Complete TSX LED replacement guide (link on pg. 17)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 03:43 AM
rice, anyone?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm an idiot.

ok, so one of my license plate lights is on the fritz, so i hopped online to see if i could get some replacement ones.

i however did not do my homework, so does anyone know about the newer WLED lights from superbrightleds.com? here's a linky http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

mainly the WLED-x6 LED Wedge Base Bulbs and the WLED-WHP LED Wedge Base Bulbs are the ones i'm concerned about, seeing that i got a couple to replace my uber dim leds in license plate + trunk.

i'm wondering if these puppies will even fit? i know the current ones are a bit of a stretch.

also, idiot me, lost the instructions i got a LOOOoonngg time ago of how to replace the license plate blubs. can anyone provide me with some instructions?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^^Search is your friend:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33963

If you are concerned about the amount of light for the trunk, you should look at one of those circuit boards with LEDs and a 194/168 connector on the end of it.

I've not tried either of the WLED x6 or the WLED-WHP, but I've found the license plate LEDs do have a high rate of failure. I don't know if they are simply exposed to the environment, induced to a higher amount of vibration or whatever... they just seem to last a very short amount of time. Maybe these two resolve that issue from the previous versions of WLEDs.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
^^Search is your friend:

If you are concerned about the amount of light for the trunk, you should look at one of those circuit boards with LEDs and a 194/168 connector on the end of it.

I've not tried either of the WLED x6 or the WLED-WHP, but I've found the license plate LEDs do have a high rate of failure. I don't know if they are simply exposed to the environment, induced to a higher amount of vibration or whatever... they just seem to last a very short amount of time. Maybe these two resolve that issue from the previous versions of WLEDs.
I use the the New SMT Tower 194 Leds from autolumination in the trunk, it is much brighter than OEM. I based it on a test by kennedy (TL forum).

I just finished testing the SMT Tower II and the Eagle Eye Tower also from autolumination, to replace the 15 led wedge matrix that ihave been using for the last 2 years, and ran into a problem. When turning on the "parking" lights, they light up for about 10 seconds, then all the lights go off . If I turn it off and on again the same thing happens. Any ideas whats going on? Is not a fuse because it resets by turning on and off. I'm getting ready to return them before the electric system gets messed up. Never have this problem with the matrix bulbs.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:57 AM
rice, anyone?

^^Search is your friend:

thanks! i guess i'll post the results after getting them in and sporting them for a while? we'll see how they work out.

i've noticed the license plate frame lights go out really quickly on most cars really... lot of cars sporting no lights or a bright one + dim one or one working one not... weird, you'd think that car makers would try and fix that one? *shrug*
Old 04-30-2007, 08:16 PM
rice, anyone?

got the new LED's installed... let's just say, i think i've found something that comes close to matching the Lexus license plate frame look...

i got both the WLED 6-LED bulb and the WLED-WHP Pure White High Power bulb to try out.

BOTH bulbs were significantly brighter than the previous regular 6-LED bulb that i had installed, and both were physically smaller, so they fit better into both the trunk light and license plate frame housing.

the WLED-WHP Pure White High Power ended up being the brightest by far, though i am not sure how long these puppies will last. they seem sturdy enough.

here's some pics...

the regular 6-LED bulb is on the left, the new WLED-WHP is on the right.

notice the light difference off the reflection of the bottom of the trunk? its BRIGHT.

i was totally floored, when i saw that the lights were bright enough to light the ground behind the trunk!! the pic was taken in the carport, but there's still a bit of light... and STILL the LED's are super bright!

needless to say, i'm really happy with these... let's just hope they don't fizzle out after a couple of months!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Pro

can you tell me the part number for the license bulb please?! i can't seem to find it anywhere! it's driving me crazy!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:33 PM
rice, anyone?

