How did you end up buying your TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007 | 09:45 PM
4th Gear

How did you end up buying your TSX

Before I bought my 2006 TSX, I was driving a 1997 Mazda Mellenia. Millenia is a nice car and it got me thru my college years. But with time, Millenia started to have problems (Millenia parts are way expensive) and I was about to graduate. So I decided to make myself an early graduation present.

I owned Acura in the past (1999 RL), and I knew it was a reliable brand. However, I wanted to see what else is on the market, and I didnt feel like driving large automobile like RL again, not yet atleast.

I narrowed down my choices to: 2006 Infinity G35, 2006 Lexus IS 250, 2006 BMW 3-series Coupe, 2006 Acura TSX. When I compared the prices and options accordingly, the most rastional and obvious choice was Acura TSX. You wont get the same options for such a great value from Lexus or BMW, Infinity could come closer, but not good enough. IS 250 is about 6-7 grand apart from TSX, and it doesnt have all the options that TSX does, and I'm not even talking about 350. 3-series has about the same gap, closer to 10 grand, pricewise. Now, IS, G35 and 3-series are great cars, no doubt about that, but I felt like I would pay way more for the brand, not for what I would get.

So, here I am, driving my 2006 Acura TSX, completely enoying it.
Old 12-11-2007 | 10:40 PM
Team Owner

Congrats, next time, no pictures = does not belong in Photograph Gallery.

https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-1/

TSX Discussion Area.

Congrats on your 2006 TSX.
Old 12-11-2007 | 10:44 PM
4th Gear

Oh my bad, can some1 move this to a General forums?
Old 12-11-2007 | 10:56 PM
Instructor

Congrats on the new TSX! But heres my story. I had sold my 97 B16 swapped civic hatch due to a expensive speeding ticket in which I got lucky cause I was going so fast I could have gone to jail. It was a super fun hatch that I miss sometimes, but it was just always a target by police. So I had no car for over a month and I was thinking about what car I should get. It came down to buying a fully type-arggghhhhh kitted from the factory rsx type-s. I put my 10 g's down and was waiting and waiting and waiting for the car to get here from Japan. So after waiting for 2 weeks more than the last date they told me it would arrive which in part is about a month after they promised it would arrive the first time. I was planning to break off the deal. I started looking at an evo 9, but then the Acura dealer had a NBP 6speed navi 06 TSX and it made me think. So even though I was thinking of evo power at my grasp, but with it reminding me of my civic on the inside of the evo I opted for the TSeXor...So thats my long-winded tale...lol
Old 12-11-2007 | 11:33 PM
Race Director

Easy, best entry level luxury car for the money, good on gas, made in Japan, it's an Accord really, and this is currently my 3rd Accord, but probably my last Honda/Acura.
Old 12-11-2007 | 11:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Yeremuk
Oh my bad, can some1 move this to a General forums?
post some pics and problem solved. congrats on your TSX..u gana love it its an awesome car
Old 12-12-2007 | 12:13 AM
4th Gear

Pics are on the way, getting digital camera this weekend
Old 12-12-2007 | 02:29 AM
Finding my TL-S

my tsx story

Went to the Acura dealership in my city (San Antonio) with my friend from Dallas who has a TL. We went to see the 06 TL since he has an 05..ended up seeing the TSX, took it for a test drive, bought it a week later. good decision since i was thinking the tC was my car of choice..thank god we went to Acura..
Old 12-12-2007 | 03:44 AM
Is waiting in

My Fairy Tale

I've wanted this car since I read it was finally making its debut it North America in early 2003. My mother and I accompanied my aunt and cousin to a local used car dealership that buys auto parts from us and has good relations with my aunt's brother because he buys out all his cars cash from them. We were there to help my cousin pick out a car, because he was so anxious to get a one. They also wanted me to see if there was anything I liked and I asked for a TSX and they swore I meant RSX. They tried to sell me an '04 Maxima, '01 I35, '00 Q45. Test drove an '02 C230 Kompressor, which I kind of liked and started pricing out mods (LED Tails, Projector headlights, Reiger kit). Then I told them I really didn't want it (who refuses MB?) and they knew I still wanted a TSX. So the owner of the used car lot went to the auctions and got me an '04 SSM/EB 5AT, with about 48k miles, but he wanted $23,500. I test drove it, fell in love, but no way am I buying it at that price with that mileage, when I can get a brand new 2006 for $5k more with more features and 0 miles.

