more rattle.
I have that one too. Very persistent (and annoying) when cold and dry. Really annoying on a long trip. As I've said elsewhere, I've never had a problem like this with any car. So far dealer hasn't solved it, but I'm going to ask them to try the latest solution posted in the FAQ area.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Cruisin'

This sucks...

It seems that the number of responses with rattles confirms my suspicions...what can I say I am very dissappointed. I agree completely that (at least to me) the TSX is the best value out there and I don't really see any other car that measures up to it in terms of value, styling, sportiness...EXCEPT the stupid rattles.

Is the rattle problem magnified here on the board? I mean, what about all the other board members? What about all other TSX owners? Do they have no rattles? Or, are the members here more attentive to detail (very likely true) than the "average" TSX driver who does not frequent this site?

I have to say that some responses have a tone of resignation regarding the rattles...

BTW, in my test drives - no rattles.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:15 PM
10th Gear

Rattles

I've had rattles when the weather first turned cold...and dealer fixed windshield seem on passenger side. So far a small rattle has returned....and mysteriously went away. Oh well!

Not a super big issue...but nonetheless can be annoying at times.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nightdriver
It seems that the number of responses with rattles confirms my suspicions...what can I say I am very dissappointed. I agree completely that (at least to me) the TSX is the best value out there and I don't really see any other car that measures up to it in terms of value, styling, sportiness...EXCEPT the stupid rattles.

Is the rattle problem magnified here on the board? I mean, what about all the other board members? What about all other TSX owners? Do they have no rattles? Or, are the members here more attentive to detail (very likely true) than the "average" TSX driver who does not frequent this site?

I have to say that some responses have a tone of resignation regarding the rattles...

BTW, in my test drives - no rattles.
People typically don't post when everything is going ok. It would get boring in a hurry if every day we had to read posts from our 8000 members saying "everything is still good".

I think nearly all the rattles have fixes now. The windshield/dashboard rattle is close to having a permanent fix and many people, including myself, have succeeded in fixing it.

It's crazy to not buy this car just because some people on a forum that talk about cars all day long have had a couple rattles. It would be more interesting to see how many people that have had rattles regret purchasing the TSX. It'll be a small small number for sure. The other positive aspects far exceed the negatives.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Photography Nerd

Here are a few posts from forums for competitors to the TSX:
Legacy GT
Just picked up my '05 LGT (5M) wagon two days ago... it's great.

There is, however, an annoying "metal on metal" type rattle coming from the shifter area (below the boot) when you hit 3000 RPM. Has anyone experienced this on their car?

Thanks in advance.
Alright, this thing is really bugging me. There is something rattling under the driver side footwell area, above the clutch. It sounds like hard plastic and it ends up sounding like a vibrating cell phone on a desk around the 3-5k rpm area. I tried locating the problem, but at 6'3" I am no contortionist. Has anyone seen this and know what I can do about it.

I was thinking about a small piece of dynamat or a wire tie, I just cant figure out where its comming from.
Am I the only one?

The carpets have crappy edges under the seats... it's certainly not the biggest deal...

The a pillar trim wasn't snapped all the way in.

ALL the adjustable body panels need adjusting... hood bumper and ALL doors.

The dealer prep SUCKED too... my windshield was dirty on the inside like someone had been smoking for months in there.

And the biggest pet peeve of mine with the car is EVERY time I wash it soapy water seeps into the window seals... almost all of them... not so much that it penetrates into the cabin... but enough so it doesn't rinse off cuz it's trapped behind the glass.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE the car... but I think the boys in Indiana might be drinking on the line or something...

Oh and mine was delivered with a bad sensor... I noticed the lumpy idle first thing when I sat in the car... The service guy kept looking at me funny when I told him it had a lumpy idle... there were a bunch of other small strange things too...

The CD player randomly comes on when I'm listening to the radio... It stopped happening after I brought it into service... but they didn't do anything... I'm guessing it was somthing with the insert trigger for the cd tray that self-corrected.

Valves seem loud to me... and not just in warmup like they say.

And I've gotten some WEIRD clunks when driving too... over bumps around corners... pulling into parking spots...

