Costco premium gas stinks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 04:31 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used Costco gas quite a bit over the last several years without any problems. It was before I got my TSX, but their gas worked fine in my Hondas and Toyotas. I asked by friend who's a car mechanic, and he recommended mixing up where you buy gas so I don't use them all that often now. Also now that my Discover gives me 5% back on all gas purchases, I can get gas cheaper elsewhere.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
see that's the thing everyone seems to agree that the gasoline is the same, which for the most part it is. The difference is the ADDITIVES, which is what establishes a good gas and a bad gas, the recent trend has been for oil companies to use less additives and detergents because they are much more expensive that just pure gasoline, however when you burn gas there are by products that create build up on your engine parts it has yet still to be seen which elements in raw gasoline contribute to this effect. So far the only way to keep build up at bay is the use of detergents and additives, so while using say shell gasoline you may feel no power gain versus the cheap watery crap at costco, but when your engine hits 200,000 miles the one that only burned shell will still be running like its new and the one that gets costco gas will run like shit, burn more fuel in the process and have much less power due to valves not sealing properly and terrible injector spray.

The whole idea of running a "top teir gas" is to maintain your engines clean state and minimize these buildups, its basically protecting your investment, you wax your car once or twice a year to keep it looking great right, so why wouldn't you spend an extra 20 cents a gallon to keep it running as good as it looks. You bought a 4000 dollar engine it's just does not make any sense to me to chince 1.20 on a tank of gas because you feel you are saving money, haha those are just dilutions in your head, you might save a 1.20 a tank but at the end of the year your maintenace costs + loss in mileage will more than make up the difference in cost per gallon. Sorry for the RANT everyone but i had to put in my 2 cents and try to educate others.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by The Dougler
see that's the thing everyone seems to agree that the gasoline is the same, which for the most part it is. The difference is the ADDITIVES, which is what establishes a good gas and a bad gas, the recent trend has been for oil companies to use less additives and detergents because they are much more expensive that just pure gasoline, however when you burn gas there are by products that create build up on your engine parts it has yet still to be seen which elements in raw gasoline contribute to this effect. So far the only way to keep build up at bay is the use of detergents and additives, so while using say shell gasoline you may feel no power gain versus the cheap watery crap at costco, but when your engine hits 200,000 miles the one that only burned shell will still be running like its new and the one that gets costco gas will run like shit, burn more fuel in the process and have much less power due to valves not sealing properly and terrible injector spray.

The whole idea of running a "top teir gas" is to maintain your engines clean state and minimize these buildups, its basically protecting your investment, you wax your car once or twice a year to keep it looking great right, so why wouldn't you spend an extra 20 cents a gallon to keep it running as good as it looks. You bought a 4000 dollar engine it's just does not make any sense to me to chince 1.20 on a tank of gas because you feel you are saving money, haha those are just dilutions in your head, you might save a 1.20 a tank but at the end of the year your maintenace costs + loss in mileage will more than make up the difference in cost per gallon. Sorry for the RANT everyone but i had to put in my 2 cents and try to educate others.
What a bunch of crap. Does your dad work for shell or something?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:05 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldguytsxer
The changes in Ambient Temperature, Relative Humidity, Barometric Pressure, Rain event, Traffic conditions, in your numbers between tanks?

Sounds like a lot of this is in the head of the driver....unless someone knows of a test site; there probably is not a huge difference between gas and additives to be seriously noticeable unless you dropped to 87 octane.

glta
I like how you think... and I agree with you 100%

Gas (at least I know for California) has to have a certain amount of additives to it. It's a regulation thing. Look under sections 2257 or rather look at here. I think it was part of an air compliance thing with California because it was in violation or something like that and as part of the plan to reduce air pollution, was to recommend certain additives to gas. Propeitary gas comes from the different additives, as you all have said.

But...my opinion is you're better off to just use whatever gas you like. I personally would choose a station who I believe is conforming by replacing the filters in their pumps on a regular basis and I see an inspection sticker next to the nozzle. Then BEFORE (not after) doing an oil change, run a complete tank with a fuel cleaner like Techron.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Since I'm a member of Costco and saw that their premium was only 2.89 today I decided to fill up rather than my usual BP Ultimate. Gosh after I gased the TSX up, I did notice a difference in performance and power when I started driving after 5 mins. Costco premium is nowhere near as good as BP ultimate. BP ultimate right now is 3.04. So, I guess you really do get what you pay for. Now, I want to drive my car enough until it starts to lose gas so that I can fill it up with BP ultimate again. I haven't used Shell V-power, has anyone used that yet?
I'm guess i'm not the only one that noticed it too. I pump Costco gas ONCE in my life and will never go back. I pumped the premium into my car and I can tell you, it felt like the car had no power. I quicky got rid of that tank of gas and pumped by my usual, Shell or Chevron superunlead....... NEVER again will I get Costco gas, unless it's a emergency w/ no other gas station nearby.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AamirCWITR
http://www.toptiergas.com/

I only use Shell.
Same here, only Shell or Chevron.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Dougler
The difference is the ADDITIVES, which is what establishes a good gas and a bad gas, the recent trend has been for oil companies to use less additives and detergents because they are much more expensive that just pure gasoline, however when you burn gas there are by products that create build up on your engine parts it has yet still to be seen which elements in raw gasoline contribute to this effect. So far the only way to keep build up at bay is the use of detergents and additives . . .
The whole idea of running a "top teir gas" is to maintain your engines clean state and minimize these buildups

I learned the hard way. I used to think that it didn't matter and all gas was the same. I used Costco gas for the bulk of fill-ups with a VW Passat with a 1.8T engine (a finicky engine that eventually imploded but that is a different story). After 25,000 miles I had to pay for an engine cleaning because of deposit build-up (it was hestitating and sputtering), and I talked with the service department about gasoline and additives (they recommended Shell or Chevron). I've talked to others in the oil and gas industry since to try to educate myself since information about this topic appears limited.

Top Tier gas was created by Honda and others because those companies believed that the government was not moving fast enough to require detergents/additives in gasoline. It is my understanding that the top tier list also ticked several companies off, including Exxon (I found that in a BMW thread, but I can't find it again now). True, to qualify as a top tier gas only requires a certification by the company that the gas contains a certain amount of addivitives, but it is better than no guide at all.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Here is a presentation on Top Tier Fuels given to Sigma (google cache):

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:U...s&ct=clnk&cd=2

I think it does a good job of explaining the program, why created, and what it takes for certification.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Instructor

And here is a copy of a KC Star article regarding the feud between Automakers and Gas Companies:

http://www.sa22c.org/cat_12/39127/

That article also describes the EPA standards issue.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:53 PM
10th Gear

Chevron

For those naysayers who believe people only think that there is a difference in gasoline (for performance purposes), go try running on crap gas like ARCO or Costco for a few months and then switch to a top-tier gas. You'll feel the difference. If you believe that this is only a self-fulfilled prophecy, I invite you to ask a friend to drive your car around for a while before you fill up on the top-tier gas and ask them casually if they feel any difference after your fill-up. I say this because on a ride on the I-5 in California, my roommate who was driving asked me what station I think he should fill up at and I told him Chevron. After filling up, he told me himself, without me hinting anything at gas performance, that he felt improved acceleration for some reason and that his car was running more smoothly. He drives a Civic hathback just to let you know. The first time I noticed, I was driving a Corolla. I don't know if this only affects low-hp cars, but I suspect that it should affect all cars quite equally, especially ones that recommend premium.