Originally Posted by Tsx6363
can you tell me the part number for the license bulb please?! i can't seem to find it anywhere! it's driving me crazy!
got them from www.superbrightleds.com

i changed the T13 wedge base bulbs (normal 6-LED bulbs) to WLED-WHP Pure White High Power bulbs. just make sure the bulbs you get are 12 VDC (194/168 type). this one is polarized, so if you put it in and doesn't work, you may try flipping it around to see if it works (there's only one right way of installing the bulb).

i also tried the WLED 6-LED bulb (again, 12 VDC 6-LED (194/168 type)) and it was significantly brighter than the normal T13's, but just weren't as bright as the WHP's. these bulbs are Non-Polarized so you can plug 'em in however you want, and they should work.

the WHP's ran about $5 a pop, the WLEDs were about $3 (not including tax +ship). on a side note, both blubs fit better in the housings than the normal T13's.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Hi all - thanks to the info in this thread! I just replaced my interior lights with 9 LED blue and they look great! I'll get some pics tonight.

Got them all on www.superbrightleds.com

(3) 3022 -x9 LED Festoon bulb (blue) - map and dome
(2) 921 -x9 Wedget Base LED bulb (blue) - doors

$22.25 shipped to my door - 10 mins to install. One tip - the festoons need to be put in a certain direction - so if it's dark, turn it around.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:48 PM

I think the night shots came out great - the blue really looks cool! It's Glacier Blue with grey interior - all looks awesome!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 1Louder

I think the night shots came out great - the blue really looks cool! It's Glacier Blue with grey interior - all looks awesome!
Very nice....Any pics of the door with the 9 LED
Old 05-04-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by cali4tsx
Very nice....Any pics of the door with the 9 LED
I'll see what I can get. The night shots are the best way to see, but my camera is a bit limited to take the pic at a distance. I'll try a dusk shot tonight and see if I can't get good visibility.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:46 PM

Here's the door and a close-up of the map lights.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by adrokshuclak
got them from www.superbrightleds.com

i changed the T13 wedge base bulbs (normal 6-LED bulbs) to WLED-WHP Pure White High Power bulbs. just make sure the bulbs you get are 12 VDC (194/168 type). this one is polarized, so if you put it in and doesn't work, you may try flipping it around to see if it works (there's only one right way of installing the bulb).

i also tried the WLED 6-LED bulb (again, 12 VDC 6-LED (194/168 type)) and it was significantly brighter than the normal T13's, but just weren't as bright as the WHP's. these bulbs are Non-Polarized so you can plug 'em in however you want, and they should work.

the WHP's ran about $5 a pop, the WLEDs were about $3 (not including tax +ship). on a side note, both blubs fit better in the housings than the normal T13's.
Thanks for the info - this may be my next change. Do you (or anyone here) know if colored LEDs for the plate lights are legal or not? I thought blue would be very cool - matches the interior theme.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Pro

can any of the mods bring back the link originally put up? it could really come in handy =[
Old 05-07-2007, 05:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tsx6363
can any of the mods bring back the link originally put up? it could really come in handy =[
I have all the info, just no where to host it.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Pro

Here's the door and a close-up of the map lights.
9 LED on door looking awesome good job
Old 05-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi all - thanks to the info in this thread! I just replaced my interior lights with 9 LED blue and they look great! I'll get some pics tonight.

Got them all on www.superbrightleds.com

(3) 3022 -x9 LED Festoon bulb (blue) - map and dome
(2) 921 -x9 Wedget Base LED bulb (blue) - doors

$22.25 shipped to my door - 10 mins to install. One tip - the festoons need to be put in a certain direction - so if it's dark, turn it around.

Louder are those the part numbers to use when ordering from superbrightleds? If not what is the correct part number to use.

Thanks,
T.R.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:15 PM
私はより良い

anyone want to to send me the stuff?
i have somewhere to host it...
Old 05-21-2007, 05:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cybereclipse
anyone want to to send me the stuff?
i have somewhere to host it...
PM me your email addy.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:45 AM
Pro

Thanks for the info - this may be my next change. Do you (or anyone here) know if colored LEDs for the plate lights are legal or not? I thought blue would be very cool - matches the interior theme.
illegal in CA..must be white ...(section 24601 VC)
Old 05-22-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by flyinfry
Louder are those the part numbers to use when ordering from superbrightleds? If not what is the correct part number to use.

