Got Rear Ended By SUV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006 | 09:41 PM
Advanced

Got Rear Ended By SUV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got rear ended this evening by an SUV while I was sitting at a red light! It didn't get me too bad, but it does look like I'll need a new bumper. It left part of the license numbers painted on it, plus 2 dents that more than likely can't be removed. I already filed a claim with my insurance. It's $500 for the deductible. How much do brand new factory painted bumpers run?
Old 06-16-2006 | 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator

That sucks. At least you're alright though. New bumpers come unpainted...you'll need to contact a body shop to do it for you.
Old 06-16-2006 | 10:08 PM
~[ô¿ô]~

I'm glad to hear you are alright. A new non-painted bumper from the dealer has a list price of between $250-$320 (price varies between dealers). You have to shop for paint prices, or refer to Acura for a hefty price.

Just out of curiosity, Why are you paying a deductible? Isn't it the SUV fault? They or their insureance should pay for everything.
Old 06-16-2006 | 11:10 PM
Instructor

Since you're ok, I'll be the first to ask....PICS?
Old 06-16-2006 | 11:13 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Nakamichi
I'm glad to hear you are alright. A new non-painted bumper from the dealer has a list price of between $250-$320 (price varies between dealers). You have to shop for paint prices, or refer to Acura for a hefty price.

Just out of curiosity, Why are you paying a deductible? Isn't it the SUV fault? They or their insureance should pay for everything.
why are you paying for it, the guy ran into you... this isn't NJ!
Old 06-16-2006 | 11:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by xizor
why are you paying for it, the guy ran into you... this isn't NJ!
he probably lives in canada.. keke
Old 06-17-2006 | 12:35 AM
Intermediate

Insurance generally makes you pay the deductible no matter what, but will then investigate the accident. If they determine the other party was at fault, they go after their insurance company to pay back A) The money they pay for the new bumper and B) Your deductible.

This is how it worked when an SUV totalled by previous car. It took at least a month to get the deductible back, though. It might work faster if you have the same insurance company as the at-fault party, though, since the company pays out no matter what.
Old 06-17-2006 | 02:36 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by GotdatTSX
I got rear ended this evening by an SUV while I was sitting at a red light! It didn't get me too bad, but it does look like I'll need a new bumper. It left part of the license numbers painted on it, plus 2 dents that more than likely can't be removed. I already filed a claim with my insurance. It's $500 for the deductible. How much do brand new factory painted bumpers run?
Sorry to hear you filed claim with your own company, unless the other guy was uninsured, in which case you'd have no choice

SUV's company will have to pay 100 per cent of damages in 99.99 per cent of these type of cases

You will get your deductible back, eventually - but you probably should have made the other company pay for the whole thing up front - and, you still might be able to if your company hasn't paid the claim
Old 06-17-2006 | 08:34 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by calcbert
Insurance generally makes you pay the deductible no matter what, but will then investigate the accident. If they determine the other party was at fault, they go after their insurance company to pay back A) The money they pay for the new bumper and B) Your deductible.

This is how it worked when an SUV totalled by previous car. It took at least a month to get the deductible back, though. It might work faster if you have the same insurance company as the at-fault party, though, since the company pays out no matter what.
my wife was hit twice in the last year and we didn't pay 1 cent out of pocket, investigation or not. you're getting shafted
Old 06-17-2006 | 08:50 AM
4th Gear

Talking We pay nothing in TX

Wow, when I got rear-ended in my pickup (what else would I be driving in Texas?) I paid not a penny. Just called the other guy's insurance company and they handled it from there. Same happened when my wife was rear-ended in her Accord.