My brother and I also checked out a 2006 Altima SE-R 6MT at the Nissan dealership, but the interior was bland to me and plus we were not receiving any help because we were in street clothes. Went to the Acura of Brooklyn dealership with my brother to check out my true love, this time dressed formal and my brother had his briefcase (just got out of work) and we were punced on by this hot blonde. When I told her I wanted an Alpine Navi, six-speed PWP with Ebony interior (finally an option in 2006 for the US!), she was confused by my lingo and got the manager to help me instead. He realized we meant business when I schooled him with all the features of all the cars in the showroom, but he wanted my mother to come co-sign. Which in turn he talked her out of the navi (what a salesman), she talked him out of the six speed (what a mother) and gave him a $500 deposit. So then the next day I withdrew a $14k bank check, with only about $6k in savings left (for mods), made it out to the dealership. We got the the special financing promo @ 3.9% APR and I drove off two days before my 21st birthday, OTD @ $28,400 happily ever after.

* but now i miss my original combo
Old 12-12-2007 | 06:05 AM
Time to Climb

i got employee pricing because my pop sold acuras in tampa. so, i was shopping a tl, tsx, and lexus is 300 & infiniti g (because he could get the hook up there as well). i ultimately ended up with the tsx because of the four bangers gas mileage
Old 12-12-2007 | 07:25 AM
Living the Dream

Was about to graduate with my Master's degree, just started a great job and decided it was time to reward myself.
Test drove the TSX, A4 2.0T and IS250 (all 2006). TSX and A4 were manual and IS250 was the "automated manual". Was told that the 6-spd IS250 was a special order item (bullshit) so that one was crossed off my list right away.
The A4 (I was also considering the A3) was a close second to the TSX. But Audi's "history" drove me to the TSX.

Sold my super-awesome 2000 Grand Am SE and bought the 2006 CGP TSX in March '06. 28k miles later I'm still loving it

EDIT
OP, just saw that you're from Charlotte. Good to see another local on here
Old 12-12-2007 | 07:32 AM
Senior Moderator

I was driving my parents' cars while they lived in Belgium for 4 years (they wanted to keep them so they didn't have to buy new cars when they came back). The time for their return was nearing, so I started looking for a car of my own. Somehow I happened upon a picture of the TSX (probably on Edmunds.com), fell in love immediately. Test drove a few other cars and decided the TSX was the one. Searched around for a few months for a CPO, finally found a dealer that gave me the price I wanted. Picked her up in May 2005 & haven't looked back.
Old 12-12-2007 | 07:38 AM
Team Owner

Thread moved...

I first saw the TSX back in 2003 not long after my Integra suffered a rather destructive moment with the side of a mountain. I test drove at least a dozen or more cars before I tested the TSX. As soon as I drove it, I knew it was the car I wanted. Started working out the deals with the various dealerships in the LA area trying to nail someone down for a great deal. Finally got the terms I wanted from a dealership my family had purchased a number of Acuras from and I finally took possession of the car on May 5th, 2003 with exactly 3 miles on the ODO.

At the time, my parents insisted on me getting an automatic because they wanted it to be available as a third car in case one of theirs was in the shop. Since they were covering my insurance at the time, I wasn't going to complain too much.

However, after moving out to the DC, in 2005, I started looking for cars again, wanting to switch to driving manual again. Looked at another dozen cars before going back to the TSX. Nothing else in the price I was looking to spend came even close in terms of the comforts, driving experience, and practicality I was seeking. So, I now have my second TSX.

