Can you handle a little quiz?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you handle a little quiz?

Before I found the TSX, I had high hopes for the new Honda Accord coupe. I think it really is a fine car, but it has one little "problem" that became a show stopper for me. It's sister car, the Accord sedan doesn't have this problem. In the case of the Infiniti G35, the situation is reversed - the sedan has the problem, but the couple does not.

This is such an important "problem" for me that as much as I love the TSX, if it had the same problem I would not have bought it.

So - what's the problem?
Old 08-23-2003, 04:27 PM
More On

Totally stumped. And I actually tried to get it. Among the things I thought of were unavailability of manual, relatively inadequate interior room in either front or back, exterior dimensions too big or too small for your taste, and lesser power. None of the things that I thought of apply to both the Accord coupe and the G35 sedan.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:28 PM
Instructor

High back end??
Old 08-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Registered AssHat

Butt ugly looks?
Old 08-23-2003, 05:55 PM
More On

Hey Senior, I'm tempted to demand that you tell us already!

But -- no, it'll be interesting to see if someone gets it. Let it run.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Instructor

check his original "hey, look at me.. I'm new!" introductory thread.. might be some clues there. (that wasn't the title of his thread, btw).

I myself am to lazy to look, especially if there's no prize being offered for guessing right.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Racer

Im stuck....
Old 08-23-2003, 06:29 PM
More On

Originally posted by combustible1
check his original "hey, look at me.. I'm new!" introductory thread.. might be some clues there. (that wasn't the title of his thread, btw).

I myself am to lazy to look, especially if there's no prize being offered for guessing right.
Maybe no place to put his left knee?

No, no clues over there.

P.S. Unless, maybe, do those cars not have one of those foot rests for the left foot?
Old 08-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Can you handle a little quiz?

Originally posted by TSeniorX
Before I found the TSX, I had high hopes for the new Honda Accord coupe. I think it really is a fine car, but it has one little "problem" that became a show stopper for me.
The first problem that occurs to me is styling, but both the 4-door and the 2-door suffer poorly from that.

I would have seriously considered the Accord 2-door if it had clean styling. Unfortunately, the headlights, the buck-tooth grill, the bloated roundiness, the very passe triangular/diagonals in the rear light area were collectively a deal killer.

I would have been in the market for the 4 cylinder MT EX. Vtec.net has some excellent articles on the Accord. Fortunately, the TSX is Accord-based with the same K24 engine but with some nice enhancements.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by combustible1

Combustible1, there is a prize - the person who figures it out will be able to be the first to slap him/herself in the forehead and say "it's sooo obvious!"

But for those of you like Larch who may "knee'd" a little hint, be aware that Combustible1's thought is on the right track - but is it the right thread?
Old 08-23-2003, 07:54 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, this may be totally of the track, but I thought the Accord Coupe had head room and visability issues, that the TSX and the Sedan do not have.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro

The Accords are ugly. Too blah.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Adjustable driver seat height!!:P

Or should it be ...

Adjustable driver seat height??
Old 08-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Lack of a manumatic/sportshift/clutchless manual mode?

(Don't follow cars too much, so I don't know if those are options on the Infiniti or Accords).

Next thing would be what was already guessed...height adjustable driver's seats.

BTW TSeniorX...welcome...liked your first post.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:05 AM
More On

.....But for those of you like Larch who may "knee'd" a little hint, be aware that Combustible1's thought is on the right track - but is it the right thread?
This is like a scavenger hunt -- except probably nobody here but me and Senior are old enough to know about scavenger hunts! I don't think they have them anymore, do they? They were great, though. Someone should bring them back. Sell it as a kit, charge 300 bucks for it.

We already know that Senior is playing with us, but seems like he might be playing even more than that, because -- what could he possibly mean, "Is it the right thread"? HE HASN'T POSTED ON ANY THREAD BESIDES THAT ONE AND THIS ONE!

Old 08-24-2003, 12:12 AM
More On

I think I have it.

No, not the answer, but what he means about the clue.

I think it's in THIS thread, and I think it's something about his choice of words in that first post here. One of the words is sort of a pun or reference to the problem.

