Do your passengers get motion sickness?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do your passengers get motion sickness?

I don't know if it's the way I drive, the suspension, or if my passengers just have week stomaches, but almost everyone that rides in my car gets motion sick. My uncle was the first. He said my headlights made him sick, because they have that distinct cut off line. The next 2 people were my Aunt and my Grandma. My aunt actually threw up when she got home. The last person was my lady friend that I took to the Seattle Acura meet this past Saturday.

Does anyone else have this problem. Granted my car is lowered about 2 inches with Tein SS coils, but am I the only one?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Never heard about this problem before....

Have you considered deodorant?
Old 06-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Were you driving all of these people at night? Did lowering your car stiffen the suspension? If yes to both, then your uncle may have been spot on - depending on where you were driving, your lights - because the TSX doesn't have auto-leveling xenons - could have created a strobe effect that some people are more sensitive to than others, thereby causing nausea.

If not at night, then I'd suspect a combination of the suspension and your driving, as this is the first post of this sort I've seen since I started lurking on TSX boards before the car even came out.

Hope things work out for you.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:52 AM
send me a link to JDM??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Never heard about this problem before....

Have you considered deodorant?

I think it could be the intense beauty of our interior? Lol, everyone focuses on the interior causing the disagreement between the eyes and mind

(side note: thats what causes motion sickness if you weren't sure, if you focus on something in the car your eyes tell you you arn't moving while your body feels motion.)
Old 06-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Guinea Pig

[QUOTE=CGTSX2004Have you considered deodorant? [/QUOTE]

I would rather spend my money on mods for my car!

My uncle felt sick at night. He said it was my lights. And yes, my suspension has been stiffened......coilovers.... The rest of the people were during the day....and you know what....It all happened on hour long trips to Seattle. Hmmmm...
Old 06-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its not the TSX, its YOU.

, kidding...
Old 06-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by CJams
My uncle felt sick at night. He said it was my lights. And yes, my suspension has been stiffened......coilovers.... The rest of the people were during the day....and you know what....It all happened on hour long trips to Seattle. Hmmmm...
I'd still suspect a combination of variables, but one likely suspect is the suspension. I'd try and find other TSXers that have the same type and ideally brand of mod and see if this has happened to their passengers. Other factors include road surface, traffic conditions, weather, time of day, any odors in your car or that flow into your car as you drive, your driving, and your passengers' susceptability to motion sickness. Interesting. I'd love to know if you figure out the cause(s). Again: good luck to you, as I know this may be interesting for us forum readers but not so much to you as you try to figure this out and convince people the TSX is not a barf-machine.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:22 AM
6MT & LSD

maybe it's just some people... you named mostly your family members get motion sickness - 'cept for that "lady friend" of yours. my brother has tein ss & 18"s and i don't recall anyone complaining about getting motion sickness - and michigan has some horrible, bumpy roads.

maybe it's the way you drive?
Old 06-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
My dog gets motion sickness, but that's him. No problem with people. Could be the that road your on or your driving...........
Old 06-13-2005, 11:12 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
It could be your driving style, could be your passenger has a slightly weak stomach, or could be your stiffer suspension and lower profile tires.

I have gotten 2 people motion sick before, none in the TSX though. One time was in a stock Subaru Legacy 2.5GT during auto-x. My wife started getting motion sickness after 2 runs. The other time was in my friend's modded Civic at Streets of Willow. He was busy instructing other people, so he asked me to give a ride to his girlfriend in his car on the track. So I did, and after about 5 or 6 laps, she said that she needed to go back to the pit.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Its your driving style. My wife gets motion sickness only when I'm driving "aggressively". If we take trips and I'm watching for the police, then she is fine.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Think it may be your driving style. Took my TSX for a 4 hr round trip drive the first week I had it, both day and night driving and no complains of motion sickness. I even engaged the i-vtec a couple of times.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Guinea Pig

I guess I will just keep a box of dramamine in the glove box.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Top notch 6MT

No such problem here... but mine's bone stock, so keep that in mind for the lowered suspension possibility.Went on a 2-hr each direction drive last Sat with 2 passengers, so problem whatsoever
Old 06-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[QUOTE=CJams]
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004Have you considered deodorant? :biggrin:[/QUOTE

I would rather spend my money on mods for my car!

maybe its a combination of your suspension and the road conditions in seattle? a lot of elevation changes in downtown seattle streets kinda gives a similiar feeling of a rollercoaster?

im just throwing ideas out there.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Instructor

I guess I will just keep a box of dramamine in the glove box.
WHAT???

Your forgetting about protecting your interior, bring some barf bags, leather wipes, and don't forget to scotch guard your passeger area. Gesh, what sort of TSX owner are you?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Course having been to seattle once or twice. It could just be the fact your driving thru seattle and combination of a sweet ride and the reality of the gloomy surroundings outside is just too much for them.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:59 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by weapon-x
WHAT???

