The Eagle Has Landed

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004 | 01:53 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

The Eagle Has Landed

I picked up my TSX two weeks ago tomorrow, but with Graduation, Commissioning in the Navy, a trip to Chicago, a couple trips to the Jersey shore, etc etc, I've been too busy to post.

I've also put ~1200 miles on the car in the two weeks, which includes being in Chicago for 4 days while my car sat behind my house The car did have 120 miles on it when I picked it up, and I was a little dissappointed my sales woman drove it from another dealer rather than have it trucked, but they got it to me 2 weeks early, so I didn't complain.

As far as impressions of the car, I love it. It is by far the nicest car I've ever owned, and I'm thrilled with everything. The nav system is wonderful and easily worth every penny, and the sound system is actually pretty good, much better than I expected. I think I'll wait to replace stuff for a while. I do plan on having an XM Commander and a hookup for my iPod mini installed in a month or so, I will be driving down to GA in July to move, and want all the entertainment I can get. Has anyone had both the iPod and XM hooked up? No FM modulators need apply, I am a snob. Also, I plan on getting a mild tint for the windows, more to protect the leather from the GA sun than anything else. That plus the wooden shift knob I bought off of eBay will round out pretty much everything I plan on doing to the car.

I wondered how I would feel about getting the 5AT, since my only other 2 cars I've owned were both stick, but I have no regrets at all. The car has plenty of power; the guys who complain bought the wrong kind of car. You aren't going to go picking on Mustang GTs with a TSX, but a GT is nowhere as nice to ride in as the TSX, and I've never needed more power for passing or merging. I am coming from a 127-hp Civic EX, so YMMV.

As far as flaws, I have notice both the seat-rocking thing on really hard stops, and a minor windshield creak, but neither has bothered me enough to make me want to give up my car for a few days. Also, I'm having a bitch of a time keeping the beige floormats clean, anyone have some tips? I want to avoid the all-weather ones until winter...the driver's side is always clean, it's those other three mats that seem to get dirty so fast. Maybe I shouldn't let anyone else ride in the car.

Lastly, I know my color combo (Red/Tan) isn't the most popular on the board, but I have to say, I love it! The interior just makes me feel rich, especially with the extra wood shift knob. Everyone who sees my car says it's beautiful, and then they get inside and their jaws just go I wonder if maybe the people who complain about the power, etc, got the dark interiors, and are expecting a sports sedan, and the people who got the tan interiors expected more of a luxury sedan.

Anyways, I got the car washed again today, and I will try and take some pictures this evening when it's cooled off some, and I can take it some cool places around Philly, and of course, put some more miles on it. [Push Button] "Find Nearest Scenic Photo Spots"
Old 05-24-2004 | 03:27 PM
Orangeblood

Nice writeup. The red is bold, but in a cool way. Glad the parchment is workin for ya.

Sad to hear a 32K model still has the seat prob. My 27 something has shown no evidence of it.
Old 05-24-2004 | 03:51 PM
Cruisin'

Congratulations! Mine is still on the boat somewhere. So how long did it take from the boat to you picking it up? I think from your previous thread about 4 weeks?
Old 05-24-2004 | 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

red/tan looks great.
Old 05-24-2004 | 06:28 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Hey...welcome to the Navy sir. Where are you going to first? I do have my XM commander and MP3 player installed together via a SNHOND3 adapter, but my brother's friend helped me build a custom switch out of radio shack parts, so it sound great! Not sure your background, but if you have an EE degree then I would think it's well within your ability. Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-24-2004 | 06:52 PM
Stokeless

yes welcome to the NAVY..IT2 (SW) here...used to be a GM2 i cross rated a while back
Old 05-24-2004 | 07:04 PM
ron
Intermediate

I think you made a great choice! Ours is Milano Red with the Parchment interior including the wood kit. Would have liked the Navigation package but didn't have the patience to wait. We also got the stock chrome wheels and this car really turns the heads. (USN 1972-1978 EM1 last duty USS Gato)
Old 05-24-2004 | 10:04 PM
Racer

Congrats on the commissioning, and welcome to the Navy. I'm in O-side NPS right now, in Goose Creek, SC.
Old 05-24-2004 | 10:50 PM

Hey, thanks all. For those that asked, my first assignment is the Supply Corps Officer Basic Qualification Course at Supply School in Athens, GA. After the 6 month course, I've no idea where I will be headed next.