AND the idle does all sorts of weird things... When it's warming up and I drive in 1st or second a little then put in the clutch the idle sticks at 2k or so (way above normal warmup idle) but if I take the shifter lever OUT of gear the idle drops instantly...

The idle also bumps up or hangs high when I'm pulling into spots with the clutch in but drops if I pull it out of gear.

Also there are TONS of rattles... at first there were none... then the pass door window track seems loose over bumps, and now at the dash where it meets the windshield...

Again... Love the car but this is a LOT of stuff to be wrong with a brand new car... it's not a chevy but I expect more from japanese manufacturers... having been a honda owner.

BMW 325i
Hmm yea I have a similar rattle and a creak that I will ask the dealer about tomorrow when I go for a service. The rattle is right in the corner of the window frame/b pillar, almost sounds like the window is rattling (which it's not). It's not dry door seals either, not sure what it is

As for the creak, it's right under the hanger handle between the b & c pillar (on both sides of the car), it's been there since day 1, mostly making a noise when it's cold, when I press on the area I can replicate it, hopefully I can do so for the service writer

Surely others must have the same issues...
Annoyed at the build quality
So allow me to vent for a while...

Cleaning the car, the hatch area to be precise. Do you know those square covering caps (p/n 51 47 8 401 899) that are hiding some screws on that wide plastic hatch opening? Oh well, they keep on braking like crazy. The small tabs that keep them in place just break. This is the 4th time (different caps) already. I will stop paying for those bastards. This is why I have a warranty.
Also my glovebox started rattling. Really annoying.
Rear left caliper is partially seized (squeaking noise while driving plus cloud of smoke a few weeks ago after getting the car stopped - I was just cruising not any hard running).
BMW emblem on the steering wheel airbag cover is chipping away.
Airbox cover does not clip in place properly.

So it looks like the probem free year I had is gone. And this time I have a big list. Off to the dealer next week.

Volvo S40
Rattle at tailgate when just got the car, but fixed by dealer after a couple of visits.

Driver window rattle, it is still being looked into by the dealer.
When my engine is cold and I gently accelerate there is a noticeable whining sound. However, it fades away after the initial acceleration and once the engine is warm the whining goes away from stand still starts.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks
Sorry to be of no help, but I have it too, some others have it, and it's called the Ghostly Moan.

Nobody's come up with a sound explaination... some air pump explainations have come close to plausibility.

Mercedes C230
I know a lot of these problems have been mentioned in different posts and I have been following them closely. I've had my car for about 3.5 months now and I'm getting a little irritated with all the minor quirks.

- HK stereo blasting with static
- In-dash single CD player had a regular disc (not burned) stuck
- stereo not working at all (currently)
- rear lights leaking water
- seat belt height adjuster virbrating
- trunk release button vibrating with the stereo

The funny thing is that I always make an appointment, and when I bring the car in, there is no problem to be found. For example, the stereo will start working again on the day I have to bring it in for service. I still have to have them look at the seat belt and the trunk release. Also, the condensation in the rear lights was a one time thing. It's odd how these things happen only once and then dissapear.. and then re-appear a few weeks later.

So my question is, should I still take my car in and have them document it? Each time I go, the guy says I don't need to leave the car because there is no problem. Although I'm being told by my friends that I should still have them look at it so it's documented on their side that these problems are ongoing. Hopefully these little bugs will fade away because I'm almost ready to trade it in for another Japanese car.
I have HK and recently started hearing a buzz/ rattle from both my front speakers. Anyone else? Know of a fix? Anyone take it in for service?
Anyone have problems with the C230 passenger side door ratttling? I have a small, but persistent, rattle coming from somewhere between the glove compartment and the door. Have had the car into the dealer twice with no success.

If anyone has had this problem or has any insights I'd appreciate feedback. Scheduled to take the car in for a test drive with the shop foreman in two days. Thanks.

SAAB 9-3
700 miles on my linear
so far this is what ive found:
- rattle under the seat (j-clip not connected to seat)
- itch on door pad where the leather touches the plastic (possibly coming unattached)
- squeak when closing driver door coming from hinge or rubber boot covering wire harness.
- rattle pass side dash (haven't investigated yet)
1500 miles on an '04 Aero. So far it's been MUCH more trouble than our '03 Linear which has been nearly flawless save for two stalls early on which never returned. Right now I am not too pleased with the Aero.

