A/C always turns on by default...? I just wanna use the heater!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C always turns on by default...? I just wanna use the heater!

OK this is bugging me, everytime I want to just blow some heat the AC compressor goes on. I use the up fan arrow to go to 1 or 2 bars, and I know the AC is on.

I have to hit the AC button so the LCD reads "AC OFF" is there a way to change this?
Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
It switches on by default to control humidity and defog the windows

Is it really that big of a deal?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Advanced

It's not that big of a deal just sometimes its left on and I keep forgetting the AC is running..
Old 11-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Instructor

I don't understand how you "know" that the AC is running.

I would be surprised if you press the "Auto" button, set the temperature to something higher than the current temperature, and then find the AC compressor engaged. However, if you press the "Defrost" button, then the AC runs to remove moisture. To have a system that runs both the heat and the AC simultaneously in a house would be a violation of the building code in most states, even though it works just as well.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Racer

Just turn the AC compressor off everytime you go to use the heat. I don't believe there is another way around it.

I hate the auto dimming mirror function... so guess what: everytime I start the car I just turn off the function. I've been doing it for over 3 years now and it feels like part of the cars start-up procedure. You just get used to doing it.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Modding newbie

The AC compressor doesn't just make air cold, it removes the moisture. If you blew hot, moist air into the car, you'd be uncomfortable, and unable to see after the windows fog up. The AC keeps the moisture out so you're comfortable and not foggy even when you have the heater on.
Again I have to ask, why does it matter if the AC is on or not?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:39 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

It DOES matter. Everytime you start the car you have to turn the AC off if you forgot to turn it off before shutting the car down. If you wanna save on replacing that compressor for $1300, that on/off when the car starts is a drain. Also one wants to start the car with ac off, stereo off and lights off.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

Besides, there is a lot of reasons why having AC on or not MATTERS, here are the reasons for my self (no idea about 150shot):
-I don't like AC unless it is well above 80 deg,
-Car feels slower,
-worse gas mileage
-I wanna save the AC and make the compressor break down as late as possible,
etc ...
Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kanonen
Besides, there is a lot of reasons why having AC on or not MATTERS, here are the reasons for my self (no idea about 150shot):
-Car feels slower,
-worse gas mileage
etc ...
Kanonen- you got my point exactly! I'm an open air type guy and like the windows open when all possible. AC does bog down the car, and this car "feels" alot faaster and much more fun to drive than alot of cars I've owned.

I dont need to lose any more gas mileage as well and other extra wear and tear.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:24 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate having the compressor on with the heat as well. So i just turn the a/c to off on the navi screen. Does the non navi have this off button as well? Its not a standard button normally available on most cars so i wonder how one would be able to turn it on and off.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:28 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

Roger, in non navi, if you turn the fan off, then turn it on, it comes with AC enabled by default. So the whole problem for those not using AC is that everytime they turn the fan on, they have to disable the AC. What i do is let the fan on all the time...i figured that's the only solution i have not to keep turning the AC off every time.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Is there an economy setting on your units?

If so, that would reduce wear and tear
Old 11-17-2009, 08:40 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Is there an economy setting on your units?

If so, that would reduce wear and tear
economy! I'd say no, to the risk of looking like a fool if it turns out to exist
Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Senior Moderator

This may not apply to the TSX, but a lot of newer Hondas and Acuras will turn off the compressor as needed in 'Auto' mode
Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Modding newbie

Yep, our compressor is cycled as it's needed when it's in "auto" mode.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hahah i do this all the time soo funny someone else brought it up.

And auto the auto dimming mirror that bothered me too so i just unplugged the power wire to the back of it. Done
Old 11-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Racer

Roger, in non navi, if you turn the fan off, then turn it on, it comes with AC enabled by default. So the whole problem for those not using AC is that everytime they turn the fan on, they have to disable the AC. What i do is let the fan on all the time...i figured that's the only solution i have not to keep turning the AC off every time.
Same here. I also know that the air will always be filtered when I keep the fan on all the time.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So what is the final theory regarding always leaving the a/c compressor on vs turning it on and off when needed? Which one would prolong or shorten the life of the a/c system?

What i mean is, is it better to just turn on the ac and leave it on continuously, or turn it off once its cool, then back on again when it gets too warm. I would imagine that turning it off as much as possible is better as the compressor is off for longer periods of time. But some people say that constant on and off actually shortens the compressor life.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:30 AM
TSX 2005 Manual

air on on minimum, ac off all the time. That way when you start the car ac doesn't come up.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
air on on minimum, ac off all the time. That way when you start the car ac doesn't come up.
Not true. To best maintain your ac system you need to run it at least 10 mimnutes continuously at least once a week. The reason for this is the lubricating oil is contained in the freon. If you don't circulate it the compressor doesn't stay oiled for when you do want to use it. Circulating the freon also helps keep the seals in the system from dry rotting and leaking and it helps to keep mouisture out of the system.

