Costco premium gas stinks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costco premium gas stinks!

Since I'm a member of Costco and saw that their premium was only 2.89 today I decided to fill up rather than my usual BP Ultimate. Gosh after I gased the TSX up, I did notice a difference in performance and power when I started driving after 5 mins. Costco premium is nowhere near as good as BP ultimate. BP ultimate right now is 3.04. So, I guess you really do get what you pay for. Now, I want to drive my car enough until it starts to lose gas so that I can fill it up with BP ultimate again. I haven't used Shell V-power, has anyone used that yet?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's interesting. I always get gas from BJ's Wholesale Club (store similar to Costco) 'cause it's cheaper.

I wonder if there really is a difference.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I use shell vpower on my 02 Kawsaki Ninja zx9 and never had any problems.

Honestly, I really cant feel the difference between any of the big oil companies.

I think its all ads and getting in your head.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used Costco gas ONCE, and will never go back there.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mickey513
I used Costco gas ONCE, and will never go back there.
There's been no trouble with Costco gas here in the San Diego area as far as I can tell but they are holding the line with Arco recently so I might as well go to the closer Arco. The only issue I have with Costco gas is that the gas truck is always there whenever I am there so either a lot of sediment is getting stirred up in the tank or there's not much sediment because the dang station tank is always getting refilled.

And I agree with the person who said he can tell a slight difference - when I use Chevron it feels like the car accellerates much better - using other brands I experience slight hesitations sometimes.

Now that premium is edging into the $2.90-3.00 range I am having to go back to a diet of Arco. (Which is really BP in disguise).
Old 08-20-2005, 09:56 AM
Race Director

i guess i'm not the only one
Old 08-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Faster, please.

Has anyone else seen the list of "top tier" gasolines from Honda? I've never heard of most on the list except Shell, Chevron, and 76, and Shell is the only one available around here. Does it really make a difference or are the car companies just in bed with those oil companies?
Old 08-20-2005, 10:51 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Costco gas is fine here in St. Louis, MO too. It runs great in my S2000. Their premium here is 93 octane when most places around here seem to be just 92. What I like is that our Costco never raises prices more than a few cents a day. So when you see the normal stations jack their prices up 10, 15, or even 20 cents in one day you know you to get gas at Costco in the next day or two. I once paid the same for premium at Costco as the other stations were charging for regular!

It would ne nice to know from whom Costco is buying their gas. I bet it varies from region to region.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Faster, please.

Nevermind. I just read more about it. It sucks that most of the gas stations around here are not considered top tier. I have to go out of my way to get to a shell station.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:07 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

From the stuff I've read about "top tier" gasolines, it sounds like more of a marketing ploy.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Racer

shell + alaskan oil ftw
Old 08-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Cruisin'

I saw a special on "modern marvels" on the History channel and there is NO difference on the gasoline because they are ALL hauled from the same pipes throughout the US. As a matter of fact Shell gas in Louisiana can actually be more different than Shell gas in Massachusetts. They say the only difference among the brands is the additives they add. But aside from that, the gas from Costco, Shell, Chevron in your local neighborhood are probably virtually identical (assuming you are using the same grade).
Old 08-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
I buy my gas from Safeway, but once in a while I buy Chevron, and I can feel the difference, but not enough to switch.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kalifmcs
I saw a special on "modern marvels" on the History channel and there is NO difference on the gasoline because they are ALL hauled from the same pipes throughout the US. As a matter of fact Shell gas in Louisiana can actually be more different than Shell gas in Massachusetts. They say the only difference among the brands is the additives they add. But aside from that, the gas from Costco, Shell, Chevron in your local neighborhood are probably virtually identical (assuming you are using the same grade).
i saw the same thing.... ppl that think theres a difference are just paranoid
Old 08-21-2005, 01:28 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by STL
From the stuff I've read about "top tier" gasolines, it sounds like more of a marketing ploy.
Seriously doubt it, pump the gas from you mom & pop station compared to one of these "top teir gas" stations and you can "feel" the difference.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:37 AM
Because Of You

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Since I'm a member of Costco and saw that their premium was only 2.89 today I decided to fill up rather than my usual BP Ultimate. Gosh after I gased the TSX up, I did notice a difference in performance and power when I started driving after 5 mins. Costco premium is nowhere near as good as BP ultimate. BP ultimate right now is 3.04. So, I guess you really do get what you pay for. Now, I want to drive my car enough until it starts to lose gas so that I can fill it up with BP ultimate again. I haven't used Shell V-power, has anyone used that yet?

