Hey CJams - Window Film ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:46 AM
'05 TSX CG W/NAV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey CJams - Window Film ?

Hey Cjams. I noticed in another thread that you install window film for a living. I know this has probably been covered here, but I’d like your advice. I have an ’05 TSX with NAV and need to have film installed. Do you anticipate issues with the NAV if I have a metal based film installed? I have no issues going with a dye based film if necessary, but would prefer metallic if at all possible. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Polar Chicken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a carbon based tint and it works great. If you do a search I think the basic premise is that metal tint can cause problems.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would get ceramic tint, but it's more expensive which sucks.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep! Metal films cause some minor issues. It doesn't just affect Navi, it also affects AM and FM radio signals if the antenna is in the rear window. AM more than FM. Metal films give you greater heat rejection and other protection, but the loss of reception is the downside. What you can do is use the metalic film on the sides/doors and get a dyed film that matches best for the rear window. Since you can't see both the sides and the rear directly at the same time from any angle you can get away with it.

Make sure to tell your tint guy that you have nav and your radio antenna is in the rear window. The last thing he's gonna want to do is have to replace you tint because it's messing up your signal.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Just dial 1911

I got the Ceramacool tint...No navi problems at all...
Old 02-16-2006, 04:13 PM
'05 TSX CG W/NAV

Thanks CJams. I actually used to be the IT manager for a film manufacturer and have been doing some consulting work for them since I left. Was talking to the manager of one of the distributors while we were comparing film on the car and he was aware of the problems, but I wanted to run it by someone with an identical car. the guy who will be installing it is very good and will just be installing what I give him. Thanks again!
Old 02-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Guinea Pig

YW!! Don't forget to show us pics when it's done!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:05 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CJams,
I have a tint some questions for you. How much of a difference would a ~10% difference in Solar Energy Rejected really make when it comes to tint? The tint shop I wanted to use just switched from Sungard PerformX (a dye+metallic tint) to Sungard Shawdow (dye only) tint. The PerformX that they just phased out was a 35% tint that rejected 39.1% (see http://www.filmtechnologies.com/docu...ormX_Slate.pdf) of solar energy whereas the new Shadow stuff is a 38% that only rejects 30.4% (see http://www.filmtechnologies.com/documents/Shadow.pdf).

Another shop nearby uses Suntek HighPerformance tint and their 35% supposedly rejects 49% of solar energy (see http://www.suntekfilms.com/specs_auto.htm). If their specs are correct -- which seems kind of hard to believe -- then their tint would give me almost a 20% greater rejection of solar energy over the other shop's new dye-only tint.

Someone at work recommended a guy who does it out of his home. He uses the Sungard PerformX. I'm a little apprehenisve about going that route though. He says he's been tinting for almost 20 years, and has been doing out of his home for the last five.

Anyhow, let me know your thoughts how a much difference those Solar Energy Rejected values really make.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CJams
Metal films give you greater heat rejection and other protection, but the loss of reception is the downside. What you can do is use the metalic film on the sides/doors and get a dyed film that matches best for the rear window.
I had a very similar conversation with the guy who tinted my car. I wanted to make sure he knew what he was doing re: metal tints & nav (though they are a very reputable shop, just being anal) and he said and did exactly as above. Its working out very well, and there's no way to tell that the rear window and the side windows aren't the exact same film, they've visually identical.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Canuck

CJAMS, how good are the Huper Optiks tint films? Is it worth paying $500-$1000 for that tint?

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/pdf_doc...DUCT_RECAP.pdf
Old 05-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Cjams must be the tint god
Old 05-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Guinea Pig

That 10% is most likely heat rejection. That film has a little bit less heat rejection and I bet is not as reflective either.

As far as going tosome dudes house to get it tinted, it's ok. I learned from a guy that did side jobs out of his house. I did it as well for a while before I opened my shop and I think every window tinter out there has tinted at least 1 car in their garage at home.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Guinea Pig

BTW- There are so many film companies out there. The best thing to do is find someone that has a certain type of film on their car and see what it looks like after a year or 2.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:00 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the advice CJams! A friend of mine had his IS300 done with Sungard film 2-3 years ago and it still looks good. I went by a Zeibart to get a quote on tinting and the guy must of picked up on me being anal and recommend the guy that does the work out of his house. He said he's worked with him in the past and he does really good work. So I've got an appointment with him next week.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsx536
I would get ceramic tint, but it's more expensive which sucks.
How different does ceramic look to metallic? Is having the side windows metallic and the rear windshield do-able?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:17 AM
'05 TSX CG W/NAV

My experience is that the installation is easily as important as the quality of the film.

