Close call in the dark

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:36 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Close call in the dark

I was really close to getting into an accident tonight. However, I've found a new hate for bike riders who run an obivous redlight in the dark with no reflectors.

I was going down Washington/Fremont Blvd at night around 9pm. I was coming up to a redlight from about 300-400 feet away in 4th gear and I've slowed down already. I looked at the traffic on the other lanes and saw that it wasn't moving, but I thought they were just slow off the start. So I slowly cruised down the street, about to shift into 5th gear when a biker pops into my view. Mind you, I could hardly see him/her since he had no reflectors, lights, nothing. Since I was only about 200 feet from the light, everything was okay.

Boy was I ever wrong. I'm in 4th now, but I still needed to drop one more gear before accelerating, but I see the cars next to me still have not moved. Apparantly, there was another cyclist biking after they have the red light. So, since I'm now too close to run straight and my reflexes told me to go, I turned right (into the cross street they were turning towards). So basically, I turned between the two cyclists.

I was so scared that I was going to get into an accident. My poor tsx doesn't even have it's license plates yet, nor did she get her first bath. Still in the 400 mi... I'm just glad that even though I turned into a residental area, my gps quickly saw this detour and rerouted me towards Little Caesars through small streets.

Here's a warning to ALL cyclists: Wear reflectors in the dark and don't run redlights!
Old 08-07-2006, 03:24 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/
Old 08-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Glad you made it through okay Aren't there laws for bikes to have reflectors? And lights at night? Anyway, glad you did scratch your TSX!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Got Milk???

a fair warning for those of you who ride speed bikes...

my good friend got into a motorcycle accident and died at the scene, because he thought he was invincible and fast, ran a red light, but i guess not fast enough. the 2 separate drivers from the 2 cars that sandwiched him are now seeing psychiatrists for the trauma involved........

sad story, that's why i think all those who ride should think again about the way you ride.

KC
Old 08-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
...And that's why we call them organ donors.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:39 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Glad you made it through okay Aren't there laws for bikes to have reflectors? And lights at night? Anyway, glad you did scratch your TSX!
Yes, bicycles are subject to essentially the same laws as cars including traffic control devices and night visibility requirements (obviously the precise implementation of the night visibility requirement is slightly different from cars but they need reflectors and lighting).
Old 08-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaikai114

my good friend got into a motorcycle accident and died at the scene, because he thought he was invincible and fast, ran a red light, but i guess not fast enough. the 2 separate drivers from the 2 cars that sandwiched him are now seeing psychiatrists for the trauma involved........

sad story, that's why i think all those who ride should think again about the way you ride.

KC
Sorry to hear that Kevin. I had a Suzuki TLR for about 4 years and I rode it hard, but I also respected it and everything else around me. Shame your friend had to learn that lesson the hard way...
Old 08-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kaikai114

KC
I have NEVER understood how people can ride motorcycles, and I NEVER will. I don't care how "fun and exciting" it is ridiing a motorcycle, it's not fun enough to risk my life doing it.