How to clean throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to clean throttle body

My car is at 35k and I've noticed the throttle body can use some cleaning. Has anyone tried? Products, tips? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be VERY careful if you're doing it yourself. There are a myriad of sensors in there and many cleaners out there will do nothing but mess them up. It should be done professionally with specially formulated chemicals. You should just ask a shop if they do induction system cleaning, as that will clean your whole intake system, including the throttle body.

BTW, why should your TB need cleaning at 35K miles? Do you not use a good filter? Are you driving on dirt country roads the whole time?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

303 Aerospace do an engine bay cleaner - spray on, let sit for a while to dissolve the grease and whatnot, then power hose off, then dry.
Been thinking about getting some myself and trying it.
I presume you're talking about the external appearance and not internally?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PJS
303 Aerospace do an engine bay cleaner - spray on, let sit for a while to dissolve the grease and whatnot, then power hose off, then dry.
Been thinking about getting some myself and trying it.
I presume you're talking about the external appearance and not internally?

I think he means the inside. And if so I agree with the above note of caution. Be VERY cautious about even letting a shop do the job. You can really FU the sensors, etc. and end up with all sorts of problems.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Car Nut

At 35K miles, it seems off that the TB would be very dirty... just sounds like something else would have to be wrong to cause this...

I agree with the above that you have to be very careful with this...
Old 05-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There isn't any sensor inside the TB bore but there is the MAP sensor on the intake manifold. If you really want to clean the inside, remove the intake tube but leave the IAT sensor connected. Then turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. Ask someone to step on the gas pedal so the drive motor will open up the throttle plate. Apply carb cleaner on a rag and wipe the gunk off the throttle plate and bore. Then lightly spray the carb cleaner on the throttle plate shaft and bore to finish it off. Start the engine to burn off the carb cleaner.

Btw, do not try to remove the black paint on the edge of the throttle plate and where it meets the bore. Otherwise, you might end up with poor idle rpm.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:38 AM
Advanced

Something like SeaFoam Deep Creep would work well, but I don't see why you would need to clean your TB at 35K. I just cleaned out my GSR's TB when swapping the intake manifold... it wasn't that dirty and has 90K.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JTso
There isn't any sensor inside the TB bore but there is the MAP sensor on the intake manifold. If you really want to clean the inside, remove the intake tube but leave the IAT sensor connected. Then turn on the ignition but don't start the engine. Ask someone to step on the gas pedal so the drive motor will open up the throttle plate. Apply carb cleaner on a rag and wipe the gunk off the throttle plate and bore. Then lightly spray the carb cleaner on the throttle plate shaft and bore to finish it off. Start the engine to burn off the carb cleaner.

Btw, do not try to remove the black paint on the edge of the throttle plate and where it meets the bore. Otherwise, you might end up with poor idle rpm.
not knowing much about the dbw, would it damage the tb if he just used his hands to push open the butterfly valve?

I know in my civic I would just pull the throttle cable and clean it with a towel and carb cleaner.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gftgrill
not knowing much about the dbw, would it damage the tb if he just used his hands to push open the butterfly valve?

I know in my civic I would just pull the throttle cable and clean it with a towel and carb cleaner.
The drive motor uses a small metal gear to drive a plastic idle gear, then the plastic gear drives a large cam gear to move the throttle plate. The large cam gear is attached to two heavy return springs. You could potentially push open the throttle plate by hand but it will be hard to keep the plate open while trying to clean it, as there is no other external means such as a throttle cable to hold it open.

Here are a couple of pics to show the TB internal mechanical.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:52 AM
dP-
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coincidentally, this week on MotorWeek Pat Goss, the resident mechanic, talked about this in the Goss' Garage Section. He specifically mentioned to not use carb cleaner on the TB since it may remove protective coatings within the TB. He advised professional cleaning using specialized chemicals.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2635.shtml
Old 05-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Senior Moderator

The only coating is on the bottom of the throttle plate. This is the coating shouldn't be removed.