If Acura does the next one right, I may pick up a next gen TSX as my third.
Old 12-12-2007 | 09:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yeremuk
When I compared the prices and options accordingly, the most rational and obvious choice was Acura TSX.

Exactly my thoughts. When compared with a Lexus or BMW of similar class with the same options, the TSX came in ~$10k cheaper. The one thing that caught me off guard was leasing about three months earlier than I had planned, but they had a CGP demo on the lot that I couldn't resist!
Old 12-12-2007 | 09:18 AM
where is my garage?!

after getting married, the wife and i needed a car. we wanted some nice, but not something that would break the bank. it needed to be reliable and four-door for a family in the future.

after looking at the v6 versions of the camry and accords, and trying the g35 sedan, we decided the TSX seemed to be the car that offered the best all-around package w/ all the features we wanted.

after doing some price checks, i was going to go to acura of westchester based on a friends recommendation. but we decided to go to paragon acura to get a quote and test drive. it turned out we bought it there only b/c the sales guy was a noob and basically f-ed up the whole process making us wait, being unable to let us test drive the right car, etc...we used all the mistakes as leverage to slash the price down pretty close to invoice (before tax). but i wouldn't recommend going to paragon to anyone. the service there sucks. ironic, b/c the sales guy said something like 'when you buy an acura, you're buying the luxury brand and great service.'

jokes on me!
Old 12-12-2007 | 10:48 AM
Intermediate

I was looking at buying an the new altima coupe v6. I test drove it and liked it but the dealer wasn't going to budge on the sticker. He gave some shit about how this car was new and hot, blah, blah, blah....so whatever I'm not paying sticker, I left.

Then I was leaving the gym and they have those used car books. I saw an IS250 on the cover and looked through the book and saw how cheap the TSX was. I looked online for some pricing for the TSX and IS but the IS was at least 3k more. I went and test drove the TSX. As soon as I test drove it, I realized how cheap the altima felt and wanted this car.

I ended up getting my 07/at, 11K miles, for 24,000. It wasn't a super bargain price but I have never been as happy about a car.
Old 12-12-2007 | 11:17 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cmschmie
...Test drove the TSX, A4 2.0T and IS250 (all 2006). TSX and A4 were manual and IS250 was the "automated manual". Was told that the 6-spd IS250 was a special order item (bullshit) so that one was crossed off my list right away.
The A4 (I was also considering the A3) was a close second to the TSX. But Audi's "history" drove me to the TSX...
Sounds similar to what I looked at, except I never drove the IS250 -- the lack of available MT was a deal-breaker.

A 6-speed may or may not truly be a special order item in the IS250, but dealers are always willing to trade cars, and the Lexus salesman called me to let me know there wasn't one anywhere on a dealer lot within 3 states, so that pretty much did it.

I found the A4 too heavy, and the engine note and tone of the 2.0T to not really be in keeping with a luxury car. I prevously owned a Jetta 1.8T, which I really liked but it wrecked with frame damage, so I had to let it go.

I thought I would really miss the turbo, and I did for a little while until I realized that the TSX performs very comparably if you just keep the RPM about 500 RPM higher than I did in the 1.8T. Also, the 1.8T was a 5-speed, and it would go when you punched the gas at highway speeds. Pull in 6th gear in the TSX is OK from 65 mph or so on up, but somewhat anemic below that.
Old 12-12-2007 | 11:32 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Had a 39 month lease on a 2001 IS300 brand new 0 miles. After the lease was
up 30000 miles later, I went to the dealer to trade in and get another one in charcoal. The sharks at the dealer want to hit me with another down and same
deal or worse, so I tied to negotiate on used a g35 coupe (that went nowhere).
Finally the salesman told me if I wanted a cheap car I'd have to go to toyota across
the street. I told the salesman to shove my car up his ass and left. They hit me with a 390.00 dollar fee for worn tires and I said F@#k lexus!

So I stayed without a car for two months and saved for a down. I shopped around
for a G35, TL, RX-8 and a TSX.

