Downshifting in SS Mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Downshifting in SS Mode

I was just wondering if you guys who have 5AT downshift usually instead of using the brakes when you're taking turns/corners in SS mode.

Is it bad for the car/transmission to constantlly downshift instead of using the brake turns? I'm wondering if there are long term effects..anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-26-2004, 11:37 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My : brake pads are a lot cheaper & easier to replace than a transmission (or the clutch in my case), so I would use your bakes instead. Its definitely less wear on your transmission, I just dont know how bad the other way is.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Banned

Im 99.9% in SS mode, so I do this alot, Tranny seems to be fine, need some brake work now though, Cars almost 2 years old so makes sence, prob some new pads and sand down the rotors....would love to put on some slotted ones but Im pritty much broke now...
Old 11-26-2004, 11:49 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no idea, but i do drop gears all the time w/the SS

i dunno b/c this is my first auto honda , hopefully it'll live up to the warranty
Old 11-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
If you're coming to a stop, don't use the SS mode to downshift. Let the tranny do it automatically. If you're slowing down to go into a corner, use the SS mode, but don't do it so that it revs into a high rpm.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:31 AM
Racer

Downshifting in SS should cause no more harm, short-term or long-term, than downshifting a manual transmission (perhaps less since you cannot over-rev an engine in SS mode).

The SS in the TSX is terrific (other than the direction). Downshifting will allow better control in curves than using brakes. It can also reduce wear on the brake pads and rotors -- as well as reduce the probability of warped rotors. I am 98 percent SS and will commonly downshift hundreds of times a day. It is very unlikely that I would buy another car without some form of SS.

Being a FWD, and by nature a car that pulls rather than pushes, it helps to navigate a sharp curve by being in a lower gear, and applying some throttle, at the apex of the curve. The SS complements the suspension on the TSX.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:00 AM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
The SS in the TSX is terrific (other than the direction)
Jim, have you seen this link?

Reversing SS
Old 11-27-2004, 05:52 AM
ric
Safety Car

Being a FWD, and by nature a car that pulls rather than pushes, it helps to navigate a sharp curve by being in a lower gear, and applying some throttle, at the apex of the curve. The SS complements the suspension on the TSX.
I learned to do that in rwd cars as well - has to do with maxing the centrifugal (sp?) force at the apex of the curve.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by LannyM
Jim, have you seen this link?

Reversing SS
Thanks, Lanny.

It is my contention that Acura could add a jumper, or a switch, under the shift gate for less than a dollar a car. Then, they could then make replaceable shift gates (apparently made of plastic) available for $10.00 -- $25.00 USD and have one more edge up on the competition -- as well as making more customers happier. A dealer could do the switch for around $50.00 USD (including parts) and make money on it. It would also look original. I would pay the $50.00 in a second.

What is really strange is the SS in the C Class Mercedes. You tap it left and right, rather than forward and backwards, to change gears.

I imagine it gets to be fun for the salespeople, and service people, when some vendor decides to make a wholesale change to the direction of the shifter.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:07 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Downshifting in SS should cause no more harm, short-term or long-term, than downshifting a manual transmission (perhaps less since you cannot over-rev an engine in SS mode).

The SS in the TSX is terrific (other than the direction). Downshifting will allow better control in curves than using brakes. It can also reduce wear on the brake pads and rotors -- as well as reduce the probability of warped rotors. I am 98 percent SS and will commonly downshift hundreds of times a day. It is very unlikely that I would buy another car without some form of SS.

Well I'm probably 10-20% SS, but my main use of it is to hold the car in the correct gear before a turn to accelerate out of it (or to drop into a lower gear to pass someone so I don't have to wait for the tranny to do it on its own). I'm not worried about causing any damage. If it does, it'll be the last auto I ever get, cause I'd be miserable without this capability.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jcg878
... (or to drop into a lower gear to pass someone so I don't have to wait for the tranny to do it on its own)...
Another big benefit to the Sport Shift. I use it often for passing since having the car in a passing gear a couple of seconds before you pull out into the other lane reduces the time needed to pass. It is beneficial, even on multilane roads, when there is traffic in a left lane and you need to "step on it" to get around someone in front of you without holding up the traffic in the lane to the left. I will usually drop a gear or two, and start accelerating, before I change lanes.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:00 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
I can't believe we don't have a powertrain engineer on this forum to chime in. Seems to me that it's common sense: the more you upshift/downshift a transmission the more wear and tear is occuring...especially if you have a habbit of downshifting into the higher rev ranges.

I'd much rather replace front rotors/pads than a new transmission...since I plan on keeping this car for a while. On the flip side, I did purchase a sports sedan...if I just wanted a smooth ride and poke along like Grandma - I'd buy an Avalon.