> Squeaky dash due to climate unit not being seated properly. Dealer 'fixed' it but the climate unit still comes out and I have to push it back in. Granted, it only pops out by a half centimeter or so but for a car of this price I expect pieces in the dash to stay where they are supposed to.

> Nearly impossible to shift into 1st or 2nd when the engine is cold (and especially when it's cold outside). This makes driving very unpleasurable as you feel as if you are tearing up the gears.

> Rattles in the headliner and doors were minimal and I was pleasantly surprised when my dealer fixed them without me asking. I only complained about the rattle in the dash since it was the only really annoying one. Our '03 has NO rattles.

> Tire pressure monitor keeps going off. My left front tire is NOT LOW even though it repeatedly tells me it is in all types of weather.

> Poor build quality of the trunk. The right light cluster does not line up (where the trunk lights meet the body lights). It is off by about 1/2 an inch but again for a car of this price you would expect more. I am used to seeing $13,000 Cavaliers with this problem and not Saabs. But this is my fault as I didn't inspect the car closely enough upon delivery. It's really not a major problem and I can't really bring myself to complain about it to the dealer.

> ONLY TWO HOOKS in the trunk for cargo nets. STUPID SAAB.

Those are my problems. Really minimal in the big scheme of things but after flawless '01s, an '02 9-5 and an '03 9-3 I expected much more. The shifting thing is the biggest problem as it really makes driving not so much fun.

I hope that gives you some idea of what the competition is like with respect to rattles.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
cmf
ATCer

My car is 13 months old, 10K miles, altered suspension (makes a difference I think :dunno), still no rattles. (knock on wood)

I think some poeple over do shit and make it a bigger deal than it really is. I think some people here make themsleves hear rattles after reading others comments.
There are probably very few cars out there that are gonna have rattles that are excessive. I think that goes along with the "my car was built late Friday" theory.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:27 PM
Cruisin'

The only advice a happy camper can give at 55 000 Km is...go for it!

Like everyone says above, no car is perfect. I just find that, for the price, the TSX is the most enjoyable car around.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by cmf
My car is 13 months old, 10K miles, altered suspension (makes a difference I think :dunno), still no rattles. (knock on wood)

I think some poeple over do shit and make it a bigger deal than it really is. I think some people here make themsleves hear rattles after reading others comments.
There are probably very few cars out there that are gonna have rattles that are excessive. I think that goes along with the "my car was built late Friday" theory.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Cruisin'

So...

Some of you have rattles, some minor, some not so minor...some are hearing things that may not be there.........

Guess I'll have to take a chance. I live in LA so maybe the cold weather rattles won't be so much of a factor?

BTW, is silver a color that fades over time?
Old 02-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by cmf

I consider myself a fairly normal car owner. I am not that anal about my car (dispite what my wife thinks). However, when I had the windshield creak, I did find myself questioning whether I purchased the right vehicle. The noise was more annoying that any other I had experienced. Now that its fixed, I am completely satisfied with my purchase.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Photography Nerd

For anyone who speed reads like me, it's a dangerous thing to use the words "anal" and "wife" in the same sentence.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
For anyone who speed reads like me, it's a dangerous thing to use the words "anal" and "wife" in the same sentence.
Guttermind...
Old 02-04-2005, 05:06 PM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by wsklar
Guttermind...

Cheetos lover!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:04 AM
TSX-Black Bolt

My car is 12 months old, 35K miles...get ready for a tsaumi of NOSIE, CrAeKs..SkwEeKs.

Headliner near front dome sunroof..pillers, some weird sounds coming from the back..
PoPs, RatLLes and roLLS..dash..whats that!! another sound from there NOW!!