I drive a TSX end of story..
Old 12-12-2007 | 12:13 PM
Safety Car

I saw a forum member, Black_6spd, on memorial day 2005, and he told me Acura had good financing, 3.9% i believe. He bought a TSX that weekend as well.

The background story though is that I had been test driving the TSX about 3 months before that, going to a couple of dealerships and seeing if I could get a good deal. The financing though, finally pushed me over the edge.
Old 12-12-2007 | 12:52 PM
Advanced

um... wanted to test drive a tsx for the heck of it.
was looking for a 6sp with navi. they didnt hve one in over 3 months so i checked out an auto. traded in a 05 tC which they gave 15k for and drove out with a 07 CGP auto with navi for 29k. but now im really missing a manual trans.....
Old 12-12-2007 | 01:36 PM
Racer

I have a bit of an interesting story. Bought an 04 TL the Christmas of 03. Had it until January of this year, lease was up in June. The dealer sent me a letter to come in and get into something new so they could add to pre-owned inventory. I fell for it and leased an 07 RDX. After changing jobs in March where I was driving a ton more miles, I decided in August to get a TSX. I traded in the lease for a $750 loss and got an 07 TSX with navi. I really wish I'd have kept the TL, but it's too late now. Getting out of the TL at the time was a good decision since it was hit in the rear by a driver without insurance and I saved the $500 deductible. Anyway, that's my story.

Joe
Old 12-12-2007 | 01:53 PM
08 MDX with Sports

Back in summer of 2004, I wanted a Benz c240 sports then I test drove the TSX and was like OMG~wooo~la-la.. I'm sold!
Old 12-12-2007 | 02:39 PM
Intermediate

In June my wife and I were expecting our first child. She didn't want a minivan. We went to look at accords but she wanted a 4cyl, manual with leather and none of the dealerships had that option.

Acura dealer had a NBP manual down the street and we test drove it. Never thought of an Acura bc we thought it would be out of our price range. But they gave us a good deal since it was their only manual on the lot and the previous sale for it fell thru. Called Honda back and said sorry....

Stephen
Old 12-12-2007 | 02:49 PM
Drifting

I had '97 lightly modded D16 Civic. It had ~130,000 miles and transmission was starting to be louder than the motor. I was tired of working on a car without a garage.

Looked at the IS250, too much money for what it was. Tried to look at some Nissans and was avoided like the plague. Very loudly proclaimed that they could suck my ass and left. Drove the Legacy GT and really, really liked it. In the end, the TSX was more comfortable and had a more attractive interior. I would have loved the turbo boxer and AWD but they suck a lot of gas (my friend averages around 20 MPG in his).

I wanted a used 6 speed with a parchment interior. I had to wait 3 months for one to come in but I wasn't in a huge hurry. It was supposed to be sold to another guy but after the second day of not showing up, the dealer called me and I put $10k down that afternoon. Picked up my Milano Red, Parchment interior '04 TSX with 49k miles for $21k otd. They put on new front rotors, new pads all around, new tires and new clutch and flywheel (?!?) as part of the certified pre-owned program. The car is essentially flawless and I've been 100% satisfied thus far (almost 6 months now).
Old 12-12-2007 | 03:35 PM
Drifting

After grad school and starting my career, I wanted to reward myself with a new ride. I went from a '88 4-runner with 235,000 miles to a (at the time) new '04 6MT. 80K miles later, it still makes me smile! 3.9% financing helps too.
Old 12-12-2007 | 04:44 PM
Racer

I had a Legend that I kept for 10 years that i traded and Leased an 08 TSX. My first New car.
Old 12-12-2007 | 05:36 PM
Instructor

I wanted cheap car with BlueTooth and good resale.
Old 12-13-2007 | 07:13 AM
Safety Car

I had an '04 - #369 - traded it in '06 for an RL. When wifes '04 RSX-S lease was up she decided she wanted another TSX but could not find color & combo she wanted so we ordered it. '08 TSX 6MT Milano Red/Parchment with Nav
Old 12-13-2007 | 09:09 AM
Detail Cars in Philly in