That being said, I want to second the SunGard recommendation. I have had their film on my past 2 cars, my wife's past 2, and 5 or 6 friends' cars. I'm sure it is this way with mose manufacturers, but I have several acquaintances at the factory and know first hand of their dedication to developing and producing quality products across the board. (I sound like a commercial, I know, sorry).
Old 05-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
CJams,

Just had my car tinted and they covered the entire back window covering the area where the brake light is. you can still see the brake light come on through the tint (barely - it is 35%). Just wondering what the normal procedure is when installing tint on a rear window with a brake light, as I have seen some cars where they have cut the tint out around the brake light and I have also seen others done like mine.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 09:08 AM
Rebourne

CJams or anyone here for that matter. I just got my windows tinted last wednesday and I happen to have these two Noticeable 'bubbles' on the back windshield. I remember telling the manager from Ziebart about two bubbles on the back windshield and his reponse was "wait 30 day's, it should cure by then". But in reality these bubles aren't going anywhere. I'm planing to take my car back to see if they can re-do the back windshield. Now my question is, I have a Navi and they would have to remove the old tint. Which in this case wouldn't it harm the Navi antenna as well as the rear defroster? Has anyone here replaced their back winshield and or have navi problems because of this? The last thing I want to do is for these guys from Ziebart to mess up my navi antenna by removing the tint. Please your responses will be appreciated

J
Old 05-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Instructor

the navi antenna is under the rear deck, so removing tint shouldn't have anything to do with that.

as for your rear defroster, I hope they know what they're doing....
Old 05-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Any bubbles really should cure out of the film in a week, especially if you park in direct sunlight like you should to help it cure.

Also, I'd like to 'third' represent for Sun-Gard Performance film. I mistakenly posted in another thread that I had Pinnacle, but I checked with the shop after my curiosity got the better of me and they had used Sun-Gard Performance on both my TSX and my previous benz. Both look great and hold up well. (I've had 20% and 35%)
Old 05-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Rebourne

Originally Posted by defjukie
the navi antenna is under the rear deck, so removing tint shouldn't have anything to do with that.

as for your rear defroster, I hope they know what they're doing....

so the Navi antenna is not located on the back windshield? For some reason I heard from someone here on the forum saying it was located on the rear windshield.

does everyone here agree defjukie that the Navi antenna is under the rear deck? (sorry I would reference that, but I don't have the owners manual) does that mean the radio antenna is attached to the Navi antenna as well?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

The navi antenna is INSIDE the rear deck. The FM antenna is one of the rear C-Pillar.

The only thing at risk for you is your rear-window defroster.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Cjams must be the tint god
haha yea, if he's not he's pretty darned close. Dude's been tinting windows for a while.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:34 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Reach
The FM antenna is one of the rear C-Pillar.
Really?? I've always been lead to believe it was in rear window (at the top).
Old 05-17-2006, 06:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by STL
Really?? I've always been lead to believe it was in rear window (at the top).
I believe there is a booster antenna in the rear window (don't hold me to that)
Old 05-17-2006, 07:23 AM
'05 TSX CG W/NAV

Originally Posted by Jrock04TSX
CJams or anyone here for that matter. I just got my windows tinted last wednesday and I happen to have these two Noticeable 'bubbles' on the back windshield. I remember telling the manager from Ziebart about two bubbles on the back windshield and his reponse was "wait 30 day's, it should cure by then". But in reality these bubles aren't going anywhere. I'm planing to take my car back to see if they can re-do the back windshield. Now my question is, I have a Navi and they would have to remove the old tint. Which in this case wouldn't it harm the Navi antenna as well as the rear defroster? Has anyone here replaced their back winshield and or have navi problems because of this? The last thing I want to do is for these guys from Ziebart to mess up my navi antenna by removing the tint. Please your responses will be appreciated

J
An experienced tinter should be able to remove the film without damaging the defroster.

http://www.tintdude.com/remove.html
Old 05-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
BUMP

Originally Posted by tsturbo
CJams,

Just had my car tinted and they covered the entire back window covering the area where the brake light is. you can still see the brake light come on through the tint (barely - it is 35%). Just wondering what the normal procedure is when installing tint on a rear window with a brake light, as I have seen some cars where they have cut the tint out around the brake light and I have also seen others done like mine.

Thanks
AnyOne??