I can't imagine having to pay a cent when the other guy is at fault!!!!
Old 06-17-2006 | 09:44 AM
Team Owner

You shouldn't have filed the claim with your insurance company. Should have gone straight to the other guy's insurance company and made them pay for it. That way, you don't have to cough up the $500 deductible in the first place.
Old 06-17-2006 | 09:57 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
You shouldn't have filed the claim with your insurance company. Should have gone straight to the other guy's insurance company and made them pay for it. That way, you don't have to cough up the $500 deductible in the first place.
I totally disagree. If a customer pays their premium to an insurance company, they should get the benefit of that company at the time of a claim. What if you collect from the company that insured the other driver - and six weeks later you find some additional, undiscovered damage, or that the repair job is fautly? It's difficult to pursue the other insurance company - if it's your own , it's a much easier process. In fact, some companies offer lifetime (as long as you own your car ) guarantees on the repairs.

If the other driver is at fault, you'll get your deductible back, usually quickly. If funds are a problem, you may want to put the deductible on a credit card and just pay the interest for the two or three months until the subrogation is complete and you have the deductible in your hands.

As I mentioned in an other thread, I'm speaking from over 31 years experience in this field.

Larry
Old 06-17-2006 | 10:14 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Larrude
I totally disagree. If a customer pays their premium to an insurance company, they should get the benefit of that company at the time of a claim. What if you collect from the company that insured the other driver - and six weeks later you find some additional, undiscovered damage, or that the repair job is fautly? It's difficult to pursue the other insurance company - if it's your own , it's a much easier process. In fact, some companies offer lifetime (as long as you own your car ) guarantees on the repairs.

If the other driver is at fault, you'll get your deductible back, usually quickly. If funds are a problem, you may want to put the deductible on a credit card and just pay the interest for the two or three months until the subrogation is complete and
My wife's coworker got dropped from her insurance company after totalling 2 cars a couple monthes apart, both times the other driver was totally at fault... but she reported it to her own insurance just in case. don't think accidents that you're not at fault for don't show up on your record

sorry, insurance companies are not your friend, they're not out to do what's best for you
Old 06-17-2006 | 10:40 PM
9th Gear

My wife's coworker got dropped from her insurance company after totalling 2 cars a couple monthes apart, both times the other driver was totally at fault... but she reported it to her own insurance just in case. don't think accidents that you're not at fault for don't show up on your record

sorry, insurance companies are not your friend, they're not out to do what's best for you
Insurance laws and insurance companies vary by state and province. But, you don't have to make a report to your insurance company for them to learn about your claim. Most North American companies are part of the CLUE report system (Comprehensive Loss Underwritting Exchange) and can and will be able to see your claims historyeather you report the claim to them or not.

A company cancelling a customer for two not at fault claims in two months (or two years) is unconscionable.
Old 06-17-2006 | 11:53 PM
Let me help you!

if you're totalling two cars in two months, then you must be doing something wrong. So that coworker is either a bad driver, or takes too many risks
Old 06-18-2006 | 10:15 PM
Intermediate

i was hit by a SUV too about 4 months ago while stopped at red light. my 99 tl was totalled and now i got a 06 tsx. i didn't pay any deductible
Old 06-18-2006 | 10:31 PM
Advanced

I left a message with my adjuster (AAA) regarding whether or not I'll get my money back once the other driver is found to be the cause of the accident. I'm hoping I'll get it back.
Old 06-18-2006 | 11:41 PM
Yui
Pro

I heard about an SUV that rearended a car at an onramp light waiting to get on a highway. Fuel tank ignited and car exploded. All 4 passengers, which included two children, died.

I friggin hate SUVs.
Old 06-19-2006 | 08:35 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
if you're totalling two cars in two months, then you must be doing something wrong. So that coworker is either a bad driver, or takes too many risks
That's a shit assumption to make. I was hit twice, 4 months apart, and neither one was my fault. Hell, one was while I wasn't even in my truck.

It's called chance...perhaps the person just had some bad luck. You can't control everything in a car, least of all other people.
Old 06-19-2006 | 08:37 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

Originally Posted by Yui
I heard about an SUV that rearended a car at an onramp light waiting to get on a highway. Fuel tank ignited and car exploded. All 4 passengers, which included two children, died.