PistonFan: who loves taking freeway merge ramps at twice the posted speed...and watching another soccer mom who was previously riding my ass in her honking suv dissapear in my rearview.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tsx536
..Is it bad for the car/transmission to constantlly downshift instead of using the brake turns? I'm wondering if there are long term effects..anyone have any ideas?
I don't see why. The auto tranny won't make "mistakes" as it shifts, and it would have shifted down through the same gears while you were braking anyway (same wear-and-tear). I say it doesn't make a difference.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Another big benefit to the Sport Shift. I use it often for passing since having the car in a passing gear a couple of seconds before you pull out into the other lane reduces the time needed to pass. It is beneficial, even on multilane roads, when there is traffic in a left lane and you need to "step on it" to get around someone in front of you without holding up the traffic in the lane to the left. I will usually drop a gear or two, and start accelerating, before I change lanes.

and on a side note, like what CG said, I let it downshift itself to 1st when coming to a stop.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Banned

yeah downshifting to first is a lil rough on the tsx 5at... besides that SS shifts pritty well...just needs a Clutch...
Old 11-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool....guys..thanks for the input. I wasn't thinking it would cause damage, but I wanted to see if others felt the same. I do use the brakes when I wanna stop and I just let it downshift also. My question was really geared towards when you're takin some corners and tryin' to pass.

I just got an Injen intake...so I've been downshifting a lot lately since most of the power is in the mid/upper RPM range. Just wanted to be make sure I wasn't F'in my tranny up.

So do you guys think constantly downshifting does put a lot more wear and tear on the transmission?

I know that the computer also downshifts, but it controls the transmission electronically instead of manually like when we use the sport shifter. Things that are mechanical seem to wear out faster than things that are electronic/software driven.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:50 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MemRheins
Im 99.9% in SS mode, so I do this alot, Tranny seems to be fine, need some brake work now though, Cars almost 2 years old so makes sence, prob some new pads and sand down the rotors....would love to put on some slotted ones but Im pritty much broke now...
why didnt you get a stick instead then?
Old 11-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tsx536
I know that the computer also downshifts, but it controls the transmission electronically instead of manually like when we use the sport shifter. Things that are mechanical seem to wear out faster than things that are electronic/software driven.
I don't think there is much difference between the computer determining when to downshift and you determining when to downshift as far as the transmission is concerned. When you are using the Sport Shifter, I believe you are sending a signal to the computer. The computer, in turn, sends a signal to the solenoids in the transmission to effect a switch in hydraulic pressure causing one clutch to release (the current gear) and another clutch to engage (the new gear). In automatic mode, the computer takes it input from several sensors to determine the shift points. Otherwise, it is about the same.

I would say that it is safe to use the Sport Shifter as much as you like; but try to keep the RPM's below a threshold. For normal driving, my threshold is 4,000 RPM's. On steep slopes, my threshold is 5,500 RPM's. Above that, and I start using brakes.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by STC
why didnt you get a stick instead then?
Problem w/ only owning half the car, my parents didnt think i should have a stick in my first car, minus the fact that i shift my dads car better then he does...
oh well...SS is still fun...and My Mustang...whenever i get it will be a stick...
Old 11-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I don't think there is much difference between the computer determining when to downshift and you determining when to downshift as far as the transmission is concerned. When you are using the Sport Shifter, I believe you are sending a signal to the computer. The computer, in turn, sends a signal to the solenoids in the transmission to effect a switch in hydraulic pressure causing one clutch to release (the current gear) and another clutch to engage (the new gear). In automatic mode, the computer takes it input from several sensors to determine the shift points. Otherwise, it is about the same.

You are not physically moving anything with the SS - just asking the computer for permission to shift. It still considers whether your suggestion is safe or not, it just gives some leeway.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:21 PM
3rd Gear

I also have a new '05 auto with SS. My question is when shifting in manual mode, do you guys take your foot off the gas pedal inbetween shifts like a regular manual or keep foot on during the shifting?
Old 11-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by migs
I also have a new '05 auto with SS. My question is when shifting in manual mode, do you guys take your foot off the accelertor inbetween shifts like a regular manual or keep foot on during the shifting?
keep on accelerator - you're not driving an MT anymore
Old 11-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Team Owner

keep on accelerator - you're not driving an MT anymore
though you can lift slightly to reduce the jolt of the shift.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:48 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
though you can lift slightly to reduce the jolt of the shift.
what, the stupid thing can not power shift???
Old 11-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Suzuka Master

....You are not physically moving anything with the SS - just asking the computer for permission to shift.....
For some reason, this makes me

Old 11-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mg7726
what, the stupid thing can not power shift???

It can, but some people want buttery smooth shifts...