Complete TSX LED replacement guide (link on pg. 17)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:01 AM
rice, anyone?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OOPS!! careful, i think i just blew a fuse while swapping out for LED's... good thing everything in the car is still under waranty!

"but i'm stupid and my lights won't work... can't you fix it for free??" oh yeah, hammin' it up for the dealership...

Old 10-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Dumb question...any 168 type bulb will work for the license plates?

Second dumb question...what size festoon bulb are the interior door lights?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Hailing from the 3-0-5

Ebay LEDs

I bought mine through tec_toyz on Ebay for about $16 delivered. I have the Wide Angle Hi-Power 1 WATT LED bulbs and they look great. Had them on for about 2 days (nights) and have received raving comments from jealous onlookers ! Warning, the right light was a B*&$% to change.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Dumb question...any 168 type bulb will work for the license plates?

Second dumb question...what size festoon bulb are the interior door lights?

Thanks!
If you mean an wedge type LED... yes. If it is specified for a 168/194 type bulb, then it will fit unless it is a huge 12LED or something like that.

There are not festoons in the doors. They too are 168/194 style.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:40 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
just bought some 9led dome lights and 5 led refractor lights in HID white from http://www.vleds.com/ for my interior. we'll let you guys know what i think after install...
Old 10-16-2006, 07:04 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone had problems with bulbs burning out? One of my 9LED white festoon bulbs (font map lights) went out this morning. I know it's the bulb because I swapped the two dome bulbs, and the dead one was dead on both sides. The bulbs have been in use for about five or six weeks.

I've ordered a replacement from Superbrightleds, because I'm willing to believe this was just a fluke bad bulb, but if this is going to happen frequently I may have to reconsider my use of LED domes, which would make me a sad panda, because I love my white LEDs on ebony.

Someone, quick, reassure me!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Instructor

I've seen a few complete 9LED package on ebay, and was wondering whether or not they're safe to get since most people only have 9 for doors and 4/6 for dome and maps.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 07:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioserf
Anyone had problems with bulbs burning out? One of my 9LED white festoon bulbs (font map lights) went out this morning. I know it's the bulb because I swapped the two dome bulbs, and the dead one was dead on both sides. The bulbs have been in use for about five or six weeks.

I've ordered a replacement from Superbrightleds, because I'm willing to believe this was just a fluke bad bulb, but if this is going to happen frequently I may have to reconsider my use of LED domes, which would make me a sad panda, because I love my white LEDs on ebony.

Someone, quick, reassure me!

FYI, if you save your receipt, I believe Superbrightleds warranties for 1 yr.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Cruisin'

so if you do the LED conversion how long are they expected to last? i dont want to keep replacing the bulbs even if they are under warranty
Old 10-18-2006, 06:48 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by KmanianTSX
I bought mine through tec_toyz on Ebay for about $16 delivered. I have the Wide Angle Hi-Power 1 WATT LED bulbs and they look great. Had them on for about 2 days (nights) and have received raving comments from jealous onlookers ! Warning, the right light was a B*&$% to change.

Do you have a picture with the OEM and the 1 Wat Led to compare the brightness?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:52 AM
boost owns

Wow, I just received my 32LED reverse & brake light bulbs from autolumination.com... these things look like no joke!

I will install one side of my car and take a picture, at night, for comparison's sake to share with you all. If the improvement is noteworthy I will keep the bulbs... otherwise, they'll go back and I'll be $84 richer again.

Will update later tonight!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:11 PM
boost owns

TRIP REPORT

I tried the 32LED bulbs from Autolumination.com out tonight. The verdict: keeping the reverse lights, sending back the red tail lights.

I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Right side: 32LED reverse and outside break light
Left side: 15LED reverse and outside break light

Closeup of right side

The 32LED whites are insanely bright, my eyes hurt to look at them too long. They're almost xenon-blue in their intensity. These will help quite a bit with backing up, and blinding people on the space-station.

Honestly though, the 32LED reds were hardly different at all from the 15's, and I also had trouble getting them to light up - I had to jiggle/squeeze them around in the socket to get them to come on and even then they would flicker slightly upon bumps. I can't trust that kind of connectivity on the road. I'm returning the reds and putting my refund towards a RSB.

Oh, and feel free to use my license plate to TRACK ME DOWN AND KILL ME.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Racer

I'm debating between the 32LED and the 3 Watt one. Which one do you think is brighter?
Here is the link to it:
http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm
Old 10-18-2006, 09:32 PM
boost owns

Originally Posted by tuoncan
I'm debating between the 32LED and the 3 Watt one. Which one do you think is brighter?
Here is the link to it:
http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm
No idea, my good man... why not be the guinea pig for the rest of us, like I did with the 32's?

Seriously, it's worth a shot. Apparently the only catch to returns is a 20% restocking fee... I can live with that.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:42 AM
AlwysCleanURArely c ASpec

to whoever was wondering.. its indeed safe to use 9 led bulbs throught the interior and the license plate. I'm using them now, I had a problem with one bulb, just a bad bulb about 2 days after i got it from tec-toyz, to which a replacement was sent out with no questions asked. Nine led bulbs are not too bright for the interior, they probably look the best actually.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Hailing from the 3-0-5

Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
Do you have a picture with the OEM and the 1 Wat Led to compare the brightness?