I friggin hate SUVs.
Wow, because that is totally the vehicle's fault, not the driver at all.
Old 06-19-2006 | 09:06 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by feelgood13
he probably lives in canada.. keke
Hmm, not sure what that is supposed to mean, but in Canada if you get rear ended then the other driver is at fault and you are not responsible for damages, a deductable, or anything else.

Now unlike the US you cannot sue for $2 million because you have been emotionally damaged, but damage to your car is covered.
Old 06-19-2006 | 09:44 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by nwalbert
Hmm, not sure what that is supposed to mean, but in Canada if you get rear ended then the other driver is at fault and you are not responsible for damages, a deductable, or anything else.

Now unlike the US you cannot sue for $2 million because you have been emotionally damaged, but damage to your car is covered.
The comment about sueing for $2 million is very uninformed. In many states, there is a no fault provision that (in New York for example), you can only sue if you suffer SEVERE injury, loss of limb, or death. Sueing for emotional damage is not possible.

Broad generalizations spread misinformation - let's stick with facts - like the Acura TSX is the coolest vehicle on the road !
Old 06-19-2006 | 10:56 PM
Advanced

I just got some good news this evening, I don't have to pay the $500. AAA reached Farmers and they concluded that the other driver was at faulf (DUH!). I took it to a shop to get a estimate today and they not only said I'll need a new bumper but it also looks like the trunk was knocked slightly out of alignment. I got a quest for you guys/gals on here, what do they do to realign the trunk (straighten it or put a new one on)?
Old 06-19-2006 | 11:01 PM
Yui
Pro

Originally Posted by Ronin317
Wow, because that is totally the vehicle's fault, not the driver at all.
Force = mass * acceleration

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...crash0616.html

Sorry, I did get some details mixed up as I heard it on the news. If he hadn't been driving an SUV it probably wouldn't have been as severe an accident - he certainly wouldn't have had enough inertia to push a minivan into the intersection like that.
Old 06-20-2006 | 09:56 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

You're missing my point...the careless driver caused the wreck.
Old 06-20-2006 | 09:59 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Ronin317
That's a shit assumption to make. I was hit twice, 4 months apart, and neither one was my fault. Hell, one was while I wasn't even in my truck.

It's called chance...perhaps the person just had some bad luck. You can't control everything in a car, least of all other people.
I got hit 3 days apart in 2 different cars in March, neither totalled, but both totally the other person's fault. Other people are just stupid, I can't help that
Old 06-20-2006 | 10:05 AM
Recovering SUV Addict...

I got hit 3 days apart in 2 different cars in March, neither totalled, but both totally the other person's fault. Other people are just stupid, I can't help that
Precisely. You can't control that. Neither of mine were major (sub $1k each), but it pisses you off because of the time and inconvineince to get it fixed a decent shop...
Old 11-18-2006 | 07:55 PM
1st Gear

so weird, i got rear ended by an SUV at a red light too!

insurance covered everything, and i got new parts...but now my trunk is dark... literally no light, anyone have any suggestions or reasons why?
Old 11-18-2006 | 08:07 PM
Registered Car Nut

Originally Posted by Yui

I friggin hate SUVs.
Hum... the fact that the car's tank ignited and the car exploded makes me hate whatever car that is way more than the SUV... Think about it, on an on-ramp, the SUV couldn't have been moving all that fast, and unless the driver of the car that got hit decided to get on the highway with the brakes on (I hate when they do that), the speed differential shouldn't have been that high. How that translates into a fuel tank explosion is beyond me...

unless the car was a Ford Pinto...
Old 11-18-2006 | 08:18 PM
Registered Car Nut

Originally Posted by nwalbert
True in most of Canada, except in Quebec. Quebec has a "no fault" law, which means that, whether or not you are responisible for the accident, you are responsible for your own damages. This means that your insurance company has to pay for your damages and cannot sue the other driver's insurance to cover their costs.