Thanks,
T.R.
T.R.,

These were off the invoice I got. It's a bit of a challenge to match up the kind you need with the superbrights numbers. However their web site has a link to a sylvania site where you can look up your car and get the right parts. This thread has good info too. Good luck -
Old 05-28-2007, 03:00 AM
hi, i'm charz

i am so confused looking at the superbrightleds.com website. i have no idea what i am supposed to purchase for the license plate lights. i try looking for the leds you guys are mentioning but i can't seem to find them. it seems as though you guys are speaking a different language. could someone be super nice enough to navigate me through or show me a direct link to the product? any help would be highly appreciated!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:15 AM
kjv
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by tsX818
i am so confused looking at the superbrightleds.com website. i have no idea what i am supposed to purchase for the license plate lights. i try looking for the leds you guys are mentioning but i can't seem to find them. it seems as though you guys are speaking a different language. could someone be super nice enough to navigate me through or show me a direct link to the product? any help would be highly appreciated!
Here is a direct link to the superbrightleds.com store:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...7.2838&next=50

Some people have bought the "WLED-WHP", "T13", "921-x9" or even the "921-x12". These names come from the title of the led on the superbrightleds.com store. If you search for any names in quotes above, you should see the leds people are buying for their license plate.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Racer

is there a guide to how to remove the license plate bulbs
Old 06-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by raheel616
Do a search.... its out there.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by raheel616
I just did it a few days ago. Open the trunk and remove the three screws holding the lining on (just the ones on the side where the license plate is). There are two rubber rectangle-shaped pieces - you can take them off or leave on - you'll just have to work around them when you pull the fabric away from the trunk lid if you leave them on. Now you can get at the light housing. It's fairly obvious how they come out once you get a look at them (there's a tab to push in on the sides). Just swap the bulbs (make sure if the LEDs are polarized that they are in the right way - check to make sure they work before putting it all back). The just put everthing back!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Racer

Those new Liscence plate leds look nice. I still have the 6led ones from tectoys which have not died in the 8-10 months i have had them. I was planning on making my own as i did with the door lights (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38078) but the bulbs will be much easier
Old 07-16-2007, 02:26 PM
10th Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MTLer
Those new Liscence plate leds look nice. I still have the 6led ones from tectoys which have not died in the 8-10 months i have had them. I was planning on making my own as i did with the door lights (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38078) but the bulbs will be much easier
I too just installed the WLED-x6 LED (194/168 style) license plate LED lights. I ordered them however from SuperLEDlights.com, from which the package arrived quickly. Install using above directions was easy and took 15 min. They look SHARP (very similar to Lexus IS license lights) and offer enough lighting without lighting up the plates and the entire road behind the car like the WLED-WHP Pure White High Power bulbs. Those seem a little too strong and obnoxious (personal preference). Total was around $13 (white bulbs $4 each, shipping, tax inc.)

Install quick-tip : click lock/unlock button on keyfob to flash exterior lights in order to confirm LED functionality before reinstalling connectors and replacing trunk fabric. You might need to flip the LED over if it doesn't light up, saving you from having to open things back up.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tsx271811
I too just installed the WLED-x6 LED (194/168 style) license plate LED lights. I ordered them however from SuperLEDlights.com, from which the package arrived quickly. Install using above directions was easy and took 15 min. They look SHARP (very similar to Lexus IS license lights) and offer enough lighting without lighting up the plates and the entire road behind the car like the WLED-WHP Pure White High Power bulbs. Those seem a little too strong and obnoxious (personal preference). Total was around $13 (white bulbs $4 each, shipping, tax inc.)

