Considering trading in Accord V6 6spd for TSX 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004 | 05:53 AM
7th Gear

Considering trading in Accord V6 6spd for TSX 6spd

I currently own an Accord coupe V6 6spd and love the refinement and power. However, I'm looking for something with a little more room. Has anyone went from an Accord 6spd to a TSX 6spd? I know the TSX has some nice things the Accord doesnt such as HIDs, better handling, etc....but do those things outweigh the obvious power deficit? BTW, I'm looking at a non-navi model since I'm pretty good with directions and maps (lol).
Old 12-17-2004 | 05:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by cammyfive
I currently own an Accord coupe V6 6spd and love the refinement and power. However, I'm looking for something with a little more room. Has anyone went from an Accord 6spd to a TSX 6spd? I know the TSX has some nice things the Accord doesnt such as HIDs, better handling, etc....but do those things outweigh the obvious power deficit? BTW, I'm looking at a non-navi model since I'm pretty good with directions and maps (lol).
Hmm.. I really think you ought to go out and test drive one and see for yourself about the power deficit. I'm looking at your ET times, and I'm over a full second behind you with my 6MT, sooo...
Old 12-17-2004 | 05:59 AM
Jersey ---> Maryland

i thought the US Accords were bigger than the TSX?
Old 12-17-2004 | 06:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Slightly in 4 door version, but the TSX should make up for a coupe.
Old 12-17-2004 | 06:10 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by sauceman
Hmm.. I really think you ought to go out and test drive one and see for yourself about the power deficit. I'm looking at your ET times, and I'm over a full second behind you with my 6MT, sooo...
Thats the problem. The dealer closest to me doesn't have a 6spd (and seemingly never will). Basically all I've gotten a chance to do is look/sit inside one. I do love the int/ext looks. I did have a 2001 Prelude 5spd that seems to be somewhat comparable in performance to the TSX, but its been a while since I had that car so I cant even make a hypothetical comparison.

For those interested, here is a link to the timeslip/video of my stock run listed in my sig.
Old 12-17-2004 | 06:44 AM
7th Gear

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=43341

Heres the link to my stock slip/video. Enjoy.
Old 12-17-2004 | 09:07 AM
Racer

Considering the apparent satisfaction you get from having good 1/4 mile times, I think you would be disappointed in the TSX. It is a fast car. But, it is not a quick car.

I test drove an Accord V6 coupe before buying the TSX. The only thing the Accord had over the TSX, IMO, was better acceleration. The trunk on the TSX appeared to be significantly smaller, but I believe the specs. put them at about the same cubes. The trunk on the TSX would hold everything that I normally take on an extended trip so it became a non-issue once I packed the trunk and found that it would hold everything nicely (I have non-NAV and no DVD player in my trunk -- otherwise, it might not have fit). The Accord engine seemed to be a little louder under full throttle (perhaps the TSX has better insulation).

The handling, and road feel, of the TSX was clearly superior to the Accord. However, the Accord seemed to have a smaller turning radius. But are excellent cars, but with distinctly different road manners.
Old 12-17-2004 | 09:12 AM
My Garage

For me, I came from a really powerful car, A6 2.7T. I prefer driving the TSX because it is so much more fun throwing it around. I can drive in the corners faster with the TSX than i could in the audi. So the power comprise was worth it, but thats just me
Old 12-17-2004 | 06:51 PM
Not an Ashtray

The perfect combo might be to stick with the Coupe and make some upgrades to improve the handling. Doesn't Honda offer a A-spec type of package for the Accord?
Old 12-18-2004 | 09:25 AM
7th Gear

Honda does indeed make an A-Spec equivalent called HFP (Honda Factory Performance). It includes, amongst other things, a set of sport springs that lowers the car one inch and sharpens the handling considerably. Thats nice, but it still doesn't add two more doors for me.....lol.

I actually did get a chance to drive a 6spd TSX and 6spd Altima SeR yesterday afternoon. I really enjoyed the TSX. For me, it was the ideal size and everything in the cockpit was perfectly arranged (I'm 5'10" 150lbs). Obviously, the power was limited from what I'm used to......but the shifter was a dream (not that the Accord is bad.....just not 'quite' as refined), and the ride was very tight/balanced. The engine was so smooth. I did miss the growl/snarl of the Accord V6 (as well as power). The Altima was almost the exact opposite. I may be labled a heretic for saying this, but it had almost a 4 door Z28 attitude. BEAUTIFUL exhaust growl, tons of torque, heavy clutch/shifter, boy racer attitude, stiff ride. I appreciated it for what it was and do respect it, but I'd be more inclined to go with the TSX.
Old 12-18-2004 | 10:51 AM
Advanced

TSX Smaller Than Accord To Me

Originally Posted by sauceman
Slightly in 4 door version, but the TSX should make up for a coupe.
I moved from an '03 Accord 4DR 5MT to a TSX. My (subjective) opinion is that if you think the Accord is too small in the front seats you will be less happy with the TSX.

For two people with occasional four passenger use, the TSX would be Goldilocks choice (not too big, not too small). We do miss the bottleholders in the door panels and the big CD cubbyhole in the centre console on the Accord (maybe I could get by with less than 50 CD's in the car but why would I?).

I used to have a '00 Accord Coupe - in comparison to that car, the TSX is the same or smaller in the rear seats but definitely more usable because of the rear doors and roofline.

I can't say what the '03 and later coupe is like in the back (I've driven it but never been in the back).

I will tell you that my most recent car choice was between the Accord 6MT and the TSX. The Accord is faster in a straight line, but the TSX would eat it up on a twisty road and was more pleasant to drive overall when I drove them back to back.

I'd say the Accord 6MT is an improved luxury coupe while the TSX is a sports sedan from the ground up. The 6MT is a neat piece but the TSX just feels like more car to me.

YMMV
Old 12-18-2004 | 08:01 PM
7th Gear

I agree, the objective interior volume of a TSX vs an Accord coupe isn't that different, but having this two rear doors is oh so convenient.
Old 12-19-2004 | 12:33 AM
Intermediate

Here's a good article comparing the TSX 6spd vs the Accord V6 6spd in real world tests...maybe this can help you out a little with the pros and cons...

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=113992