Engine Break-in Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004 | 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Engine Break-in Question

Here's the deal. I'm looking at getting a new TSX here in the next couple weeks. The problem is I am moving on the 20th from NY to NC. I've figured out the mileage and lets just say its about 750 miles between NY and NC. I'd like to get the TSX before I have to make the drive because my current car, a 1996 Accord, doesn't have cruise control. I've already done the drive twice in the Accord and its not a fun trip without cruise.

My question is, will it hurt the engine to drive it the 750 miles, mostly highway of course, in the span about about 24 hours? Obviously with the new engine I wouldn't be driving it hard and would pay special attention to keeping the RPMs low and things like that. The drive won't be straight through and I will probably drive 350-400 miles the first day and the rest the second day. I will be accompained by a Toyota Highlander which is going to be pulling a tailer which means we will need to stop around the 250 mile mark to get gas so the TSX will get a brief break. Also, with the Highlander we won't be able to go much beyond 70-75mph with the trailer.

Should I wait until I get to NC to buy the TSX? Obviously if I got it before hand I would put some mileage on it first (probably 200-300 miles) so I'm not starting the trip with 10 miles on the odometer. I've seen so many conflicting accounts on what is proper for engine break-in I have no idea what to believe.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2004 | 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

acutally .. i think this higway milage break ins are much better than stop and go traffic break ins. correct me if i'm wrong
Old 11-01-2004 | 09:06 PM
Cruisin'

I would wait until you get to NC before getting a TSX.

First, you'd have to pay for out-of-state re-registering, taxes, etc. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with putting alot of miles on your first drive as long as you stop every once in awhile to give it a breather. Also, I'd advise you to AVOID using cruise if you do decide to buy it before moving. I did this with my brand new 2000 GS-R (rip) for 800 miles right after I bought it. I thought as long as I stay low in the RPMs, my engine would be broken-in by the time I reached Orange County. What I later found was a slight jerk (or delay) when accelerating at the exact rpm that I cruised the 800 or so miles. So later on (well after break-in) whenever I reached the exact RPM (3300 rpm, I think) I felt a slight jerk during accelerating. With a new engine, cylindrical rings form around your piston heads in the engine block and your engine in essence 'breaks in' the violent friction occuring in your block. I don't know if there is any technical merit to what I'm suggesting, but I'm just speaking from experience. It's also important to note my engine blew around 20k miles (though Acura gave me a new one =). If you do decide to go through with it, vary your speeds from 50-70 mph, varying your rpms is whats important so the engine will break in a wider range of in your cylinger heads and piston rings, though varying it in the low rpms is still a good suggestion. Thirdly, the long trip will guarantee at least a few chips in your front fascia/windshield. If you do go through with this, I'd suggest a clear bra for your bumper/headlights/lower hood, etc) or the manufacturers bra. Lastly, to avoid risking any of the three aforementioned harmful situations, just buy it in NC...
Old 11-01-2004 | 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Tuner, you bring up some interesting points. The out-of-state reregistering is not a problem because I can get a 45-day temp plate in NY, not pay any sales tax or anything like that and just pay taxes and registration in NC.

The chips and dings you bring up from the trip is not something I had thought about. Thanks for bringing it up.

In all likelihood I will probably buy it in NC after all just because of the hassle of getting everything everything arranged in NY with the temp plates and insurance coverage and things like that.
Old 11-02-2004 | 06:43 AM
Intermediate

I'd still value other opinions if anyone else wants to chime in.
Old 11-02-2004 | 06:56 AM
Race Director

I'd wait, but i dont really have a reason why. Why are you moving to NC?
Old 11-02-2004 | 06:58 AM
Race Director

Look at the owners manual for virtually any car and you'll find that they recommend moderate throttle use and varying of speed. For this reason I'd get the car in NC.
At this time of year, the availability of the car might be even more important - you might get a real good deal on a leftover 04 in one location or another. I'd just jump at the better deal (wherever it is) and worry about proper break in later.
Old 11-02-2004 | 07:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Yep, you won't be able to use your cruise control any more on the TSX than on the Accord, because you should be constantly modulating your speed and rpms.

Originally Posted by tuner
there's nothing wrong with putting alot of miles on your first drive as long as you stop every once in awhile to give it a breather.
Is that your own impression, or you know it for a fact?
Old 11-02-2004 | 07:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
I'd wait, but i dont really have a reason why. Why are you moving to NC?
I'm moving to NC because I'm graduating college here in 2 weeks and I got a position in Raleigh. I'm buying the TSX aa sort of a graduation present for myself.