This results in a different classification in terms of claims agaisnt your insurance (at fault, not at fault). When not at fault, you do not have to pay your deductible, however, this constitutes a claim nonetheless. Get enough of those, and you'll still find your insurance costs to go up...
Old 11-19-2006 | 01:45 AM
seizure force field!

you pay your deductible, but your insurance should collect the deductible from the motorist that is at fault and reimburse it to you.

Someone did a hit and run on my car in a parking lot, it was classified as collision (which I thought is BS because my car was not moving) and I paid the full 1,000 deductible which was not reimbursed because there was no OTHER insurance to collect it from
Old 11-19-2006 | 07:45 PM
Let me help you!

Originally Posted by ChrismanTSX
Hum... the fact that the car's tank ignited and the car exploded makes me hate whatever car that is way more than the SUV... Think about it, on an on-ramp, the SUV couldn't have been moving all that fast, and unless the driver of the car that got hit decided to get on the highway with the brakes on (I hate when they do that), the speed differential shouldn't have been that high. How that translates into a fuel tank explosion is beyond me...
Many SUV drivers drive around with cell phones in their hand (trust me, with my commute through LA for several years, I see at least once a week...they don't pay as much attention and a few actually almost hit me). I think the SUV driver might have been on the phone and thought that the onramp lights were not regulating traffic (ie: after a certain time of day, they stay green or turn off). I think a massive vehicle that was trying to accelerate up to freeway speeds would have enough energy to take out a low-torque car.

Fuel tanks in passenger cars are rigid. If you hit it, it can crumple/leak/explode/whatever. Perhaps in a certain situation, maybe it was ignited by the exhaust system or whatever. It's in the rear of the car, so a SUV rear-ending a vehicle can have the inertia to reach the tank. Long ago, in race cars (ie: Nascar), they used whatever fuel tank that came with the car. Now they have fuel cells to avoid leaks & explosions. I think some are even collapsible (like having a bag of fuel that decreases in size as the fuel runs out, and vice versa)

I don't know how you can blame the car for having it's fuel tank in the rear of the car. I don't think the car manufacturers create different types of fuel tanks and fuel lines for their vehicles. I think if you got a SUV to rear-end a BMW, Mercedes, Ford, or Honda....they'd have an equal chance to explode.
Old 11-19-2006 | 09:50 PM
Registered Car Nut

Many SUV drivers drive around with cell phones in their hand (trust me, with my commute through LA for several years, I see at least once a week...they don't pay as much attention and a few actually almost hit me). I think the SUV driver might have been on the phone and thought that the onramp lights were not regulating traffic (ie: after a certain time of day, they stay green or turn off).
Again, the SUV does not cause the accident, but the idiot driver, on the phone and driving the SUV like a sports car does.
I think a massive vehicle that was trying to accelerate up to freeway speeds would have enough energy to take out a low-torque car.
Unless the speed differential is greater than 30 mph, current NHTSA regulations would allow for less than an ounce of fuel to be spilled on impact (and 5 ounces over the next 5 minutes). (see the NHTSA - Rear Impact Not enough to cause the explosion.

If the speed differential is greated than 30 mph, i have to go back to the idiot driver (now, either the SUV driver, or a driver slamming the brakes getting onto the highway, instead of merging at an adequate speed), not the car.

I don't know how you can blame the car for having it's fuel tank in the rear of the car. I don't think the car manufacturers create different types of fuel tanks and fuel lines for their vehicles. I think if you got a SUV to rear-end a BMW, Mercedes, Ford, or Honda....they'd have an equal chance to explode.
I'm not blaming the car for having its fuel tank in the rear; the vast majority does. However, less than 1% of towaway collisions result in fire (but this results in 3.5% of fatalities), so I was just drawing the conclusion that either 1) the car's design (could be position of the tank, design of car structure, etc.) or manufacturing could be at fault, or 2) the idiot in the SUV would be. Fact is, there will always be larger vehicles on the road, and the solution is not to remove them, but rather make them, and the other vehicles they share the road with, safer.