Can you handle a little quiz?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 10:18 AM
More On

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TSeniorX
.....Thank you all for being such good sports about my idiotic fascination with car door handles!
Thanks for the quiz -- it was fun.

Besides, I learned something. Just sitting here, I couldn't have told you what kind of handles the TSX has.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:47 AM
Instructor

ok, now that THAT'S settled, I'm still baffled by what the "h e double bamboo shoots" TSXautoXer was complaining about. yikes.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Here a related quiz:

How do I feel about this thread?

A) :wackit:

B) :ghey:

C) :pee:

or

D) :whocares:
Old 08-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by larchmont

Tight parking spots are a problem because long, heavy doors make it difficult—sometimes impossible—to get in and out. However, the large outside door handles are easily gripped.
[/B]
The 2-door Accords definately have long long doors. Some are heavy. This makes parking a bit dicey of the spaces are too narrow since the door swings so wide.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

I agree with Motown, this is
Old 08-24-2003, 09:14 PM
Inspired

I'd say "D", I don't really care, but then again, everyone buys cars for their own reasons and they have that right

I personally like either pull or flipper handles. I DON'T like the "easy to pull" flipper handles, I prefer the older Honda's like the 3rd Generation Accord and the Preludes, they had nice "solid" handles.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:08 AM
Instructor

Wow...I never really noticed that about the flush ones that pull up and the grab handles. Now that I think about it, I do like the grab handles like the TSX.

I know on some of those pull handles, if I forget to unlock it, I feel like I could just pull the handle off. It does have a nice feel to it having those grab handles.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Because I’m not an automotive expert, I’ll just leave the engineering marvels to others. In the case of my TSX, I just assume it’s going to have a great engine, transmission and suspension, so I can just drive and enjoy – and concentrate on the looks of things.

With deference to MoTownTSX, rb4580, and I’m sure some others who thought this thread had been put out to pasture, I can only say – not! But I will promise them that once I’ve added these thoughts on – you got it – door handles, I’ll give it a rest! Here we go.

For years, almost all car manufacturers, including Honda, Mercedes, and BMW, have used these two features: :

1. “Plug in” type door handle surrounds
2. Black “plastic” handles and/or surrounds

IMO, I believe they’ve done this for two reasons:

1. To build them more cheaply
2. To designate a “lesser” status for a given product

If you’ll bear with me, I’d like to give you a case in point with a TSX competitor that has received a great deal of attention on this site – the Saab 93.

I must confess to having quite an affection for Saab. Maybe it’s those Saab-stories in the old “Seinfeld” reruns I love. Or maybe it’s because I think the Saab carries one of the best logos in the car business, along with Porsche and Alfa-Romeo. On the other hand, based on the way they look today (both the 93 and the 95) I would not be able to buy either of them because of the door handles! My argument with Saab is that, in this class (e.g. Acura TSX, Mercedes C230, BMW 325, Audi A4) every other manufacturer uses body-color door handles because they show, IMO, a higher level of quality because it’s a more expensive touch. Saab on the other hand, continues to use a black plastic (or is it?) material that while it has a substantial feel to it, provides a jarring contrast with the painted surface next to it. Here again, the TSX shines. And let me go on to the “plug in” surround that may be puzzling some of you.

If you look at your TSX door handle and the way it fits into the door, you’ll see that the area where you hand goes, behind the handle itself, was “carved” into the door when the door was made. I’m sure this takes special equipment to make this, and the end result is a smoother looking door handle environment. Now look at the Saab 93 again. When you look at its handle, the “surround” has been “plugged in” to the door with the associated obvious ridge to IMO once again, spoil the smooth lines of the door handle area. And even though the obvious trend for almost all car manufacturers is toward “carving” the hand area into the door rather than plugging in a unit after the fact, there are still car builders other than Saab who use this feature. I was surprised to find that even the mighty BMW 740 door handle assembly is “plugged in” rather than being TSX-like.

So there you have it. As I said I’ll give the subject of door handles a rest now. I certainly wouldn’t want to be responsible for any of you getting into an accident because you’re checking door handles rather than watching the road! But if you enjoy automobile style issues, check it out some time.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by TSeniorX

If you’ll bear with me, I’d like to give you a case in point with a TSX competitor that has received a great deal of attention on this site – the Saab 93.

I must confess to having quite an affection for Saab. Maybe it’s those Saab-stories in the old “Seinfeld” reruns I love. Or maybe it’s because I think the Saab carries one of the best logos in the car business, along with Porsche and Alfa-Romeo. On the other hand, based on the way they look today (both the 93 and the 95) I would not be able to buy either of them because of the door handles! My argument with Saab is that, in this class (e.g. Acura TSX, Mercedes C230, BMW 325, Audi A4) every other manufacturer uses body-color door handles because they show, IMO, a higher level of quality because it’s a more expensive touch. Saab on the other hand, continues to use a black plastic (or is it?) material that while it has a substantial feel to it, provides a jarring contrast with the painted surface next to it. Here again, the TSX shines. And let me go on to the “plug in” surround that may be puzzling some of you.

I learned that the Saab's door handles are designed to provide a function: Safety. The idea is if the vehicle was in a ditch or in a large accident the motion of pulling out and up can be accomplished with a long bar with a hook. The plastic rubberized surround aids to this benefit. Supposedly the door handle is designed for this type of abuse. I guess the flip side is that's how they get around the issue of not providing a color keyed door handle.