Your forgetting about protecting your interior, bring some barf bags, leather wipes, and don't forget to scotch guard your passeger area. Gesh, what sort of TSX owner are you?
as much as i care about the car, im too lazy to get all those items... i'll stick with the good ol' "tuck-n-roll" method.

lol actually, this reminds me of a "true story" i read in FHM a while back. this guy was driving his buddy home, who was completely wasted.... he seemed like he was passed out, but all of a sudden, he opened the door and slipped out while the car was going 35+ mph.. of course, the friend freaked out and stopped the car and went after his buddy. after finding out that he was fine except for minor bruises and scratches, he asked him what the hell he was thinking. the friend replied: "i felt like i was about to throw up, but i didn't want to get puke in your car"
Old 06-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Instructor

lol actually, this reminds me of a "true story" i read in FHM a while back. this guy was driving his buddy home, who was completely wasted.... he seemed like he was passed out, but all of a sudden, he opened the door and slipped out while the car was going 35+ mph.. of course, the friend freaked out and stopped the car and went after his buddy. after finding out that he was fine except for minor bruises and scratches, he asked him what the hell he was thinking. the friend replied: "i felt like i was about to throw up, but i didn't want to get puke in your car"[/QUOTE]

Slightly different story, two drunk buddies were driving home. Passenger leaned out the window to puke, and ummm.. let's just say he lost his head. Driver kept going, next day neighbors noticed his friend still in the passenger seat so they called the cops. Not as happy an ending as yours.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:25 PM
6MT & LSD

welll... no.. but i just thought i'd make this thread a happy thread with a funny story.

but i guess you'd rather have us feeling sad and miserable with that story. you win.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:56 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
My wife puked inside the Integra once. She told me to pull over, but a bit late. She couldn't hold it and had to puke before I stop. That night, I stripped the car down to clean. I shampoo the entire carpet and let it air dry for several days before I put it back into the car. I also sprayed some fragrance in the car to get rid of the smell. Fortunately, I did that very quick that there was no smell the next morning.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:31 PM
No longer in denial

My sister is preggy and is the hugest hypocrondriac (sp?). She had the nerve to tell me that I had to drive the speed limit when she's in MY car. I packed a puke bag for her just in case, but the ride was so smooth in my TSX she didn't even notice that I was pushin 90 to get her back home and out of my car ASAP
Old 06-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Goldmember

Oh, it's your driving, and my driving that's the problem.

Speed and acceleration isn't the problem. It's what's known in physics as "jerk" that's the problem. You math nerds (maybe us math nerds) will recognize from school that location is the first order, speed is the 2nd order (rate of change in location), acceleration is the 3rd order (rate of change in speed), and jerk is the 4th order of space (rate of change in acceleration). Long story short, people who use the gas pedal and brake too liberally and too fast and too often changing between the two will make anyone car sick. Jerk is also what gives people that "stomach sick" feeling when riding roller coasters. Also, fast turns with breaking into the turn and accelerating out of turns make people more car sick. The easy solution is to tell them to drive themselves.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Goldmember

Originally Posted by weapon-x
Slightly different story, two drunk buddies were driving home. Passenger leaned out the window to puke, and ummm.. let's just say he lost his head. Driver kept going, next day neighbors noticed his friend still in the passenger seat so they called the cops. Not as happy an ending as yours.
I can attest to this story being true. It happened not too long ago. They actually showed the picture. It was a beat up truck and there was a body with a head cut off the body. Apparently the driver drove too close to a power pole bracing metal rope going around a corner and it cleanly cut off the head. The driver was charged with DUI and involuntary manslaughter. Sucks eh?
Old 06-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Guinea Pig

Yep it's me alright! I thought once I got suspension I was aloud to drive like I was in a race. I guess I better lighten up on the Mario Andretti techniques while I have passengers in the car. Seattle has plenty of stop and go traffic. I accelerate and change lanes a bunch to get where I am going. So it is my driving! Just wondering if anyone else had this issue.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by scl23
Oh, it's your driving, and my driving that's the problem.

Speed and acceleration isn't the problem. It's what's known in physics as "jerk" that's the problem. You math nerds (maybe us math nerds) will recognize from school that location is the first order, speed is the 2nd order (rate of change in location), acceleration is the 3rd order (rate of change in speed), and jerk is the 4th order of space (rate of change in acceleration). Long story short, people who use the gas pedal and brake too liberally and too fast and too often changing between the two will make anyone car sick. Jerk is also what gives people that "stomach sick" feeling when riding roller coasters. Also, fast turns with breaking into the turn and accelerating out of turns make people more car sick. The easy solution is to tell them to drive themselves.

From what I remember from highschool physics (LOVE it by the way!)... the 4th order is indeed rate of change in acceleration, but we label it "boost". Our teacher used space rockets as examples though, for those things burning its own weight (rocket fuel) at significant rate, thus resulting in steady increase in the acceleration itself ---> +'ve "boost"
Old 06-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Top notch 6MT

Yep it's me alright! I thought once I got suspension I was aloud to drive like I was in a race. I guess I better lighten up on the Mario Andretti techniques while I have passengers in the car. Seattle has plenty of stop and go traffic. I accelerate and change lanes a bunch to get where I am going. So it is my driving! Just wondering if anyone else had this issue.
Yeah dude, take it easy when there's passenger in your car... that's what I always do too. Oh, and might also wanna take it easy when traffic's around too just
Old 06-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Oh, and might also wanna take it easy when traffic's around too just
There's no such thing as no traffic around here! You need suspension to survive around here.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Top notch 6MT

There's no such thing as no traffic around here! You need suspension to survive around here.
Yeah... I've been in and through downtown Seattle, I can understand

Just be careful
Old 06-15-2005, 08:29 AM
Race Director

only if they want to walk.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:18 PM
7th Gear

Navi?

Hey all!

Long time lurker first time poster. Hoepfully getting an 06 TSX when they come out anyway...

Do you have navigation? Some people have a problem viewing images on screen while in a car. If so do you leave the gps "map" up which constantly scrolls as you move? Its a common problem, some people cannot read in the car because of this.

Just a thought
Old 06-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
That's true, I can't read while in a car..........I get But I have no problem watching the Navi..........