I applied the Discover 5% Cash Back Gas Card. Last month I got $16 back. Not bad.

And for the gas, I have tried Mobile, Chevon, Shell, and 76. All work good except Mobile. Everytime I fill it up with Mobile, I feel that the car doesn't run as smooth as the other gas. Among this 4, Chevon is the best. But... maybe it is only in my head though.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:49 AM
Because Of You

Originally Posted by twizta
i saw the same thing.... ppl that think theres a difference are just paranoid
Let me see if this makes sense to anybody.
Name brand stations who charge more may (and just may) maintain their equipments better than the other individual owned gas stations.

So... the cheap gas stations may be pumping dirty gasoline with water and dirt and crap like that into your car. They may rarely change their filters... etc...

On the other hand, name brand stations may have people go there to inspect this and that to limit the chance that people may sue them. (remember Shell?)
Old 08-21-2005, 02:09 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bz268
Let me see if this makes sense to anybody.
Name brand stations who charge more may (and just may) maintain their equipments better than the other individual owned gas stations.

So... the cheap gas stations may be pumping dirty gasoline with water and dirt and crap like that into your car. They may rarely change their filters... etc...

On the other hand, name brand stations may have people go there to inspect this and that to limit the chance that people may sue them. (remember Shell?)

Right, but gas between the name brands/top tier is the same stuff.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:31 AM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
i tried V-power, its advertised to be developed by ferrari and all that. but i had an empty tank and decided to try 1/4 tank with it. the tsx drove like crap with it. never using it again. i ususally use esso. theres no low end troque with the vpower and the revs climbed slowly.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Race Director

i actually tried v-power yesterday, it did have a smoother acceleration, but i'm going back to BP ultimate again.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I buy gas from Vons (yes, the supermarket). They discount their gas 3 cents/gallon for Card Club Members so their gas is always 1 or 2 cents lower than anyone elses in my area. I've never had problems with them and I can't tell the difference between Vons gas and ARCO.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I've used the SAMS club gas.......and didn't notice any performance difference.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Go BOLTS!

Originally Posted by jlukja
I buy gas from Vons (yes, the supermarket). They discount their gas 3 cents/gallon for Card Club Members so their gas is always 1 or 2 cents lower than anyone elses in my area. I've never had problems with them and I can't tell the difference between Vons gas and ARCO.
jlukja- I've never seen or heard of Vons gas! Where do you fill up? I live in the S.Bay, but head to the LBC almost every week. Will check it out (and use the Card!)
Old 08-22-2005, 02:43 PM
HOWARD911S

only CHEVRON all the way baby....
Old 08-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chargergrrl
jlukja- I've never seen or heard of Vons gas! Where do you fill up? I live in the S.Bay, but head to the LBC almost every week. Will check it out (and use the Card!)
There are two that I know of. One is on the Los Coyotes Diagonal just north/west of the traffic circle (same block as the Krispy Kreme). The one where I fill up is near Woodruff and Carson, about 300yds. north of the intersection on Woodruff on the east side ( I guess that technically could be Lakewood and not Long Beach). This second one is generally 2-3cents cheaper than the one near the traffic circle.

BTW, if you're not familiar with the traffic circle, its a roundabout where Pacific Coast Hwy., Lakewood Blvd. and Los Coyotes Diagonal all meet.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Advanced

I almost always get my gas from Stop&Shop... Despite the gas being the 'cheapest' I don't really see a dramatic mileage difference.. (I usually avg in the 25s..)
Old 08-22-2005, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Most gas stations get their gas from the same refineries. What sets gas brands apart is typically the additives (like Techron) that do things like clean out your engine, give better performance, etc...

I heard it recommended that if you want the cheaper gas, that you should fill up with a top-tier brand every now and then to clean out the engine, or use your own additive like some people do.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Faster, please.

Originally Posted by Brain
Most gas stations get their gas from the same refineries. What sets gas brands apart is typically the additives (like Techron) that do things like clean out your engine, give better performance, etc...

