Finally the TSX is gone!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 01:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally the TSX is gone!

I hope you all enjoy your cars but I had to many little iritating things and the big thing, burning 1 QT. of oil every 1500 to 2000 miles. I will miss the driving dynamics of the car but that is about it. All the new hondas and acuras will be more prone to oil consumption as I have been told by Acura. Not the dealer! This is due to most of the newer cars using carbon cylinder sleeves as opposed to steel, apparantly the rings don't do so well with the carbon sleeves but I guess that is better than warped steel sleeves as that was the reason to go to carbon. So there is the trade off which is more oil consumption. Anyway hope you all enjoy your cars. I sold it for 24500 with 23k on the odometer.

Swiftoy
Old 05-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Cruisin'

i know.. man that whole $3.00 i might have to spend for a quart of oil every 1500 miles just puts me over the top...
Old 05-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

Hey smart ass if you can live with it great. I cannot. In over twenty years of driving and owning more than a dozen cars NOT ONE has ever used oil. Todays modern cars with all the technology put into them they should not use oil. That was not my only reason, from the day I purchased the car it has been a rattling and creaking bucket of shit. The worst I have ever owned from Honda or Acura, does this mean I will never buy another again, NO! No car is perfect especially the first model year.

Swiftoy
Old 05-24-2004, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats sucks, what is the replacement going to be?
Old 05-24-2004, 01:47 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

So you are throwing away a few thousand dollars in depreciation and taxes because of burning oil? Financially this was a bad move, but to each his own.

BTW, my TSX burns no oil, so I dont think its a problem will all Acuras, or TSX's.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Swiftoy
Hey smart ass if you can live with it great. I cannot. In over twenty years of driving and owning more than a dozen cars NOT ONE has ever used oil. Todays modern cars with all the technology put into them they should not use oil. That was not my only reason, from the day I purchased the car it has been a rattling and creaking bucket of shit. The worst I have ever owned from Honda or Acura, does this mean I will never buy another again, NO! No car is perfect especially the first model year.

Swiftoy
i just found it amusing. That was really the only reason you gave and it equates to around $30 a year..

if you have the rattles, seat movement and crap like that then i could see some reasoning behind it.. did you at least try to get em fixed under warranty before selling?

b~
Old 05-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

sorry to say, but all cars regardless of what you think, burn oil. The degree of how much oil depends on many things, but they all burn oil.

My 94GSR burns about 1 quart every 1500 miles. My S2K didn't seem to burn that much (then again I replaced the oil ever 3K miles). Never had to add any oil. Same goes with my hybrid. The oil level always appears to be in the right range (i'm going to 10k miles this time around on the hybrid so I might have to add but so far looks good).
Old 05-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

I did take a loss in the money i spent in the whole year I had the car but I did not pay to get out of it. The 24500 paid the note.

I had the car in the dealer more times than I care to talk about I was just tired of the whole thing. Dealerships don't care to much about warranty customers they don't make as much money as service related customers.

Swiftoy
Old 05-24-2004, 02:01 PM
The Voice of Reason

$24,500 after 23,000 miles sounds like a terrific price! Was yours a Lemon Law buyback?

I've never had a "new", non-US car use that much oil. I'd be plenty pissed, too! It's not the $$, it's the nuisance! If I wanted to be annoyed, there are plenty of other cars I could have purchased.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Bob you hit the nail on the head. I think you just summed up my expression.

No lemon law, did not qualify I talked to two different attorneys. I sold the car to a private party.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Pro

Did you replace the crush washer with each oil change? If not, that could explain your oil loss.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Instructor

sad you're selling the tsx...

but I know of many cars that use up a little oil once in awhile...acuras...hondas..bmw's....

good luck with ur new car thou =)
Old 05-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think so, you would see oil drops everywhere, not to mention the bolt would come off with your hand. Oil gets into the piston chamber, very small amounts, but it gets there and it burns off with every explosion. This is how cars work, a tiny amount is burned on every power stroke. More if the engine is running hot as in you are racing, or you are using the wrong oil, or oil weight for the conditions at hand, etc... many reasons. In some cases it's a slight defect in the tolerance of the engine but within the ok range.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally posted by Swiftoy
Bob you hit the nail on the head. I think you just summed up my expression.