I give up!
Keep going to the dealer..feel like I ive there..wheres the chlauk
Old 02-12-2005, 12:58 AM
The extra b is for byobb

I had really bad rattles for awhile (probably as bad as anyone out there) but once I hit about 18k miles they were gone. Its been almost 10k miles since then and I havent heard it once. So even if you get the unlucky 1/50 odds, it won't last forever. Also, it's been almost 2 years since I bought my tsx so I doubt they will be rolling off the line with rattles like i had.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:06 AM
G2 TSX

Just went over 2000 miles and only occassional rattle I hear is from the moonroof. But really, are you going to sit there and drive the car everyday to listen for rattles. I'm usually listening to a CD or XM at a volume that sounds great and I don't hear any rattles. This is more of an issue of wanting to find fault instead of enjoying the car as a whole.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:06 AM
G2 TSX

Just went over 2000 miles and only occassional rattle I hear is from the moonroof. But really, are you going to sit there and drive the car everyday to listen for rattles? I'm usually listening to a CD or XM at a volume that sounds great and I don't hear any rattles. This is more of an issue of wanting to find fault instead of enjoying the car as a whole.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Racer

You're never going to find car that is rattle free. Cars are built with such high rigidity and sealed so tightly against noise, that over certain types of rough pavement, something has to give.

My TSX has had a couple of door rattles, but the dealer was able to fix them. My 2004 Volvo V70 also has had a few rattles that the dealer was able to fix.

I also drive a M-B S420 for work an guess what? It has a couple of rattles.

I test drove the BMW 325i, Infiniti G35, Mazda 6s, LexusIS300, etc. and all had some detectable ratles over certain textured pavement on I-5 that I use as "torture test."

So, take the rattle complaints with a grain of salt. Some people are VERY sensitive to the most barely detectable squeak, and will sound off here about it.

Why not just test-drive the car before you buy it?
Old 02-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Master in Science

I've had most types of rattles listed in this forum. Right now, the only active one is inside the right passenger door -- something is loose in there: either because of the Alpine speaker install, or the door control buttons might be vibrating. I'ts raining, so I'm not opening the door until later.

The other day I noticed a vibration from the left portion of the dashboard. It went away the same day, but it drove me nuts

And my engine has been keeping a very high idle after I start it. It used to be less than 500 RPM; now it's over 1000. I'll bring it up at the 30k service in a couple of months (have 26,600 today).

I was hoping the car would last until 100,000; but I might get something else at 50,000 if the car continues to develop new nuances.

Besides the rattles, the car is rock solid and I love it.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:53 PM
TSXREEFER

No Probs here, 05 MT with 2,500 miles

Subject says it all. No squeeks, no rattles and had not burned a drop of oil. Just checked and the oil is right up on the mark. I agree with the comments about this board making you look for problems that do not exhist. The other day I went over some railroad tracks and my radar detector bounced in its bracket and made some noise...... and you know what the first thing that went through my mind was OH NO Squeeks. and then I thought, that DAmn Board as me on pins!

I am getting 28.5 mPG. My drive is a combo of 20% city and 80% Highway. I have made one 200 mile hiway only trip and got 30 MPG and I drive fast and love to accellerate through the gears (MT).

The TSX is more fun to drivethan any car I have had in my life and I have had some nice ones to include 6 A-6s and one 535IS. I can't wait to go to work every morning just for the drive. My wife thinks I have lost it.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by phirenze
I had really bad rattles for awhile (probably as bad as anyone out there) but once I hit about 18k miles they were gone. Its been almost 10k miles since then and I havent heard it once. So even if you get the unlucky 1/50 odds, it won't last forever. Also, it's been almost 2 years since I bought my tsx so I doubt they will be rolling off the line with rattles like i had.
This is my experience so far-last winter I had to bring mine in once to fix the rattle, but even though it's been cold here this winter, I have noticed no rattles so far.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:10 PM
G36
Instructor

Ours started with less than 800 mi. Now with just over 1200, it keeps getting louder much more often.

Funny how so many are so willing to accept this. No car let alone a $30K car should rattle, period. Must be the age difference thing.

Guess I need to let them rip out the dash of a brand new car that doesn't even have it's plates yet, and see what happens.

If they can't fix it and has to keep going in to figure out how to fix and if it takes more than 3 trys, I WILL go after Lemon Law!

I have RonJon wheels, 18" with Michelin Piolets A/S. Maybe get ready for a sale here Low miles, garaged with car cover. CG/Ebony, Auto Navi

Quick Reply: I need to make up my mind on this rattle issue...