Yes, having it kick on all the time can be annoying. It does draw some power from the engine and if you do a lot of low speed driving it can negatively effect your gas mileage. But its a small price to pay for my personal comfort
Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Modding newbie

So you want your compressor off to do 2 things, not use it ever so it lasts longer, and to save fuel? You're driving a $30,000 vehicle and are worried about having to replace a $1000 part at 9 years instead of 10? I don't understand that, at all. Also, never using your AC is bad. You need it to run, or it will fail much sooner than if you don't run it. You're not saving yourself any repair costs by trying to never use the AC. Just use it and be comfortable while you save money.
If you're not using the compressor to save fuel, sell your TSX and get some random fuel saving vehicle. I hear the R18 Civic gets about 36 on the highway. Really, the extra fuel you burn by using the compressor is less then negligible. If that's going to break you, you should get a bike instead of a vehicle. You'll also save on insurance that way.

I guess I'm just not understanding the purpose of wanting the compressor off. Air conditioning isn't just about making air colder. Your AC (compressor) does other things for you.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

Itchy, I think you got my point and you understood what I said. And again i didn't say i didn't want to use the AC ever, there will be plenty of days where the temps is higher than 80 deg. In any case that's ok if you do not understand even though I tried to explain in a simple way for the simple people like you.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

Honestly it pisses me off when people like itchy come and write a visceral non constructive post and say this:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe
So you want your compressor off to do 2 things, not use it ever so it lasts longer, and to save fuel?...
While these were my reasons in an earlier post:
-Car feels slower,
-worse gas mileage
etc ...
What is it?....someone doesn't know how to read and understand?

Last edited by kanonen; 11-19-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Really, the extra fuel you burn by using the compressor is less then negligible.
People always claim that you get worse gas mileage with the A/C on. In all honesty, I've never noticed a drop in fuel economy when running the A/C in my TSX.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
It depends on your speed. If you're traveling at interstate speeds, you'll get better mileage with the a/c on vs open windows. The drag created by opening the windows at high speeds requires more engine power to overcome than the load created by the compressor.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

Yes mythbusters, I believe, did a show on that. I am not sure how valid their results are, but I can see that keeping windows open will create heavy drag that will offset gas consumption from the AC being on. But in my view the cheer drop in power when I hit that AC button is telling about gas consumption. Besides the fact that it makes acceleration dull!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Modding newbie

-Car feels slower,
-worse gas mileage
etc ...
1. Ok you don't like the AC, so you want it off. Turn it off and be done with it. I still don't understand why you dislike a highly sought after convience like automatic climate control in a vehicle. Do you dislike dry cool/warm air? I tend to prefer it over its humid opposition. This has to be the point that I'm not understanding. Why do you dislike the compressor? What's so bad about it?
2. Car feels slower. Placebo effect. Your compressor is off half the time you have it turned on. Sit in the parking lot with it on and listen to how much it cycles on and off. If it's always slower with it turned on, you've fallen victim to the infamous placebo. You also wouldn't notice the parasitic draw it creates unless you were at full throttle. 100 hp feels like 100 hp if you're reducing 150 hp by 50, or 500 hp by 400.
3. Gas mileage? Pfft, if you can't handle 0.5 mpg less, get a prius hybrid and give someone else the K24 to enjoy. No wait, you don't like a car that feels slow. Wait a second, do you want less parasitic draw to have a faster car, or to have better fuel economy?
4. You wanna save it? Use it more. Worst thing you can possibly do is rarely use it. You're asking for trouble by doing that. Use it to save it. It's like a tire. Prolonged non-use will get you dry rot and then it won't last anywhere near as long as it would if you just drove on it.

I can't help you with 1 and 4, but if you want to find a way to not give a *#@# about 2 or 3, get some lightweight pulleys. You'll get both better fuel economy and less parasitic draw which yeilds you better performance. Best of both worlds, and I'm sure our vendors can make you a good deal on them. Heck I got about 8% better fuel economy overnight with my UR pulleys. They more than made up for the compressor loss, even if I found a way to get it to never turn off, and stuck a stick in it to increase it's drag.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

ok, I am gonna answer you for the last time and i am sure you won't get it.