No lemon law, did not qualify I talked to two different attorneys. I sold the car to a private party.
N-E-Way, how's your new Toyota Prius doing??

j/k :shakehd:
Old 05-24-2004, 03:34 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Hm...interesting. My TSX doesn't burn that much oil. In fact, this is the only car that I didn't have to add any oil in between oil changes, not to mention the recommended oil change is every 5k miles. My Integra burnt about 2 quarts of oil between oil changes (roughly every 3500 miles). My Prelude used to burn about a quart every 3500 miles, but now it drinks oil like no other...at least 4 quarts between oil changes. It started burning oil ever since I had that mis-shift.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Instructor

A few TSXs came through with leaking main seals , they lost a quart of oil per 1000-1500 miles. I know because I have one.
When my car was brand new around 700 miles and breaking in, I checked the oil pretty often and noticed how the oil level was dropping but I didn't see any oil out of the exhaust (blue smoke) so I presumed that I had a leak. A pretty substantial one at that.

I always change my own oil on all of my vehicles and and being mechanically inclined, I instantly got into the engine compartment top and bottom with my shop light. Sure enough, when examining the oilpan area there was evidence of oil residue, but not excessive, but a light coating around the bottom of the engine, and inside the plastic panels underneath. Similar to the amount that'll leak when you're changing the oil. I first cleaned off the drain plug and oil pan with a paper towel and spread newspaper underneath the car. I watched it's progress with the intent of determining where the hell the leak was !
I understand swiftys frustration, I mean it's a brand new car.
So I call the dealer, told them I had a car with a 1000 miles onit that has already gone through a quart of oil. I told them about the leak and they fixed it in a day and I haven't lost a drip of oil since....fortunately.
I was originally considering buying a Mercedes C230 and the Acura because I rent the C class while I'm overseas in Germany on business. After this episode, and owning a hot rodded 92 Civic sohc vtec as well as a 2003 Honda Pilot ( a great SUV) I love my Hondas but began to have my doubts too. After they fixed it, I'll have to admit that I was considering driving the TSX to the MB dealership and capitalizing on the TSX high demand & good resale !
Fortunately, as I'd said earlier I haven't had another issue with the vehicle. I just checked the oil and it's right on the money now so I guess that that was the problem. Fortunately.
In the engineering world we're paid to solve problems and my philosophy is that there IS a solution to every problem.
Perhaps in swiftys case it was an internal malfunction. I've even heard of Hondas leaking oil through the porosity of the aluminum blocks...a casting defect in early S2000s, and MDX's.
I can understand Swiftys perspective for Honda build thousands of cars every year ...why live with a crappy one ? Life is too short. It's like dented cans in the supermarket Just go get another one off the same shelf ...
Old 05-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Racer

Anyone here actually follow the "normal" maintenance schedule? Heh, makes me feel lazy for waiting to the normal mileage rather than the severe mileage for my first oil change.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:14 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
In canada we have to follow the severe schedule so we don't really have a choice...
Old 05-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by toddstuh
A few TSXs came through with leaking main seals , they lost a quart of oil per 1000-1500 miles. I know because I have one.
When my car was brand new around 700 miles and breaking in, I checked the oil pretty often and noticed how the oil level was dropping but I didn't see any oil out of the exhaust (blue smoke) so I presumed that I had a leak. A pretty substantial one at that.

I always change my own oil on all of my vehicles and and being mechanically inclined, I instantly got into the engine compartment top and bottom with my shop light. Sure enough, when examining the oilpan area there was evidence of oil residue, but not excessive, but a light coating around the bottom of the engine, and inside the plastic panels underneath. Similar to the amount that'll leak when you're changing the oil. I first cleaned off the drain plug and oil pan with a paper towel and spread newspaper underneath the car. I watched it's progress with the intent of determining where the hell the leak was !
So I call the dealer, told them I had a car with a 1000 miles onit that has already gone through a quart of oil. I told them about the leak and they fixed it in a day and I haven't lost a drip of oil since....fortunately.
I was originally considering buying a Mercedes C230 and the Acura because I rent the C class while I'm overseas in Germany on business. After this episode, and owning a hot rodded 92 Civic sohc vtec as well as a 2003 Honda Pilot ( a great SUV) I love my Hondas but began to have my doubts too. After they fixed it, I'll have to admit that I was considering driving the TSX to the MB dealership and capitalizing on the TSX high demand & good resale !
Fortunately, as I'd said earlier I haven't had another issue with the vehicle. I just checked the oil and it's right on the money now so I guess that that was the problem. Fortunately.
In the engineering world we're paid to solve problems and my philosophy is that there IS a solution to every problem.
Perhaps in swiftys case it was an internal malfunction. I've even heard of Hondas leaking oil through the porosity of the aluminum blocks...a casting defect in early S2000s, and MDX's.
I can understand Swiftys perspective for Honda build thousands of cars every year ...why live with a crappy one ? Life is too short. It's like dented cans in the supermarket Just go get another one off the same shelf ...