Originally Posted by biker
Look at the owners manual for virtually any car and you'll find that they recommend moderate throttle use and varying of speed. For this reason I'd get the car in NC.
At this time of year, the availability of the car might be even more important - you might get a real good deal on a leftover 04 in one location or another. I'd just jump at the better deal (wherever it is) and worry about proper break in later.
Unfortunately I've never had an owners manual with any of my cars. First was a '90 Ford Taurus, now the 1996 Accord, both of which were broken in already and neither came with the manual. I've been searching for a 2004 at numerous dealers here in NY and in NC, neither of which have a TSX. I test drove one last weekend and the dealer only had 3, 2 demos and 1 in the showroom, none of which was a 6 speed manual with the navi.
Old 11-02-2004 | 07:57 AM
Race Director

The 6MT w/navi is such a rare combo that you'll probably be hard pressed to find one (04 or 05).
You might have to widen your search area.
Old 11-02-2004 | 08:44 AM
Intermediate

Really? Is it that rare of a combo? I haven't read any posts about people having a hard time getting a 6MT with the navigation system. Maybe I'm mistaken?
Old 11-02-2004 | 08:50 AM
Race Director

Look at any online inventory of any dealer. Besides some oddball color, 6MT w/navi is the rarest combo. 6MT to start with is rare enough. Some combos you will never find on a dealer lot - you have to order it.
Old 11-02-2004 | 09:46 AM
Racer

You should wait until after you move to buy the TSX. Break-in should entail varied loads and temperatures. Two-lane roads, in my opinion, are much preferred over Interstate highways for the first 600 miles; more varied speeds, generally no situation that requires application of the brakes at high speed, stop-and-go allows the engine to operate at different temperatures, at different loads, and also allows the brakes to break-in under moderate usage.

In addition, there can be a benefit from buying your car from the same dealer that you will be using to service your car. It is good to be able to walk in and spot the salesman, and the service manager, before you have to have service. Some dealers will take better care of "their" customers than someone else's customers. For one thing, the dealer is more likely to believe that you are settled into the area and are likely to be a reference, good or bad, for them (in other words, you are not apt to be moving back to NY in a year). My salesman has been told at least a half dozen times that my wife will be in the market for another car in one to two years. The sales manager has been told at least once. Thus far, we have received first class treatment and have been extremely satisfied with the salesman (Matt S.), the service department, and the dealership -- Apple Tree Acura in Fletcher, NC (near the Asheville airport).

As others have stated, it is generally considered undesirable to use cruise control, or to drive at a constant speed, during the break-in period (600 miles minimum). I try to vary the speed at least every five minutes during break-in. That is generally assured on two lanes roads with traffic lights -- or on mountain roads with plenty of hills and curves.

Actually, I would wait until next April to buy a new car -- when the days are longer, the weather is warmer, and I would have all Summer to enjoy the new car before Winter arrives. You will have a lot of new things to explore, and to experience, once you are in NC -- from the beaches in the East to the mountains in the West. A new car can make the expeience even more enjoyable -- but not during winter.

Note: For a new car to be available in April, you may have to order it in Jan. Do not gave any dealership more than $500.00 deposit (or earnest money) if you do order a car. You may even get a dealer to order your car simply by giving them a letter stating your "intent" to buy a SSM, 6 speed, TSX with Nav on 2 April, 2005 and that you will check with them first to see if they have one. They can always sell it to someone else if you change your mind.
Old 11-02-2004 | 10:57 AM
Intermediate

For those of you who already own a TSX, could you look in your owner's manual and tell me what it says about engine break in? Every company seems to have a different idea on how this works and I figure the owner's manual is probably the best method for doing so.

Jim, thanks for adding your input. The more I think about the more I think I'm going to buy the car in North Carolina. It just seems easier than avoiding the hassle of trying to vary my speed over the duration of an 11 hour drive.
Old 11-02-2004 | 02:47 PM
Cruisin'

Performance Acura in Chapel Hill has a 04 Gray 6sp/Navi, as of this past Saturday.
Old 11-02-2004 | 03:58 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the heads up, I sent them an email.
Old 11-02-2004 | 04:29 PM
Intermediate

Turns out Performance Acura still has one in Carbon Gray, manual, with the navi. I asked for a quote request and got back a price of $27,500. $28,784 after NC taxes and fees and such. Good price?
Old 11-03-2004 | 04:04 PM
Cruisin'

Did you talk to Craig Dyer, the internet sales guy? They throw in some accessories as part of the internet sale. I think splash guards and trunk mat. I saw that car, pretty nice.. and no pin stripe!!!!! Not sure on the price, got mine w/o the navi, but they made the best deal between 4 dealers on my TSX. plus they have the car in stock. Also check out hendrick Acura in Charlotte. I think they had an 04 6mt left.
Old 11-03-2004 | 04:14 PM
Intermediate

Right now I'm dealing with a Jamie Stockman.

We're still working out the details. Should know more in a few days.