Did you settle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003 | 07:28 AM
Race Director

Did you settle?

While my next car purchase is not iminent, I'm debating on if I should settle for something less than my ideal car. I mean if you had to do it over again and money was no object (within reason, lets say 40-50K) what would you get? I am in that position and debating.
My ideal car would be:
1. 4dr, mid-sized sedan, MT
2. RWD
3. 0-60 8 s or less
4. Milage at least 20 city/ 30 hwy
5. Pleasing looks
Unlike most folks I don't compare cars to cars for features (like people saying the TL is not in the same "class" as the BMW530) but I look for the features in the car against my needs. So I could care less that car A has feature X while on car B that's optional because in most cases I would buy the other base car anyway (the "comparably" equipped argument never works for me because I would probably never "comparably" equip my car).
Unfortunately for me the needs listed in 1-4 usually put the car in the "luxury" category. Mind you, if I could get the above in a good looking Kia I would care less who made it. And of course number 5 there is very subjective. There are some cars that I would not even consider based on item 5 alone (like Volvo, Saab, Jag, most Fords, Chrysler, GM (except CTS which fails item 4 miserably), Kia, VW). I mean the only thing missing from my 99 Accord is item # 2 (although I think the previous version 94-97 was better looking - I think someone correctly described the new US Accord as being beat with an ugly stick).
Then of course there's the dilema of how much is item 5 worth. If you got car A and car B both of which meet items 1-4, and A is better looking than B but A is $xK more than B, how much x is worth getting A?
So if I start settling, I figure I give up item 2 and get a TSX. But with cars such as the new RL (supposedly RWD) Nissan Fuga and Lexus LFS (too bad the current GS doesn't come with MT), A6 (if available in RWD) on the horizon maybe there's hope. Or I can settle somewhat on looks and get a new 530 (meets 1-4 and drives real nice). It's nice to have plenty of time to comtemplate.
Old 10-31-2003 | 08:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Those are some pretty restrictive requirements. By the official numbers, the TSX doesn't even meet your fuel economy specs (in MT form--21/29). I'm pretty sure the 530 won't, either. How do you feel about AWD?

I know it's not midsize, and it's far from meeting your gas mileage requirement, but for that money I'd get an Audi S4
Old 10-31-2003 | 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Its great to have some criteria to judge "the next car" but a big part about buying a car is being flexible.

My take on the TSX was this, I wanted a 330Ci and could've done it. I've driven nothing but German cars and loved my old 1989 325i. However, I just didn't like the nickel and dime job BMW was giving me on options. They were simply not dealing. My buddy convinced me to drive the TSX. Now, I definitely didn't want a 4 banger or FWD. After driving it and now that I own it, I've been very pleased.

Depending upon how flexible you are, the TSX/TL do and don't fit. It sounds to me you want the 530i, so go for it. That car is highly rated, but do yourself the favor, drive it and then immediately drive the TL afterward. You might find yourself merely in a bidding war with the sales people. That is a very cherry place to be.
Old 10-31-2003 | 09:08 AM
Race Director

Amazingly the 530s milage numbers are 20city/30hwy. Actually the milage numbers that matter the most are the city numbers because that's where the overall numbers usually gravitate in normal suburbia driving. Most cars can get over 30mpg at steady hwy speeds. Even my 1970 Olds Cutlass got in the hi 20s on the hwy (that's from a 5.7 L engine). It seems like every year milage numbers go up until you make a comparison like that.
AWD just adds weight and maintenance issues - I might as well settle for FWD.
The new A6 looks good but it's the "Acura " of VW and unless it has RWD I'd be settling. The one thing I can't settle on is item #1, the family must fit and I must have my MT.
Old 10-31-2003 | 09:16 AM
Cruisin'

I've been looking for about two years for a new car:

Buy the 04 Honda Accord EX MT for 22,500. You get everything except RWD but Honda does such a good job of concealing FWD that for most it doesn't matter (granted, it can't duplicate lighting up the rear tires with a RWD and sliding around a corner - but how often do you do that - I used to in my 5.0L Mustang).

I notice sport-driving is not on your list (if so the Accord comes off). If so, the Infinity G35 is the car (RWD, reasonable gas mileage, 6MT, spacious, sport suspension) for about 10K more.

For a 25K premium, get yourself a new 530 and be done with it. The older I get and the more wealth I save, the more frugal I become. It all depends on priorities, if you have the money to buy the 530 and still go on vacations to Italy, Barbados, Hawaii, and Thailand - then go for it. For me, the vacation money is paramount so anything over 33K gets to be a tough sell.

After looking at everything - I'm down to the Saab 9-3, Honda product (Accord, TSX, TL), and a 2002 530i. Living in Cleveland, the RWD is a definite negative. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2003 | 09:17 AM
Race Director

Unfortunately until I get back to the US I won't have a chance to test drive the TL. The test drive of a Euro Accord is enough to convince me that it's a great car. I also need as much space as possible and somehow the TSX trunk is listed bigger than the TL. What happened to the 2 cu ft of trunk space when they turned the Accord into a TL? Heck even the rear leg room is listed less on the TL compared with the US Accord.
Old 10-31-2003 | 09:21 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Re: Did you settle?