My dad didnt want me to get a car, he wanted a truck or suv to be safe. but when he saw the safty features, all the airbags, and just being an acura, he gave in. we went to a dealer about an hour aways with my cash in my hands for the down payment and it was sold 2 hours before i got there. 2 weeks later my pops went to florida for "business" and came back to philly with my car! what a good guy.. cause i was getting it used and i wanted the 6mt and the spoiler in abp. so he found it down there online and they paid for him to travel down to get it. how sweet is that. came home one day and there it was...i'm paying for it but he took care of all the ish for me. greatest day ever loved it since
Old 12-13-2007 | 09:26 AM
talk about mudflaps....

When I finished school, I got a 97 Civic Coupe DX, which was perfect for me at the time. After 9 years, 264 000 kms (165 000 miles), 1 deer, two fenders, a driver side door, 1 front bumper, 5 pairs of headlights (Eurolites suck), 1 exhaust manifold and cat, 1 O2 sensor, 3 resonator heatshields, 2 sets of all season tires, and 3 sets of winter tires, she finally succumbed to the mysterious electrical gremlins that caused a failed alternator and battery.

At the time (2006), there were no other 4-door sedans that could match the TSX. Didn't consider the Germans, since reliability is a priority. There was really no other manual 4-door out there in the price range that would match.
Old 12-13-2007 | 09:52 AM
Living the Dream

I can't believe the number of people that wanted a manual, but "all they had were autos and now I'm regretting the decision"

I got lucky, I went to dealership and they had the exact car I wanted.
Old 12-13-2007 | 10:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cmschmie
I can't believe the number of people that wanted a manual, but "all they had were autos and now I'm regretting the decision"

I got lucky, I went to dealership and they had the exact car I wanted.
I never understood why anyone would spend nearly $30k and not get exactly what they want. It's not exactly an inconsequential amount of money.
Old 12-13-2007 | 11:02 AM
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I never understood why anyone would spend nearly $30k and not get exactly what they want. It's not exactly an inconsequential amount of money.

Same people probably wouldn't budge on what brand of jeans they'll wear
Old 12-13-2007 | 11:46 AM
Team Owner

I had owned a 91 Integra since November of 1990. It served me well but, after 13 years I knew I wanted something a little newer and nicer. I first saw the TSX at the 2003 LA Auto Show. I thought to myself, "now there's nice looking sedan". It wasn't available to sit in, only up on a turntable. Now, fast forward to late 2003 and I receive a one-time cash payout for some overtime work that I had done. Combine that with looking to replace the Integra and I start looking at and test driving the TSX among others. Once I test drove the TSX the deal was sealed. It took me a little time to find the dealer that gave me the price I wanted but I managed to get the exact TSX I wanted and at my price. In 6 days it will be my TSX's 4th birthday.
Old 12-13-2007 | 12:09 PM
Advanced

My bug came at the '03 Philly Auto Show-think it's in January. Was in the market and leaning toward the usual Accord and less usual Subie and Passat choices. The TSX had just landed on the floor and was able to slip in when I got that upmarket jolt (by comparison) and Euro feel from a Jap source that I loved. (Interiors are a priority for me and I'm a sucker for an exquisite one). It was so new on the convention floor that when I'd circled back sometime later for another look-see they'd locked it up. But it remained my second choice (to the GT Legacy wagon) all the way til Oct 04 when I came to my senses and pulled the trigger. Once in a while you do something right.
Old 12-13-2007 | 01:05 PM
Boost Junky

