Heated garage, regular garage, parked outside

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heated garage, regular garage, parked outside

Any difference on your TSX when park in those condition? I live in Southern CA.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Stays cleaner in the garage than outside. No dew in the morning, fogged windows, etc.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the garage because it keeps it out of the elements and the sun. stays cleaner (Especially in Hoboken, with all the pollution and dust).

we have little electric untis in our garage, two units for a 6 car garage. the garage is kept at about 65 degrees. it's nice, but i don't think it's necessary at all.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:50 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Don't matter in socal, but in a rust-prone environment a heated garage will make rust form significantly faster.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by jpt
Don't matter in socal, but in a rust-prone environment a heated garage will make rust form significantly faster.
really? why is that?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Probably more chance of birds shitting on your car if it's outside

And of course there's more chance of theft and vandalism if outside.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Probably more chance of birds shitting on your car if it's outside
LMAO!!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Pro

I would RECOMMEND a garage.
Dings just kill you, trust me.
By not having a garage is another reason why my mods aren't as crazy as others.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Still Lovin my 06

whats the debate here jeff...do you have access to a garage or no?

if you have a garage....use it....if not....then what can ya do?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Advanced

Garaging a car in cold climates is said to accelerate corrosion due to repeated cycling of cold/warm - cyclic thermal stress reversals... If the garage is negligibly warmer than outside there is minimal impact.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:15 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a garage, otherwise i'd of bought a used beater if i had to park outside.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by BlacknBlue
Garaging a car in cold climates is said to accelerate corrosion due to repeated cycling of cold/warm - cyclic thermal stress reversals... If the garage is negligibly warmer than outside there is minimal impact.

i wont for one minute believe that keeping a car in the garage out of the elements is worse than letting it sit on the street, get sprayed with rock salt, covered in snow and rain and pollution, and have someone say that a warm garage is bad for the car.

every car my parents kept in the garage lasted twice as long as the ones that weren't in the garage. i'd love to see where they say this about garage kept cars.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Racer

Sadly...I would have to park mine on the driveway, with a car cover every night of course.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bradykp
i wont for one minute believe that keeping a car in the garage out of the elements is worse than letting it sit on the street, get sprayed with rock salt, covered in snow and rain and pollution, and have someone say that a warm garage is bad for the car.

every car my parents kept in the garage lasted twice as long as the ones that weren't in the garage. i'd love to see where they say this about garage kept cars.

I think he's referring to an underground heated garage. Which is what I park my car in. Most garages are around 20 degrees warmer than outside. i.e. If it's 5 degrees outside its 25 in the garage. That's fine. But for underground heated garages like me, regardless if it's 20 degrees or -20 degrees outside, the heated garage is always 55 degrees. That's a much bigger variance in temperature and it makes sense that big temperature swings would affect the car more negatively than smaller ones.

So, in order of best for the car: regular garage, heated garage, outside
Old 04-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by montyburnz
I think he's referring to an underground heated garage. Which is what I park my car in. Most garages are around 20 degrees warmer than outside. i.e. If it's 5 degrees outside its 25 in the garage. That's fine. But for underground heated garages like me, regardless if it's 20 degrees or -20 degrees outside, the heated garage is always 55 degrees. That's a much bigger variance in temperature and it makes sense that big temperature swings would affect the car more negatively than smaller ones.

So, in order of best for the car: regular garage, heated garage, outside
i guess i might buy into that reasoning, but i still don't think a heated garage would significantly contribute to corrosion and rust.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

i guess i might buy into that reasoning, but i still don't think a heated garage would significantly contribute to corrosion and rust.
Id have to say your wrong brad, sorry

http://www.cartalk.com/content/puzzl...34/answer.html

Encore Puzzler Answer from August 15, 1998: Blue, white and rusty are over

RAY: The Vinnie brothers have done so well in the garage business that they decided to go out and buy themselves a couple of new Oldsmobiles.

One Vinnie goes to a dealer in the daytime and picks up his new car, while the other Vinnie goes to a different dealer and takes delivery of the identical car from Enzo (who moonlights as a car salesman when he isn't painting lines).

The first Vinnie had bought a white Olds, and took a roasting from the other Vinnie for it: "You knuckle head, don you listen to Cah Talk?" Vinnie said. "They say light cahs rust tha fastest, you know." Vinnie replied, "No problem. I pahk my white beauty in na one-cah garage, an yours goes in na driveway." Vinnie shakes his head. "Oh, no, no. My dahk blue baby goes inside, cuz yours will be a hopeless rust bucket in no time."

Now, they drive the same roads and weather conditions every day, in fact could ride together if they could stand each other. Fast forward four years, and we notice that the blue car that has been in the heated garage all along has become a rust heap. The white car, which has spent its life outside in the cold, is in great shape.

Question: What's happened here?

Here's the answer:

The culprit is the heated garage. Rust is the result of a chemical reaction, and most 10th grade science students know that most chemical reactions are accelerated by heat. So the salt, water and other things that rust cars act more quickly when the vehicle is in the warm garage than outside. Too bad for Vinnie.
Same website another link:
http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...August/05.html
Old 04-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by CKcentral

what if you keep the salt off the car by keeping it in the garage

and name isn't brad....
Old 04-19-2006, 11:11 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Living in Seattle, I needed the security since its a College Campus so I have mine in a garage, Security Doors plus serveilance camera. I have proof just incase someone touches it or etc.

Bottom Line: Garage
Old 04-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Burning Brakes

what if you keep the salt off the car by keeping it in the garage

and name isn't brad....
well then you wouldnt be getting much use of ur car then

and i meant brad...ykp
Old 04-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Advanced

1 good thing about having a heated garage in the winter: You can wash and rinse it off anytime you want. When I'm feeling lazy in the winter, instead of washing it I'll give it a little spraydown. Sure it's not the same as a wash but it's better than nothing and I can do it whenever I want and not freeze my tail off in the process. And, it is nice to get into the car in the morning without a jacket when it's -20F outside.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by CKcentral
well then you wouldnt be getting much use of ur car then

and i meant brad...ykp

my last name is brady.

that's the user name.

i get plenty of use, but i wash the car, and put it in the garage. living in a city, where plows throw the snow on top of your car, and spray you with salt. you're car gets splashed, pollution settles on it, dust, pollen, etc etc.

garage, heated or not, is significantly better in this scenario.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Walking the Line

How about a carport/canopy thing? I don't have access to a garage and need some ideas as to how i can keep the TSX cleaner a little longer.

I guess a car cover would work, but is there any chance of scratching the paint and making it wear prematurely? I used a car cover for my Integra w/pretty good results, but i'm not sure with a new car. Any advice?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Distortion
How about a carport/canopy thing? I don't have access to a garage and need some ideas as to how i can keep the TSX cleaner a little longer.

I guess a car cover would work, but is there any chance of scratching the paint and making it wear prematurely? I used a car cover for my Integra w/pretty good results, but i'm not sure with a new car. Any advice?
I don't know much about car covers, but I think one factor to consider is breathability of the fabric. I know some covers are better than others, and that's about all I know.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Still Lovin my 06

i'm not a fan of car covers, just personal feelings. i dont think they do much, but they do keep some dirt off. i look at a car cover as a long term parking enhancer, not a nightly parking enhancer.