Install quick-tip : click lock/unlock button on keyfob to flash exterior lights in order to confirm LED functionality before reinstalling connectors and replacing trunk fabric. You might need to flip the LED over if it doesn't light up, saving you from having to open things back up.
please can you post some pics
Old 09-08-2007, 11:45 AM
rice, anyone?

Originally Posted by csun2004
please can you post some pics
this is comparison of regular white LED with the newer W-LED's... remember this is in daylight, so the difference is significantly more dramatic at night.

here's another showing difference... you can tell the difference more clearly if you look at the reflection on the bumper

this is with them both in... its pretty freakin' bright. at night it compares to the super bright ones on the newer lexus IS and GS. i've gotten comments about it from people who notice the difference in brightness. the best part is because the lights are pointed directly down on the ground, it can be as bright as i want it without it being annoying to other drivers behind me!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Well, I just found out, 90 days after purchasing the high output LEDs from Autolumination, they have failed. I stuck the original bulbs back in and the sockets are fine. So this is now my 4th pair of LEDs for this area that have failed. I'm done with it and worse, Autolumination doesn't warrantee them unless you purchase a 60 day warranty. At least superbrightleds.com warranties their stuff for 1 yr after purchase with original receipt.

I think I'm going to get the bulbs that Hoen-usa.com offers. I have their Fog bulbs and they're perfect.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:22 AM
where is my garage?!

Well, I just found out, 90 days after purchasing the high output LEDs from Autolumination, they have failed. I stuck the original bulbs back in and the sockets are fine. So this is now my 4th pair of LEDs for this area that have failed. I'm done with it and worse, Autolumination doesn't warrantee them unless you purchase a 60 day warranty. At least superbrightleds.com warranties their stuff for 1 yr after purchase with original receipt.

I think I'm going to get the bulbs that Hoen-usa.com offers. I have their Fog bulbs and they're perfect.

moda_way, are the W5W, 2825, 168 bulbs the one you plan to get?

i was just on their site. i'm thinking of getting the xenonmatch fog bulbs since i'm taking off my bumper this weekend. figured if i'm gonna get those and change them, i might as well pick up the license plate/trunk bulbs and save shipping. thanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex
moda_way, are the W5W, 2825, 168 bulbs the one you plan to get?

i was just on their site. i'm thinking of getting the xenonmatch fog bulbs since i'm taking off my bumper this weekend. figured if i'm gonna get those and change them, i might as well pick up the license plate/trunk bulbs and save shipping. thanks.
Yep, those are the ones. Hoen is just top notch, quality stuff. Probably won't be as intense as the LEDs were, but I'll take that over having to replace them every few months.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:28 PM
where is my garage?!

cool. thanks. i just put my order in. hopefully i'll get them soon for installation this saturday.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Question: no I didn't search through all 16 pages to see if someone did it, I apologize for my laziness.

The blue accent lighting up by the map lights where the NAVI/HFL mic is located and the accent light just above the top console box that stay lit blue with your lights on, can you replace those with something brighter or a different color??? Or is it just an LED hard wired to a circuit board?
Old 10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by clee109
Question: no I didn't search through all 16 pages to see if someone did it, I apologize for my laziness.

The blue accent lighting up by the map lights where the NAVI/HFL mic is located and the accent light just above the top console box that stay lit blue with your lights on, can you replace those with something brighter or a different color??? Or is it just an LED hard wired to a circuit board?
From what I've seen, it is hardwired. Doesn't stop you from replacing it, but what other color would you use. Blue fits IMHO.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
^^^thanks, was thinking more of a white
Old 10-09-2007, 02:56 AM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
anyone got the bulb size list?

Trunk-
Glove box-
Dome-
Doors-
License - 194
Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 AM
Suzuka Master

^^There is a link to someone's website with it a few pages back
Old 10-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Did anybody ever find a place to host the guide? If not, I can host it. I run my own little homebrewed webserver, and was actually pondering buying a TSX related domain name. :-D

Quick Reply: Complete TSX LED replacement guide (link on pg. 17)