Originally Posted by goon54
um... wanted to test drive a tsx for the heck of it.
was looking for a 6sp with navi. they didnt hve one in over 3 months so i checked out an auto. traded in a 05 tC which they gave 15k for and drove out with a 07 CGP auto with navi for 29k. but now im really missing a manual trans.....
Thats dam good for a trade in on an 05 manual tC
My story was I had a 2006 supercharged tC all done up and totalled it with only 11k miles on it. Looked at the IS250 w/ awd(out of price range), C 320(same thing-out of price range equally equipped not to mention RWD) G 35 AWD and ended up with the TSX cause it was the best car for the money and wasnt RWD which was a big factor for me here in NY. All of my friends that have a benz, bimmer, Infinity etc are stranded with their cars in the snow here on Long Island...my TSX isnt the best in the snow but it is FWD at least....stock michelin pilots FTL
Old 12-13-2007 | 01:14 PM
Advanced

Talking

I use to drive a 2001 Nissan Sentra. I had lots of fun in this car, well minus the recalls. After graduating from college I decided that it was time that I get another car. I looked around and I too was stuck on getting an Infiniti G35; granted it would have been a used one, '06. I was also looking at the new Maxima's and the BMW 3 series. But after doing my homework and also the advice and opinions from members on this site, I chose the TSX ('08 Carbon Grey, Ebony interior with navi. Oh yea it's an auto). I love my car, and I'm glad that I got it. Just in time too: a week after I purchased it, I found out that I'm going to be a dad.
Old 12-13-2007 | 01:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Split797
I found out that I'm going to be a dad.
Congratulations!
Old 12-13-2007 | 06:28 PM
Instructor

We both had been looking for cars for a couple years-- my guy got his first as he needed it more (the WRX-- which is currently at the body shop and HOPEFULLY we can get it fixed after a tree fell on it after the ice storm the other day as we don't like the new ones!). My car was 17 years old, but low miles, so we tried to keep a "top few" list of cars for me until we got the WRX paid off (~ 2 years) or mine died and we had to find one fast.

I actually liked the turbo Jetta at that point with it's nice speed and handling, then VW went and blew it up to a fat blobby thing. We had the RSX as my possible top at that point, then they killed it... (we were getting nervous at this point as everything I liked seemed to disappear :P). There's nothing in the US market I'm willing to get, and I don't like big cars, so my choices were getting limited. I was still trying to not spend too much, and was looking at a Mazda-3 or a Civic (neither car being much fun, but practical). My guy was in Des Moines for work, so he scouted out a TSX and an A3. We were out there a month later, and I took them both out. In discussions, the Mazda-3, though a nice car, wasn't a *great* car, and we figured if we were going to potentially spend $21k for the Mazda, we'd get a LOT more car for just $4-5k more, so the TSX jumped to the top. (The A3 was a BLAST, but the interior & seats are pathetic for that price, our WRX is nicer). So we went back a month or so later, drove it one more time, sat in it a bit, and I made the sales guy an offer.

Very glad I got it over anything else. We keep our cars a long time, so it should be a good choice. I also learned to drive from my dad, so I tend to be a bit... well... quick. So I have a car that lets me go quickly and nimbly if I want, but that I can control myself in mostly and not start getting tickets.
Old 12-13-2007 | 07:52 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

My story was an easy one. My company made me an offer to move me down from Canada that I couldn't refuse, plus I get a new adventure as I've never lived on the eastern side of N.A ever... So I started looking for a new vehicle to buy, comparing all different types (Mazda MX6, MX3, Nissan Altima, Camry...)... then I came upon the TSX and lo and behold, the pricing difference between Canadian dealer and US dealer was huge! Plus a friend of mine bought a 2005 CGP TSX and she let me test drive it back in 2004 brand new and so I had an inkling on what it was about.

My company flew me down here in TN, let me check out the place first and so I started looking for an Acura dealership to go to from a hotel. Found that the closest one was in Huntsville ALABAMA, called them up, asked for a quote... the salesman dropped the ball on this one and never emailed me the quote. I called him 2x on this. Got fed up. On my last day of checking out TN, I drove to Gary Force in Brentwood (close to Nashville and was sort of on my way to the airport).... asked for a test drive... and the rest was history.

Quick Reply: How did you end up buying your TSX