-I like the AC but i will turn it on only when it is hot enough. My "hot enough" is obviously different from your "hot enough"-those are personal preferences.

-What placebo are you talking about!! If the AC is engaged " half the time", and "half the time" is when i am driving in town at slow speed stopping at red lights or traffic jams, then i will feel the car bogged down...."half the time" that is according to you. When I put first gear and engage the car from a red light, I know if the AC is engaged or not...just by the feel of the car.

-I do not like Prius and do not like electric/gas cars until they make something to my taste. I can still try to drive my tsx and make sure my driving is saving gas. I can also when i want to, drive it aggressively and with a sporty spirit (which I do often). So if I chose to save .5 mpg that's not bad- I do 300 miles/week, I'll take that.

-"You wanna save it, use it often" huh!! There was an intelligent post by litesout in this thread that says that "you need to run it at least 10 minutes continuously at least once a week" if that is correct sure I will do it, which actually turns out to be less than how much I use it on non hot days specially when itis cold to get the inside fog out. But the "You wanna save it, use it often" statement is kinda not too smart and thoughtful and that goes with the rest of your post.

You can't argue with people about facts: AC bogs down, increases gas consumption and continuous use of AC shortens it life.
You can't argue with people about preferences: some people want AC when it gets to a certain temperature.

Besides, the thread was about how to control the car such that one can turn the AC when the driver WANTS it and that is Not when u turn the fan on. That's it.

Last edited by kanonen; 11-20-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Advanced

1. Ok you don't like the AC, so you want it off. Turn it off and be done with it. I still don't understand why you dislike a highly sought after convience like automatic climate control in a vehicle. Do you dislike dry cool/warm air? I tend to prefer it over its humid opposition. This has to be the point that I'm not understanding. Why do you dislike the compressor? What's so bad about it?
2. Car feels slower. Placebo effect. Your compressor is off half the time you have it turned on. Sit in the parking lot with it on and listen to how much it cycles on and off. If it's always slower with it turned on, you've fallen victim to the infamous placebo. You also wouldn't notice the parasitic draw it creates unless you were at full throttle. 100 hp feels like 100 hp if you're reducing 150 hp by 50, or 500 hp by 400.
3. Gas mileage? Pfft, if you can't handle 0.5 mpg less, get a prius hybrid and give someone else the K24 to enjoy. No wait, you don't like a car that feels slow. Wait a second, do you want less parasitic draw to have a faster car, or to have better fuel economy?
4. You wanna save it? Use it more. Worst thing you can possibly do is rarely use it. You're asking for trouble by doing that. Use it to save it. It's like a tire. Prolonged non-use will get you dry rot and then it won't last anywhere near as long as it would if you just drove on it.

I can't help you with 1 and 4, but if you want to find a way to not give a *#@# about 2 or 3, get some lightweight pulleys. You'll get both better fuel economy and less parasitic draw which yeilds you better performance. Best of both worlds, and I'm sure our vendors can make you a good deal on them. Heck I got about 8% better fuel economy overnight with my UR pulleys. They more than made up for the compressor loss, even if I found a way to get it to never turn off, and stuck a stick in it to increase it's drag.
Wow- I check in here a couple days later and what this has turned into.

Itchy- I didnt come here to learn the value of the "30k TSX" and if I cant handle a few less MPG or stuff like that. I have the TSX as a middle car to save $ when I can and at the same time offer some luxury.

I was surprised to see your statement that I have to remember driving a 30k TSX and what comes with it ...I've been fortunate and have owned very high end cars, but never look down on anyone.

My NSX and previous ones were heavily modded and get a good 15MPG and I drive the hell out of it. My SL gets MAYBE 10MPG and I dont care as I just smoked the tires bigtime yesterday..........so if I want to save a little by turning off the AC, getting a bit more gas or anything I value these little things.

We all know the TSX is not a civic, and no I'm not going to buy a PRIUS/metro or so on, I value opinions here and yours too, but I dont think we need to reminded that the TSX is 30k car, or I could easily say the NSX is a 90k car, SL a 140k car and so on.....and now what?

BUt for now yes I will keep turning the AC off ...
Old 11-23-2009, 07:38 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by carmagnut

I hate the auto dimming mirror function... so guess what: everytime I start the car I just turn off the function. I've been doing it for over 3 years now and it feels like part of the cars start-up procedure. You just get used to doing it.

I have tints on my windows and don't need that feature so I just unplugged the auto dimming mirror harness behind the mirror. Problem solved.