FT1, my bachelor's is in Accounting, and I promised myself I wouldn't touch this car. I have a very capable shop that worked on my Civic, and I hope they can whip up something similar to the switch you are talking about. I saw the one they have at Radio Shack, and there would be no clean way to install it as it was just too big.

MarkP and Mach58, I forgot to change my sig, I actually have an early 31k, I got a different car than the dealer originally told me. I waited about a month, and was told I had another 1-2 weeks, but then they found the same car at a dealer only 100 miles away, and so I got that one a little early. It was approximately 1 month from signing the deal to delivery though. Also, the seat problem has only happened to me twice, both times when I was busy playing with the Nav and had to brake hard at the last minute (oops). The rest of the time, I haven't noticed anything. I'm hoping it doesn't losen up, as I don't really want to bring the car in for service.

KingV, I know a couple guys going to Power School in a few months, and another guy who just finised up down there. My dad was a bubblehead, and I leaned towards it until my physics teacher ruled it out for me. Oh well. I'm glad I will be using my degree a lot more where I am going, it makes more sense for everyone involved.

I got the car washed finally, and drove it down to the Schuylkill River and took some pics. Later, I was eating at Chilli's, and saw two seriously old couples checking it out..oh well, guess they must be cool for their age!
Old 05-25-2004 | 06:27 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Congrats on your new car. Definitely looks great in red...that was my second choice. :P
Old 05-25-2004 | 06:55 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

welcoem to the boards and congrats on the new purchase!
Old 05-25-2004 | 11:21 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally posted by KingV
Congrats on the commissioning, and welcome to the Navy. I'm in O-side NPS right now, in Goose Creek, SC.
Whoa How do you have time to even be on the computer? I've heard some crazy things about Power School from my nuke buddies. Good luck. When you get to SOBC in Groton let me know. Should be a welcome break for you and if you need help I know my way around a 688I pretty damn well. I can come to upper base and we can compare some TSX notes
Old 05-25-2004 | 11:24 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally posted by Stokeless_TSX
yes welcome to the NAVY..IT2 (SW) here...used to be a GM2 i cross rated a while back
Never would have guessed you were in the Navy You on shore duty right now at a NOC or something? My job is kinda similar to an ITs right now...doing LAN admin stuff
Old 05-25-2004 | 01:58 PM

Originally posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
Whoa How do you have time to even be on the computer? I've heard some crazy things about Power School from my nuke buddies. Good luck. When you get to SOBC in Groton let me know. Should be a welcome break for you and if you need help I know my way around a 688I pretty damn well. I can come to upper base and we can compare some TSX notes
I will actually be TAD'd to SUBSCOL for the month of June. My lease in Philly is up, and I don't report to Athens until July, and my parents live in Gales Ferry, 5 miles from the base. So I figured I'd live at home with them until I report, and work at the base for a friend of a friend, pocketing the BAH. Let me know if you guys will be around Groton, I'd love to meet and chat about the cars.
Old 05-25-2004 | 10:22 PM
Racer

Originally posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
Yeah, Power school sucks. I put in quite a number of hours over class time. Some of the really smart people don't put in shit for hours, unfortunately, I have to fight tooth and nail to stay in the game. Oh well, at least I'm almost 1/3 done now.
Old 05-29-2004 | 08:06 PM
Battousai the Manslayer

Cool...AO2 Here..welcome to the Navy I've been in for 11 years and I get the pleasure of being stationed in Sunny San Diego.

2004 SSM/EB/5AT/No Navi brought home 25 may 04
2003 ABP CL-S 6 Speed Navi Traded in...