Originally posted by biker
But with cars such as the new RL (supposedly RWD)
No way, we'll be lucky to see AWD on the new RL.

G35?. The only requirement is does'nt satisfy is the fuel consumption. But good luck finding a car that meets all those requirements. I'd say get the TL and be done with it.
Old 10-31-2003 | 09:26 AM
Race Director

Actually I was in Italy two weeks ago but then again it's only a few hours drive away (cruising down the Autostrada at 90mph in my US Accord (which stands out like a sore thumb) sure was fun). There are two problems with the current Accord. One, as I said someone beat it with an ugly stick and two it's no better than my 99. That's another problem (a good one to have for Honda) the Accord is so damn good who would want anything else/more (if you can get over the looks)?
Actually I was quite impressed with the G35 but the abysmal milage has me waiting. I assume the same engine will be available in the new Fuga and that's better looking than the G35.
Old 10-31-2003 | 09:31 AM
Cruisin'

I think some of the loss in the TL compared to the US Accord is the seat make up. The TL has a substantial front seat that has a large back on it. I'm 6'2" and I can fit comfortably in both the driver and corresponding back seat (behind the driver) in the TL.

Unfortunately, the TL does not have a fold-down rear seat so that is a consideration for me (whereas the Accord and TSX does). For me, the TL starts to get a little clausterphobic due to the large A, B, and C pillars. My wife (who is 5') surprisingly felt the same way when she sat in the TL.

Other than memory seats, the TSX is a fantastic car. Although based on the Accord (Euro) platform, it definitely has a different feel vs. the Accord (sportier which is borne out in the skidpad numbers - I think the Accord is rated somewhere around .74 and the TSX is something like .82).

Somehow, the TSX has a bigger backseat feel to me than the numbers suggests (especially compared to the BMW 3 or Audi A4). I was comfortable in the driver's seat and corresponding back seat in the TSX.

Surprisingly, I felt more comfortable overall in the TSX vs. the TL. The TL's ride was a little harsher (for me-subjective) and is more constricting (view problems) than the TSX. I like the wide-open feel in the TSX cockpit. Just my .02.

I bet my finalists will be the TSX and the Saab 9-3 (which shocks me cause I never thought I'd be attracted to the Saab but the driving position is really comfortable).
Old 10-31-2003 | 09:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Nope, Fuga (new M45) gets the 4.5 Litre V8 found in the current M45 and Q45. And even if it did get the 3.5LVQ, the mileage would probly be worse than it is in the G.
Old 10-31-2003 | 09:45 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

The one thing I can't settle on is item #1, the family must fit and I must have my MT.
Well, if you're willing to spend up to $50k, why not buy two vehicles: a minivan (possibly CPOd) and an S2k. This combination would fulfill all your requirements, right?
Old 11-01-2003 | 11:12 AM
Pro

Re: Did you settle?

1. 4dr, mid-sized sedan, MT
2. RWD
3. 0-60 8 s or less
4. Milage at least 20 city/ 30 hwy
5. Pleasing looks
I think you are going to have to rank these in order of importance if they are not already. If you don't get all 5 things, which one are you willing to bend on. Setting all of my personal preferances aside and just focusing on your list, I would think the Infiniti G35 would be your best bet. If you want to spend a little more, the New 5-Series is one hell of a car, I am just not over excited about the design yet. And if you can get over your AWD thing, the Audi A6 is a very nice car too. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-01-2003 | 11:50 AM
Race Director

I won't settle on item #1. As I said if I'm willing to give up item 2 then the TSX is probably the winner. Yes the G35 would be an obvious choice but only if something is done about the horrible gas milage (the 04 seem to be getting better milage than older models). On the new 5 series I have warm up to the looks and the fact that even if I can get it for $40K it's 13K more than the TSX. I looked at the A6 numbers again and it just doesn't make sense - the only MT is the 2.7L turbo w/AWD. That car weighs 3800lbs and it close to $40K.
Old 11-01-2003 | 12:34 PM
Advanced

If money wasn't an object I would have probably gotten an RX-330.

I'm paying for it, so it's TSX
Old 11-01-2003 | 12:45 PM
Pro

I won't settle on item #1. As I said if I'm willing to give up item 2 then the TSX is probably the winner. Yes the G35 would be an obvious choice but only if something is done about the horrible gas milage (the 04 seem to be getting better milage than older models). On the new 5 series I have warm up to the looks and the fact that even if I can get it for $40K it's 13K more than the TSX. I looked at the A6 numbers again and it just doesn't make sense - the only MT is the 2.7L turbo w/AWD. That car weighs 3800lbs and it close to $40K.
Well it sounds like value is a factor then and it will be hard to beat the looks/value combination of the TSX. However, it is FWD and the under 8 second # has been debated here since this site opened. Most people here think the TSX is a 7.2, most magazines list it at 8.1... Each of these cars have something that make it great. We all know that the TSX's market appeal is that you get a lot of features and looks for a good price and it is more than likely going to be a very reliable car. It wasn't built to be fast, it wasn't built to get 50mpg, it was built to be "good" at everything, but not the "best" at anything.