Dash Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004 | 10:56 PM
Racer

Dash Shudder

I dont really have all these rattle problems everyone else complains about... Or maybe I do and just dont notice them because imo, all cars have some sort of rattle. Anyway, the one thing ive noticed on my car since the day i drove it home from the dealer is that over some bumps, or if i have a rough start (mt), i hear this shudder on the drivers side dashboard right around the vent area. Anyone else have this problem, and if so, any ideas on how to fix it? thanks
Old 03-17-2004 | 06:15 PM
Racer

o come on people... ive heard complaints about everything from a door rattle to the way the doors sound when they shut, and nobody else has a shudder noise in their dashboard?
Old 03-18-2004 | 06:42 PM
Racer

Old 03-18-2004 | 08:22 PM
Photography Nerd

It looks like you're on your own for this one.

Does it make a squeeking noise or does it sound like something is loose?
Old 03-19-2004 | 11:09 AM
Team Owner

Was this more of a squeak? Could you be more descriptive of the sound? What were the weather conditions?

I ask all these questions because I have a similar sound that goes away when the temperature rises. The dealer confirmed this in saying that when the temperature is relatively cool, the pieces have a little space to move and may rub against each other.
Old 03-19-2004 | 11:37 AM
Racer

Originally posted by mrcenzo
o come on people... ive heard complaints about everything from a door rattle to the way the doors sound when they shut, and nobody else has a shudder noise in their dashboard?
I can't tell for sure from your description, but it may be the windshield cowling issue that several of us have discussed previously. In my case, it was worst when the temp got below 65 degrees. When the noise gets really bad, try running some water over the windshield wiper/cowling area, and then go for a spin. I'd bet the noises disappear. Some guys were able to get rid of the noise just by pressing on the cowling, but I ended up putting some weatherstripping tape between it and the windshield, which reduced the noise almost completely.

Many of us have also had a dashboard-rubbing-windshield noise, which can also be fixed with some insulating tape. Try a search for more info.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2004 | 11:55 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Are you sure its not coming from your streeting wheel? Cuz if so I have the same problem.
Old 03-20-2004 | 06:05 PM
Racer

no its not the windshield, and its not temperature related... It just makes it over certain bumps or road imperfections... Also, It sounds like its comming from the dash right around the tweater/vent location, but it could very well be from the steering wheel. Im not able to pinpoint it, but it does sound like the steering wheel could be the culprit. It doesnt sound like a squeak, it literally makes the sort of noise as if a small screw was rolling around in a plastic cup, but i can tell its not a loose screw or anything. And if i start out in 1st gear and let the car vibrate a little, it makes this shuddering noise in the EXACT same areaa/ Any ideas? Im not bringing it to the dealersihp and im not taking my dash apart for this. Ive learned my lesson because on my last honda i asked the dealer to look at a few rattles and whenever the panels or dash is removed or tampered with, it eventually just makes noises worse in the longrun. I was just wondering if anyone else had this perticular rattle and any idea on how to fix it. And if anyone had it fixed, can you say how you/the dealer fixed it as opposed to just letting us know that it doesnt rattle anymore...
Old 03-20-2004 | 06:37 PM
CDR
Instructor

I have a noise matching your description that I (and others) described as a "dashboard creak," I'd suggest you search here on that topic for descriptions and fixes.

My car's "dashboard creak" showed up more when the temperature was 45 deg F and lower, but not exclusively. Happens on bumps and rough roads. In my car's case, the major cause is the molding strips going along the front windshield and onto the roof bouce around, and the rubber on the strip rubs on the front windshield. The sound appears to come from the dashboard closer to the center of the car, but it's just the conducted noise (and isn't the dashboard at all). I can reproduce it while sitting in the car -- lower the window, stick my hand out, flex the end of the molding, and listen to the sound it makes. Easy to try.

Fix for this? I tried pressing down on the molding strip end, and that mostly worked. Anything that makes the rubber strip slide smoothly over the windshield (e.g. vinyl conditioner) would probably help. But I think the real fix is to firmly secure the molding end so that it doesn't bounce around, which I've been waiting for Honda/Acura to come up with.
Old 03-20-2004 | 08:52 PM
Racer

Hmmmm, if you can get it to make the noise consistantly, I'd take it back to the dealer and see what the mechanic says before self medicating.