Probably the most likely "clue words" are:

(1) "High"
(2) "Handle"

P.S. And also, his putting the word "problem" in quotes probably means that a lot of people would consider it a positive.

That's as far as I've gotten so far.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:39 AM

TSX is missing a good engine. back seats room. and good looks.

Well, this may be totally of the track, but I thought the Accord Coupe had head room and visability issues, that the TSX and the Sedan do not have.

wrong!!!im 6-1 and it has plenty of head room.also the back seats of my coupe are very roomy unlike the g35 coupe.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:41 AM
Houston we have a problem

no prob TSeniorX, you will like TSX. The door handle is designed in your favor.

Thanks larch for the clue.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:47 AM
More On

Originally posted by adam fiooz
.....Well, this may be totally of the track, but I thought the Accord Coupe had head room and visability issues, that the TSX and the Sedan do not have.

wrong!!!im 6-1 and it has plenty of head room.also the back seats of my coupe are very roomy unlike the g35 coupe.
I think this doesn't necessarily rule out head room as the possible answer, because maybe he keeps the seat more upright?

Anyway I think we're on the right track.

"High"? "Handle"?

You know, I was actually tempted to go and check out the Accords and G35's today.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:53 AM

Someone please confirm the answer the door handle design of the car. Check pictures from the manufacturer's website and you'll know. Took me 1 min. to figure out...
Old 08-24-2003, 01:04 AM
More On

Originally posted by TSXautoXer
Someone please confirm the answer the door handle design of the car. Check pictures from the manufacturer's website and you'll know. Took me 1 min. to figure out...
To figure out WHAT????

WHAT ABOUT the door handle, TSXX? (Remember, this would have to be something about both the Accord Coupe and the G35 sedan, but not the Accord sedan and the G35 coupe.)
Old 08-24-2003, 01:15 AM
Racer

Re: Can you handle a little quiz?

Before I found the TSX, I had high hopes for the new Honda Accord coupe. I think it really is a fine car, but it has one little "problem" that became a show stopper for me. It's sister car, the Accord sedan doesn't have this problem. In the case of the Infiniti G35, the situation is reversed - the sedan has the problem, but the couple does not.

This is such an important "problem" for me that as much as I love the TSX, if it had the same problem I would not have bought it.

So - what's the problem?

My first guess: something to do with interior handles on the roof of the car.

Second guess: external trunk release button.

Old 08-24-2003, 01:38 AM
More On

I'm saying TSXX was right -- Senior hates the exterior handles on the Accord coupe and the G35 sedan, and the reason he put "problem" in "quotes" was because he knows it might be considered a stupid reason.

Actually I don't know enough yet to be totally sure about this, but here's what I found in a review of the G35's, in something called the Carlisle Test Drives:

The slightly hotter motor’s just the beginning of the differences between the G35 coupe and sedan. “It’s shorter, lower and wider; even the mirrors and door handles are different“....

.....And this is from an msn.com review of the G35 coupe:

Tight parking spots are a problem because long, heavy doors make it difficult—sometimes impossible—to get in and out. However, the large outside door handles are easily gripped.

It may be that the last part isn't true of the sedan.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:54 AM
Racer

I would agree. The door handles on the G35 Sedan and Accord Coupe are both flush with the car, while the G35 Coupe and Accord Sedan have the TSX type of door handles.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:00 AM
More On

You know, I've never thought of this aspect of cars before. Probably every car I've owned has had the TSX's type of door handles. I think that occasionally I've rented cars that had the "flush" kind, and I never thought much about it but I did notice them, subliminally. I guess I sort of thought the "flush" kind were cool, the way you pull them up like that. But, come to think of it, I do sometimes like being able to use the "normal" handles to brace myself.

Not just in tight spots, or to keep from falling down (which doesn't happen that often, believe it or not) -- just to allow more elaborate choreography. I like doing things with panache.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:04 AM
More On

Originally posted by BuddySol
I would agree. The door handles on the G35 Sedan and Accord Coupe are both flush with the car, while the G35 Coupe and Accord Sedan have the TSX type of door handles.
Hey, Buddy -- how tf did you know this?
Old 08-24-2003, 02:09 AM
Racer

So.. when we do get our answer?
Old 08-24-2003, 02:10 AM

All I did was just opened up 4 browser window and select the cars that TSeniorX mentioned, and immediately i noticed the door handle design was different...
Old 08-24-2003, 02:10 AM
More On

Take my word, FH -- you have it!

