How do I reset the Maintenance Light? EDIT: Actually, a question about search limits

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking How do I reset the Maintenance Light? EDIT: Actually, a question about search limits

JUST KIDDING! HAHA!

But seriously - I can see a really good reason why people don't use the search function:

Sorry! The administrator has specified that you can only do one search every 60 seconds.
^^ That is really irritating when your first search doesn't turn up the results you want and then you try to correct it and get that stupid message. And then you wait what you think is a minute and try again and get that STUPID MESSAGE AGAIN! And by the time you finally get to do your second search, you've forgotten what you were searching for or why.

So guys, if you're going to berate the for not searching, at least give them a fighting chance of doing the research!

I'm sure this thread will likely be shut down, but I just wanted to make that point.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure it's done to limit the load on the server....but I agree, it's very annoying when doing searches, especially if you mess up your search criterias or if you specify terms that are too short...
Old 02-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Overlord

Reducing it to 15 seconds would suffice.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Keep in mind, this site is provided free of charge. We have a limited amount of bandwidth. The way people usually search, if we didn't limit it, we'd exceed our available bandwidth and overtax our servers in a matter of hours. So, if you would like to pay for the use of this site, perhaps we can make other arrangements.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Everyone should give noobs a few free searches to get them up to speed. Don't just post a :search:.

We had to restrict the number of searches to 1/min/per user because it was killing our speed. We're running on some serious hardware already, so mostly these delays are related to the shitty vBulletin software.

There are plans to improve searching, but we've got to make some changes to the backend first. Acurazine has tons of data stored and it will take a long long time for an index of 3 letter words to be formed. I think soopa calculated it would be nearly 3 days of CPU time for the OT section and at least a couple days each for TSX/CL/TL.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Photography Nerd

Just in case anyone is wondering what it takes to power this place, we've got two quad-xeon boxes with 8GB each. 8 CPUs and 16GB of ram total and it would still take days to compile the database to allow 3 letter searches. That should give you an idea of how much data we're handling here.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Everyone should give noobs a few free searches to get them up to speed. Don't just post a :search:.

We had to restrict the number of searches to 1/min/per user because it was killing our speed. We're running on some serious hardware already, so mostly these delays are related to the shitty vBulletin software.

There are plans to improve searching, but we've got to make some changes to the backend first. Acurazine has tons of data stored and it will take a long long time for an index of 3 letter words to be formed. I think soopa calculated it would be nearly 3 days of CPU time for the OT section and at least a couple days each for TSX/CL/TL.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bottom line here guys (those of you who are only users and have a simplistic "turn-key" attitude about computers, cars, life, etc....) is that the people who put up this site and maintain it do it because they love to do it and in return feel better because of it. They spend their own time & money creating an environment that we all can enjoy and benefit from. Aside from the obvious "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" comments, we all should be very grateful and give them a long overdue "Thanks for everything you've done, etc."

PS - If you don't understand what I'm trying to say here than CONGRATULATIONS!!! You've just qualified for the Greedy, Selfish, Egocentric, Me First Award. Unfortunately you're not the only winner.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:28 AM
ABP TSX

Current Search > lazy n00bz

Free AZINE board > lazy n00bz

Paid AZINE board > lazy n00bz

Old 02-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Are there ways to contribute to the site and get recognition, kind of like a "supporting ($) member" tag under your name or something?

I'd like to contribute but feel that this kind of recognition will ensure that many more people contribute as well.

I, for one, can't even calculate how much money this site has saved me (garage diagnosis/labour rates, parts specials, free/inexpensive mods, etc... it REALLY adds up to a lot of savings).
Old 02-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by curls
Are there ways to contribute to the site and get recognition, kind of like a "supporting ($) member" tag under your name or something?

I'd like to contribute but feel that this kind of recognition will ensure that many more people contribute as well.

I, for one, can't even calculate how much money this site has saved me (garage diagnosis/labour rates, parts specials, free/inexpensive mods, etc... it REALLY adds up to a lot of savings).
That's cool, but we've never been interested in being a pay site. If you want to, you can pick up some AZ gear (vinyl stickers will be available soon): https://acurazine.com/gear/

soopa's away for a few weeks, so you probably want to hold off on the order until he gets back. He may be able to ship, but you should send a PM before ordering just in case.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Photography Nerd

The best thing people can do if they want to help our site is to buy your mods through our official vendors whenever possible. They keep this site running, and usually their prices are pretty good too. If they were a couple bucks higher than the competition, then maybe you could consider that a donation to the site.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:17 AM

That's cool, but we've never been interested in being a pay site. If you want to, you can pick up some AZ gear (vinyl stickers will be available soon): https://acurazine.com/gear/

soopa's away for a few weeks, so you probably want to hold off on the order until he gets back. He may be able to ship, but you should send a PM before ordering just in case.
I was thinking of doing that, although not actually applying the stickers for fear of increased HP and and possibility of snapping an axle.

I like your idea about supporting the official vendors, though.

I'd be interested in hearing what the rough breakdown of revenues is (ie: vendors, ads, merchandise, etc...)... just for shits and giggles. LOL.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by curls
I'd be interested in hearing what the rough breakdown of revenues is (ie: vendors, ads, merchandise, etc...)... just for shits and giggles. LOL.
Uh, .

The site is self-supporting, but soopa definitely isn't in this for the money. He even said if it was losing money he'd keep it going because he's crazy.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:36 AM

Knew that was coming.

Seems that every forum owner I know is like Snoopa - a crazy mofo.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:36 AM
TSX

up up down down left right left right B A start
Old 02-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Canuck

Another reason why you have to wait is to stop peole from post whoring which in turn then causes strain and $$$ for the bandwith used.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Just dial 1911

Just in case anyone is wondering what it takes to power this place, we've got two quad-xeon boxes with 8GB each. 8 CPUs and 16GB of ram total and it would still take days to compile the database to allow 3 letter searches. That should give you an idea of how much data we're handling here.
Time for a Cray