I heard it recommended that if you want the cheaper gas, that you should fill up with a top-tier brand every now and then to clean out the engine, or use your own additive like some people do.
This is what I've read as well - that the "top tier" companies add more or better detergents to keep the engine cleaner. You bring up a good point though - would it be just as good to add a bottle of additive every so often and not worry about what brand of gas you use?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:14 AM
NewBee

resurecting this thread:

My friend who just got a Lexus is250 fills up at costco. he swears there is no difference with V-Power. i still fill up at shell for v-power and just recently put in costco 93 because it was so cheap ($3.28 vs $3.45). I'll let you guys know if i feel anything different or if MPG is worse. My friend use to fill up at Shell but since becoming a member at Costco and living 5 mins from the place he says he goes there everytime. so far so good he said. He even asked the store manager who in turn said its the same gas as everyone else's w/o the additives that say shell has. So whatever that means...
Old 07-21-2006, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
When I took my roadtrip, I started with a full tank of Costco gas and got the best MPG's out of that tank, it was slightly less with the tankful of Chevron gas on the return trip??? I have never had a problem with Costco gas and would rather give them my money instead of Arco, BP, Chevron or Shell.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It all comes from the same distribution center so its all in your head. It just depends whose truck it goes into. You can buy Exxon gas but have it come from a Citgo plant.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Racer

http://www.toptiergas.com/

I only use Shell.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
True, all gas is the same in regard to the base. They're all made from oil in the ground, they explode when ignited, etc.

What sets them apart is the additive. Gas does not burn completely. Deposits are left behind. The molecular make-up of the deposit that's left behind changes depending on what gas you put into the car. Additives are there to clean out that deposit. However, the additives can't really clean everything out (some deposits are still left behind). That's why when you momentarily change gas stations, you'll notice the difference. The new additive is able to clean out what your previous gas couldn't do.

I bought a $30k car. People say to use Premium even though the TSX can take Regular since I paid so much for the car. Now why should I settle for a cheaper gas company's mixture (of additives)?

I alternate with 76 and Chevron for my TSX (my other cars get to use Mobil).

This chemist worked for a major oil company, and did an analysis. He agrees with me: http://vettenet.org/octane.html

Oh, and to confirm the posts above, he's a quick excerpt...

Some of you probably know this, others may be shocked by it. Oil companies swap base gasoline all the time. Let's say I have a refinery in Houston and you have one in Dallas. It makes little sense for me to truck my Houston gasoline to Dallas and for you to truck your gasoline from Dallas to Houston when gasoline is a commodity product. So, I let you draw 100,000 gallons of base gasoline from my storage tank in Houston for your Houston gas stations, and you let me draw 100,000 gallons of base gasoline from your Dallas holding tanks for my Dallas gas stations. That way, we both save on shipping. Yup, Texaco gasoline may have come from a Shell refinery and vice-versa. At a gasoline terminal you may see trucks from up to six different companies all loading at the SAME terminal (that for example may be supplied exclusively by Shell). What comes next, however, is what makes Texaco Texaco and Shell Shell. Additive. Each company has its own additive and adds it to the base gasoline. So while the base gasoline may be the same, the additive is different, and hence the brand of gasoline you use is different because of the additive, not the base gasoline.

Which additive is better?:
Given the above discourse, it's obvious that we all want the gasoline with the best additive.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:42 PM
NewBee

i guess i should stick to Shell, it makes me feel better anyway, haha. I like their additive and i know its talked up but...... i wonder what costco 93 has in it if anything...
Old 07-21-2006, 01:48 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI, here is another thread / discussion with regards to Costco gas. Note the comment made on post #24.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:56 PM
NewBee

nice thanks!
Old 07-21-2006, 02:17 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by JPTL-S
FYI, here is another thread / discussion with regards to Costco gas. Note the comment made on post #24.
Yes, the most important words in that post are "w/o the additives."
Old 07-21-2006, 02:29 PM
2nd Gear

When we purchased our 06 TSX 2 months ago the Acura dealer went out of their way to let us know several times not to run Costco fuel. They stated numerous local owners reported problems with their Acura's after filling up at Costco.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you take into consideration....

The changes in Ambient Temperature, Relative Humidity, Barometric Pressure, Rain event, Traffic conditions, in your numbers between tanks?

Sounds like a lot of this is in the head of the driver....unless someone knows of a test site; there probably is not a huge difference between gas and additives to be seriously noticeable unless you dropped to 87 octane.

glta
Old 07-21-2006, 03:30 PM
06-NBP

I thought all gas came from the same refinery and gas companies just put in additives. Didn't Acura/Honda design the engine to run on 91 octane. There are so many different gas companies out their with their "additives", I don't think they designed it for just particular brand of gas.

For costco gas being so "cheap", I talked to one of the attendants there and he said they sell the gas at cost. The average shopper at costco spends $200 there which covers a lot of the expenses. IMO, all gas is the same.

Quick Reply: Costco premium gas stinks!