(Right, Senior?)
Old 08-24-2003, 02:13 AM

Refresh your browser...and stop using those words. I was being polite to you earlier, but your first reply to mine wasn't all that friendly.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:19 AM
Racer

The answer was just the door handles?.... hm i c...
Old 08-24-2003, 02:23 AM
has been here awhile

Yeah--it's gotta be the door handles. Good work...especially TSXautoXer. Seems that you figured it out first (completely, at least)

Anyway, why did the pull-type door handles sell you on the car, TSeniorX?

SPUDMTN
Old 08-24-2003, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by larchmont
Take my word, FH -- you have it!

(Right, Senior?)
Okay DH, stop being defensive. Using profanity to defend yourself being proved dumber. Admit it, things that you couldn't figure out in hours only took me less than 1 minute...what can I say? Good job? Ban me if you would. I don't give a F!
Old 08-24-2003, 02:26 AM
Racer

Okay DH, stop being defensive. Using profanity to defend yourself being proved dumber. Admit it, things that you couldn't figure out in hours only took me less than 1 minute...what can I say? Good job? Ban me if you would. I don't give a F!
What's DH?
Old 08-24-2003, 02:56 AM
More On

Refresh your browser...and stop using those words. I was being polite to you earlier, but your first reply to mine wasn't all that friendly.
Hey, pal -- do us a favor:

Take a deep breath, calm down, and don't be so quick to take offense.

I don't know what you're upset about, except that it must be some kind of misunderstanding.

Did you think "FH" was some kind of insult toward you? And did you think it was an insult when I asked what you meant about the door handles???

If so: When I asked what you had figured out, I was only wondering, because you hadn't said what you meant.

And, "FH" is just short for finalheaven, who has been posting on here. I was talking to him. I can't imagine what bad thing you might have thought it meant, or why you might have thought it was directed at you, but on the other hand I can't see WHAT ELSE you're talking about, so I'm guessing it's this.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:17 AM
Race Director

I have a guess, have power passenger seats?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:27 AM

Guess what larch, I'm calm, and actually don't enjoy saying such things. Anyways, if it's all a misunderstanding, I apologize if I offended you in any ways. Have fun.

The reason I misunderstood, is that your post is directly under mine...
Old 08-24-2003, 03:32 AM
More On

.....The reason I misunderstood, is that your post is directly under mine...
Understandable.....I guess. Except if you take a look, you'll see that those two posts were done at exactly the same time, so I couldn't have been replying to you.

Anyway, good that we got it straightened out.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:14 AM
Advanced

In looking at the responses, I could see people "creeping up" on the answer, and I think TSXautoXer was the first to get there.

Yes, it's the door handles!

For years, most manufacturers have used what to my mind are the less user friendly (and IMO less stylish) "flipper" type handles. I assume this was because they were cheaper and easier to install? And I think VW and BMW were among the first to start using the nice "grab and pull out" handles that are becoming increasingly popular. I think they look nicer and are easier for most people to use.

I started this thread based on my disappointment with Honda in keeping the old "flippers" on the coupe, while putting the nicer handles on the sedan. If these are brand new models, why wouldn't they put the nice handles on both of them? You'll notice the G35 sedan has the flippers, but the coupe has the good ones.

We all have little things that make a big difference to us, and for me, the door handle is my first contact with the car and I just think the "grab and pull out" are the nicest you can find.

And yes, it makes that much difference to me that it would have kept me from buying the TSX if it had the flippers.

Thank you all for being such good sports about my idiotic fascination with car door handles!
Old 08-24-2003, 08:48 AM
Racer

Originally posted by larchmont
Hey, Buddy -- how tf did you know this?
Was reading this thread and when everyone was guessing it was the handles, I decided to just check it out for myself. And low and behold, there they were.

Quick Reply: Can you handle a little quiz?