Climate Control Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 12:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climate Control Questions

I've read the owner's manual but can't figure out something. When you choose"auto," does the air conditioner automatically
engage, despite the temperature outside or the temp you set for the interior?

If it does, and you are worried about the drop in HP and gas mileage, what's the difference to just leave it off and manually set the temperature you want?

And while I know you can route the air through various vents manually, when you set it in Auto or set the temperature manually, does it automatically split where the air comes out?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2004, 07:22 AM
TSX Lover

The A/C will cycle on and off depending on inside and outside tempature on full auto.

As for the HP, I don't think the TSX's A/C pulls down the engine as much as in many other cars. There have been others here that have made the same comments.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Don't listen to me.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by prballard
The A/C will cycle on and off depending on inside and outside tempature on full auto.

As for the HP, I don't think the TSX's A/C pulls down the engine as much as in many other cars. There have been others here that have made the same comments.
I agree. I think it was stated that you use more gas with a windows than with the A/C on. Plus if it bothers you just hit the auto button and then turn off the A/C part.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Related Question

On a related topic. I want to get outside air from the vents, the way I used to on my old Integra. I hit auto, then hit the A/C button to turn off the A/C, then adjust the fan speed to my liking. Am I doing this right?
Old 03-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Don't listen to me.

Their is a botton that Has an arrow that loops over the car. That is the recycle button. Make sure it is off to get fresh air.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Team Owner

thanks Ortiz.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Baka Unco

How about this?

I want to get heated outside air without the fan . . . I can do this with my 4Runner, just push the temp position into the "red" and make sure the recycle is off. . . can this be done on with the TSX.

Doesn't the AC have to be on to select a temperature? I'm assuming that what I want to be able to do can't be done in a car with automatic climate control.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally posted by corbs
How about this?

I want to get heated outside air without the fan . . . I can do this with my 4Runner, just push the temp position into the "red" and make sure the recycle is off. . . can this be done on with the TSX.

Doesn't the AC have to be on to select a temperature? I'm assuming that what I want to be able to do can't be done in a car with automatic climate control.
To do this, turn on the AUTO and select the "HIGH" temperature setting. Hit "OFF" and then use the "MODE" selector to set the system to direct airflow towards the head. That should be it. To get a better airflow from the vents, pop the moonroof to the vent position. Also, you can turn just the fan on and turn A/C to "A/C OFF" for increased airflow as well.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Baka Unco

SWEET!! I'll give it a try.

Thanks man.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:02 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Everytime I turn on the fan/heat the A/C turns on. I feel and hear it. I always press the A/C button to turn it off and again I can feel it and hear it turn off. I thought the A/C only turned on automatically when in defrost mode? Why would it turn on all the time?

Is this right? I know we discussed this before but who remembers?
Old 03-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

If I remember correctly, domn, the A/C comes on if it was on when you last used the climate control system. Maybe try turning the A/C off when you turn off the system, then hit the fan switch and see if the A/C comes on again. Of course, since I'm not near my car now, I can't go check myself. Lemme know if this does the trick.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Advanced

I have the non-navi version. If you start by pressing the "Auto" button, everything is controlled automatically. Also "auto" shows on the screen. Auto mode controls the temperature, vents mode, fan speed, recycling mode, and the AC on/off. May be more, but I think that's it.

you can override any of those items by adjusting it manually, say the fan speed. The adjusted fan speed will show up on the screen, "auto" will not show up. That doesn't mean that auto mode was turned off. You are in a semi-auto mode now. All the other variables are still in auto mode unless you override them one by one.

When you press the "ac on" button, "ac on" shows on the screen. If you press it again "ac off" shows. So these are your manual overrides for the AC on/off. If neither one is showing on the screen that means that the AC on/off is in auto mode..

Hope I didn't confuse you. The point is that the AC can be in Auto, manual or semi-auto modes. It's pretty easy to use and you have full control over everything.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:30 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Thanks Alex, you da man

CGTSX2004, I've tried that and it still always turns on. And going by what Alex is saying the A/C is always in Auto mode which in my case anyways means its always on, even if it was off prior to shutting off the car.

I'm always turning the A/C off which is bothersome.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Racer

Originally posted by domn
Thanks Alex, you da man

CGTSX2004, I've tried that and it still always turns on. And going by what Alex is saying the A/C is always in Auto mode which in my case anyways means its always on, even if it was off prior to shutting off the car.

I'm always turning the A/C off which is bothersome.

According to acura's climate control FAQ its better to leave the a/c on all the time. They say that it makes the heat hotter by pulling out moisture. or something like that
Old 03-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by ssm_tsx
According to acura's climate control FAQ its better to leave the a/c on all the time. They say that it makes the heat hotter by pulling out moisture. or something like that
Actually, that doesn't make sense since increased humidity (higher amount of moisture in the air) would make the temperature feel higher, not lower. The A/C does pull moisture out of the air for cooling though.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Racer

This is what I found on the acura website.

Use the air-conditioning and heating at the same time. As it cools, the A/C draws moisture out of the air. When used with the heater, it makes the interior dryer and warmer. This procedure works whenever the outside temperature is above 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Banned

I got in my car today and my thermometer said 104F... which probably was pretty close to reality. I usually keep my CC on around 70 degrees. Turned on the car and the AC felt like a Siberian snowstorm... felt good. Then I figured out that I can stick the "legs" of my metal sunglasses down into the vent for a few seconds and it won't burn the shit out of me when I put them back on after a day of being baked in the car.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Don't listen to me.

Originally posted by Crazytree
I got in my car today and my thermometer said 104F... which probably was pretty close to reality. I usually keep my CC on around 70 degrees. Turned on the car and the AC felt like a Siberian snowstorm... felt good. Then I figured out that I can stick the "legs" of my metal sunglasses down into the vent for a few seconds and it won't burn the shit out of me when I put them back on after a day of being baked in the car.
Crazytree, That is the most simple good idea I have heard on this thread. I use that technique this summer. THANKS
Old 03-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by ssm_tsx
This is what I found on the acura website.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use the air-conditioning and heating at the same time. As it cools, the A/C draws moisture out of the air. When used with the heater, it makes the interior dryer and warmer. This procedure works whenever the outside temperature is above 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, but its a DRY heat.