I ventured underneath the car and checked all of the obvious possibilities and there were no leaks. I am aslo quite mechanically inclined as well and do all of my own services. I have owned 5 Honda and Acura's combined and this one just fell short and I expect more from this company. They do build great cars and I am sure I will purchase another in the future. For now I am back to the Toyota clan I won't veture to far from H/A or T/L. They both build great but not perfect cars.

Oh and for those of you who buy into the dealerships whole industry standard of 1 QT. per 1000 miles BS. Just because there is a tolerance or an industry standard doesn't mean there isn't a problem.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I just added 1 qt of oil in 2000 miles and agree it's too excessive. However, I have proof that not all oil leaked through the rings. The PCV system is a main source how the oil got used up so quickly.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by toddstuh

I ventured underneath the car and checked all of the obvious possibilities and there were no leaks. I am aslo quite mechanically inclined as well and do all of my own services. I have owned 5 Honda and Acura's combined and this one just fell short and I expect more from this company. They do build great cars and I am sure I will purchase another in the future. For now I am back to the Toyota clan I won't veture to far from H/A or T/L. They both build great but not perfect cars.

Oh and for those of you who buy into the dealerships whole industry standard of 1 QT. per 1000 miles BS. Just because there is a tolerance or an industry standard doesn't mean there isn't a problem.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Can't wait to drive

All new cars including the TSX burn oil during break-in period. I remember filling up my TSX about a quart of "oil" when it was new. This is due to the break-in fluid that is in the original oil from factory. I changed my oil at 5k miles, and I'm at over 8k miles now, and I check my oil frequently...I've added less than half a quart since last oil change...almost negligible.

so remember..it's not just the oil, it's the break-in fluid that is designed to burn off when engine is new.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Arcticcl9
All new cars including the TSX burn oil during break-in period. I remember filling up my TSX about a quart of "oil" when it was new. This is due to the break-in fluid that is in the original oil from factory. I changed my oil at 5k miles, and I'm at over 8k miles now, and I check my oil frequently...I've added less than half a quart since last oil change...almost negligible.

so remember..it's not just the oil, it's the break-in fluid that is designed to burn off when engine is new.
Well lets see I sold my car with 23k on the odometer and it was still using the same amount as the day I drove it off the lot.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

i think you look at your oil too much and worry too much. i change my oil every 3-4500 miles whenever i get around to it. the oil light never comes on and i could care less how much is in there as long as the oil light never comes on.
i dont think my car burns any more oil than it should. perhaps you got a bad block some of the TL motors had porus blocks where the oil would actualyl permiate through the block.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
i think you look at your oil too much and worry too much. i change my oil every 3-4500 miles whenever i get around to it. the oil light never comes on and i could care less how much is in there as long as the oil light never comes on.
i dont think my car burns any more oil than it should. perhaps you got a bad block some of the TL motors had porus blocks where the oil would actualyl permiate through the block.
I think "you" miss the point. Nothing to worry about the cars gone.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Advanced

My RSX -S drinks oil too and it pisses me off...just another thing i have to keep my eye on now

I really miss my good ol' CRX Si...what a gem.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Engines use oil during break in due to the seating of the piston rings and the cylinder liners. That's why it's advisable to take it easy on newer engines. I also know from experience that the more you rev an engine, the more oil it uses as well.
Since we know that the engines are built by humans...this one must've had a piece of someone's sandwich or perhaps sushimi dropped inside or something.
All kidding aside, what I am saying is that that engine was obviously defective, and part of the statistical fallout of any mass produced product. Unfortunately, this occurs in Honda and Toyotas too, and every other auto manufacturer.
I'd have to agree that 1000 miles per quart definately wasn't normal but that's a fair amount of oil to simply vanish.
That's .32oz/10 miles. With a fluid once = 6 tsps , that works out to about 2 teaspoons of oil every 10 miles.
I guess the engine had a serious drinking problem.{:^)

I've heard of Brake Fluid...but I've never heard of "break in fluid" before, that's a new one on me. {:^)

Engine oil is refined from crude and contains additives. The additives are what make engine oil different from the dino juice that's pumped out of the ground. One of these additives which is commonly used is an anti wear additive. Break in oil merely has less of this additive to promote the proper wear in of the pistons, rings and cylinder wall liners without damaging the valve train components.