Sorry ... I installed them in a rush so I didn't remember to take pix ... However, IMO, they are a little brighter than OEM. I parked her along side my friend's IS350 and the lights are almost a perfect match to Lexus' OEM. They are truly worth while .... especially on CGP!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
TRIP REPORT

I tried the 32LED bulbs from Autolumination.com out tonight. The verdict: keeping the reverse lights, sending back the red tail lights.

I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Right side: 32LED reverse and outside break light
Left side: 15LED reverse and outside break light

The 32LED whites are insanely bright, my eyes hurt to look at them too long. They're almost xenon-blue in their intensity. These will help quite a bit with backing up, and blinding people on the space-station.

Honestly though, the 32LED reds were hardly different at all from the 15's, and I also had trouble getting them to light up - I had to jiggle/squeeze them around in the socket to get them to come on and even then they would flicker slightly upon bumps. I can't trust that kind of connectivity on the road. I'm returning the reds and putting my refund towards a RSB.

Oh, and feel free to use my license plate to TRACK ME DOWN AND KILL ME.
It's odd that the 32 LED whites are so bright while the 32 LED reds are not, considering they have all those extra LED's. Maybe is related to the problem to get them to light up? I have been using the 15's for almost a year. They did not have all these options then. I'm waiting for the 3 watt test
Old 10-19-2006, 07:19 AM
boost owns

Originally Posted by CoquiTSX
It's odd that the 32 LED whites are so bright while the 32 LED reds are not, considering they have all those extra LED's. Maybe is related to the problem to get them to light up? I have been using the 15's for almost a year. They did not have all these options then. I'm waiting for the 3 watt test
I think part of it is white is just a brighter color in the first place. Along with that, I was peeking at the reflectors this morning, and it seems like the finish on the inside of the reverse bulb housing is more mirror-like than that of the tail housing. That may cause more dramatic reflection which in turn leads to the supernova of bluish white you see in my pictures.

This is all just theory and me talking out of my ass, so take it with a grain of salt. But I didn't find the reds to be worth keeping at this point in time. Depending how the 3W test goes (whoever ends up doing it), I may go that route. For now, 15's are working well.

Now I just need to stop being lazy and do my turn signals...

Edit: You know what? The hell with it. I'm going to exchange my 32LED reds for 3W reds and see what happens... I'll be the gineua pig on this one.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:51 PM
04 CGP, quartz, navi

my opinion on Autolumination's Superstar and Light Tower bulbs

Not sure if this will help, but I might be able to add some feedback here...

I got the 3 watt Superstar bulbs from Autolumination. Put them in and was very disappointed. Light output on the reds was not very bright at all, and the whites were a little better but not much. Neither was lighting up the reflector very much -- they were sending too much light out the front of the bulb.

So I asked the folks at Autolumination for their opinion. They recommended the Light Tower ones, because those throw out more light to the side. So I sent back the Superstars and got the Light Towers instead (this was before they had the Eagle Eye II).

Long story short, I was disappointed with the Light Tower too. The reds were bright enough when the brake wasn't depressed, but there was very little difference in brightness when I hit the brake. That's the last thing I'd want -- for someone to rear-end me because they didn't notice I was hitting my brakes. (Yes, I still had an OEM bulb in the third brake light...but I decided it was still too big of a chance to take...don't want anyone slamming into my baby.) The whites were a little better, but still not what I was hoping for.

I'm back to OEM bulbs for brakes, tails and reverse lights.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:03 PM
AlwysCleanURArely c ASpec

this might help some of you somewhat.. consider this..

The brightest LED bulb colors are: Blue, White, and Green.

The least bright would be: Red and Amber.

I know this since I install lights on emergency vehicles.

Good luck
Old 10-20-2006, 07:19 AM
boost owns

Originally Posted by Ride Slow Homey
this might help some of you somewhat.. consider this..

The brightest LED bulb colors are: Blue, White, and Green.

The least bright would be: Red and Amber.

I know this since I install lights on emergency vehicles.

Good luck
This is making me think that a 32LED white bulb in the red tail housing might actually work pretty well. If I think to, I will try that tonight and post my results.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:40 AM
boost owns

This is making me think that a 32LED white bulb in the red tail housing might actually work pretty well. If I think to, I will try that tonight and post my results.

Thanks for the tip.
Well crap, I forgot that the reverses are 7440 and the tails are 7443, so I can't perform the swap-around to test.

Either way, based on the above account of the 3Watt LED bulb, I cancelled my order for those with Autolumination. My current 15LED Matrix bulbs are doing a great job. At some point I may order some white 32LED 7443's to test with, but for now I think I'm tired of playing with my lighting.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks like the "32 LED" white is the brightest for the reverse lights since it throws so much more light out to the sides.

The 3 watt "Superstar" or "Eagle Eye II" whites might be brighter on-axis (ie: straight ahead) but since the bulbs on those fire straight back they probably wont work as well.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:05 AM
boost owns

I installed my 1Watt single WLED white bulbs for my license plate last night, and I love them. Very Lexus-looking, not at all ricey like my 9LED white bulbs sometimes appeared with their purple hues. I've gone ahead and ordered two more single WLED whites for my doors, to get that pure white look there too.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:44 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed my 1Watt single WLED white bulbs for my license plate last night, and I love them. Very Lexus-looking, not at all ricey like my 9LED white bulbs sometimes appeared with their purple hues. I've gone ahead and ordered two more single WLED whites for my doors, to get that pure white look there too.
Cant wait to get mine. Post some pics...
Old 11-16-2006, 10:53 AM
boost owns

Originally Posted by TSX420J
Cant wait to get mine. Post some pics...
Sure man, I'll try to snap a couple tonight after work.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:01 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Sure man, I'll try to snap a couple tonight after work.
Cool.. I use to have the 9 led bulbs but they kept going out on me so I gave up.
But hopefully these will be the ones. Good find.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:13 AM
boost owns

Cool.. I use to have the 9 led bulbs but they kept going out on me so I gave up.
But hopefully these will be the ones. Good find.
The 9's never went out on me, but they never fit right, either. The bulb housing never fully snapped in with the 9LED bulb in it - it protruded too much. I ended up carefully wedging/balancing the bulb in the casing. This super bright WLED is just tiny, so it fits securely with no issues.

I can't take credit for this find, though - I read about it a few pages back in this very thread.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Por Favor?

Wait, which bulb is this now? (website?)

Im going to order the "32 LED" whites from Autoillumination for my reverse housings but maybe ill order the license plate bulbs too if you got them from the same place...
Old 11-16-2006, 04:20 PM
boost owns

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
Wait, which bulb is this now? (website?)

Im going to order the "32 LED" whites from Autoillumination for my reverse housings but maybe ill order the license plate bulbs too if you got them from the same place...
This is the hyper-bright single wide-angle LED bulb from superbrightleds.com.

You definitely do want the 32LED whites from Autolumination.com for your backups, though. I just love those things.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Por Favor?

This is the hyper-bright single wide-angle LED bulb from superbrightleds.com.

You definitely do want the 32LED whites from Autolumination.com for your backups, though. I just love those things.

this one for $4.95 each?

those are pretty serious looking compared to the others.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:28 PM
boost owns

Yep, that's the one.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:27 PM
New to Modding Cars

You got the direct link to where you can the LED for the rear lights from autolumination.com?

And, do you have the direct link to where you got the LED for the license plate?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Por Favor?

Originally Posted by KapVu
You got the direct link to where you can the LED for the rear lights from autolumination.com?

And, do you have the direct link to where you got the LED for the license plate?
Reverse Light: http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm

This one:

For the License plate bulbs, got to superbrightleds.com and look for the picture of the one I showed a couple posts up...
Old 11-17-2006, 12:35 PM
New to Modding Cars

would you just put that one 32LED on the reverse or change out all the rear bulbs?
Old 11-17-2006, 12:56 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by Brandon24pdx
Reverse Light: http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm

This one:

For the License plate bulbs, got to superbrightleds.com and look for the picture of the one I showed a couple posts up...
WTF is that thing.. Whoa it looks like a building or something.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:07 PM
boost owns

WTF is that thing.. Whoa it looks like a building or something.
That thing looks like a supernova at night. I posted pics in my car a couple pages back, I think. It hurts your eye to look right at it! all the way - if you're going to do LED reverse, that is THE bulb to use.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Instructor

I have replaced the bulbs in my TSX with LEDS. I did the interior with some UV LED I won off EBAY. They give the car a great mysterious blue look at night I get lots of great complemnts on them. I use the WLEDs for the Parking and the standard swap outs for all the others. I use Super Bright Leds I have been using thier product since I owned a CL and thye stand by thier product and if there is an issue they will replace them
Old 11-17-2006, 04:30 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

That thing looks like a supernova at night. I posted pics in my car a couple pages back, I think. It hurts your eye to look right at it! all the way - if you're going to do LED reverse, that is THE bulb to use.
I have the superbright leds ones but they dont have as many leds as that one does.. LOL those are the bully blinders from the goonies.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:37 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by rmjames007
I have replaced the bulbs in my TSX with LEDS. I did the interior with some UV LED I won off EBAY. They give the car a great mysterious blue look at night I get lots of great complemnts on them. I use the WLEDs for the Parking and the standard swap outs for all the others. I use Super Bright Leds I have been using thier product since I owned a CL and thye stand by thier product and if there is an issue they will replace them
I also have UV's in mine but I just dont like that the ambient lighting under the radio cannot be changed as well. I figured out how to change the one by the homelink but not the one under the radio. So, I decided to switch to blue because of this. I did the footwell lighting and about to do the door release and maybe the door pockets as well. I also am changing the cubby light to red. I'll have a thread later this month on the changes.

Quick Reply: Complete TSX LED replacement guide (link on pg. 17)